11-32: "Top 6 Results" 2012.04.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

110 replies to this topic

kindasorta

kindasorta

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

TPTB will continue to string him along for a little while longer for ratings, but there is almost no way they are going to invest in this guy long-term. If he is the last WGWG standing, the winning streak will almost certainly be broken this year.

Not sure how TPTB has been stringing him along, since it's Josh that has been pimped to death, to the point of selling him as this smooth ladies's man? The guy is so old fashion in every aspect. There is no way he can compete with any of today's contemporary R&B artists. Then there are the pageant bots Jessica and Hollie who are void of any personality and who have been struggling to connect. Skylar - she isn't that much different than Scotty McCreery or Lauren Alaina. A third Country act for Iovine? I don't see any of these people being huge breakout stars. Possibly Colton, but it sounds like wants to do CCM. By the same token, I don't recall any fans claiming that Phillip will be a huge star either.

People are going to vote for whoever they want. I doubt voters are hanging on very word of the judges who have constantly been under fired this season for their credibility as is. I say, props to anyone who can contradict TPTB.

Edited by kindasorta, Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:13 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I would venture a guess that most of Phil's fans don't know that he's copying Dave Matthews because they have never seen Dave Matthews.

However now he has done it. While a few fans on message boards may have looked up DMB before to see for themselves now that he has done one of Dave Matthews' songs when they search YouTube for a replay it will be right there in their faces under suggested videos. Will it be enough to tip the balance of voting? I was never into the show and don't know the political angles. I will leave that to you regulars

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

However now he has done it. While a few fans on message boards may have looked up DMB before to see for themselves now that he has done one of Dave Matthews' songs when they search YouTube for a replay it will be right there in their faces under suggested videos. Will it be enough to tip the balance of voting? I was never into the show and don't know the political angles. I will leave that to you regulars

I don't buy that this will happen in a significant way where it could effect the voting. Maybe it will, I just don't think so. And ultimately I'm not sure it matters. There are tons of successful artists who are ridiculed by critics and it doesn't matter to the artists fans. If anything it might ban them together. I don't think people like being told who they should like and not like. People see what they want to see.

oscarwilde

oscarwilde

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Good to see some Phil Phil dissection. I cannot stand the man's act/schtick/whatever the hell it is - pastiche? He was, to my mind, doing a blatant Joe Cocker rip-off from day one (much as Casey did last year, in his own way, somehow less offensive as it was so bumbling and good-willed). Maybe it's a hommage, but it still galls.

I did not get the P is so handsome stuff coming out of J-lo until recent weeks, when it is clear to me they cleaned up his face (there must have been some major exfoliation there!) much as they made grubby Crystal all shiny during her ascendancy. (Not comparing the two in any other way.)

I don't know this Dave Mathews guy (I am sure I'd hate him too), but the way the judges have grovelled over P's major "artistry" - and the guest mentors too, are they paid to say that crap? - has really riled me.

Sad to see Elise go, but she was always going to go. The show hated her. I'd love to know why.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Sad to see Elise go, but she was always going to go. The show hated her. I'd love to know why.

The show hated her? The fans hated her. You just have to read through these threads. The girl got the pimp spot multiple times and a lot of praise. The audience cares more about people being humble and grateful and if you for one second don't appear that way you are on borrowed time. This is Jennifer Hudson redux. I thought both were up and down but had great talent but couldn't buy fan support. But if she makes it big in the music world, a lot of people will say years from now that she was robbed.

Edited by angelita100, Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:13 PM.

oscarwilde

oscarwilde

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:54 AM

This is Jennifer Hudson redux.

Exsqueeze me?! Jennifer was hated by, and panned, and slimed by Simon. Boy has he changed his tune about her.

When I say the show hated Elise - it was clear to me that she got criticised (whatever she did or didn't do) by the judges more than any of the other contestants, who could sing off key and shriek their notes if they were judge favourites, for all anyone seemed to care. Ditto, by Jimmie Iovine.

As M. Giant mentioned in his recap, the other contestants didn't seem to like her much - in that little clip package there was no love or affection in their teasing of her.

Ryan was clearly irritated by her, often. That mullet frock she wore, said to me the stylists didn't like her!

