2-5: "The Ghost of Harrenhal" 2012.04.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

439 replies to this topic

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

He must know that kind of "son" doesn't count as an heir, even if he's clearly a papa's boy IMO.

On the other hand as Renly would attest there is no arguing with a smoke baby. I for one welcome my new misty overlord!

I try to look on the bright side, at least Renly died as the uncle of the most original nephew in the whole Westeros!

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

Never really thought about how much heat the wall guards are probably losing through the tops of their heads, but I can understand why bulky hats might make closeups less palatable. Maybe the men could invent the world's first earmuffs?

revelation

revelation

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

This was posted a bit later than planned. Let me know if you like it.

The Ghost of Harrenhall, a summary in Verse.

An alliance with Robb, Renly has worded
then by a shadow he is murdered
With Cat a pact, Renly'd hatched,
then by a shade his life was snatched.
Would be like the new Robert and Ned
And then suddenly poor Renly's dead

Melisandre's shade baby
Only Lady Cat and Brienne did see
Had no choice but then to flee
Who would believe them? No-one, None
Have no choice, away they must run
Although they do now look guilty
To Lady Cat, Brienne pledges fealty.

With Renly now assassinated,
die for Renly, Brienne was not fated,
until his death to hold him she'd waited
She wants her revenge on Stannis to be sated.
And by a river sat. Brienne pledged her sword to Cat.
Her Liege Lady, Cat is elected.
Brienne will ensure Catelyn's protected.

Tyrell fortunes have fell,
Renly would have been great, Loras did yell
Although for Margaery, his Sis
Her husband not so much a miss
Her he would never want to kiss
very far from marriage bliss

She had offered to do her duty,
but he just did not want her booty.
Renly for Margy had no ardor
cos for her brother he got harder
Although she put aside her pride
Margy just wanted him inside
but consummation she was denied
because her brother, her spouse eyed.
Margy still wants to be Queen
Littefinger, opportunity has seen?

About Melisandre's shadow, Davos is pained
Lord Seaworth feels that honour's stained
But Stannis' support of Mel remained.
From Renly his bannermen reclaimed
and the largest army now obtained
to lead the Fleet, Davos was named.
As an Admiral, Davos is untrained
But loyalty to Stannis remains ingrained.

To lay siege to Torrhen's Square
Theon Greyjoy will instead dare
In Theon, his Dad's not a believer
As he's still unproven as a reaver
He is told to raid The Stony Shore
To gain respect he plans much more
And away the garrison of Winterfell lure

Bran dreams of the three-eyed crow
and over the walls of the castle the sea does flow.
But what do they mean? Bran does not know
Although Bran is ruling well,
about the dreams, Osha won't tell
As we see Ser Rodrick Cassell
and his men ride out from Winterfell

At the Fist of the First Men
Still no news of Stark, Benjen.
For Gilly, Sam is still yearning
from Books, Sam has been learning,
one horn blast, means Rangers returning,
2 blasts for Wildling foe,
3 for White Walkers, Sam does know,
Thanks to the help of Ghost and Jon Snow,
Sam's becoming a valuable crow.

To the Ravens, Sam must tend
All the messages, Sam must send.
To Gilly assistance, he would lend,
But to his duties his will must bend,
For herself Gilly must fend.
Sam wanted him and Jon to aid her,
but they had to go and find Mance Rayder!

In the greatest city there has ever been
Daenerys meets with the Qartheen
She seeks allies from the Thirteen
Widowed once Dany has been
Will another marriage make her Queen?

Rescued her from Red Waste woes
Food he supplies and fancy clothes
Dany wonders what she now owes
A marriage does her host propose
And doubt in Jorah, he now sows

Dany is unsure which path to tread
Marry me, Xaro has said
King Robert the Usurper is dead
And civil war divides those he led

Lion and Wolf and Stag do fight
Ruling Westeros is her birthright
Her dragons are her source of might
Although still small, kept out of sight

Dany feeds her Dragons meat
that they first use their flames to heat
Now that they're eating, they will grow
and one day, in her enemies fear will sow

Her dragons are a coveted prize
but currently a vulnerable size.
Is it these, that her suitor eyes?

Xaro offers her marriage, men and ships
Dany meets Pyat Pree, warlock with blue lips
Jorah sees a masked lady who makes cryptic quips
Dany is invited to the House of the Undying
Stealing all the gold, the Dothraki are trying
Does Jorah love her or was Xaro lying?

Jorah thinks he can't be trusted
but for Dany has Jorah lusted?
Xaro's generous and full of laughter
But is it her dragons, that he's after?

Bronn on Tyrion, he waited,
Tyrion finds out that he is hated
Mob thinks the Imp's a demon monkey
But his cousin Lancel's now his flunkey

Lancel Lanister is now tame,
Tyrion threatened him with Jaime
After pleading he is not to blame
He told the Imp of liquid flame

Cersei to Tyrion proved a liar
and so Cersei has now raised his ire
His sister, Tyrion would defy her
Her secret weapons, he would deny her
The pyromancer he did hire
to continue making his wildfire
but now gift it to the Hand entire
Bronn thinks King's Landing might end up a pyre.

