Safe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Jason Statham.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Typical Statham-level ass kicking, with a cute little girl to make him seem vulnerable. I did like how she short-circuited the climactic fight between Statham and Anson Mount, however.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

I borrowed the DVD from the library. It was okay. I also liked the end bit, though I kind of wish that the "big bad" was in the movie more towards the beginning if only to build a presence. And all of those reveals of Jason's character did not exactly lead to a sense of doom towards the end.

Though not knowing much Mandarin, I have heard enough to tell that the accents of the main Chinese characters were all over the place. I think that the girl is actually mainland Chinese, but the two main guys are American, and both their Chinese speech and their Chinese accents made me chuckle at times. I am guessing that the Russian was pretty bad too, and was that actually Jason Statham speaking Russian?

Speaking of the Russians, they sort of dropped out of the picture after Luke kidnapped the older son. I was expecting some kind of massive last-ditch all out attempt on the dance club/gambling den after Luke and the crooked cops busted in. Then Chinese reinforcements show up to trap both parties in the place and THEN the real police show up. That would have been a climactic fight, though maybe a bit long and chaotic, with Jason Statham more concerned with sneaking out than fighting. Instead the leader of the Russians simply lets Luke get to the safe under the assumption that he would fail.

And what was the point of the Russians really? Other than killing a few Chinese thugs in the beginning, they did not contribute much that the Chinese could not have done. The only real thing that they brought to the plot was the explanation of where the safe was. I think that Jason could have found that out from one of the Chinese thugs. Really, there was a bit too much small underworld afterall feeling about this, with Jason having history with both the Russian mafia and the band of crooked cops AND the mayor's office. It may have made more sense if Jason inadvertently brought both the Russians and the crooked cops into the Chinese girl plot instead of them already being directly involved.