3-22: "The Dream Team" 2012.04.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

146 replies to this topic

rerunz

rerunz

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

If Nyholm's and Canning's endgame was really to lure in Lockhart/?'s biggest client under the guise of pursuing this dead-bang loser distracting lawsuit and bankrupting the firm--see this bright, shiny object over here? no, this one--then they've breached their fiduciary duty to their original clients, the ones that hired them to defend against the class action suits in the first place.

They were supposed to settle against the $25M judgment, were they not? Instead, they played shenanigans and enriched themselves by poaching another law firm's biggest client.

Seems to me that Lockhart/? should approach the medical equipment/pharma companies that Nyholm and Canning represented and let them in on a few facts of legal malpractice possibly leading to those companies becoming clients of Lockhart/?. Once they pay off the class action, of course.

The original client wanted Nyholm and Canning to take out Lockhart etc. because they were tired of losing to them. So by luring away LG's biggest client, they were doing what their client wanted. The client was willing to write off one more class action loss to prevent more future losses to Lockhart etc.

spanishrake

spanishrake

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Yeah, I'm over the Patti Nyholm schtick with her kids. The first time was funny, now it's just tired. I found myself totally annoyed with the kid schtick interruptions with the exception of Will saying "Our new junior associate".

I didn't think Kalinda dropped the cash/guns/etc in the vent. I thought she just used the vent as a visual marker of where in the wall she put her stash. She didn't punch out the duct work, nor would she have known where the duct work dropped to or ran if she just tossed it unseen in the vent.

I am still puzzled by the stack of orange notebook things. They weren't passports. Names and numbers of Kalinda's many Contacts?? I have no idea what they were suppose to be.

Sydneyside

Sydneyside

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

The notebooks are like the ones she uses when she's working. You see her jotting things down in them frequently. Whether the ones in the drawer were past ones from work, or separate ones with info Kalinda wanted to keep, unknown.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

Well, I like "super Kalinda." Because she's become super Kalinda mostly to protect her own heart. :)

Seconded! Give me super Kalinda over just about any of the other characters any day of the week.

It's funny how mileage varies--I think Kalinda has been much more human over the past season and change.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

PoeticJustice32 said:

Totally agree with the poster upthread. Kalinda needs some clothes with pockets. It was one thing to stash the check in her cleavage, but then having her go back in for the sunglasses was tooo much. Plus I was thinking how the hell could she comfortably fit those big ass sunglasses in that tight ass jacket. I don't really mind the wardrobe itself because Kalinda isn't a lawyer and so she really doesn't have to abide by that strict a dress code. Plus I personally like Kalinda's style. It's cool.

I know this is a bit late, but I'm just catching up. I've had a fitted bomber jacket with western-style fringing that I've worn for over 20 years because it has one deep (sunglasses) & two wallet-size pockets INSIDE. I LOVE it because I don't have to carry a bag & generally wear it to outdoor/festive events like the Calgary Stampede. The pockets are placed strategically between the bosom & waist & slightly under the armpits. An untrained eye would not be able to detect any bulk associated with the pockets. The jacket also came without a fringe and in other earth-tone colours (mine is VERY red). So I assumed Kalinda was wearing that kind of jacket & NOT ramming stuff in her bra.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:43 AM

My absolutely uninformed speculation is that we will return after a timejump, but only of half a day or so, where Kalinda is being brought in by the police for murder (which she will maintain was self defense).

Alternately, we could also timejump past Will's suspension and deal with things that way.

swatkat

swatkat

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:23 AM

How on earth would you ram your shades in your bra and not bend them out of shape or have things... bulge? It seemed pretty evident that her jacket has pockets inside - presumably big enough to carry a gun as well as more innocuous things like her shades.

The orange notebooks are the ones where she keeps her notes. It figures she wouldn't want to leave those behind.

