13-18: 2012.05.01

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

138 replies to this topic

divingin

divingin

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

So Buddy was bought off with a van? Wow! If I was his wife I'd been even more pissed, finacially strapped but not willing to put in the effort to try and win the money yourself.

To Jeremy is going to buy Buddy a van, too? After taxes, Buddy's van, and giving Conda her share, does Jeremy realize he won't have anything left for himself?

Also from the article: Jeremy wants to "pay it forward" and help obese young adults because he realizes that he needs public accountability to keep the weight off; he fears weight regain. He's correct in that the external motivation from being in the public eye is what allows the former contestants to keep weight off in the long term. However, what Jeremy fails to realize is that given his behavior on the show and the controversy of this season, no one - not The Biggest Loser brand, nor any sponsors - is going to want to touch him. He has no fans, he's not popular, and no one identifies with him. Jeremy isn't going to be blogging for magazines about his marathon training and making appearances at fitness festivals like Season 11's Olivia. He wasn't conscious of how important it was that he come across as humble and likeable to viewers the way the purple sisters were. Even at his win Tuesday night, he was incredibly cocky - I don't remember a winner ever acting as entitled and rude. Successful winners like Season 5 Ali know that the continued media appearances after the show not only prevent weight regain, but also continue to keep the money rolling in, but Jeremy is going to miss out on all of that and he doesn't even realize it. After this initial media blitz, the spotlight is going to move away in a nanosecond, leaving Jeremy with damaged metabolism (from the rapid weight loss), a damaged reputation, and no money. It's going to take a miracle for him to not rapidly regain the weight. He's acting so immaturely and has already admitted to partying after his win (so much so that he's hoarse) and he's planning on "getting back to" the gym and his strict eating plan. He's no Season 7 Helen, who got up early the morning after the finale to go running.

In the article, Jeremy claimed that he was nervous about Kim but claimed that "There was no way she could have possibly been outworking me" - really, Jeremy? So you beat Kim because you worked harder than she did, huh? It didn't have anything to do with Kim being ALL muscle and didn't have any fat to lose to beat you percentage-wise? It didn't have anything to do with the fact that she started off lighter and without as much fat, and she would have had to lose muscle and dehydrate herself to beat you? Nope? It's that she didn't outwork you? Screw you. And nice going with that lack of humility that's not going to endear you to any viewers at all. When the media attention from your win has died down and you wonder where everyone went and why you don't have any endorsement deals or any other opportunities, I hope you realize that you sealed your own fate by being an asshole and you are in no way a victim. And as the weight starts piling back on, remember that your focus was not on getting healthier, and you achieved what you wanted in ending up as a huge untoned blob of dehydrated fat and skin with a temporarily great number on the scale.

Edited by divingin, May 3, 2012 @ 8:46 PM.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:20 AM

Jeremy's interview is up.

Jeremy wants to pay it forward

And I hope they'll give it right back.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

The only redeeming thing I can find about Jeremy winning is imagining him trying to pick up one of the women that he believes are all over him.

Jeremy: Hey Babe, I'm the winner from the Biggest Loser, can I buy you a drink?

Repulsed Girl: Oh, you're going to be on the Biggest Loser? Good luck, I hope you can lose some weight.

Chism seemed to think he had a real shot at winning the at home prize, he's freaking delusional. He seemed shocked that Emily beat him. Emily, on the other hand, seemed to realize that Mike had smoked her.

If I were in charge, I would first sue Buddy and Mark to recover the costs of having them on the show. They were given free room and board, free fitness training, etc. To leave the show in a snit the way they did deserves that they give back what they received, at least in a monetary sense.

They've said (repeatedly) that contestants are free to walk away if they want to - they said that in past seasons. So Buddy and Mark leaving wasn't a breach of contract. And I'm glad they left in a self-righteous huff, making themselves look even worse than they did while they were on the show.