And then there's the editing. Ergo, 'the show hated her'. The fans are influenced by all of that, in my opinion.

I found her humble and grateful and infinitely clumsy.

kazou

kazou

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:25 AM

Somebody mentioned upthread that Jessica never has the pimp spot. I can't do the research because I'm at work, but didn't she sing "I Will Always Love You" in the pimp spot? Maybe a few other times, too.

siddalee:
Just adding to this research:

Top 25 girls - 11th out of 12 - Love You I Do
Top 13 - 12/13 - I Will Always Love You
Top 11 - 2/11 - Turn the Beat Around
Top 10 - 9/10 - Everybody Has a Dream
Top 9 - 6/9 - Sweet Dreams
Top 8 - 7/12 - How Will I Know
Top 7 - 4/10 - Stuttering
Top 7 Redux - 5/14 - Fallin' and Try a Little Tenderness
Top 6 - 1/12 - Bohemian Rhapsody and Dance with My Father

Logic and previous patterns would tell you she will get it this week - but then again, Scotty never got it. And I'm pretty sure he is the only Top 5 contestant who never had it although that would require way too much research to confirm. Certainly he's the only winner who never had it.

I think I started this -- I misspoke:

Jessica was demoted to show-opener instead of closer, P2 got some (gasp) criticism, and the judges' tongue-bath of Joshua was more over-the-top than ever.

The point I meant to make was that Jessica was always in the second half of the show (I believe those in the top half or who open the show are at a disadvantage in a two hour show). However, even then I misspoke since I forgot about about her #4 turn during the Top 7 initial show when she ended up with the lowest vote total. (Although come to think of it, that may be why the judges, for the most part, kept her in the 2nd half more often than not.) I deliberately did not include "Turn the Beat Around" because that was back before the top 10 (she sang 2/11). My point was merely that for most of the season Jessica was rarely in the front half of the show then suddenly she's show opener the same week the judges and Jimmy appear to crown Joshua as the one to beat. It was interesting timing to me.

BTW, was she the top vote getter this week, or was she simply in the top three? I thought Ryan simply said one was top three and the other was bottom three then announced her safe.

Also, did anyone figure out why the AI judges were all dressed in black this show?

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:12 AM

Regardless of lineup, I think Jessica got the biggest one up on everyone last week when it was announced her father, one of the troops was going to be there for the first time...on results night.
Then she just happens to sing a song dedicated to her father. No way was she going to be in the bottom 3 with that set up.

politicoblue

politicoblue

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

"Whenever they were unsure, I could always see their eyes shifting over to me, looking at me like ‘is this right? What should I do?’ Sometimes they didn’t even have to ask."

This is from an interview Elise did after her exit. Even though she did not mention names, I can see Jessica as someone who is always looking for other's approval.

I always found Elise to be very intelligent. Anyway with her and Colton gone, my votes will now only be going to Phillilp.

madam magpie

madam magpie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

This is from an interview Elise did after her exit. Even though she did not mention names, I can see Jessica as someone who is always looking for other's approval.

Don't know about Jessica, but I think Hollie for sure. There's a really charming interview with Hollie and Elise after last Wednesday's show where they're both asked about being slammed more by the judges than other contestants and they talk about how that affected them, made them feel, etc. Elise is pretty blunt in that interview, not rude, but she'd clearly reached the point of not trying to change herself to please people. Hollie was still trying to get there, and it was interesting to see Hollie look to Elise for guidance or approval in answering some of the questions and to see how Elise encouraged Hollie to be herself. She also gave Hollie her full attention when the girl was talking. People appreciate that and will return to it for advice. That interview and then the ones she's done since have made me like Elise even more than I did already and feel pretty confident in my assumption that she's been on to the bullshit for some time. I think my favorite thing she's said is something to the effect of, "Yeah, they do seem to just want you to stand there and smile, but I have a mind. I have opinions. I'm not going to be afraid to talk." Right on.

It does seem like the show hated her, doesn't it? I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that she can't be molded at this point. She's too experienced to just fall into line, and she knows too much about music to discount her own ideas and what she's learned over the years for the sake of fitting into the Idol machine. Elise is also clearly not good at sucking up, so reality TV wasn't ever really going to be a total win for her.