To a Lannister Guard A Man has now turned?
She was a girl Jaqen discerned.
From A Man, Arya has learned,
Three murders now she has earned,
For saving three from being burned.
Speak their names and they are dead
For the Red God, A Man has said.

Arya thinks Harrenahal is cursed,
lucky in heraldry, she's versed,
when helping slake Lord Tywin's thirst.
She chose The Tickler for the first,
As rat bucketing is the worst,
Payback for the people Tickler hurt.
She sees Gendry without his shirt.

The Lannisters men have caught her
She's serving Lord Tywin his water
they don't know she's Ned Stark's Daughter
although intently Lions have sought her
Saving three lives, three deaths has bought her
She tells Gendry what Syrio taught her.

About Robb Stark, Tywin is vexed
Arya thinks about who to choose next
who exactly does she hate the most?
Give the name to the Harrenhall Ghost
But will she dare to name her host?

Edited by revelation, May 5, 2012 @ 3:51 PM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Very good as always!

tgray

tgray

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

This actually does make a little bit of sense for the climate (unlike the lack of hats)

Black absorbs more sunlight so it'd be warmer, even if it is less conducive to camouflage.

Yes, but black would also let you body heat escape. Even though wearing white deflects the sun's rays, white would also reflect your body heat trapping it between your body and clothing. This would keep you warmer as well as provide great cover.

bloggyblogblog

bloggyblogblog

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

Yes, but black would also let you body heat escape. Even though wearing white deflects the sun's rays, white would also reflect your body heat trapping it between your body and clothing. This would keep you warmer as well as provide great cover.

That is entirely dependent on the type of clothing and the air temperature. If it's as damn cold out as an environment where a hundred meter (?) wall of ice is standing there, I'm going with black clothing as you're going to want to capture every bit of radiant heat energy you can, and you're not some jogger running around in white tights with only a single layer to trap your heat loss.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

hundred meter (?) wall of ice

Seven hundred feet high, three hundred miles long. [/pedantic]

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:05 AM

If black makes you easier for the enemy to spot, well, it also makes you easier for your own men to spot, and it makes it much easier to recognize a group of your own men and tell them apart from anyone else out there. The fact that it shows very well against the snow means others are more likely to find you, should you happen to get lost in the snow.

Weighing the pros against the cons, black seems a smart choice, since you're probably going to need your own side to be able to find you, far more often than you're going to need to be camouflaged against the other side.

Janjan

Janjan

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

Interesting discussion of clothing color in the cold. Hence, polar bears (solitary) are white, while penguins (social) are black. Actually, penguins are colored for camouflage in water -- black on back so hard to see from above and white in front so hard to see from below. Big seals, who can swim fast, are usually dark, but their sitting-duck little babies are usually white. And polar and alpine armies are typically dressed in white. So it looks like camouflage trumps heat retention where there's danger. Except for our intrepid Night's Watch, but they look neat in black and that trumps even camouflage.

bloggyblogblog

bloggyblogblog

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

Polar Bears actually have black skin to aid with heat capture; the fur color is to match their hunting environs (and as I learned, secondarily to some rather technical stuff about the hollowness of the hair shaft). Kind of cool.

Anyway, I imagine that since the Wall isn't going anywhere, and the primary responsibility of the Watch is the protection of that wall (rangering is more an outgrowth of that responsibility) the usefulness of camouflage would probably be trumped by the practicality of staying warm. After all, if your enemies are looking for you, there's the rather large castles stuck to the big block of ice where they can ring the bell.

Edited by bloggyblogblog, May 6, 2012 @ 11:28 AM.

Janjan

Janjan

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

some rather technical stuff about the hollowness of the hair shaft

Horse hair, too, which is one reason they tolerate cold so well. Plus, long gut (heat generated by long slow digestion of fibrous material). Love that technical stuff.

But we may be beating a dead polar bear wondering about the Night's Watch couture. The decision was made (of course) by the set designers, sitting in their warm room. Hmmm. How do we make Jon's time in "exile" look bleak? Aha! Make everything black and white. Hmmm. Snow is white; ice is white. How can the audience see the people? I have it -- dress them in black!

joshatreides

joshatreides

Just Tuned In

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

The Night's Watch are called "crows" for a reason. They wear black.They dye their own clothes black. No set designer or producer came up with this design, it's all George RR Martin. It's one of the few aspects of costume design that has been lifted verbatim from the books.

Also, for the aesthetics of television they decided to not have the Night's Watchmen wear hoods or hats. Actors like people seeing their face. It also reinforces to everyone the difference between the Crows at the Wall like Mormont, Jon Snow and co and the rangers beyond the Wall like the Halfhand and Benjen Stark for example.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I can see the lack of white clothes as being a fiscal decision. White fabrics are probably rather rare and expensive.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

Yeah, they might just have a lot of black sheep, (or at least they did when they made the clothing regulations). Really less important than wearing all white or all black is that they're wearing wool, which keeps most of its insulation ability even when wet.