SineNomine

SineNomine

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

This season has been so bad that it was inevitable that this would be the worst finale evah. Bleech! Maybe that's why as much as I hated watching this season, I hate it even more when I think back on it.

I had forgotten a lot of the at-home crowd which was probably good. I was also playing CLUE on my macbook during most of the show. What I noticed--
Conda can't walk in high heels and probably should have her hair a few shades darker.
I absolutely hated how the finalists came out thru the pictures of their former bodies. What was this supposed to demonstrate?? that they were giving birth to their new selves? I found it rather off-putting to say the least. I didn't notice if they did that for the at-homers.
Most everyone (except Mike and Kim) still looked plump, if not fat or obese, and reminded me more of the first episodes of Season I than a finale.
I thought Kim looked pretty good in the shrink wrap dress. I had preferred her as a winner even if I didn't like her during the season.
Jeremy needed to be on What not to Wear, because he looked dreadful, especially with that noticeable spare tire. I guess Spanx can't fix everything. This reminds me that I wish they would get Stacy and Clinton to do the make-overs, but they would have been wasted on this season's group.

One thing I have wondered about, though. They cut the season by several weeks. I just wonder how different things might have been with the players having another 2-3 weeks to lose weight. Maybe if Buddy hadn't walked off.... Well, he is now on my ever-growing list of least liked contestants thanks to his walking off.

These players for the most part were just really awful. Whoever screens the applicants for next season--if there is a next season--needs to do a much better job. They also need to choose people that all have the same potential for weight loss, because otherwise there are only a limited number of people with the potential to win the two prizes which makes for a much less interesting show. Bring back the yellow/red lines. And I really missed the episode where they have to put the weight back on, but that would have been ridiculous for this group. That so many of these people are still overweight or obese does not speak well for the ranch.

contestants are free to walk away if they want to

I have always taken this to mean only that the show cannot prevent them from leaving, not that there are no consequences. Obviously one consequence is that leaving means that the person is totally out of the competition. There could be other consequences built into their contracts that we don't know about--especially since having several people quit during the season can disrupt the show. I don't know what is in the current contracts, but I am sure future ones will be written to discourage people from walking off.

Jeremy is going to buy Buddy a van, too? After taxes, Buddy's van, and giving Conda her share, does Jeremy realize he won't have anything left for himself?

This. It always cracks me up when I hear "someone is going to win a quarter of a million dollars," because I know the IRS tax man will get his share plus the state taxing authorities unless the contestant is lucky enough to live in a state with no income tax. I suspect some of these winners go through the $250k faster than they gain the weight back. If Jeremy was stupid enough to agree to give Conda half of the gross winning and he actually gives her $125k plus buys Buddy a van out of his share, he will have nothing left by the time he subtract his income and gift taxes. I don't know what agreement he has with Conda, but I am sure he has to give her more than the Fair market value of the van he gives Buddy. Conda wouldn't owe tax, and she would laugh all the way to the bank. On the other hand, if he buys Buddy a van for $30k and deducts what he owes in taxes and then splits it, he and Conda each would get about $65k which is a far cry from a quarter of a million dollars. And I wonder if BL would consider revoking the prize if he had such an agreement with Buddy that caused Buddy to leave. I used to play with the potential weight loss numbers for each contestant to figure how likely anyone player was to win. I so disliked this group that I never bothered with them. Looking back, it seems that Mark couldn't break 50% without being a stick-figure, but Buddy had the potential to win either at home or on the ranch. I am not sure Buddy was sufficiently motivated to do the work at home to win, but I do think theoretically he had the potential to take a prize. If I were Buddy's wife I would be so mad.

bendercat

bendercat

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Why did Buddy comment about wanting a van? Didn't he get to go to Hawaii and the White House?

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

There could be other consequences built into their contracts that we don't know about--especially since having several people quit during the season can disrupt the show.