It is very strange to me, though, because why pick her at all? Variety, I guess, but it's kind of nasty: Pick someone out of the norm and then try to get her to crack? Nasty, but not surprising.

As for the public hating her, maybe the Internet public, which is incredibly vicious. But I don't actually know anyone personally who disliked her. Her style wasn't always the favorite, but she was in most people's top four and her "attitude" and personality weren't a concern for anyone I've actually spoken to. She also made it to sixth place out of thousands (and she would've been fifth if not for that save). That's not too shabby. Clearly a lot of people really liked her and she connected pretty well, or she'd have been gone weeks ago. Plus, the rockers almost never make it to the end on this show. I'm not sure why Elise is being singled out for that. In any case, I'm not concerned about her in the least. She's going to do lots of cool things; I look forward to seeing what they are and am really glad to have been introduced to her.

Edited by madam magpie, Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:09 PM.

DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

I think Elise did quite well, considering that she practically had reserved seating in the bottom three for a big chunk of the season. She actually reminds me a lot of Haley from last season in the sense that both of their personalities appeared to prevent America from getting behind enough pose up a serious threat to win it all. But Elise did end up getting quite a lot of face time on TV which will hopefully help her career along.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

• Interests:Book-devouring, SiFi-geeking, Anime-Watching, Hockey-Loving transplanted NY gal now living in Northern VA.

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:10 AM

She needs ot learn some things but as Carried proved you can learn it after America Idol ~ angelita100

Carrie? Underwood? While she has a pleasant enough pop-countrified voice I still find her lacking in any real emotion when she sings. For me she is still very much an automaton when she sings; wind her up and watch her go on stage and perform. I don’t believe her when she sings; she lacks the dept and intensity that Loretta Lynne, Dolly Parton, or Reba have in their voice/soul that makes me believe the heartache, desire, hope that those ladies sing about.

Same for Jessica. Decent enough voice in that pop diva way though no where as unique as the judges would have us believe. Though to be fair, we’ve never heard Jessica as every performance she gives she apes the original artist. I would love to hear her sing an original song, one that she has to interpret on her own; that would be a real test of her talent.

I think Jessica will have the pimp spot next week ~~ jacklordjapan

Didn’t she just have it? Didn’t she open Queen week? Do you not consider opening the show a pimp spot because once upon a time it was. People tend to remember the opening and closing acts of the show (various studies have proven this) so with that definition in mind, Jessica did indeed receive a pimp spot (not that she needs it because we’re told every week that she’s the second best (to Joshua) and we as the voting audience would be stupid to vote her off).

xr11576

xr11576

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Didn’t she just have it? Didn’t she open Queen week? Do you not consider opening the show a pimp spot because once upon a time it was. People tend to remember the opening and closing acts of the show (various studies have proven this) so with that definition in mind, Jessica did indeed receive a pimp spot (not that she needs it because we’re told every week that she’s the second best (to Joshua) and we as the voting audience would be stupid to vote her off).

There was actually a study in USA Today (have to search for it) that showed opening the show doubled your statistical chances of going home (this was based on an analysis of every boot in the show's history). That's why the first slot is called the 'death slot'.

On the other hand, the study also found only 4 or 5 contestants had ever been booted closing the show, hence the 'pimp slot'.

Statistically, later in the show you go, the more people will remember your performance and vote for you.

Found the study:

First may be the worst for American Idol singers.

The leadoff performer on an Idol finals night stands a disproportionately greater chance of being eliminated than those who follow, according to an analysis of Idol's seven seasons.

In 69 finals episodes, 20 singers in the No. 1 spot have been voted off, seven more than would be expected based on statistical probability, says Nick Straguzzi, co-founder of WhatNotToSing.com, which collects and analyzes Idol data. In four out of six weeks this season, the first finalist has been in the bottom three, twice being eliminated. "The No. 1 slot is by far the most dangerous for finalists," Straguzzi says

http://www.usatoday....m?se=yahoorefer

It cites many variables, but this is likely the most crucial

•Fewer viewers at the start. Idol's ratings grow throughout each show, with more viewers — and potential voters — watching singers at the end than at the beginning. On April 8, Idol went from 22.8 million viewers in the first half-hour to 26.4 million in the second, a 16% increase.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

Yes Carrie Underwood. She's not Loretta Lynn but then she doesn't have to be. She's still 1000X better than she was on Idol. I didn't like her on Idol and I'm not a country fan but I've grown to respect her a great deal, whether she is put with the greatest ever to sing country or not. That's a lot to ask.

