5-7: "At the Codfish Ball" 2012.04.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

635 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

From Comcast.net:

Don, Roger and Pete team up to rustle up some new clients; Sally lends a hand to a relative.

Ladies and gentlemen, Buddy Ebson and Miss Shirley Temple!

Dis Gruntled

Dis Gruntled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Oh my God, Roger and Sally and then Sally see's him getting head from Mrs. Calvet. Outstanding! Top 5 moment in the series!

gingerhorsesnap

gingerhorsesnap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

RIP Sally Draper's innocence (for the 3894293297th time)

And also Roger's cackle after, "No matter what, your little girl will spread her legs and fly away." killed me. I love it when Roger cackles.

Edited by gingerhorsesnap, Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:08 PM.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

My favorite lines from this episode (and it had many good ones) -

"She's French."
"That's not what that is." HA! Megan, you have damn near won me over.

"Someone dumped you?" Word, Peggy. It's pretty unbelievable. I adore the Joan and Peggy friendship

"Are you babysitting?" No, Bobby. He's Sally's date and it was freaking awesome and creepy. But hang on to that storyline idea. It has potential.

Kiernan Shipka's parents have to be psyched that they will never have to have any awkward sex talks with her. Table read takes care of that.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

"How's the city?"..."Dirty". Easily the best ep of the season. Jam packed with awesomesauce: the pitch (perfect) dinner, the Peggy/Joan/Megan sisterhood of the empowerment pants, the continuing despoilment of the poor white carpet. All that and everyone gets merde at the Codfish ball!

Edited by Souvien, Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:08 PM.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Glen is still creepy.

Sally got an eyeful... I knew something was going to happen with Megan's mother & Roger.

So what is it that Megan really wants to do? Act?

I can't help but love Mama Francis, poor Bluto.

Karelian

Karelian

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Is there anything as debonair as having a French-Canadian mother-in-law having existential marital drama in your "Modesty Blaise's penthouse" apartment and then giving a desperate BJ to your colleague at an awards ceremony?

How small-scale bourgeois Peggy's dinner seemed. Props for Peggy for trying to handle her boyfriend, mother and beautiful young rival as maturely as anyone possibly can. Too bad none of that is getting her anywhere.

SinInTheCamp

SinInTheCamp

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Wow! Fantastic episode, probably my fav of the season so far...despite the return of Glen and MW trying to make Megan happen as an ad genius. I loved all the tension between her parents and the allusion to Megan's previous career aspirations. I also loved the Marxism thrown in; so true and appropriate.

Roger and Marie....WOW. Poor Sally.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Hard truths: We had to sit through 63 minutes to get to the epic, penultimate scene.

They (advertisers with purse strings) don't like Don.

Don's in-laws despise each other.

Megan's father sees right through her.

Sally. Oh, Sally.

shriekingeel

shriekingeel

Couch Potato

Great episode. But why on earth did Peggy think that was a good idea?

sopreppypink

sopreppypink

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Dr. Calvet's line about spreading your legs had me LOLing.

Poor Sally.

texastwostep

texastwostep

Couch Potato

Sally + Roger = GOLD.

So Megan is also a genius? Good Lord.

Loved how this episode highlighted disappointment - Peggy not getting a proposal or saving the day (although she put on a hell of a game face), Don finding out no one wants to work with him because they think he's too renegade, Sally seeing Grandma Calvet with her "date" (and wow - Glen!). With the possible exception of Roger of course. The Silver Fox is back, baby.

ETA: Yay, Mona!!

Edited by texastwostep, Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

I'm done with Roger. He's pissing me off. His charm is not going to work for me. I know he didn't know Sally saw him but that was just wrong.

And Pete was right AGAIN. 'Clients will be afraid you'll do the same to them.' is EXACTLY what Pete said last year.

I'm glad the Dow guy was honest with Don. But will Don say anything to the rest of SCDP? Does this mean they will never get to the big leagues?

So... it must be the actress thing. Megan really wants to be an actress and her father is disappointed she's "settled" for Don?

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

This ep was a bit on the nose and almost too light--except the events were so gratifying, and of course the ending was something of a bringing down to earth.

Peggy and Joan got a little too kumbayah sisterish--but it was still so nice to see.

Didn't recognize Julia Ormond as Megan's mother.

And those clothes were a gas!

And Roger was in fine form, no pun intended.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

When they played the "explicit material" warning mid-episode instead of at the beginning, I was wondering what would happen. Didn't expect that any more than Sally did though!

vb68

vb68

Stalker

I swear that's the nicest Joan has ever been to Peggy. It actually melted my heart.

I know Peggy tried to pay that forward with Megan, but I wasn't sure if Megan believed it.