It's a "reality" show. The writers can compensate. Usually, the way things work is that the producers cast more competitors than they need and make the ending flexible as to how many have to be left, or plan on a multiple-elimination week. If too many contestants drop out, they have an episode where nobody is eliminated or they merge two weeks into a two-parter with the same effect. One of the five acknowledged that the producers could just pick a new set of finalists somehow. Outside of all of the finalists refusing to show up for the finale, I don't see any walkout meaning much.

callmebetty

callmebetty

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

On the other hand, if he buys Buddy a van for $30k and deducts what he owes in taxes and then splits it, he and Conda each would get about $65k which is a far cry from a quarter of a million dollars.

You know these morons never think of the taxes when they are trying to win money.
That's what I was calculating in my head, but I did it a different way:

Now I don't know all the taxes and such that would get deducted so I did a rough estimate.
Won $250,000 if say the gov't takes 20% of that you are left with $200,000
You know Conda is going to get half so she takes it from after taxes, takes $100,000
Now Jeremy has said he will buy Buddy a van (Let's see if that actually happens, because:) Say Buddys van is $30k than he is left with $70k.
I have no doubt Conda would tell Jeremy "you promised Buddy a van, I didn't, use the money from your share" so Jeremy would be out more money than Conda and she probably won't be paying taxes either.

I hope Buddy doesn't buy a van first before getting the money from Jeremy, but wouldn't that be funny.
Maybe Buddy should have stayed and he would have had a chance to win that Ford that Kim won.

Edited by callmebetty, May 4, 2012 @ 11:31 AM.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Maybe Buddy should have stayed and he would have had a chance to win that Ford that Kim won.

Buddy's reaction upon hearing about the free car given out on the very episode in which he walked out: "D'oh!" LOL

JLVerde

JLVerde

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Re: Buddy's van

My first thought was Jeremy never said he'd buy a NEW van for Buddy. He could just buy him something used. Hell, I wouldn't put it past Jeremy to pawn off a used Britt van on Buddy.

In fact, I like to think that's what will happen.

SineNomine

SineNomine

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I have no doubt Conda would tell Jeremy "you promised Buddy a van, I didn't, use the money from your share" so Jeremy would be out more money than Conda and she probably won't be paying taxes either.

Well, I forgot about the lifetime exclusion for total gifts so Jeremy isn't paying gift taxes, but he does have to file form 709 so Uncle Sam can keep track of him.

His federal based on $250k and being single with a standard deduction comes out to $63,810; then add Michigan taxes of $7000+ Just to make it easy figure $70k to Uncle Sam and Uncle Michie and we have $180k. If Conda takes half of that, that leaves Jeremy with $90k less the cost of the van at maybe $30k so he is down to $60k. Gifts aren't taxable to the recipient so Conda has $90k and Buddy a new van. What I want to know is when did he promise this. I certainly don't remember it being on the show. (Not that I saw all episodes). Of course, if he promised $125k to Conda he is so very screwed, because by the time he pays taxes and buys the van, he is down to about $25k for himself. If I could stand the Brittbratz it might have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall for the conversation about his winnings. Did he promise a new van. Maybe he can get Buddy a used van. That would be tacky, but then so are the Brittbratz.

I really took this off topic, but I am really curious as to whether there is or will be an investigation as to whether Buddy was bought off. Stupid, stupid Buddy. Stupid, stupid Jeremy. Stupid, stupid season.

And I agree with what a poster said last week that he was the biggest loser for watching this season. I think the poster has lots of company in feeling that the viewers were the biggest loser this time around.

SineNomine

SineNomine

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

deleted to remove a double post.

Edited by SineNomine, May 4, 2012 @ 12:37 PM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

If there was an agreement to split the winnings in some way, then the winnings would be split before tax and each person would be responsible for the taxes for their share.

callmebetty

callmebetty

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

What I want to know is when did he promise this. I certainly don't remember it being on the show. (Not that I saw all episodes).

