1-20: "The Stranger" 2012.04.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

318 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

August tells Emma how to beat Regina and how she can get custody of Henry, while Regina hatches a plot to seduce David now that Mary Margaret is back at work.

Since we've been having problems with the threads opening on time, I'm not going to lock this. Please do not post until after the episode is over.

Also: Please take discussion of previews and speculation about future episodes to the Speculation Without Spoilers thread. We've been having some problem with that lately. As always, spell out names/places for clarity.

Happyshooter

Happyshooter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

1. David dodged a real bullet there. Being nice to the Queen = really bad things happening to you. Sex with her means a cruel death.

2. So Emma can't see the oddness. That excuses some of her worse plot related offenses--in particular if the sheriff's death looked like some sort of heart attack or asthma attack to her.

3. Other than being horny why would the queen want David? I don't see the end game there--other than ticking off Snow, and Snow is already cut off from him and sad.

7. Can 7 year olds form that level of thought and planning?

Edited by Happyshooter, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:04 PM.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Well, August is Pinocchio and the Blue Fairy lied about the wardrobe protecting only one. Not that I'm surprised in any way. But that August/Marco scene at the end was so sweet and so darn adorable that I think I can accept this August/Pinocchio thing.

Emma, you need to believe, girl! And don't kidnap your son because Regina will surely have your head! But I did like that August/Emma scene. Very emotional and well acted.

Regina, get your paws off of David. In a way, he's your step son in law. It's creepy. Stop it. And good for David for not kissing her, although she didn't deserve that nice rejection. But it's David, so I didn't expect anything less.

You go, Mary Margaret. And you go, Henry. Both pwned Regina in one scene.

Not a bad episode, though. It's good to know that Emma and August can both leave, although did they just take a back road or is it the same road, just seen in the daylight?

And now I'm shipping August/Emma as siblings. I would have loved to see August stay with Emma for all those years and be her foster brother/friend/fairy tale mate. But then we wouldn't have had a loner Emma come with Henry to Storybrooke.

dizzyd

dizzyd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Dammit, that's the 2nd episode in a row that I've cried, Fing loved it! Anyway, it looks like a broken clock has been fixed (pun intended) and the wheels of this story are again turning. Loved all the tiebacks to the pilot. Loved Mary Margaret's forgiveness speech and David not falling for Regina's seduction and I hereby forgive them for all their past wishy-washiness and the Pinnochio story was believable and touching, hope it wasn't a lie.

KateMantle

KateMantle

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

On a random note, Baby Emma is just the most adorable little thing!

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I was afraid August would go completely wooden boy there for a second, but no, he's still alive. Loved the end scene with he and his father.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

The string of awesome episodes continue. The story for Pinocchio made sense...and it all tied in great...

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

I generally have a heart made of steel, but when August's voice cracked on "my father" at the end, my heart broke into a million little pieces.

Geppetto, you should've listened the cricket you desperate old man! Gah. I really want to hate you but facing the potential death of a child must be horrifying.

I hate that August/Pinocchio is literally turning into wood and I confess it's confusing me. Why is the curse only effecting him now that Emma decided to stay? He went through the wardrobe so shouldn't he be immune?

ETA: The eye color of young Pinocchio was so wrong it was distracting. Eion Bailey's eyes are just too blue to pass it off as anything else. Jacob Davies was sweet and I was otherwise okay with his portrayal, but when he opened his eyes on the beach and we moved to a close up of adult Pinocchio looking at his hat... it was just so obvious.

Edited by Gin and Tonic, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:12 PM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

Damn you, show, for making me cry yet again! Seriously, I was already getting teary in the opening scene with Gepetto and Pinocchio on the raft. Good grief, I'm a sucker.

And awesome twist with Emma not seeing August's wooden leg. Didn't see that coming. Now, do you suppose that the wooden leg really is there and it's just that Emma can't see it, or it really is a regular leg and only people who believe there is something to see can see the "magic"? My brain just got twisted around there.

I started to cry again when August joined Marco in his garage. Awww...

