Common Law: It's Like Marriage, Only with Bullets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

306 replies to this topic

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Decided to use USA's tagline for the show on their website.

So USA has now decided to turn to two detectives for their latest "Characters Welcome" line up of shows.

Common Law On USA

Common Law on Wikipedia

Common Law On IMDBIMDB link has more information about the people producing and directing it.

I've seen some of the ads for it and so far I'm curious and interested. Here's a little bit from the website:
It's premiering on May 11.

The series follows two Los Angeles Police Department homicide detectives, Travis Marks and Wes Mitchell, who can't stand each other. The constant bickering between the two partners prompts their commanding officer, Captain Phil Sutton, to send them to a couple's therapist, Dr. Elyse Ryan, in hopes of resolving the situation.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

I just can't believe they went with such bland title for this show. Seriously, it could refer to any number of TV show premises.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I imagine they came up with the name because the two are in a partnership of sorts and that the therapist is a marriage counselor.

But yeah, they could have come up with a better name.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Saw 5 sneak peeks and a 2 minute preview for this show and I definitely will be tuning in. Michael Ealy is my #1 draw, I enjoy him as an actor and he's not hard to look at either.

YumYum

YumYum

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

These two in need of a marriage counselor is kinda cute...will we actually see them suffering through a therapy session, I wonder? I think, just from the promos, the dialogue will be crisp and funny. I'll give it a go.

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I read through this thread and was not going to check for the show until I read this:

Michael Ealy is my #1 draw, I enjoy him as an actor and he's not hard to look at either.

That is all I need to read. I will definitely be checking out a few episodes.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I saw another promo ad and I keep on giggling on two lines that appear:

"Which one of us shot you?"

and "You were hiding behind the twinkies."

Will watch the pilot and a couple episodes at least to get a feel for it.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Bumping.

It's premiering in a couple days, and more adverts on tv are showing up. Plus a few reviews of those that have seen the premiere.

TVFanatic Review

TVequals Interview

Newsday review gave it a B+.

There are other articles out there and 98% seems to be positive about the show.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

Looking over what the idea of this show seems to be based on, I get the sense that they're playing off of the old formula seen best in movies like the Lethal Weapon series.

But from the clips and promos I've seen, I think the show looks incredibly promising, and entertaining, and everyone seems to be decent actors. Also, it doesn't hurt that both leads are eye candy, especially Michael.

I personally prefer shows with bromances so hopefully this show will not lose that edge too soon.

Edited by CPP83, May 10, 2012 @ 1:07 AM.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

I was not planning on watching this show, even wit the casting of Ealy. However, I have seen several advertisements for the show and it actually looks like it might be fun and clever. I will give a three episode try to see if it is worth my time.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I plan on watching, mostly DVR'ing. I really hate that they put it on Friday nights. Isn't In Plain Sight ending, couldn't they have their slot?

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

My DVR is set for this show. Hope its worthy of the space.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

I apparently sold my soul to USA at some point and forgot all about it, because I'll be there for at least the first episode. The fact that the counselor they see is Penny from Lost certainly doesn't hurt.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Crap. Forgot to record the episode tonight. Couple friends told me it was good though and I have no doubt that the premiere will be repeated, I just have to make sure to catch a rerun of it.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

Sooo two guys and an entire police force of women.....ok.

Well except the Captain because the boss has to be a man.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, May 11, 2012 @ 10:21 PM.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

The show will rerun at 1 am SisterOfSylar, if you want to stay up tonight, but it also will rerun tomorrow night, I believe.

Wow, I liked it. I really liked it and I haven't felt that way about a new show in a long while. I enjoyed the banter between the two leads, they really just have something that clicks between them, I think. I also liked how it wasn't so silly that everything seemed over the top, but the one liners were quite genius. The bad guy was quite obvious the moment he appeared on screen, but then again all USA shows seem to love giving away the bad guy as early on in the show as humanly possible, for whatever reason.

Travis is a man whore, I like. This show gives me something to watch on Friday again, so I will keep tuning in. They also didn't make their therapist annoyingly involved, outside of their sessions, so that is also a good note in my book. The added couples in therapy were a nice touch as well. I loved the ladies giggling over the idea of Wes' wife cheating on him, as if. As if, indeed.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I thought it was ok. Some of the one liners were right on point and I cracked up.

I know they're male but I don't know how Travis can bounce back from some of the things Wes lobbed at him especially about him being unwanted. That was especially harsh.

It seems really fun and light and I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves. I wonder what was the trigger for their falling out.

Michael Ealy is soo cute.

