2-5: "The Ghost of Harrenhal" 2012.04.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

439 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

TVGuide sez:

The Baratheon rivalry ends, drawing different reactions from Catelyn and Littlefinger; Tyrion finds Joffrey's defense plan at King's Landing lacking, but also learns of a mysterious secret weapon; Theon continues to prove himself to his father by sailing to the Stony Shore; Arya gets a promise from Jaqen H'ghar; the Night's Watch regroup at an ancient fortress called the Fist of the First Men.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

A man keeps his word, apparently.
Renly's death by shadow was predictable, but still cool as hell. Davos' instincts will probably prove correct, though.
Damn, Dany cleaned up nice.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Did I just see the first ever Game of Thrones episode without nudity or a sex scene? Haha it's a miracle!

Ben Stilwell

Ben Stilwell

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Well loved this episode.
Best part for me was the scene with Tywin and Arya. The look on his face after she said that anyone can die was pure lannister gold.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I just love how she held his gaze when grown men have crumbled under it.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Arg, not Renly! *cry* At least Catelyn and Brienne should be awesome.

Really want Arya, Gendry and long-haired guy to run off and have happy adventures together.

Tyrion's recent maneuvering has me stumped. I don't really see what he wants with the fire potion stuff. Maybe he is trying to win daddy's approval by taking down Stannis Baeratheon on his own?

WatchrTina

WatchrTina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Well, that was a complicated episode. I read the books and still found it difficult to follow. I cant imagine what it was like for the unsullied.

The good:

Aryas new friend is both efficient and sexy.

Iceland doubles nicely as north-of-the-Wall.

Gendry looks good with his shirt off

The bad:

The Kings Landing scenes (confusing)

The Qarth scenes (confusing)

The Pyke scenes (I just hate the Grayjoys.)

ceelovejay

ceelovejay

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

The staredown between Arya and Tywin MADE this episode!!

Oh, Gendry shirtless came in a close second.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

It was esp since he gave her deathglare and she threw is right back. lol Iron people so boring. sigh. Love Brianne and Cat's sistermance. Bye Renly. One down I guess. I'm loving the visuals in Dany's story. Who was the ninja lady? Is she from Westeros and is keeping on eye on Dany to make sure she does what she is "suppose" too? Bran is a very good little lord. During that scene I got a good laugh at imagining his cousin Robin trying to do the same thing. What a difference one's parents make eh? Jon's story bores me. Perhaps it is the visuals again.

Tiznowbaby

Tiznowbaby

Video Archivist

Hmmmm, was that Arya or just the camera lingering over Gendry's abs.

Don't think I want to be north of the wall.

Does shadow creature still live to do Melidandre's bidding or was that a one off assassination?

illinidiva

illinidiva

Video Archivist

Yes.. A man does keep his word. However, a girl should perhaps think bigger - Perhaps King Joffrey, Queen Cersei, and Lord Tywin. (Of course, if Arya did that, then there would be no story.)

Overall it was a great episode - It's nice that Jon and Dany's stories are picking up.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Don't think I want to be north of the wall.

Didn't seem to affect Sam's mood at all. His cheerfulness was hilarious.

screamin

screamin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

It seems verging on the stupid for Tywin to have this Northern girl in charge of serving him his easily poisoned beverages; it annoyed me, anyway.

ReflexOne

ReflexOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Ohhh, Renly.

That scene between Cat and the woman knight ... DAMN I can't remember her name ... THAT was powerful acting. Awesome.

I'm glad Arya's being able to weave a lot of her truth into her lies of omissions to Tywin. I haven't read the books, but it seems like the only way to keep herself alive and undiscovered AS Lady Arya of House Stark. He's smart, so if you admit to what he's figured out he might congratulate himself on having figured it out and not follow any farther.

I want the Red Woman AND her shadow baby dead reeeeeaaaaallll bad now. And Stannis. Not just regular bad. REAL bad.

