Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

Pat Baby has left me speechless.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

"Did she just say eyes are the NIPPLES of the face?"

Yes - I heard it too. Really unbelievable stuff.

Someone needs to put this on a T-shirt, ASAP!

Did she say "skrotzee" as in "I love skrotzee crystals"?

Yes, at best it was "swoffsky" for Swarovski. I HATE when they claim those glued-on rhinestones are Swarovski crystals. I have a pair of earrings that are sterling silver with just one Swarovski crystal on each, and they cost nearly $200. From the Swoffsky Store itself, thank you very much.

yian

yian

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

I am honestly dumbfounded. Pat-Baby and his father talking about being habitual offenders. like it's nothing. The 14 year old looking for a husband, and them admitting on TV that they take their kids out of school young.

I really wish they would can the fake, phone conversations with the dress maker. I know they are trying to make her the American Thelma, but she is not needed. For one thing, she lives in another state, unlike Thelma who was within driving distance to her brides, so it seemed more organic.

I'm actually surprised they have problems booking a venue in America. I thought that was more of a problem for the British version, since they have a smaller pool of venues to choose from.

That burger place that was featured, Ewwww. Teenagers handling food, without gloves, and slapping it on a plate. Yuck!

So this episode cleared up the questions from last week, apparently, there is a difference between Romanichel and Romani Gypsy. It seems the Romani gypsies look down on the Romanichel's who are a mix of Romani and Irish Travelers.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

That burger place that was featured, Ewwww. Teenagers handling food, without gloves, and slapping it on a plate. Yuck!

That's more a Georgia thing than a Gypsy thing. I work in a restaurant, and sometimes customers from out of town get a little upset, but otherwise, we just explain we keep our hands washed and sanitized.

MementoMori

MementoMori

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

I still hadn't gotten over Grandma Pepe ("Peepee") and then this week we are introduced to a guy named Pat Baby.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:02 AM

I work in a restaurant, and sometimes customers from out of town get a little upset, but otherwise, we just explain we keep our hands washed and sanitized.

Gloves are not required by law except for certain foods that are meant to be served raw. Gloves are actually horrible for sanitation when handling food. They make things far far unsanitary since the gloves become bacteria magnets and cannot be cleaned.

Same with hairnets. If you see gloves and hairnets on everybody any one in the food industry will tell you that is a sign that the workers have various diseases and parasites that can transmit to you and make you sick.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:06 AM

I don't know where to start with this episode, but Priscilla and her family are just...wow.

I couldn't believe that her mother started to tear up when she saw Priscilla, not in that foofy pink Barbie gown, but in the bedazzled tank top and booty shorts, or that she said that particular outfit showed Priscilla's kind heart or whatever nonsense she was spouting. The rhinestone boots were ridiculous though - there was a HUGE gap at the top so it ended up looking like she was wearing ill-fitting rainboots.

I, too, hate how the girls on this show and the UK version insist on referring to any crappy rhinestone as diamonds. Girls, diamonds are worth a lot of money. The tacky shit they're gluing onto your dresses are not even Swarovski crystals. They're faceted pieces of plastic from the craft store.

The utter hypocrisy that Priscilla's mother criticized a non-gypsy for "showing too much hoo ha" when that girl was wearing at least twice as much clothing as Priscilla was ridiculous. At least Priscilla's complaint about the same girl was that dancing with a boy like that was made her dirty, not her outfit.

I'm certain that at some point when Priscilla's mom was talking about the venue for the party, it was still four weeks away. If they are capable of planning four whole weeks in advance (which is still ridiculous for a normal person, but I'll disregard that for the moment), why didn't they order her dress and "dance outfit" sooner? I guess the dressmaker drama is supposed to revolve around not having enough time to bedazzle the shit out of every obnoxious outfit they create, but it seems like such a contradiction that they'd bother to start looking for a party venue four whole weeks beforehand and then give the dress maker ten days.

I laughed when the burger girl's coworker said, "Someone told me that you're a gypsy." Someone? You mean like the people at TLC when they had you sign a waiver to appear on camera?

Same with hairnets. If you see gloves and hairnets on everybody any one in the food industry will tell you that is a sign that the workers have various diseases and parasites that can transmit to you and make you sick.