And besides if the watch, poor as they are, had to dress in all white they'd all just be gray and brown anyway.

Janjan

Janjan

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

they might just have a lot of black sheep

Hee!

And speaking of survival, what are these poor refugees, exiles, and black sheep eating? They're not farming, hunting walruses, or herding reindeer. Those are all full-time jobs. LC Mormont bitches, "Ham? Again?!" But there are no piggies in sight (and what would *they* eat anyway), so they must be shipping food in. Paid for how?

Point being, mundane trivia like survival gear and supplies are probably not meant to be pondered too deeply.

Edited by Janjan, May 6, 2012 @ 4:21 PM.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

And speaking of survival, what are these poor refugees, exiles, and black sheep eating? They're not farming, hunting walruses, or herding reindeer. Those are all full-time jobs. LC Mormont bitches, "Ham? Again?!" But there are no piggies in sight (and what would *they* eat anyway), so they must be shipping food in. Paid for how?

Point being, mundane trivia like survival gear and supplies are probably not meant to be pondered too deeply.

Speaking purely with knowledge from the show, we know there is a settlement of some kind south of Castle Black called Moletown, close enough for officers to 'go whoring' as Commander Mormont put it and get back in time to not be executed for desertion, so they probably also get supplies from there. They could expend a few seconds more explaining the mundanity of Night's Watch life, but to not take up too much time it would probably end up being of little help, much like the debate in the Unsullied thread about whether the Battle of the Trident has been mentioned in show or not (it has, in such a way we know it was an important battle in the rebellion against the Targaryens, but was so brief as to be easy to miss or comprehend).

Some stewards may have the assignment of going hunting for all I know as well, as a full time duty.

Expanding a little on the Watch and supplies, [just a minor detail they have not wasted time expanding on, nothing plot related to anything seen to date]
Spoiler

Edited by kieran555, May 6, 2012 @ 4:42 PM.

Cory Lee Hill

Cory Lee Hill

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

And speaking of survival, what are these poor refugees, exiles, and black sheep eating? They're not farming, hunting walruses, or herding reindeer. Those are all full-time jobs

Yeah they'd need a whole order of stewards and caretakers to do that while the Builders maintain the castle and the Rangers go out on patrols. Oh wait...
Sorry cheap joke.

Edited by Cory Lee Hill, May 6, 2012 @ 5:54 PM.

Malle Babbe

Malle Babbe

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

I can see the lack of white clothes as being a fiscal decision. White fabrics are probably rather rare and expensive.

That, and white clothing would become gray clothing rather quickly, and I imagine the Night's Watch would prefer its stewards keep everyone fed and well supplied than going through epic amounts of the Westerosi equivalent of bleach (which was probably urine, as was the case in the ancient world).

Now that I think about it, the only group of soldiers in Westeros who wear white are members of the Kingsguard, and I could totally see there being a taboo against any other group using that color...

Raja

Raja

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Speaking purely with knowledge from the show, we know there is a settlement of some kind south of Castle Black called Moletown, close enough for officers to 'go whoring' as Commander Mormont put it and get back in time to not be executed for desertion, so they probably also get supplies from there. They could expend a few seconds more explaining the mundanity of Night's Watch life, but to not take up too much time it would probably end up being of little help, much like the debate in the Unsullied thread about whether the Battle of the Trident has been mentioned in show or not (it has, in such a way we know it was an important battle in the rebellion against the Targaryens, but was so brief as to be easy to miss or comprehend).

Actually a lot of that information was on the HBO website which I thought was much better last season. And it actually is the perfect way to do that. Give you the information you have to have for the flow of the story on the show and then give you the background on the website. This season the stuff given to you on the HBO and HBOGo websites seem a lot less comprehensive. I could say say it was to be less spoilery except I've found it not to be. Or maybe if I was actually spoiled and read all five books I'd actually find out I was spoiled. But probably it was simplified down to encourage people to buy the dvd / blu rays for the extras. Actually thoroughly enjoyed those on the box set. Particularly all the pre-history stuff about the children of the forest and what not. But I'm digressing far too much.

As for the advantages of black over other colors. I think many a lazy college student can list one. Black can hide dirt and stains better than say white. This is a time and place where a frequent hot baths was something only the upper crust really enjoyed. And the Night's Watch was poor in a cold dank place. I don't think white or any light colored garb would necessarily stay those shades for long. Even with (or especially because of) frequent washings. It also is not necessarily the worst color to choose. You can still try to blend in with the rocks or trees. Can't do that with blue or red.

KYBlonde

KYBlonde

Fanatic

• Interests:Snarking on TWoP

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

Watching the marathon and waiting impatiently for the new season premiere tonight. I'm absolutely verklempt!!!