Exsqueeze me?! Jennifer was hated by, and panned, and slimed by Simon. Boy has he changed his tune about her.

Maybe I should have put a paragraph break in my note. Wasn't talking about the judges but the audience reaction to them. I hate Simon. I don't remember a thing he said. Glad he's gone.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:55 AM

This "pimp slot" discussion is off topic for the episode thread. You can take it to the Season 11 thread. Your predictions for who will/should win or lose in coming weeks should go in the Speculation thread.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, May 1, 2012 @ 5:56 AM.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

When I say that Phil Phillips is more interesting to me, I mean his performace and song styling ,moreso than the songs themselves. I don't mind that his songs are much the same because they are a part of who he is and I appreciate his uniqueness. So his song choices work for me and I don't need to see him change it up every week.

Having said that, when I say that Joshua is a one trick pony, I am also not referring to a ballad vs a up tempo song. More the way he interprets and styles his songs. I know where he will sing soft and where he will begin the big build up. I know where he will hit the high note. I know where he will push the vocals. I doesn't matter too much which song he sings. He follows a pattern that is just uninteresting to me.

I totally get that personal preference will inevitably play a huge role, but I think it's important to call a spade a spade here: Joshua is not a one trick pony any more than Phillip is. And that Phil's performances are "much the same because they are a part of who he is" is praise that should be afforded equally, as Joshua is just as much, if not more, in tune with who he is as a performer.

That was what I was afraid [WGWG] meant. Shame.

If this was, say, a purely merit-based show like Survivor and viewers attempted to retract a player's worthiness of victory based on the show's repetitive history of winners based on race or methods, then I would understand the "shame": if a white male wins Survivor every year, that is because they had likely played the best game of Outwit, Outplay, Outlast, and deserved it.

However, American Idol is through and through a popularity contest, and I find no shame in pointing out that America's voting patterns are homogenous and disturbing. Certain types of music and certian types of people have proven to do better in the last 7 years of this show than others, and it is not consistently based on talent. For me, that is a problem.

White male "artist-types" have reached F2 every season since S4. Only two of them have not been victorious, and one of them lost to white female country singer. Four of the victories were in the last four years.

But for a fun, upbeat, more youthful song, wouldn't "Somebody to Love" have been better for her? Remembering from my own youth, I was dreaming about boys and love

Everybody interprets lyrics differently, but I find nothing fun or young about "Somebody to Love". It sounds very much to me like somebody who is getting old, hasn't found any luck with love, and is growing weary and losing faith. I think BoRap was a good choice for Jessica because it comes across a bit sporadic and fictional: the opening ballad is depressing on the surface, but also sounds very fantastical. Meanwhile, the rock and roll bits Jessica sang have the right grit for her voice.

Skylar - she isn't that much different than Scotty McCreery or Lauren Alaina.

For me, Alaina never showed nearly as much charisma, confidence or stage presence that Skylar has. And McCreery didn't show an ounce of being able to interpret a song differently, stretch himself as a performer, or hit the notes that Skylar has. Which is why it's a shame that Skylar came after them, because the All Country, All the Time season has soured me on a Skylar victory.

Edited by Oholibamah, May 1, 2012 @ 9:17 PM.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I don't feel the sweet vibe from Jessica. I see spoiled/entitled.

That's completely opposite from what I see. When she sang (in the space alien pool in Vegas), she mentioned something about doing the show to provide her family financially. Then they showed her family, which seemed to have a million people in it, and I thought -- wow, that's a lot of people to provide for. A lot of responsibility on very young shoulders.

To me, she's the Michelle Kwan of the competition. Kwan is one of the best figureskaters ever in the U.S. Her family owned a restaurant, which is a hard way to make a living, one that often involves the whole family pitching in. Figureskating is even worse, so doing both must have taken every ounce of energy in the family -- all so that Michelle had a chance to do something she loved for as long as her body would let her. I loved to watch her, but there was always a bit of terror when she performed, like she put so much on herself to win so that she could prove that her parent's sacrifice was worth it.