I think the laws vary from state to state. I know that when I volunteered at a food kitchen, they made all of us wear hairnets or those little paper hats (without bothering to check us for parasites or diseases). My friend works at a nice restaurant and they're all required to wear hats or hairnets in the kitchen too. As for handling food without gloves, most customers don't complain because they don't see what actually goes on in the kitchen so they don't know that people are handling food with their bare hands!

ETA: I totally forgot to mention that the king of Priscilla's party was kissing her on the cheek! Doesn't that mean her reputation is ruined now? Dirty girl! I was mostly laughing at him because he obviously didn't want that huge crown to mess up his hair. I kept thinking that he needed the crown equivalent of JD's hairmet (helmet that doesn't interfere with your hair) on Scrubs.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, May 7, 2012 @ 5:08 AM.

Deee

Deee

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:13 AM

I watched this show with great interest as I used to live in Augusta, GA where we had Irish travelers (gypsies). They are notoriously secretive so I was wondering what would be shown on the show. The gypsy women I am familiar with travel in large groups everywhere so I was most surprised about the small wedding. This gypsy community must be very small or the people shown are not that popular in their community. Or, as mentioned above, it was some kind of fake thing to scam money from TLC.

Here is a link to an article about the Irish travelers in SC:

http://www.time.com/...1003381,00.html

They try to live off the grid as much as possible so the kids don't go to school for very long and they have minimum town services. Most everyone in the community has the last name of Sherlock to confuse matters even more. The have heavy accents and speak in pidgin Irish to each other.

They grotesquely "tart up" the girls starting in young elementary age and most girls are married as young teenagers. I have personally witnessed coming out parties in restaurants where very young girls are dressed in a manner that makes Toddler's in Tiaras look tame. The don't marry outside their community so sadly, everyone looks alike. The women all have Irish features similar to Rosie O'Donnell - dark hair, fair skin and similar facial structure.

The women go out in the community in groups and are always highly made up and tacky. When they are out in the community they try to use confusion and fake drama to shop lift and rip off restaurants. I worked in a nice women's clothing store where they periodically swarmed in and tried to create confusion at the cash register while the rest of the group rifled through the racks.

I suspect that the SC Irish travelers think that these gypsies are trashy.

Edited by Deee, May 7, 2012 @ 5:29 AM.

NJRach

NJRach

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

What the heck were those enormous tacky vases and statues in Priscilla's trailer home? One vase looked about 5 feet tall. They took up so much floor space. And with four people calling that place home, that didn't leave much room. And they didn't have anywhere to sit outside.

And in the last scene it looked like they hitched the trailer up and were going to move it. Wouldn't all the fancy vases end up in shards all over the floor?

I also thought it was strange to have all that china, especially sitting on the floor, with an autistic four year old running araound, in such a confined space.

When Priscilla's father went to the cemetary to see his sister's grave, he also pointed out several babies who died. One was a toddler and one or two others were infants. Were those his children? There was a pretty big gap in age between Priscilla and her brother. If those were his children, I feel bad for him.

Finally, a big WTF on Pricsilla's mom's dress at the Hallloween party. I mean, calling her well-endowed doesn't even cover it. The red satin bodice barely covered it as well. I'd estimate those hooters to be around 52FF.

I was left scratching my head at her body shape. Her face looked young, like she could have been in her mid-twenties. From the back she looked average sized. But when she turned sideways she looked huge. Maybe she was pregnant? It was hard to tell.

Edited by NJRach, May 7, 2012 @ 7:17 AM.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

Pat Baby really pinged my gaydar. Since being gay is as verboten as a college degree that leaves a lot of young people in the closet. Is there anything not sad about this heinous "culture"?

charterdsgn

charterdsgn

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

So this episode cleared up the questions from last week, apparently, there is a difference between Romanichel and Romani Gypsy. It seems the Romani gypsies look down on the Romanichel's who are a mix of Romani and Irish Travelers.

The show is not very clear on this at all, (and it's pretty silly to proceed with a show about Gypsies to an American audience without explaining what they are.)