There was too much in this episode.

Danerys was pretty much gold the whole episode. And awwwww, baby dragon's first fire breathing! I wonder how long until they fly.

Oh, and the Iron Islanders can generally go to hell.

I'm glad we've seen more of ... Orsha? Is that her name? The one helping Bran. She's his unofficial adviser where things mystical come in. Plus I just love the two's conversations in general.

Yeek. It's been a bit since I've been going "next episode NOW, please."

LeGeekCestChic

LeGeekCestChic

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

How can a mask be so creepy and beautiful at the same time?

Also, Rickon scared me more than the shadow did.

TargetDemo

TargetDemo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

That black smoke monster didn't look as fully formed as it was in the birth scene. Do they dissipate slowly or something?
I enjoyed seeing the dragons. Maybe they'll start growing now that they've something to eat?
Is it wrong that I enjoy seeing Theon Greyjoy humiliated? He's such a worthless, disgusting little piece of shit.
A welcome Jeoffrey break, and also a Ceresi/Tyrion scene? Every week, please!
I might ship Brienne and Cat. What? What're you looking at? Bonus: Litlefinger, Lord Slime, would splode.

Anguissette

Anguissette

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Loved the episode. More interesting book diversions. I wonder how the people who were considering ditching the show after last episode will feel after this one. Favorite bits in no particular order:

- Arya's improv
- the Tywin vs. Arya stare off after "anyone can be killed"
- Bran's Winterfell-running kickassery
- Drunk Cersei
- The Bronn and Tyrion show
- More groveling Lancel (He grovels so well)
- Itty bitty cutesy Drogon! (I asked my hubby if I could have one)
- Quaithe!
- Dagmer Cleftjaw!

I know I'm missing things. I will now spend the next several hours obsessively refreshing this page to see reactions.

TyrionLannister

TyrionLannister

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

I thought Melisandre's shadow thing was going to wreak havoc all over Renly's camp, not just kill Renly. Would've liked to see Melisandre right after the birthing.

Sad to see Renly go. What was the point of showing us his angst with Margaery?

I continue to believe that Stannis somehow knew about Melisandre's shadow thingy, which is why he wanted Davos to take her into the caves so the monster would kill Renly. If so, then Stannis is one bad dude to have his brother killed like that.

Seriously, how did Brienne see that the shadow thing looked like Stannis? Speaking of which, Renly's death somehow confused me. I think the way it was done left me wondering how come Brienne just gasped in horror and let Renly be killed.

I still don't get Brienne's devotion towards Renly. I hope they explain that sometime soon.

Good to see they brought up the three-eyed crow again. Still wondering what that's all about.

So how exactly did Jaqen go from being a Lannister prisoner to a Lannister guard?

I heard Tyrion and Bronn talking about Joffrey's nameday gift.

Interesting that Dany commented on how the last time she got a dress as a gift she was sold off to Khal Drogo, and now Xaro gives her a dress and asks her to marry him.

I didn't think Xaro would be quite so scheming.

So what exactly is Littlefinger planning to do next?

That dragon looked pretty swell!

Did I just see the first ever Game of Thrones episode without nudity or a sex scene? Haha it's a miracle!

Holy crap, it totally is!

Edited by TyrionLannister, Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:31 PM.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Well, Renly's off the board. Shit just got real!

Gendry is dreamy.

I'm already tired of Theon and the Greyjoys.

Jon finally gets his chance to go and kill stuff.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

When I saw Gendry all shirtless and sweaty I left out an involuntary whimper. So, so yummy.

AthenaLeStrange

AthenaLeStrange

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

A man is so sexy! A man has my attention. A man needs to tell me how he dyed his hair!

Normal!Gendry is hot, Shirtless!Gendry is smoking.

So the guy that looks like Voldemort is all about magic and has a residence in the House of the UNDYING? I guess all he needed was to switch franchises and regrow his nose!

