1-20: "The Stranger" 2012.04.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

318 replies to this topic

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

The recap is up. I hope you enjoy it.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Heh, that recap finally made me see what my 7th grade Language Arts teacher was getting at when she claimed I needed to summarize less and respond more to what I actually read/saw in my response journals. Maybe that's why you found it a bit flat. But there were some bright moments shining through the mood...

Overall I also didn't find the Pinocchio and Gepetto scenes all that rewatchable but I absolutely adore that Emma and August in the woods scene. Watching her terror that this could be true and then running as far away from it as she can because she cannot stand for it to be true. I still am missing what was supposed to be SO convincing myself. A couple mentally unstable people manage to tell the same story that her kid is telling everyone ALL OVER TOWN is shockingly not convincing? So easy to just think that oh look, only crazy people latch onto a 10 year old's story about fairy tale characters as the truth. Plus I try not to take advice from people who hold me hostage at gunpoint or think that their legs are special in some way they won't explain after lying to me for all the time that I've known them but I'm funny that way. Still, this is basically the problem of the audience being ahead of the character and probably cannot be sustained into a 2nd season. So I'm kinda figuring it's just about over anyway , perhaps that's why I'm not frustrated.

But hey onto those bright and shining moments where the Cindy we know and love peeked out.

Emma only indulges this conversation for a minute or so and then tells Henry he's going to be late for school. She is ready to be a mom!

Yep, she can't wait to drop the kid off to Grandma.

Are there no other woodworkers in your whole world, Blue?

You'd wonder that if she could just find someone to wish upon a star that the enchanted tree was a wardrobe if she could have transformed it herself. Or can't enchanted objects be transformed by enchanted beings? But hey, Pin was made from basically the same type of tree and she could transform him. Plot holes, plot holes, must focus on the pretty forest.

Regina lets her eyes water for maximum effect, but come on Mayor. Crying is David's superpower.

Haha. So true. His pretty, pretty, blue-eyed superpower. But rats I was hoping you would have come up with what David must've done for the hour he was at Regina's house waiting for her to cook lasagna. A play by play of him reading comic books and playing with toys in Henry's room, watching some TV, taking a nap.

When he tries to climb back in the tree, magic knocks him unconscious, so unlike us, he doesn't have to suffer through a flashback of the last scene between him and Geppetto, you know -- the one we just saw a few minutes ago.

Complete with extra special glowy filter that usually is more apt for commercials about Philly Cream Cheese on clouds rather than dire warnings about how you will turn to wood if you don't become a 7-year-old single father and protector and informer!

Emma agrees he's sick -- a sick crazy lying liar who lies.

See back to that, so was she supposed to think, "The liar must be telling me the truth! That's the only thing that makes sense!" ?

Still, this is the sheriff. I think she'd be smarter--

Oh tell us another one, Cindy. Emma has done a few smart things in her days in Storybrooke, I don't think a one of them has had a single thing to do with being Sheriff. Personally I'd throw that badge away. Emma was a way more intelligent character prior to becoming a sheriff and her last bright spot was again when she threw sheriffing out the window and focused on her friend.

Thanks much for the recap.

Edited by Aliasscape, May 4, 2012 @ 8:58 PM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Great recap of the great recap. heh. ;D

The lasagna bugs me. It takes me about 3 hours to make lasagna (from scratch).. and a huge mess in the kitchen. As you've said.. even if it were already made, an hour in the oven. Now.. spaghetti would have been a bit more believable.

I keep telling myself.. this is fantasy.. it's supposed to be fun.. a break from reality.. we already have to deal with believable every day..

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

The lasagna bugs me. It takes me about 3 hours to make lasagna (from scratch).. and a huge mess in the kitchen.

But to be fair, if Regina had frozen lasanga and pretended it was from scratch, would David really notice the difference? He still thinks she's nice. I know he's been in scenes where Regina is being a bitch to Emma.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

If Regina were just a busy, working single Mom, it would stand to reason that she makes lasagna, casseroles, etc. on the weekends, puts them in the freezer, and then transfers them into the fridge to thaw the morning she's going to serve the dish. It's true that she says that she's making lasana rather than re-heating lasagna, but that she could get it ready pretty quickly does not require magic.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

I LOVED this episode. It was really about parental love, Geppetto's for Pinocchio and Emma's for Henry.

I barely remember the basics of the Pinocchio story, but if I recall, Gepetto had longed for a son for a very long time. As such, I could completely understand how he couldn't bare to lose him even though it meant that Snow would have to raise Emma without her husband or, as it turned out, Emma would have to go it alone. It may be harsh, but most parents can only see as to what's good for their own child so yes, they make decisions sometimes that do not obey the "the good of the many outweights the good of the one" precept that Spock lives by. Yes, his comment to Jiminy was not very nice and, in fact, was very cutting, but he still loves that little cricket very much. We often say things to our loved ones that we don't mean and that we regret later. I don't think that Gepetto has lived 70 plus years resenting Jiminy, but in that moment, when all he could think about was his son, he wasn't going to listen to anyone. I'm sure he felt bad for that comment later.