The Romanichal are actually a sub-group of the Romani. They should have specified the sub-group of the other people they identified, just like they did for the Romanichals, rather than just writing 'Romani,' because everyone on this show so far has been Romani. The people on the show just belong to different branches. We've seen mostly Romanichal, but yesterday we were also introduced to another (unspecified?) branch of the Romani, which was Amber and Ashley's family. All we were told is that their family came from Romania.

MaryDell

MaryDell

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Pat Baby really pinged my gaydar.

Mine, too. Maybe it was the fact that he said the pouffy pink dress made him wish he was a cross-dresser coupled with his twice-stated desire for the knee-high, bedazzled boots.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

. I HATE when they claim those glued-on rhinestones are Swarovski crystals. I have a pair of earrings that are sterling silver with just one Swarovski crystal on each, and they cost nearly $200. From the Swoffsky Store itself, thank you very much.

Swarovski does make rhinestones. They're the top of the line for crystals if you want a shiny dance costume (or whatever). They're certainly not to the level of their jewelry and aren't that expensive (all though it adds up when you need a ton).

http://www.dreamtime...ck-rhinestones/

So the 14 year old, she wasn't in school right? She was too busy parenting her bother and wiping. Because your life isn't complete if you haven't wiped down your ugly statues.

r2sims

r2sims

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

I just watched the recording & that's what the closed captioning said.

Yes, Pat Baby is tres gay.

Edited by r2sims, May 7, 2012 @ 10:59 AM.

AFDiva

AFDiva

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

Wait wait y'all...the Boston Dress Parade!! Epic. I was laughing so hard, the dog left the room.

P-Baby is gay. That may account for the age gap in kids as it takes special moonshine to get it up?

Pretty casual about a recent murder of ones sibling, no?

The whole showing of the paving business. Isn't that what gets them in trouble with the law and they showed it? I think there are some angry ass brethren out there over this.

I'm thinking Romansion folks could be the king pin of getting the gigs. Note that neither mom nor dad were shown on camera.

I thought kissing was taboo.

Something tells me that on the gypsy scale of trash to class, this family rates trash.

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

ETA: I totally forgot to mention that the king of Priscilla's party was kissing her on the cheek! Doesn't that mean her reputation is ruined now? Dirty girl!

Hahaha I thought the same thing. That's for the altar, missy!

ITA with the show (or himself) making Pat-baby the American Paddy.

Did anyone catch Pat-baby saying to his son who was getting his hair washed in the salon about looking like a traveler? Did I hear that right? Was he interchanging gypsy with traveler?

And the tattoo on his inner forerm was a tribute to a sister. Not the same sister who just died? It didn't look "fresh" like the tat he got for the party.

Oh Ashley and Amber? Unless you have "half a football field of ruffles" with hot-fix rhinestones from head to toe, you ain't upstaging the queen of the party. And I thought that was kinda mean unless they didn't know it was her find-a-husband party. Maybe all is fair in love and husband hunting.

OK, I know it's completely fucked up, but I was rooting for Priscilla to find her "husband." And I hope that guy that kept kissing her on the cheek would be the one. Not because he smells good, but because her life and future "hangs on this party." That just seems so "wrong," but if that's her goal in life, I hope she reaches it.

DVR Devotee

DVR Devotee

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

I just watched the recording & that's what the closed captioning said.

"The eyes are the nipples of the face" is a line from the Anna Faris movie "The House Bunny." Interesting that these kids are 'protected' from the evils of the school system, but movies are a-ok!

Yes, Pat Baby is tres gay.

Between saying he wished he was a cross-dresser, saying he wanted her boots for himself, and then carrying her train so happily around Boston so everyone could see her dress, I could not believe that this guy supposed to be a member of a culture that presents its males as hyper-masculine. Does not compute.

I also wondered about Priscilla's prince charming kissing her on the cheek a few times. Although we know it was acceptable for the 14 year old girl to be dressed like a Swarovski Crystal Stripper in hot pants, halter and go-go boots, it was absolutely scandalous for that boy to kiss her so brazenly on the cheek in full view of all party-goers! She didn't even PRETEND to try to fight him off, like the girls on the UK show do when they're being grabbed. I'm assuming the only way to preserve her dignity was for a wedding to be held immediately following the Halloween party--they were all already dressed in their party finery, and fully stocked up on Bud Light, so it would have made perfect sense.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Did she say "skrotzee" as in "I love skrotzee crystals"?