Oh, there was never any shown promise, for me I'm just adding it up with things we did see.
Buddy made a comment in one episode that for the most part their was an alliance between Conda, Jeremy, Buddy and I assume Mark. I don't know if Kim was part of it.
Buddy's attitude that they would all stand together and blackmail the producers to change things.
And then what? Jeremy is going to use some of his winnings to buy Buddy a van? How altruistic of him, yeah right.

This what I love about this board discussing this stuff with you guys. I'm going to miss it for how many months, you all are the best with your insights and making me laugh. This season could have been far worse if I didn't have people to share the snark with daily.

To add: I've been meaning to write this since the finale. I love how Conda told Ali, she accomplished what she came on the show to do. However, she never said it was to lose weight. So that means to me: I accomplished for my brother to be in the final three by any means necessary and to have him win so I get half of the money.
Conda would make a wonderful dictator, overall hated but wield some kind of power get weak, gullible underlings to do your bidding while getting rid of any competition/ dissenters while you reap all the benefits.

Edited by callmebetty, May 4, 2012 @ 1:11 PM.

SineNomine

SineNomine

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

If there was an agreement to split the winnings in some way, then the winnings would be split before tax and each person would be responsible for the taxes for their share.

That would be true,if he won the lottery and he and Conda had split the cost of the winning ticket.
Now I agree that the Brittbratz almost certainly had an agreement, but I doubt it would be binding on how BL paid out, and I suspect that there is something in the contract that addressed that type situation. I know Jeremy probably felt like he won the lottery, but this is not the lottery. And while I am not up on case law on game show winnings (and don't have the inclination to research it beyond the general approach that the IRS code takes to winnings in general) I would think that the only check issued is to Jeremy and that BL reports his income to the IRS as $250k. And he then can gift whatever he wants to anyone he chooses.

Since he mentioned giving Buddy a van in the LA Times article, I am sure someone out in the real world will find Buddy and report back what type of van Jeremy buys for the family. I think Jeremy may be under more scrutiny than he expected.

I am so glad this season is over, because everytime I type "and Conda" my spell check tells me to substitute anaconda which I guess is appropriate enough.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I would think that the only check issued is to Jeremy and that BL reports his income to the IRS as $250k. And he then can gift whatever he wants to anyone he chooses.

Yes. The general rule is that it doesn't matter what you may have promised to anyone; once the check is in your hands, you owe taxes on it all. The way around this is to have a lawyer set up something to which each have claim over half the assets and to which Jeremy would have the production company write the check. As long as it's set up right, each would pay taxes on the $125K distributed to them. Making a similar arrangement is what keeps some big lottery winners from claiming their money right away. If BL is going to have relatives compete, I'd expect them to be amenable to such an arrangement, if not go so far as having the paperwork ready for any that want to do it (AFAIK, it's pretty simple).

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I remember reading an article on www.usweekly.com that one of Conda's main goals was to get Jeremy in the final three.

I am wondering why Jeremy would offer to buy Buddy a mini-van.

Kim may have not been a part of the "group" at the end but she had a part in the bullying and had a hissy fit when they found out about the others coming back. Guilt by association.

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

The season that ended with a whimper seems fitting, as most of it was Conda et al whimpering and moaning.

I'm glad for Pep-T in that he lost so much weight. For all of them, really. But under my thin veneer of altruism I find this whole group, especially the two that were obviously not mentioned (I'd forgotten a third walked out early on), deplorable.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

I thought the IRS and state takes out taxes before you receive your winnings.

I wonder if the nitwit is already out of money or close to it.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I thought the IRS and state takes out taxes before you receive your winnings.

I'm not positive how it works for game show contestants, but I assume it's similar to lottery winners. If you win the lottery the lottery agency takes 28% of your winnings out before paying you as income tax. Now, if you win the lottery it's very likely that you're going to be in a higher tax bracket and owe more than 28%. The balance between the 28% and your actual tax rate (35% currently in the US) is your responsibility to pay. If you win the money in May you should probably make a quarterly payment otherwise you'll wind up owing interest.

Is Jeremy smart enough to realize he's going to owe more taxes than what was taken out? I'm guessing not.