20-10: "I Need Hair to Be Pretty (Cochin, India)" 2012.04.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

221 replies to this topic

miz liz

miz liz

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Art and JJ cannot get off my TV fast enough. And frankly, I feel sorry for the people they are given the authority to arrest. While I totally get the necessity of border patrol, I feel like they like their job a little too much, and don't have any sense of appreciation for why people try to come across the border. Even the race has not expanded their horizons to make them "get it" .

I've had the same thought. Even though I am 100% against illegals sneaking across the border, I almost feel bad for the ones who come up against the Loathsome Twosome. They seem like bullies on and off the job.

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

I recall that immediately, Nicole claimed that they couldn't do the FF, because Brandon needed his hair. She said it was the most distinctive thing about him and what made him stand out. She never said that she didn't want to do it, although I think that was obvious. She used him as the excuse for why they couldn't do it.

Ah, maybe that's why I remembered it as him being more reluctant. Still a valid excuse for both. I wonder if there were three fast forwards this time because they figured it was a long shot that anyone would do this one.

I'm in the "impressed" camp on the topic of Dave leveraging 20 rupees into $20,000. Maybe they would have won the footrace anyway, but it was a relatively cheap way of ensuring the victory.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

But why would one want more screen time? That doesn't help win the race.

Today's Reality TV savvy fans don't necessarily go on a show like this to win the grand prize (although that's obviously a bonus), but to become notorious or infamous. That way they get a lot of press, they get invited on a bunch of other reality shows and get invited back again and again because they are so "memorable" and make "such good TV." See: Russell Hantz, or just about anyone who goes on Survivor these days.

I don't know if Vanessa is necessarily that savvy, but I did suggest several weeks ago this whole "feud" with Team Green might very well have been something they concocted with Rachel and Brendon in order to secure as much screen time as possible. Rachel's no stranger to reality TV herself. There was a clip of Rachel and Vanessa talking back during the Roadblock where they had to be submerged under water in the helicopter chassis, when Rachel was watching Brendon and Vanessa was waiting her turn, and they were perfectly normal with each other. I remember thinking "Aha! They don't know the cameras are on them - the whole thing is an act."

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

I may not be remembering this correctly, but I thought there was some discussion several seasons back that the average Race has far more Fast Forwards available than we're aware of, and we only see them when they actually impact the game.

I could be making this up in my head.

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

• Interests:Girls, model aeroplanes, sharp things, one particular dog...

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Phil has some culpability for dragging the show down with drama, just like the teams do.

Don't forget, Phil is doing a job and may have a boss or bosses to answer to. I understand he is a significant player, and will therefore have a lot of input into what happens, but if TPTB tell him to try and bring on the drama, I guess he won't have a lot of choice but to do exactly that.

So whereas Phil may misguidedly think that more Survivoresque behaviour will improve the show, he could just as easily think the opposite, but have no option because his opinion has been overruled or out-voted.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

I have a hard time believing that the fate of Phil's employment, after all these years, hangs on whether or not he stirs up drama between teams. I'm a lot more likely to believe he doesn't mind that much; but even if he's just doing his job as dictated by TPTB, that was never my point. My thing is that teams are weighed and measured by their behavior on the show, so I see no reason why Phil wouldn't be.

After all, if teams themselves are encouraged by TPTB to bring the drama, hell for all we know it's part of their contract...then I would imagine they're no more responsible than Phil is. As far as I know, neither the teams or Phil are coerced into being on the show.

Ultimately, I don't think Phil is above the drama when I've witnessed on national TV that he incites it at times. That said, I'm no more interested in tarring and feathering him for it than Art and JJ or Vanessa or whomever. I just don't believe he's exempt from critcism for engaging in similar behavior.

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

• Interests:Girls, model aeroplanes, sharp things, one particular dog...

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

All I was trying to say is that Phil isn't in sole command of the show. There will be others on the production team with an equally loud voice, and maybe even people in the higher echelons of CBS making 'suggestions'. Whether Phil is strongly in favour or strongly opposed, we don't know. All we can surmise is that it was a group decision, and Phil is complying with the consensus.

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

ribboninthesky1, I agree with your whole post. If we hold the Racers accountable for their behavior, we must also do the same for Phil. After 20 seasons and 8 Emmys, I seriously doubt that he doesn't have a voice in how he is portrayed and what he says on the show. Yes, he has bosses both at Bruckheimer TV and at CBS, but he's not your average underling who has to kowtow to The Man, lest he feel his job is in danger.

Edited by pez10s, May 3, 2012 @ 11:23 AM.

Sooeygun

Sooeygun

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

When Dave offered a bribe to the ferry operator, at first I didn't like it, but not because of the other Racers. I was more worried about the locals that might be depending on the ferry. But then I remembered they were in India. From the experiences of a friend that has traveled there extensively, schedules and times tend to be more fluid than in North America. So I'm okay with it.

Edited by Sooeygun, May 3, 2012 @ 3:20 PM.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

All we can surmise is that it was a group decision, and Phil is complying with the consensus.

No, that is not all we can surmise. It's just as likely that it was not was not a group decision, and Phil acted of his own volition.

splitenz

splitenz

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

After originally posting that I had mixed feelings about Dave bribing the ferry boat operators, all of your arguments to the favor of, with great reasoning, has convinced me that it was smart strategy and good game play. Thanks!

mwolf

mwolf

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

No, that is not all we can surmise. It's just as likely that it was not was not a group decision, and Phil acted of his own volition.

I posted the link in the media thread, but Phil tells TV Guide in a new interview that he saw that something was bothering Vanessa, so he encouraged (his word) her to vent because part of his job is to be a facilitator at the Mat.

He also talks a lot about the final four's terrible behavior and the finale twist, of course.