Another clasic gypsy moment!

Pat Baby really pinged my gaydar. Since being gay is as verboten as a college degree that leaves a lot of young people in the closet. Is there anything not sad about this heinous "culture"?

Glad to see I wasn't alone thinking that. My gaydar went to 11 with him. I mean, it's one thing to say, "Yeah, those are nice boots, honey," but it's another thing entirely to basically covet them for yourself. Speaking of their heinous "culture," at what point do you say to yourself, "Gee, even FUNERAL HOMES won't give us their business, so maybe it's US and not THEM who have to change?" I mean, Jesus -- they're getting kicked out of funeral homes! Priscilla's beastly mother needed to shut her whine hole that nobody would call them back. There's a reason for that, lady -- you're criminals.

Also, what the fuck was Pat-baby (really? really, "Pat-baby"?!) doing with the asphalt sprayer? Half of that shit went all over the lawn and the concrete. Who the hell hires these people?!

Edited by Major Misfit, May 7, 2012 @ 12:53 PM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Oh Ashley and Amber? Unless you have "half a football field of ruffles" with hot-fix rhinestones from head to toe, you ain't upstaging the queen of the party. And I thought that was kinda mean unless they didn't know it was her find-a-husband party. Maybe all is fair in love and husband hunting.

The really stupid thing is that Ashley and Amber are the ones who said they don't want to get married at 14 because they want to finish school and have part time jobs so they have their own money and are independent. If that's the case, then they were especially tacky to try to outdo Priscilla at the very party where she's trying to find a husband.

I suppose it's probably just teenagers being stupidly competitive about every little thing and needing to think they're hotter than everyone else, but calm down there, girls. If Priscilla's only ambition is to find a dude to marry and her parents are throwing a party for just that purpose and were nice enough to invite you (or any other girls, for that matter) then maybe dial back that obnoxious level of "we're so pretty that we're going to get all the boys' attention as usual." Besides, how could they compete with a big poufy dress AND hot pants?

I noticed that Ashley and Amber's mothers both had S names (Sugar and something else) so it made me wonder if they were friends/relatives who got pregnant around the same time and decided to give their girls matching A names to keep it going.

whatevez

whatevez

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

Pat-Baby was just so beyond anything I've ever seen. And I watch Judge Judy on the regular.

He was embarrassing to watch. I would be humiliated if this person was related to me.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Pat Baby in his Captain Jack Sparrow costume was pretty entertaining. Not too much of a ringer for Johnny Depp.

Anyone else question if these families are actually families? Priscilla looked like Olive Oyl and both parents were short, squat and fat. Their faces were nothing alike, either. I know genetics can be funky but...Well, it isn't like it would be out of the question for a gypsy community to think shuffling things up would protect them, I don't think.

The whole showing of the paving business. Isn't that what gets them in trouble with the law and they showed it? I think there are some angry ass brethren out there over this.

I've been googling and you tubing the phrase 'gypsy scams' and ran across several news stories, clips, 20/20 investigation, etc., which had my blood boiling. It made me question TLC's wisdom in glorifying such a community. Although I want to be careful what I think or conclude because maybe not all are the same. Still - if it's true they feel stealing is their birth right...? Anyway, the paving scam is when they show up on someone's doorstep, offer a bargain deal on paving their driveway, and/or tarring their roof, and then use either black paint or some sticky substance that will wash away with the next rain. And charge a lot of money (considering they give nothing in return) and blow town when the check clears. Since they are nomadic they're hard to trace. And, of course, never used their real names to begin with, when soliciting the work.

I'm guessing the actual paving they were trying to do for the episode was a new thing to them (conjecture only) and that might explain the crappy job they were doing. Maybe since it was a park, the city accepted a lowball bid. Pat's stream of sarcastic comments about how much he just loved to spray tar in the hot sun or whatever, seemed clear he hated to actually work.

I'm having a lot of trouble not resenting what I see in this series. The only nice moment for me is in hoping they really get soaked on those plastic beaded dresses.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Pretty casual about a recent murder of ones sibling, no?