And I'm not so sure Peggy's mother is wrong about Abe.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

And also Roger's cackle after, "No matter what, your little girl will spread her legs and fly away." killed me. I love it when Roger cackles.

"Wings, Papa, wings." I was cackling right along with Roger.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

We really missed Allison Brie this episode.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

The only person in this episode that Megan's dad didn't seem to hate is Pete. How the fuck did that happen?

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Unfortunately my mother would react like Peggy's mother if my boyfriend moved in... even at my age and 40+ years later than the show.

So glad that Joan was supportive to Peggy!

Gwen4791

Gwen4791

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Fantastic episode!

It's lovely how Megan's mother is the female version of the old Don Draper. Loved Roger as Sally's date. And, I'm loving the parenting skills Don displayed tonight.

Pepper Jam

Pepper Jam

Loyal Viewer

I know he is just a kid, but Glen is just gross. Did he have only a coat on, nothing underneath?

Great episode overall.

Dianaofthehunt

Dianaofthehunt

Loyal Viewer

Abe's nervousness should be listed as a separate character. He's cool. I loved the bra-talk scene between Peggy, Abe, Stan and Ginzo. Looks like Abe and Stan are pals.
Mama Olson, go croak with your guilt trips. But really, Peggy should have known better than try to get her approval for Peggy's new domestic scene.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Nice straight-forward story-telling this evening, but every glance and line reading meant so much more after what we've seen so far. I loved the casting of Megan's parents. The actress who played Marie is stunning and really looks like she could be Jessica Pare's mother. And Emile is sort of a French-Canadian Max von Sydow: "My daughter pretends to find interesting what I find interesting because she loves me." Was that about you or Don or both?

Megan's ad idea for Heinz was really good and it was great to see Don acknowledge that, but why did she pull back when the frat boys were congratulating her? Did she think they didn't believe it was really her idea?

And Roger, Roger, Roger... your mind is blown, you have an adult conversation with your ex, and then you unzip your pants for your colleague's mother-in-law? Poor Sally indeed.

ETA: Julia Ormand as Marie? Of course!

Edited by Inquisitionist, Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Love how Roger was with Sally, and then... YIKES!

Megan was impressive with her idea and how she saved the account. Yes, she was lucky that Mrs. Beans spilled the beans, but Megan knew how to respond. She deserves the credit.

I felt for Don learning that no one wants to do business with him because of The Letter. Honestly, at the time that seemed like the best thing to do, but I don't know what his options are now.

Weird seeing Glenn again, but I'm glad that he and Sally are keeping in touch.

I love how Pete demonstrated to Emile what he does for a living.

It's always nice to see Peggy and Joan interact.

Haiti D

Haiti D

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

The ending was kind of disappointing. Everything else was great. I personally can't believe Roger would be so careless as to get a BJ in plain view like that. That scene was just being salacious, I think we would have gotten the point if we had just been shown them kissing.

Otherwise a very good episode.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Oh. Poor Sally. What a thing to see. Your date getting blown by your step-grandmother. Dirty, indeed!
Megan's parents...issues abound there. I was beyond creeped out at the way Dr Calvert was looking at his daughter.
What was the purpose of weird little Glenn? Sally's confidante?
Loved the scene with them sitting at the table, all with various stages of misery & horror on their faces.

dupreesgal

dupreesgal

Video Archivist

Fathers and daughters.....complicated stuff. I wish we had more Don and Sally. It makes me smile. It was great to see a glimpse into how women fit into business in the old world (Roger's ex) and the younger generation trying to figure out where women fit in the modern day. Peggy surprised me with her reaction to Megan's success. So much greatness tonight.

IDrive65

IDrive65

Loyal Viewer

Glasses, dishes, napalm ... classic Roger.

How old is MW's kid? I thought that was a dorm, but he can't be 18 yet. Is he supposed to be at boarding school?

missbloom

missbloom

Channel Surfer

Now this was a vintage MM episode, about time! Funny and clever with significant plot and character advancements for all.

I think the line spoken by Megan's Dad, that she pretends to be interested in what her father does because she loves him, is a very significant insight into her relationship with psuedo-daddy-Don. And her father's conversation with her at dinner suggests something similar. I don't know if it's acting that she really wants to do though. Perhaps she's a spy! Ok, maybe not.

I loved Sally's storyline of desperately wanting to be a part of the adult world, and then finding herself somewhere between not quite comfortable in it and completely left out of it once she got there. Very well written and as always, lovely acting.

Go Peggy! I really hope her mum is not right about Abe practising, though...

ETA - correcting details of conversation

Edited by missbloom, Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:16 PM.