Edited by swatkat, May 3, 2012 @ 5:23 AM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Things I just noticed: at the beginning of the episode, in the bar, are Kalinda and Alicia wearing the same clothes they wore when they had their lovely car scene in 3x11, after Alicia made Cary release Kalinda and they had their first real conversation this season? If so, that's a nice detail; well played, wardrobe and production staff, well played.

exzim

exzim

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

The orange notebooks are the ones where she keeps her notes

Yes, another dumb move by Supertec. Keep them on a easily hidden memory stick, dumbo !

crashdown

crashdown

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

Yes, another dumb move by Supertec. Keep them on a easily hidden memory stick, dumbo !

Insofar as it's possible to be offended on behalf of a fictional character, I am VERY offended on behalf of Kalinda!

Edited by crashdown, May 3, 2012 @ 6:08 PM.

Sydneyside

Sydneyside

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

I think having her notes on paper rather than digital was kind of smart. There's one copy in her personal possesion. No computer files, backups, etc. No one can know the contents or copy them without getting her notebook from her.

swatkat

swatkat

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Some people are more comfortable on paper. Data in memory sticks can be corrupted. And for all we know, she might be following the age-old practice of writing in a way that makes sense only to her. Digital =/= better, even in today's world.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

I think having her notes on paper rather than digital was kind of smart. There's one copy in her personal possesion. No computer files, backups, etc. No one can know the contents or copy them without getting her notebook from her.

Exactly. Something saved digitally can be corruped or hacked and if you want to look at the data you need access to a computer and electricity. You also have to regularly worry about format changes and the life of the storage media you are using. I mean she could save her notes on a USB drive, but what if 5 years down the road no one is using usb drives any more, just like no one uses floppy or zip disks now (and every time you copy or backup your files to a new format, you risk someone being able to access them. With books you can read them anytime you want, and as long as the books don't catch fire or get soaked, they will last a very long time. Plus like swatkat said, Kalinda probably writes in a shorthand only she can read, so even if someone did steal the books, they would be very hard to read.

exzim

exzim

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Kalinda probably writes in a shorthand only she can read, so even if someone did steal the books, they would be very hard to read

If law enforcement wants to read them, a good crypto-analyst could break a shorthand quickly, while an encripted drive can be made unbreakable unless you can wait 50 years and have a few Cray supercomputers to attack it.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

If law enforcement wants to read them, a good crypto-analyst could break a shorthand quickly, while an encripted drive can be made unbreakable unless you can wait 50 years and have a few Cray supercomputers to attack it.

But that just shows another advantage to Kalinda using notebooks over a USB drive or something. I mean if she saves her notes digtally (say on a memory stick) she could have it encripted using the best encription software in the world, but then of course if she wants to read it she now not only needs a computer and electricity, she also needs a computer that has that encription/decription software on it. When you are on the run from someone who wants to kill you, and you don't want to draw attention to yourself, that could be hard to come by.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Guys, this is Kalinda...she probably has both a memory stick with PDFs of her files and the actual notebooks!

mayact4

mayact4

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

From the recap:

It's weird to set up this particular thing and then have the judge say he's never sat on the bench for a Lockhart/Gardner case and be in a wheelchair and also be part of the Basketball Thing.

Whoa, Judge Wynter is Cousin Larry Appleton

There is some judge confusion in the recap. Cousin Larry Appleton (Mark Linn-Baker), the judge in the wheelchair, is NOT Judge Wynter and, as far as I know, was never implicated in the Basketball Thing. According to IMDb, Wheelchair Judge was named Linden. Judge Wynter, who was the judge in the acne sterlization case, was played by an actor named Armand Schultz.

That's why the setup is weird. There are two different judges.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

There are two different judges.

I don't think Jacob, who recaps the show, reads the forums. But I emailed him about there being two different judges.

Don't know if he can go back and edit.

Edited by Scorpiosrule, May 10, 2012 @ 2:02 PM.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

I have to agree with other posters about the whole bit with Nyhlom bringing her kids to the office while she's conducting depositions is ludicrous to say the least. Especially if she has a STAHH, there is no excuse to bring the kids along to a meeting or deposition and no lawfirm, especially a big law firm, would allow children to run around unsupervised. Frankly, I kept expecting someone to find (or Nyhlom to show) there was a listening device on the walker.