I've liked August from the beginning, but I admit that I adore him now. He's so vulnerable; I was near tears when he collapsed in the woods. He has to forgive his 7 year old self for leaving adorable Emma - he was just 7. As Marco said, he's doing his best to fix it and that's important. I loved that last scene between them.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

I have to wonder why Gepetto built a child and just sort of waited for his goodness to inspire the blue fairy or something instead of taking in a child who already existed and was starving on the streets. It seems kind of selfish on the part of everyone involved, actually.

stecciem

stecciem

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Perhaps -similar to our world- a single man is not allowed to adopt.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:07 AM

I hadn't thought about how long it takes to make lasagne. Does it matter? It seems like just part of Regina's ploy to turn charming James. If for some reason it needed to be instant lasagne, well, maybe it was Magic brand lasagne.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

It took me a while to watch the episode due to various scheduling problems...but having seen it I wish I'd put it off even longer. I loved Bra'tek. I HATE Gepetto. Before this, I found him a bit unlikable. His alleged BFFness with Archie never felt true to me and he's struck me as kind of cold and blank. But this episode made me really hate him. The slapdown of Jiminy was way out of proportion and, a many have noted, way too late in the relationship. But even more than that, the constant "my-a boy-a" was driving me crazy. Seriously, it was beginning to make me pine, as it were, for something I'd never thought I'd miss--"WAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLTTTT!!!!"--while simultaneously making me cringe at the "thatsa spicy meataballa" accent.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

Finally got the chance to catch up on this thread and instead of quoting a frillion posts, I'll say WORD to everyone who loved it, and to everyone who is getting curiouser and curiouser about the Boob Fairy, and to everyone who sympathises somewhat with Geppetto.

As a card carrying, flag waving member of Team Augnocchio, I was glad to see posts from people who'd thought they'd HATE the idea, who actually turned out to not hate it so much.

Just one post I'm gonna quote from waaaaayyyyy back in the thread...

The scene at the end with Marco and August was sweet, almost made up for the fact that Gepetto sent his 7 year old son to a foreign world to take care of a newborn all by himself. No resentment, there August?

Go back to the scene at the cabin in "The Return" and watch August's face while Mr Gold is saying:

I was a coward, and I never should have let you go. I know it's little consolation but I just want you to know that ever since you left, ever since you crossed the barriers of time and space, in every waking moment, I've been looking for you. And now that I've finally found you, I know I can't make up for the past, for the lost time. All I can do is to ask you to do what you've always done and that's to be the bigger man, and forgive me. I'm so sorry, son.

August can't look at him because he's about to burst into tears. He totally has unresolved issues from his dad sending him away into our world, and being forced to grow up alone. And if he was imagining that Mr Gold was Geppetto saying that stuff, then the bit about him being the bigger man was just twisting the knife of the guilt he was already feeling for not having kept his promise to look after Emma. If you can re-watch that scene without having your heart wrenched, you kinda have no heart.

ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

The slapdown of Jiminy was way out of proportion and, a many have noted, way too late in the relationship.

Jiminy was telling him to abandon his child. No amount of verbal "slapdown" would have been out of proportion, and I wouldn't have judged Gepetto if it had been physical. (Personally I would have stepped on the annoying little bug on the spot) People with children don't usually respond kindly, calmly and rationally to anyone suggesting they just let their child die, so a loss of composure towards the cricket in that moment hardly makes Gepetto despicable. It's not like Gepetto spent 300 years purposely and very deliberately destroying everyone's lives after choosing to abandon his kid, like some people.

Edited by ViciousCircle, May 6, 2012 @ 9:59 AM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

I think the hate for Gepetto is over the top, but different strokes for different folks. I'm not sure why tv characters have to be so much better than real human beings; that comment to Jiminy was completely realistic. Who among us has not made comments to someone we love that we don't mean? I don't think Gepetto has been holding that against his best friend for years, but he was anguished about losing his son and didn't want to hear what Jiminy was saying. I think it's very realistic. I still adore their relationship and I love Archie/Marco, though we've not seen them in ages.

This is what Regina has done and nothing that ever happens to her as punishment can ever make up for it. IMO, it ALL comes down to her and her psychopathic need for revenge against a young girl who didn't mean to hurt her.
Maybe all these characters have abandonment issues, but the one thing they should know is that their parents loved them dearly and did what they thought was best; they tried to make the best out of an awful situation.

Edited by Betsypaige1, May 6, 2012 @ 9:58 AM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Who among us has not made comments to someone we love that we don't mean? I don't think Gepetto has been holding that against his best friend for years, but he was anguished about losing his son and didn't want to hear what Jiminy was saying. I think it's very realistic.

I feel the same way. In fact, the comment was such a non-event to me, regarding the state of their relationship, that the only thing I recall thinking when I heard it was "So Geppetto does know!" Imparting information was the important part to me. Plus it made Jiminy less of a hypocrite than he would have been had he been going on about not lying whilst lying to his best friend for 40 or 50 years.*

I still adore their relationship and I love Archie/Marco, though we've not seen them in ages.