If they have a similar life style to Irish travelers then the majority of the males will not live to 65 with most of the men dying before age 40 due to accidents or violence.

charterdsgn

charterdsgn

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Half of that shit went all over the lawn and the concrete. Who the hell hires these people?!

Old, vulnerable people. I imagine this family has been blackballed from the community after participating in this, especially after allowing them to film that shoddy asphalt job.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

Pat Baby and his dad (who wasn't named Pat, which was another thing that made me wonder if everyone really was a nuclear family) were very blah about their criminal past on camera, also. I wonder if that is really their usual place of residence? If there is such a thing for travelers/gypsies.

I didn't think the graveyard scene was legit, either. I am feeling horribly cynical but I did not see a single tear drop from Pat Baby's eyes. And everything he said about the people could've been deduced from their tombstones. I imagined the gypsy community laughing about all the wool they pulled over the stupid gorger crew's eyes.

charterdsgn

charterdsgn

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

I imagined the gypsy community laughing about all the wool they pulled over the stupid gorger crew's eyes.

This happened on Divorce Court a few years back. A Romanichal Gypsy couple went on and fooled around, and then their daughter started leaving messages in their language that the whole thing was fake, and that they fooled the gorgers.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

Anyone else question if these families are actually families? Priscilla looked like Olive Oyl and both parents were short, squat and fat. Their faces were nothing alike, either. I know genetics can be funky but...Well, it isn't like it would be out of the question for a gypsy community to think shuffling things up would protect them, I don't think.

I think Priscilla has the metabolism of youth, but I predict that she will not retain those abs once she's squeezed out a few kids and her metabolism slows down. I could see her mom being smaller/thinner when she was younger and Pat Baby was many things but obese wasn't one of them. Priscilla isn't the first Olive Oyl I've seen with bigger parents so I think it's just a matter of time before her body changes if she doesn't take care to stay fit.

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

I mean, Jesus -- they're getting kicked out of funeral homes!

This really floored me. I thought, WOW. What must they be doing? I mean it's not like they can put a damage deposit on a funeral home.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Seriously! You know they are out of control when FUNERAL HOMES refuse to let them use their overpriced services. They're probably just getting drunk and rowdy, as per usual. But of course, it's not the gypsies causing damage or disturbing other people. They're being persecuted! People are such bigots!

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

That's totally true about changing metabolisms with age - I'm living testament to that. But Priscilla is so tall too, and their faces are all so different. Something just seems off to me. If that isn't it, must be something else.

This happened on Divorce Court a few years back.

Ah. I didn't know that. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often. It's an easy get and they're experienced 'actors.' ("All you need is sincerity, and if you can fake that...")

I'd be afraid to lease a venue to them or to have them in my place of business due to insurance scams aside from possible theft. I was wondering after this episode and all their talk about being discriminated against about the venues, why don't any of them open their own venue(s) and cater to their own? Same with dress making. Why fly to Boston for a dress fitting (which all paving companies have the money to do, I'm sure.) Why not train some of the girls to sew or glue crystals onto fabric?

What irks me as they cry discrimination too is that they say their kids are not allowed to go to school with, befriend, or date 'gorgers.' Sounds discriminatory to me.

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

The original party venue manager just shot himself in the foot with being caught on camera talking about "Oh, I can't wait to see this!", and talking to Priscilla's mom about renting the joint, then saying the hall was never available.

Nah, I think it would have made his venue look a lot worse locally if it became known as "that place that was on the trashy gypsy show". I think the manager was initially trying to be polite with LouAnn, but then she began revealing why renting to them wasn't a good idea. She babbled that they expected over 200 people at the event, but gypsies never RSVP. She also mentioned that there was an event in town that weekend--I assume a gypsy event--that would attract a few thousand people, so some of them might show up. The manager probably processed all those red flags after the meeting and decided it wasn't a good idea.

Anyway, this show is really messing with my progressive views. I've always maintained that women can dress any way they want, and that dressing in revealing clothes does not mean that a woman is "asking for it". Imagine my confusion when I watch this show and the British version and I can't wrap my head around these young girls dressing and dancing like they do and claiming to be virgins. Anyone else experiencing this?