Also agree that its a bit ridiculous for the plot to suggest Edelstein was leaving the firm because they were "distracted" by Nyhlom's lawsuit. First off, post-pone depositions. It usually takes at least a month to schedule those most of the time anyway. Any lawfirm worth its salt can put off depos for a couple of months, even if the other side has to file a motion to compel, you've bought yourself an extra 2 months. Second, its not like L&G aren't always "distracted" by some big case, why would this one be any different? Third, seriously, they can't conduct depositions and do their other work, like every other litigator does?

I know, I know, drama, and real law work is boring. But please, cut down on the clearly fantasy plotline.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

To be fair, I thought the implication was that Patrick Edelstein had been unhappy with some OTHER decisions LG made and was looking to jump ship. Wasn't he quite angry with Will like ten episodes ago because the firm decided to KEEP pursuing some lawsuit that he wanted them to drop? I got the sense the relationship was a little precarious after that.

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

Also thought Patty Nyholm and her in-office husband and babies were ridiculous. I mean, why? The people who work at LG don't bring their kids to the office because they make day care arrangements, yet they have to put up with this twit's family because... again, why? She has a house husband, why does he accompany her to work?

Territoriality -- like a big dog lifting his leg.

Sydneyside

Sydneyside

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Top notch acting by all, but I thought Archie killed all her scenes - her eyes are sooo expressive.

Yes--if I were AP, I'd use the finale as my Emmy nom episode. She won't win--the writers didn't give her the material this year in the long run--but I hands-down think the finale was Kalinda's meatiest, and AP's best, episode of the season

These x 1000. At the end of a season 3 rewatch, this ep just pops and is compelling for Kalinda and has a real contrast in the scenes. Plus in a show where the acting definitely not about chewing the scenery I think it's hilarious that in the two sequences in Kalinda's apartment she doesn't say a word but does literally bash in a wall and rearrange the furniture. 

I read here what she's thinking of submitting 'The Penalty Box'.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: If you’re nominated again, which episode would you submit?
ARCHIE PANJABI: I’m still uncertain, but I’m thinking more about that episode “Penalty Box,” just because for three seasons we’ve seen this really strong, sexually manipulative character of Kalinda, and I think this episode is a real turning point because you start to see a few cracks.

Don't do it Archie! You're just being British / polite and not wanting to submit something with boob flashes, gun racking and sledgehammers. 'The Dream Team' is so much stronger as a standalone ep, particularly for a judging panel that may not watch regularly. The facial reactions in the two F&E Construction conversations with Alicia, the quiet bro scene with Will, and the look of stoic dread in the end at the door are killer. (On the other hand it's rather sweet that she's thinking of submitting her gayest ep of the year.)

That said, it would be rather fab if CB won this year because it was Diane's season and then all three ladies would have won for the show. 

crashdown

crashdown

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Don't do it Archie! You're just being British / polite and not wanting to submit something with boob flashes, gun racking and sledgehammers. 'The Dream Team' is so much stronger as a standalone ep, particularly for a judging panel that may not watch regularly. The facial reactions in the two F&E Construction conversations with Alicia, the quiet bro scene with Will, and the look of stoic dread in the end at the door are killer.

I agree--"The Dream Team" was the best Emmy bait that Archie has. (And Robert King's directing was just terrific: the final scene where Kalinda stares at the packed bag on her bed through the framed doorway before deciding to stay is just beautifully shot.) There's so much range in that episode: the conversations with Alicia, the bar scene with Will, and the confrontation with Patti and Andrew and the strollers of doom in the park. I hope somebody talks some sense into her (or, alternatively, I hope she's reading this forum right now. Hi, Archie!).

That said, it would be rather fab if CB won this year because it was Diane's season and then all three ladies would have won for the show.

This, x 1000. I worry about its possibilities, because the Emmy winner is chosen by a single standout episode, not work over an entire season. Christine has been consistently great all season long, with wonderful scenes sprinkled throughout multiple episodes. But I'm not sure that she has a single *great* episode that really showcases her character. I wish that the Kings had made sure that she had one, because Christine truly deserves to be genuinely competitive in the always-cutthroat Best Supporting Actress field this year.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

This, x 1000. I worry about its possibilities, because the Emmy winner is chosen by a single standout episode, not work over an entire season. Christine has been consistently great all season long, with wonderful scenes sprinkled throughout multiple episodes. But I'm not sure that she has a single *great* episode that really showcases her character.