Emma? You don't have custody of Henry. Biology will not prevent you from being charged with kidnapping.

Why is David so easily manipulated?

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Also, I know that the ginger Pinocchio does not really look like Eion Bailey, but I love Eion Bailey, so I am going to accept that maybe the kid's hair just got darker. . .and his eyes turned very blue. . .totally going to accept that.

Edited by prodigalchicken, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:12 PM.

InsertWordHere

InsertWordHere

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

This episode hurt my heart. Poor Baby!Emma and Ginger!Pinocchio. I can't even be mad at Geppetto for being selfish, because I think any decent parent would have wanted to do the same thing if they could. So glad David finally made a good decision, but I doubt the Queen is done with him.

I wonder if maybe it isn't Emma that can't see the wooden leg. Maybe August's guilty conscience (his real conscience not Jiminy) is manifesting in that way, but I'm unsure how it would start simultaneously with Emma deciding to stay when he would have no way of knowing her actions. Nice touch that he was on a pleasure island.

Anyone else catch that the Blue Fairy had to rush away to make some preparations with the others (I assume she meant other fairies) before the curse kicked in? I wonder what they did? I think some of those nuns might just have kept their memories.

ETA: If I entered a strange world and looked up to see an Oceanic plane flying over me, I would freak out too. Totally understandable, Pinaugust.

Edited by InsertWordHere, Apr 30, 2012 @ 2:01 AM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

Damn, Gepetto was an ass to Jiminy and to...well, everyone. Dislike.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

I never blamed Emma for her disbelief, frustrating though it is, but this episode makes me 100% okay with it. For her, it's not just about the "everyone is a fairy tale character" thing, which is a scoff-worthy idea by itself; it's the fact that Henry, Jefferson, Graham, and now August, are asking her to take responsibility for the lives of thousands, when Emma has spent her whole life looking out for Number One. She's barely gotten used to counting Henry and Mary Margaret as people she loves and is willing to sacrifice for. But for her to be told that it's her destiny to save everyone friends and strangers alike, would be overwhelming.

Jennifer Morrison sold that scene well, as did Eion Bailey. I loved it.

Geppetto was desperate and clearly blinded by his desperation to save his son, but I still wanted to kick him in the shins.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

Close but no cigar :)

djsunyc
Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:45 PM #38
My theory for Pinocchio is that in exchange for Gipetto building the wood portal, he had his son sent somewhere by the Blue Fairy...

That scene with Augocchio and Emma by the tree might have been the best one of the show to date...

Edited by djsunyc, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:15 PM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I'm sure I'll get over it, but right now I'm not even much interested in the show anymore. It'll pass in a few hours, probably. But I really disliked this episode. I didn't want August to be Pinocchio, but was expecting it. But the problem is I feel lied to, cheated. I can no longer trust that I'm being told the "real" story in the flashbacks, since this essentially rewrites a significant chunk of the pilot (my favorite episode by far).

Also, wasn't Emma supposed to be on the side of a freeway? A local boy to find her?

And why would August have to change the book? If it was magically created (and it seemed to be given it has the wounded Charming putting Emma in the wardrobe) then why would it lack his story?

Still, loved Henry's "good will win" and Mary Margaret's "I forgive, you miserable, unhappy woman with a hole where your heart should be" was fun in way. It's definite rehash of her letter and everyone's warning about the curse, but it's sort of indicative of Mary Margaret becoming more Snow-y and it's probably nice for people who didn't tune in that early.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I was a little upset with Gepetto's actions because Emma had to go and grow up without her mother. She probably could have saved everyone by now but I do understand why he'd be desperate to save Pinocchio.

Also, wasn't Emma supposed to be on the side of a freeway? A local boy to find her?

August said he lied about where he found her.

Edited by Snapple12, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:20 PM.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

And why would August have to change the book? If it was magically created (and it seemed to be given it has the wounded Charming putting Emma in the wardrobe) then why would it lack his story?