That's what I see with Jessica. Every time she's onstage, there's this pressure to be the best, because if she isn't, she's letting down a lot of people. It's sounding less and less like she can win this competition, but hopefully someone will sign her to a recording contract. And I hope to heaven they give her enough security that she can relax and begin to develop her talent freely.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Montavilla- I just love your analogy about Jessica and Michelle Kwan, who I really love too. Also, a word I've used to describe Jessica I would use for Michelle too- serious. They do seem alike to me too in their massive talent, dedication, and hard work they have put into their talent from a young age. That's a wonderful post you made.

StillTheSame

StillTheSame

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

That's completely opposite from what I see. When she sang (in the space alien pool in Vegas), she mentioned something about doing the show to provide her family financially. Then they showed her family, which seemed to have a million people in it, and I thought -- wow, that's a lot of people to provide for. A lot of responsibility on very young shoulders.

She may provide for her family, but she also has to spend a fortune on clothes. She has very expensive taste in shoes.

The shoes Jessica was wearing that Ryan commented on,saying JLo was wearing the same pair, were Christian Louboutin's Asteroid Spike-Toe Pump retailing for $1,595.00. I personally think she is way too young to be wearing those type of shoes. A 16 year old spends the same amount of money that super star JLo spends on shoes. WTH?

She looses any appeal she could cash in on wearing that garb. She should dress like a normal teenager. What happened Jimmy? So much for advise.

ETA:
Sorry for the late response,

I know the younger audience has probably never seen or heard of Joe Cocker.

They have if they're old enough to have seen the S9 finale. He performed with Lee and Crystal.

I didn't watch S9, but if Joe cocker aged and performed in any way like Meatloaf did in his AI debut,then they still would not have see the Joe Cocker I remember.
The returning aged stars are for the most part train wrecks. Scary and sad at the same time. I can't imagine being a teenager and watching these guys perform. Ewww.

Edited by StillTheSame, May 2, 2012 @ 2:30 PM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

She may provide for her family, but she also has to spend a fortune on clothes. She has very expensive taste in shoes.

The shoes Jessica was wearing that Ryan commented on,saying JLo was wearing the same pair, were Christian Louboutin's Asteroid Spike-Toe Pump retailing for $1,595.00. I personally think she is way too young to be wearing those type of shoes. A 16 year old spends the same amount of money that super star JLo spends on shoes. WTH?

She looses any appeal she could cash in on wearing that garb. She should dress like a normal teenager. What happened Jimmy? So much for advise.

I don't think Jessica paid for those shoes. The show provides wardrobe for the contestants. So that seems like an unfair criticism. However, you may have a point with her not connecting to people her own age enough but I think most teenage girls in her position would love to play with a wardrobe like that.

Edited by MV007, May 2, 2012 @ 2:55 PM.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

I don't think Jessica paid for those shoes. The show provides wardrobe for the contestants. So that seems like an unfair criticism. However, you may have a point with her not connecting to people her own age enough but I think most teenage girls in her position would love to play with a wardrobe like that.

During Season 8, there was a BTS article in which the reporter mentioned that the contestants had a $400 costume budget that they could supplement with their own pieces/money if they chose. At that time the contestants had control over their look, in consultation with the stylists.

I suspect that that changed a bit in Season 10. For one thing, we had the infamous "Gwen Stefani Plugs Her Clothing Line" night when Pia was forced to wear that zebra onsie. Haley Reinhart also mentioned that her "I (Who Have Nothing)" dress was changed at the last minute by the stylists, and her shoes were changed on the day of Top 3 to a pair with high stiletto heels. She said the dress worked better (because she could breathe), but it doesn't sound like it was her decision at all. She ended up slipping on the stilettos and falling on her butt onstage.

This year we have Tommy Hilfiger acting as the "style consultant" and plugging his line. There may be other, less obvious product placement going on. It's not unusual for designers to donate items in return for the exposure on national TV. It's standard practice for award shows. Maybe designers have noticed those big itunes bumps for the songs that are covered on the show and have started reaching for their piece of the American Idol pie.

Edited by Montavilla, May 2, 2012 @ 4:10 PM.