Arya does need to ask A Man to kill someone higher up like illinidiva said!

ceelovejay

ceelovejay

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I know I'm missing things. I will now spend the next several hours obsessively refreshing this page to see reactions.

Ha! I thought I was the only one! Lol

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Good episode although I wasn't keen on some of the changes from the book. I also think the limited amount of time spent on each storyline isn't helping.

Loved the Arya/Tywin scene. That is going to be a fascinating dynamic.

I liked Bran's scene a lot too. Hey, Rickon! You're still alive! Welcome back to the show! ;)

Liked Stannis/Davos and liked Cat/Brienne even more.

More Bronn is always a good thing. And Dolorus Edd. "We get to live another day. Hoo-rah!" Nice introducion to Qhorin Halfhand as well.

Pyat Pree was real freaky looking. I love the look of Qarth.

terradale

terradale

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

The hour goes by way too fast.

Loved the little dragon. Couldn't help noticing the 'family' resemblance with Daenerys. Great casting.

Edited by terradale, Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:28 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

I didn't think Xaro would be quite so scheming.

No scheming, he was pretty straight up about what he wanted.

dizzyd

dizzyd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

What an unceremonius way for Renly to die, no one to even mourn him properly. Loras was right, he would have been a good king. Sweet of Cat to keep Brienne, she's the epitome of loyalty. Dany does clean up nice, but that whole thing with realizing Jorah is in love with her was quite awkward. I feel like her rejection will cause him to turn against her. Lord Voldemort was creepy. I am still quite concerned about Arya's well-being under Tywin's eye. As someone who hasn't read the books, does the title refer to what they think killed the Tickler? I was bored by things beyond the Wall. Bran is pretty impressive as Lord of Winterfell for someone his age. However, his dreams don't bode well for Winterfell, I'm guessing the sea is a reference to the Greyjoys.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Loved the little dragon. Couldn't help noticing the 'family' resemblance with Daenerys. Great casting.

I must have missed something... what resemblance/casting?

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Worst. Episode. Ever.

(LOL).

Loved Arya's staredown with Tywin, but also the look she had at the end when she realized that Jaqen wasn't full of crap.

Bronn & Tyrion are the most shippable couple on the show.

I need a baby dragon for when I can't pay the electric bill.

So how exactly did Jaqen go from being a Lannister prisoner to a Lannister guard?

Jaqen was never a prisoner; he escaped from the cage and wasn't rounded up by Amory Lorch's men. It appears he stripped the armor off one of the fallen soldiers from that battle or otherwise infiltrated his way into the Lannister ranks -- perhaps specifically to repay his "debt" to Arya? He seemed very serious about that.

ReflexOne

ReflexOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Ha! Yes. Gendry shirtless.

"And that's when I fell over, your honor."

It's getting easier and easier to see Arya developing a crush on Gendry.

Or should I say the crush is probably developing beyond crushy-stage?

Although A Man might have something to say about that.....

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Another answer to the "what is power?" question. (LF says knowledge, Cersei says power, Varys says it's a trick, and apparently the fire is power.)

Kind of weird to see no topless women, only a topless guy. Did they figure out girls watch this show too?

I continue to love all the Stark kids. You could see in Maise's face when she said, "Anyone can be killed" she was thinking "I might kill you" but also "Like my dad." Bran is so astute. Luwin didn't have to jump in at all during the audience. And poor Rickon. He didn't even have to say anything, he was just "RICKON SMASH."

I wish Cat would stop saying how she needs to go home to Winterfell. We get it, show. But I did like Cat and Brienne together. I want them to have awesome friend adventures.

I was kind of bored by Dany's storyline (except for tiny draaagons!) and Jon's (except for Sam popping up and being cute).

Dinklage's face when Bronn tells Tyrion that the monkey demon is him was killing me. Tyrion can't get the people to like or trust him (except you know, viewers).