If the book chronicles the stories of all of Storybrooke's notable residents, then Pinocchio wouldn't have been included because he was never part of the curse. And if he isn't there, then there's no reason for the book to include his story as part of Geppeto's either.

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

I can't even be mad at Geppetto for being selfish, because I think any decent parent would have wanted to do the same thing if they could.

I would be more mad at him if the Blue Fairy could've assured him that Pinocchio would be fine once the curse was broken, but she couldn't. The others were faced with losing their happy endings, but she was asking Geppetto to save others while his son might die. Doesn't mean his actions were laudable, but I understood them.

it's the fact that Henry, Jefferson, Graham, and now August, are asking her to take responsibility for the lives of thousands, when Emma has spent her whole life looking out for Number One.

Yup. And I think August is acutely aware of how difficult that is, as he couldn't even take responsibility for her. Not that I'm coming down too harshly on him. He was a kid.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

I can no longer trust that I'm being told the "real" story in the flashbacks, since this essentially rewrites a significant chunk of the pilot (my favorite episode by far).

But it didn't rewrite anything. We learned that the Blue Fairy was lying when she said the tree could only save one because she and Gepetto made a secret deal beforehand.

That's what the newspaper story said. August himself pointed out to Emma that she believes that because that's what was written in the story, but he's telling her that that's not quite how it really happened.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

I was a little upset with Gepetto's actions because Emma had to go and grow up without her mother. She probably could have saved everyone by now but I do understand why he'd be desperate to save Pinocchio.

Not only that but Pinocchio had to grow up without a father and alone in a new world at seven years old. I mean, it was either that or risk being turned back into a puppet but it still really sucks. Geppetto, though did it to save his son, didn't think all of this through. I don't hate him; I'm just a little disappointed.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

I wanted to add that dark-haired, blue-eyed August still does not look like red-haired, brown-eyed Pinocchio - did we get an explanation for that?

But it didn't rewrite anything. We learned that the Blue Fairy was lying when she said the tree could only save one because she and Gepetto made a secret deal beforehand.

I know it didn't technically rewrite any scenes - but it changed the story. I feel cheated. I was told a story and then later they went back and said "oh, but 20% of this is really something else entirely". I read comic books, I should be used to ret-cons. But this definitely feels like a retcon, no matter when it was planned.

And why didn't the article say "two kids found" (or some such) since Pinnochio is a mystery, too?

Edited by Tzigone, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:29 PM.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

I think this was one of my favorite episodes so far. Mary Margaret confronting Regina was made of win, and Henry's little blow up at Regina was priceless.

I wasn't too keen on August being Pinocchio when I first heard that theory, but after seeing the episode, I really like where this is going. I thought his story to Emma was very convincing, and I was sure she was eventually going to start believing him, but alas! Great scene between August and Marco near the end also, very heart wrenching. I hope Emma starts to believe soon and that August doesn't die. Uncanny that Gold suddenly knows August is Pinocchio when just last week, he had no idea who he was when he figured out that he wasn't Bae.

The only thing about this episode that totally irked me was Emma's plan to take off with Henry. Whether or not she is his biological mother, she isn't his legal mother, and she is kidnapping. She is treading thin ice with this maneuver, and I can't see how this will end well for her.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

It was really interesting to see Jakob Davies hair change from red to brown in the foster home. I think they did that to try to give explanation to August and Pinocchio's sudden change in physical appearence. Nice attempt, but they still don't look alike.

But seriously Emma? Why did you just take your son out of Storybrooke?

jbserver

jbserver

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

Was it ever explained why August is turning back into a puppet? Is it just because he was selfish in abandoning Emma/lying through his teeth when he first showed up in Storybrooke or is it just the curse?

Glad to know David hasn't completely lost his mind, although the same can't be said for Emma. Kidnapping Henry, really?

The scene at the end with Marco and August was sweet, almost made up for the fact that Gepetto sent his 7 year old son to a foreign world to take care of a newborn all by himself. No resentment, there August?

Still, good episode.