Wait, I thought that for a nomination, actors only got to pick one episode, but for the award, panels were supposed to watch a bigger body of work. Am I wrong? Because if not, that seems to be a pretty flawed system. What if, say, a panelist regularly watches Mad Men but not TGW? Isn't that giving an unfair advantage to the nominees from Mad Men?

On the topic of AP's nomination, I can see why The Penalty Box would appeal--it was a more Kalinda-centric episode than the finale and I do think that AP was right in that we probably got to see the softest, most vulnerable Kalinda we've ever seen in that episode. So I can see why she would be thinking that episode, because it was a great showcase of her range. But I think her performance was more impressive in the finale, because as an actor she did more with less. While she was able to turn ON the vulnerability in Penalty Box in an impressive way, her slow unraveling in the finale is more compelling and showcases the subtlety of her acting. And subtlety has always been the appeal of AP's Kalinda.

...in my opinion, of course.

Edited by stealinghome, Jul 8, 2012 @ 11:24 PM.

Sydneyside

Sydneyside

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

It's my understanding (admittedly Australian) that if nominated you submit one episode to the panel to be considered for the win and the panel is on honour to watch all their DVDs. (It used to a marathon screening that panelists would attend, but they ditched it deciding that the panel was skewing conservative due to the nature of who was available to attend versus watching at home on one's own time.)

And yes I can see the appeal of 'The Penalty Box' but if you were a one off viewer, would you get how off her game Kalinda was? Whereas she just dominated her scenes in the finale, and Kalinda has an arc through the ep, starting off with the upbeat if nervous bar scene with Alicia, doing her job as normal at the start of COTW and then unravelling after getting blow after blow.

I hope somebody talks some sense into her (or, alternatively, I hope she's reading this forum right now. Hi, Archie!).

Seriously, I've done my bit and posted my thoughts to the universe. I can rest easy. Hi from me too.

Regarding what I think CB should submit, maybe 'Long Way Home'? That was the end of the Caitlin arc, so it had the 2nd wave / 3rd wave feminism scenes, plus all the power jockeying at L/? and CB had some great moments with the Colin Sweeney turkey baster stuff. My fave Diane moments of the year were probably the smackdown she delivered to Judge Cuesta in 'The Penalty Box', and the confrontation with Will about sleeping with Alicia, but then I also enjoyed her man deluge too. Yikes! (MrsSydneyside says the man deluge should be submitted. Hmmm.)

With considerable amusement, I note that Archie did submit "The Dream Team". She definitely looks like an outside chance, but hey, people would have said that about her the year she won too. *waves again to AP*

Edited by Sydneyside, Jul 29, 2012 @ 3:27 AM.

karicola88

karicola88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 2:02 AM

(And Robert King's directing was just terrific: the final scene where Kalinda stares at the packed bag on her bed through the framed doorway before deciding to stay is just beautifully shot.)

Yes! I thought his directing was phenomenal! There's this great description in the comments section of this article http://www.huffingto..._b_1463346.html
"Quick edits accellerated what were a series of neatly interlaced tracking shots were classic examples of his form - and I swear there was even a moment where I could hear the atomospheric/grunge sound used in Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' soundtrack.

It was very David Fincher! But more importantly, it was VERY The Good Wife. These people have created such a unique visual experience. I just love that. I would love to see an Emmy nomination for directing for TGW some day.

While I'm rooting for CB to make the actresses all even and because this was Diane's season, I'm unabashedly always rooting for Archie too. I think Archie is just Emmy bait regardless of what episode she submits. CB and JM have been nominated like a hundred times so I will always feel AP will be more deserving of an Emmy on that level, but also in terms of performance. I just can't get over how extraordinary, subtle, and unique her work is, and how hard yet simultaneously easy she makes it look.

Edited by karicola88, Aug 4, 2012 @ 10:54 AM.

crashdown

crashdown

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

Responding on the Awards thread.