I'm very fond of their relationship, too. Mind you, I'm very fond of Archie in general. I do hope we see more of him. And from the Disney version, I rather like Jiminy's interaction with the Blue Fairy (I love that he thanks her at the end). I really like the Blue Fairy in this version, too, so far. So I'm hoping for some Jiminy/Blue Fairy friendship scenes or just some interaction between Archie and the Mother Superior (and I'd like to state my case here that every character should have names in both worlds so that I don't have to call them by titles/job descriptions).

* We don't actually know how long it took for Jiminy to find Geppetto, so the time frame could have been much shorter.

Edited by Tzigone, May 6, 2012 @ 10:36 AM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

I think what bothers me about Geppetto (and I love Geppetto as a character) isn't that he would do whatever it took to protect 'his boy' is that he did not question or weigh what might happen to a stick-of-wood-turned-into-a-real-boy in a world without magic. If I were Geppetto, I think I would have wondered.. yeah.. this tree will protect him from the curse, but might he end up on the other end as just a stick of wood?

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Perhaps -similar to our world- a single man is not allowed to adopt.

I don't think they had official adoptions back then. He'd just see a child in need of parenting and take them in.

If you can re-watch that scene without having your heart wrenched, you kinda have no heart.

I think that's a little unfair.

Jiminy was telling him to abandon his child. No amount of verbal "slapdown" would have been out of proportion, and I wouldn't have judged Gepetto if it had been physical.

I would have judged a grown-man for attacking a cricket no matter what said cricket said. It's really not a fair contest. And Jiminy was really advocating not lying and blackmailing people into jeopardizing the fate of their entire world. I'm sure that Jiminy would not have had a problem with Gepetto taking his case to Snow and James. And how was he talking about abandonment? Even if Pinocchio did die from the curse it's not actually abandonment.

I'm not sure why tv characters have to be so much better than real human beings; that comment to Jiminy was completely realistic.

I don't believe they have to be. If someone in real life had brought up something from fifty years ago as a low blow in an unrelated argument then I'd think they were just as bad. The difference is that in real life people tend to not befriend people who are sort-of involved with their parents deaths and so these sorts of situations don't come up.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree, Princess Aldrea. I can't judge someone (or a character) based on one comment they make. Gepetto said something harsh, no doubt, but that doesn't change my opinion of him; he's human. My analogy still works because it is an analogy; I never said this exact thing happens in real life. The fact is, people make cutting remarks to loved ones all the time, whether out of anger or frustration or whatever. It doesn't mean they really mean it nor does it mean they don't love the person the comment was directed to. I have no doubt that Gepetto adores Jiminy and Jiminy knows it.

Morning Star, I think our characters are acting purely out of love for their children and aren't necessarily thinking. Gepetto was obviously in an emotional state, so he was in no frame of mind to think everything through logically. We have the advantage here. Emma isn't a kidnapper, but she took Henry because she's not really thinking. Desperation makes people do thinks they might not ordinarily say or do.

I'm very fond of their relationship, too. Mind you, I'm very fond of Archie in general. I do hope we see more of him. And from the Disney version, I rather like Jiminy's interaction with the Blue Fairy (I love that he thanks her at the end). I really like the Blue Fairy in this version, too, so far. So I'm hoping for some Jiminy/Blue Fairy friendship scenes or just some interaction between Archie and the Mother Superior (and I'd like to state my case here that every character should have names in both worlds so that I don't have to call them by titles/job descriptions).

I honestly have very little memory of even the Disney version; I didn't even remember that there was a Blue Fairy, lol. She's ok in this incarnation; I don't have the cynicism most do about her, but then I really don't think that much of her anyway as she's still a relatively minor character.

I love Archie as well and hope he's in it more often. I can't wait to see his reunion with Marco when they remember who they are. One thing the show has done very well, at least for me, is humanize the characters out so well that really, I love them all (exept for Regina, who I love to hate, and Sidney, who's annoying).

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

That was an intense episode.

Emma taking Henry at the end was unexpected but a ballsy twist. Regina really isn't going to like that one bit.

Everything seemed to be going wrong for Regina this week - both Henry and Mary Margaret gave her a piece of their minds and David didn't fall for her charms either.

August's reveal as Pinnochio was brilliant and I did love the flashbacks scenes as well. Felt so sorry for him as a kid, even when he had to leave Emma as a baby too.

Geppeto's actions were believable. I didn't approve of them but I totally got where he was coming from though and that was good.

Overall, a 8/10 this one was.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

I loved this episode as well. However I didn't buy Geppetto's actions. He had no idea what was going to happen to 'his boy' (who was 'magic'd' into being 'a real boy') in a world with no magic as much as what might have happened to him under Regina's curse. In my humble opinion, Geppetto took a big risk, not only with his son, Pinocchio, but with the lives of everyone. I DID however.. feel very sympathetic to his dilemma. Tough spot to be in.