Corydora

Corydora

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

:ETA: The eye color of young Pinocchio was so wrong it was distracting. Eion Bailey's eyes are just too blue to pass it off as anything else. Jacob Davies was sweet and I was otherwise okay with his portrayal, but when he opened his eyes on the beach and we moved to a close up of adult Pinocchio looking at his hat... it was just so obvious.

Oh I am sure they will make up some lie or misdirection or oh we didn't mean it that way to cover their arses. I can't watch a show when I can't trust the writers to stick to the truths they establish. Surprises, clues uncovered, and such are okay with me, but bringing in an evil twin at the last minute or saying the whole season was only a dream is not fun for me. (as in other shows; I'm not talking about OUAT) I fear that is what this show will become and I don't think I can enjoy it anymore.

Edited by Corydora, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:38 PM.

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

I am really having a hard time staying interested in the show and I think it is because I don't like Emma at all. Loved Baby!Emma though! When you are only paying attention because you keep wondering if that is the same ginger kid from American Horror Story, something is wrong. I guess mainly because nothing is really happening (she still doesn't believe) and kidnapping Henry was so incredibly stupid. If we had really see Regina be awful to him, that would be one thing, but his venom towards her is so hard to understand when she is just there delivering his lunch because he forgot it. She isn't even forcing him to switch classrooms; he is given the choice to refuse. Then his great happiness at Emma's offer for him to join her just makes me feel sorry for Regina when her true love story didn't move me at all. Especially When the foster home that August was at was pretty terrible. It isn't that Regina is wealthy and that makes her better, but she does seem to try with Henry (lax parenting aside) and he only comes at her while idolizing Emma.

I do still love Gold and was thrilled he figured out who August was. I seriously am only watching because I want to see him reunited with Bae. They have ruined Snow and James for me (rolling my eyes during her speech to Regina) and not fan of Emma/Henry. Thank goodness they hired "good" villians that make the show for me.

Edited by jennifda, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:41 PM.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

I wanted to add that dark-haired, blue-eyed August still does not look like red-haired, brown-eyed Pinocchio - did we get an explanation for that?

The casting director used up their perfection quota when she picked Bailee Madison for lil' Snow White.

ncanny that Gold suddenly knows August is Pinocchio when just last week, he had no idea who he was when he figured out that he wasn't Bae.

Process of elimination. If Gold assumed that everything about August's story was true except for him being Bae, then it wouldn't have taken Gold long to figure out which of the Enchanted Land residents would fit August's story yet wasn't accounted for in Storybrooke.

The only thing about this episode that totally irked me was Emma's plan to take off with Henry. Whether or not she is his biological mother, she isn't his legal mother, and she is kidnapping. She is treading thin ice with this maneuver, and I can't see how this will end well for her.

I doubt it will. But she's desperate, and desperation driving people to poor decisions is a theme of the show. What'll be interesting is the fallout for her, if there is any at all.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

The little boy who played Pinocchio is freakin' adorable and his making faces at Baby Emma had me giggling from the cute.

I enjoy Regina a whole hell of a lot, don't get me wrong, but good freaking gravy, did I love watching her get owned twice in the span of about five minutes. David needed to be meaner to her and I would have been thrilled to pieces, but I suppose that's not David.

The scene in the woods between August and Emma was intense. Loved it!

Emma, Emma, Emma. You can't just take off with Henry. Like, seriously.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

I almost forgot, in the middle of all this wacky August/Pinocchio stuff, the one thing that actually made me gasp out loud was the revelation that Gepetto knows what Jiminy did to his parents. I mean, I actually jumped a little; totally caught me off guard.

pepsiluvr72

pepsiluvr72

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

You go, Mary Margaret. And you go, Henry. Both pwned Regina in one scene.

I could not agree more with this.

I really enjoyed the episode overall but the last two minutes really bugged me.
Once again Emma's hate for Regina made her do something really stupid that will land her deep trouble with Regina

Go David for not kissing Regina

I felt really bad for Geppetto so I really liked the August/Marco scene