23-19: "A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again" 2012.04.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

22 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

From SNPP:

"The Simpsons are going to..." wherever it is that "the ultimate cruise" is headed, and Bart wants to really make it "ultimate" by finding a way to make it nonstop.

According to trailers I saw, looks like OFF is finally going to Antartica.

ETA: Really liked that opening montage. Loved Homer eating Bart's food and Otto sitting next to Bart on the bus.

Loved Homer's "Magazine Hater" magazine.

Liked how the family ended up with a kick-ass cabin on their kick-ass cruise, but you know what? Kick-ass isn't very funny. The writers probably haven't had a crummy cruise in about a decade. The ship falling into disarray 12 days after Bart convinced everyone to stay on the ship was more like it. Of course Bart would never realize the implications of a cruise ship staying longer than intended while everyone thought they were the last people on Earth.

And then the family was exiled to Antarctica and they were rescued by, oh, let's say Moe. Yeah, I had a feeling the show wasn't going to solve the plot within two minutes, it just cut to Future!Bart enjoying some good memories.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:31 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

Anybody know what that song was in the opening montage?

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

It really made me laugh that Treat Williams didn't recognize his own movie.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

I'm suprised that 1) Treat Williams is a real person and 2) Played himself, and that character.

orangeslice

orangeslice

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

It really made me laugh that Treat Williams didn't recognize his own movie.

This made me laugh too, I'm going to guess that he panicked worse than anybody about the "virus" not realizing he was the one delivering the message.

I loved the opening montage

I loved that the cruise intially turned out to be the best vacation for the family, until it dissolved into disaster

Bart and Nelson will be in each others lives until the bitter end, HA, HA

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Okay, Bart seems to think his life is boring. So he has no memory of like the 500 insane adventures his family has had?

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

Bart most likely realized that he's been going through the motions for years and realized that he needed some actual excitement.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

Okay, Bart seems to think his life is boring. So he has no memory of like the 500 insane adventures his family has had?

What have you done for me this week showrunners?

Props for the David Foster Wallace reference.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

I liked the first half of the show, but didn't care for the show going off the rails at the end. Treat Williams was funny, and some of the post-virus cruise chaos was pointedly enjoyable, but I was too distracted by plot holes. No cell phones or other ships in the area or wifi? And them just chilling in Antarctica with penguins without catching hypothermia before they were rescued by, let's say Moe.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:43 AM

I think they eventually just went to the research station they found the sign for. (Though I love the in-thread callbacks to that episode. Anyone remember its title?)

I don't know. I didn't really buy that Bart extended the cruise for the family. I really do think it was for himself that he did it. I don't know why, but I do. I never saw any indication that he was happy for the rest of the family.

On a side note, it's rare that Homer carries Maggie instead of Marge, but I liked seeing that one moment near the end when Homer was doing just that so Marge could throw the big snowball at Bart.

General Guy

General Guy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:37 AM

Finally The Simpsons have been on every continent.

I really liked seeing how the cruise ship fell apart as the days passed. There were a lot of good jokes there, my favorite being the cult the lifeguard started.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

ETA: Really liked that opening montage. Loved Homer eating Bart's food and Otto sitting next to Bart on the bus.

I was so confused watching that. Was there no regular opening credits segment? My recording started at what I think was the beginning of that montage, and I couldn't believe the show started so early that I missed the entire opening credits. Sometimes I miss the start, but it's always recording by the couch gag.

Steve Coogan! Another of my favorites join the Simpsons' guest cast.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

No cell phones or other ships in the area or wifi?

To the extent the ship had some kind of satellite internet link that would allow for on-board wifi to make any difference, I'd just assume it was knocked out when Bart destroyed the communications panel. And you don't have to get very far out to sea before you lose cell signals -- if you're ever on a cruise that's not within sight of land and you do have a cell signal, that's because the ship is providing a satellite linkup.

The best thing about the lifeguard cult was that they all had zinc oxide on their noses.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

One of my favorite lines from the episode: "There is no Mrs. Steak! Who can stay married to a man like that!" Incredibly silly, but I laughed really hard.

Is it just me or has this season (which I think might be the strongest in years) done more emotional heavy lifting than in previous years? Not that each episode is sappy, but more like they've given the show some of its heart back.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:11 PM.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

The best thing about the lifeguard cult was that they all had zinc oxide on their noses.

Hee! I noticed that too and actually lol'd.

I'll be adding Moe eating Bart's baby teeth to my most macabre/creepy Simpsons moments (my list includes Homer's eyes fuzzing over after his laser eye surgery and Homer making out with himself), shudder.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

One of my favorite lines from the episode: "There is no Mrs. Steak! Who can stay married to a man like that!" Incredibly silly, but I laughed really hard.

Aw, man, Mr. Steak! I was a member of the Mr. Steak Birthday Club when I was a kid, which meant I got a free steak on my birthday. And a toy -- I had an awesome kaleidoscope that I got there for years.

If we wanted to fuel crazy internet speculation, we could argue that Homer going to Mr. Steak reveals the location of Springfield, since there is apparently only one Mr. Steak left in the U.S., in St. Charles, Missouri.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Anybody know what that song was in the opening montage?

Answering my own question, it was "Boy From School" by Hot Chip.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

I didn't even know Mr. Steak was a real place.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

I didn't even know Mr. Steak was a real place.

Never underestimate The Simpsons and its ability to work in the obscure reference.

I kind of liked, "Ocean Sex Rules! Go to hell regular land sex!" Heh.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

There were a lot of double take moments in this ep (and a lot of PVR Freeze Frames) but one of hte ones that caught my eye, was the gender-reversal Homer and Marge were doing before Bart's virus scare; with Homer in the wig and coconut bikini, and Marge dressed as a sailor.

Bart's Fun list had a lot of good items on it too. (Including Train as a Sith from a Sith Lord)

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

I finally caught up on this episode and thought it was enjoyable. I liked that the virus movie that Bart used the clip from, The Pandora Strain, was a reference to both The Andromeda Strain and Pandora's Clock, a TV movie about a passenger plain that might have a deadly contagious virus on it.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

I finally caught this episode. It was okay, but at the end, I was left wondering how the Simpsons got back to Springfield from Antarctica.

On a side note, it's rare that Homer carries Maggie instead of Marge, but I liked seeing that one moment near the end when Homer was doing just that so Marge could throw the big snowball at Bart

I loved that moment! It's rare we ever get to see a Marge that isn't a complete nag or ninny these days.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

I finally caught this episode. It was okay, but at the end, I was left wondering how the Simpsons got back to Springfield from Antarctica.

I thought there was a sign that they were headed towards some outpost. And I know I've complained about Lisa a lot lately, but I found it interesting that Bart's scheme led to fun for the whole family (complete with the picture montage at the end) while Lisa's plans generally only involve her happiness or edification of her self-righteousness.