RandomMe

RandomMe

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

I really enjoyed the premiere as well. I've never seen Michael Ealy in anything other than movie previews (not the kind of movies I watch), but throughout the episode I kept thinking how they got the perfect person to play the ridiculously charming man-whore of a cop. (Gah, why are your eyes blue, Michael?)
Their banter was fun, if a little harsh at times, but I love the way they work together when they're actually working. Plus, they have Andrea Parker as the D.A. Pretender Nostalgia!
I'll be tuning in again.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

LOVED the premiere! The banter between them is absolutely hilarious! Casting did a great job with casting, truly!
Michael Ealy brought me here (gosh is this man smoking ass hot or what?) but I'm staying for the characters, writing, and overall like of the show.

Razy

Razy

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

Ugh, I watched about a half hour and thought it was awful despite Michael Ealy's hotness. I really don't need to watch an hour of the Bickersons. And I don't buy his partner giving up lawyering to be a cop, because "people need good cops more than they need good lawyers". Also, driving the car into the convenience store?? Seriously? That was "by the book"? These guys are a couple of morons.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

Well except the Captain because the boss has to be a man.

There's also what's his face from Jericho (playing another detective and what's her face from Jericho--the ME) as well.

I give it a 6 out of 10. I laughed quite a bit but I didn't like the bickering and I wouldn't be able to stay either one of their partners for long. Their relationship is just unhealthy.

I did not like Travis (although he does have beautiful eyes). And why did the marshal from The Finder have to show up here? I thought I was free of her.

Edited by cmm226, May 12, 2012 @ 5:07 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

I loved this. USA has the full pilot episode up on their website. I loved the bickering and the unconventional policing. I know it wouldn't happen in real life, but that was just damn entertaining. I laughed hysterically with some of Travis' marksmanship. He's just one of those characters who will go there.

I enjoyed the banter between the two leads, they really just have something that clicks between them, I think. I also liked how it wasn't so silly that everything seemed over the top, but the one liners were quite genius.

Even though they bickered like crazy, when push came to shove, they had each others' backs. I buy them as friends and partners who have hit a rough patch.

I also can't wait to meet more of Travis' siblings.

jah1986

jah1986

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

I didn't love it, but it was a pilot so I'll give it another try for Michael Ealy. This is at least the third series he and Sonya Walger have been in together, always interesting to see who they'll portray. Hope they tone down the bickering. Liked the other couples in the therapy sessions.

Edited by jah1986, May 12, 2012 @ 8:21 PM.

RandomMe

RandomMe

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

There's also what's his face from Jericho (playing another detective and what's her face from Jericho--the ME) as well.

That's who that detective was! I recognize Alicia Coppola immediately because of my love for her in Jericho; I'm embarrassed i didn't muster more than a vague "annoying detective looks familiar" vibe for her Jericho boyfriend.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Well this has been great fun. We were laughing at the characters and the light dialog. It will get another try on my DVR to see if we still like it.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

We watched. We probably will again. I liked the cop part but all the bickering will get old. It seems so contrived.

YumYum

YumYum

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

I'll bet the bickering subsides some as the episodes roll out. They have established the fact that these two guys have reached a point in their "marriage" where there is strain, a 7 year itch where everything annoys them, and they need help to get through this period. They'll probably always bicker some, which puts some crisp and funny spice into the dialogue, but maybe not as much as the pilot provided. They're cute as hell and we laughed out loud many times.

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

It certainly isn't meant to be taken seriously, but the pilot was quite a lot of fun. Michael Ealy is certainly easy on the eyes! I'm in!

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Ugh, I watched about a half hour and thought it was awful despite Michael Ealy's hotness. I really don't need to watch an hour of the Bickersons. And I don't buy his partner giving up lawyering to be a cop, because "people need good cops more than they need good lawyers". Also, driving the car into the convenience store?? Seriously? That was "by the book"? These guys are a couple of morons

I couldn't even finish the pilot, so I'm with you. This is not for me. Seriously, they trashed the guy's convenience store, and for what? Just to prove they could spot a robbery going down? Whatever.

And of course, the other detectives do stuff by the rules, and get results, so they must be the bad guys. And he called them "Cagney and Lacey" which is so funny you guys, because Cagney and Lacey were both women, right, and this is a man-woman team, so it's insulting to be called a woman. Because women suck. Just, wow.

Also, the initial scene in therapy, more hilarity because they're mistaken for a gay couple, the horror. So obviously a big part of Ealy's characterization has to be sleeping with ALL the women. Because not only is he not gay, he is super-duper not gay.

It takes more than two hot leads to make me watch this. I'm out.

BestestAuntEver

BestestAuntEver

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Finally able to post. I watched & enjoyed the show overall. Parts of the show were really able to make me laugh however there were some scenes that dragged yet this was the pilot & I'm hoping that improves. I am going to watch 3-4 more episodes before I make a decision.

There is a lot of potential with back story for both characters & coould make for a great show if it's not all about bickering.

* being abandoned at birth
* 18 foster homes
* all those foster siblings
* How did he discover that an innocent man was sent to jail
* Why become a cop instead of a legalaid attorney
* Where does his money come from

If the show deals with it slowly, it could be watch worthy TV.