The Avengers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

735 replies to this topic

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Some people complain about the hood he uses and think he looks better without it.

It didn't bother me. I like how the whole thing looked less bulky.

Edited by Batman Beatles, May 8, 2012 @ 5:16 PM.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

Careful what you wish for. You might get a Justice League movie starring Tom Welling, Adrienne Palicki, Ryan Reynolds, John Wesley Shipp

AAAHHHHH!!!! The Bizarro universe version of JL.

and Adam West as Batman.

I resent this one Adam West was a terrific Batman, at the the time that was the Batman people knew and sort of liked, is dated and campy but I don't think it deserves a place with the other ones you mentioned, since they were modern representations and just plain full of suck,YMMV.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

Adam West is eighty, though, so a movie with him as Barman...might be problematic.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

I like how the whole thing looked less bulky.

I agree. I thought the bulky, rugged look worked well for the WWII setting of Cap's movie, but the new, more streamlined uniform (even with the hood, which I'm on the fence about) looked better, and fit with the modern setting more than the other uniform would've.

ETA: Surprise, surprise. The studio has already announced there will be an "Avengers" sequel.

Edited by TheSporkWielder, May 8, 2012 @ 7:09 PM.

loosy

loosy

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

How did the scene with the German crowd play in Germany? I wondered about that, and if the adoption advocates were going to cause a stink about the 'He's adopted' line.

On a message board certain people were wondering why the Germans didn't raise a stink about Cap saving a German man and curse America.

It played well enough, i think. Everytime i saw it, the crowd was wispering when they mentioned Stuttgart, but that was about it. And we are used to the Hollywood-nazi-stereotypes, so this was rather refreshing. I think i mentioned upthread,that this scene struck me as a vehicle to allow the captain to come full circle, i am sure others read it the same way. And that is not a far-out interpretation of history, we are raised with the image of GI´s coming as an occupying - if liberating - force and turning into protectors. Well, it´s part of West-Germany´s folklore, anyway. But Berlin in particular has not forgotten the airlift. So the image of the Captain suddenly materializing to protect one of us - someone, who stood up to tyranny no less - would not raise too many eyebrows, i imagine, silly costume or not.

But movie-critics had another interpretation of that scene, one that echoes far more recent events. Last year they started tearing down Stuttagart´s old main station to make way for a new, bigger one, which in large parts will be subterrestrial. That raised a lot of protest in the city and the state (unnecessary, to damned expensive, no transparency in the planning, environmental as well as conservatory issues, ...the works), to which both the local government and Deutsche Bahn basically responded with a "Pffft, lets move on". Of course, that fueled the protests to a level that we had never seen for that region. You know, the Ländle is not prone to demonstrations or riots, they are very well behaved, very ..settled, for a lack of a better word. But here they were, pensioneers, entire families, students, squatting and camping for months outside that station. Police overreacted, which further fueled the fire. In the end that issue toppled the state government, they have a green prime minister now. Anyway, they coined a phrase for those seemingly suddenly appearing people, who refuse to just accept everything that´s happening in their communities just because authorities claim it´s necessary, they called them Wutbürger. That translates roughly to angered citizens, and it was elected phrase of the year. Long story short, the image of the old man standing up to an assumed authority, saying basically: "i won´t bend my knees facing your power, we have seen your kind come and go", was seen as a call-back to the Wutbürger. I´d say, it´s too recent and too local for that, but then again, an angered citizenry taking to streets is hardly a german phenomenon.

I hope this explanation is not too off-topic? I just tried to explain the german interpretations of that scene...

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

I loved it. I thought it was such a great ansumble of some really great superhero's. Ironically I loved Tony/Ironman more in this movie, then any of his standalones. RDJ really works well with an ansumble and I Tony's ego was more in check around Bruce and Captin America.

I loved Capt America/CE he was such a noble, determined, competent and awesome leader who truely cared for the cause and his teamates.

Thor/CH is so awesome and I was surprised at the depth he brought to Thor's struggle and his love for his fallin brother. He played that conflict so well. I loved him working with the others and saving capt.

Hulk/Thor fight and as well as all of Blak Widow fights where made of awesome.

Color me impressed by SJH she really rocked as Black Widow and while she was tough and kicked ass, she was so well written and his compassion for Bruce and saving people and Hawkeye fleshed her character out more then I anticapted.

Loki is awesome. That is how you make a villian, impossing, badass and damn scary.

Great film, I would see it again.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

I saw this in the theater again today (first time was the midnight screening in 3D). This time, I went with budgetary constraints and saw 2D. I enjoyed both versions (I was probably more awake for today's viewing).

For some random reason, the first trailer at the first showing I saw was for The Beatles' "Yellow Submarine." Not sure what was up with that?

I know it was shown in the trailers/teasers, but that shot of all the Avengers assembled before Cap gives them all their instructions still gave me chills. And Banner's "I'm always angry" played very well on repeat. Mark Ruffalo gives good Hulk.

My favorite was actually Hawkeye. I'm not sure if it's more my fangirliness over Jeremy Renner, the fact that he's a great actor, or that he just works hard and is bad ass without any special major alterations to himself (I'm not counting specialized bow and arrow as much as the gamma radiation, full Iron suit, demi-god-liness, special injected serum, etc.). And Black Widow was infinitely improved over the second Iron Man incarnation (which I didn't enjoy the actual movie for - probably ranks as my least-favorite Marvel adaptation in this current series - while Iron Man, original, is top 2). The second viewing of her interrogations (both with the Russian and Loki) showed some serious skills.

I still want to take Loki home with me and tell him it'll all be okay. I mean, he had some scary moments (the eyeball scene and killing Coulson spring to mind), but, especially in his scenes with Thor, he just looked so little and lost.

Upon rewatching, the scene where all of the Avengers (sans Hawkeye) are getting more and more pissed at each other and Banner picks up the scepter was just really well done and had a lot more impact on the second watching, since I knew what it was going to lead up to.

RDJ/Iron Man usually gets credited with most of the funny lines, but really Thor, Cap, and Hulk all had some VERY good ones - if not in quantity, in quality. I agree with the above poster who can't wait for the DVD release already. I'm very happy the movie has been as successful as it has been. Also, ready for a Hawkeye movie (maybe involving Budapest?).

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

The second viewing of her interrogations (both with the Russian and Loki) showed some serious skills.

I was much more impressed with Black Widow in these scenes. I'm over seeing tiny women physically kick ass on screen.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

My favorite Black Widow line is probably "Regimes fall all the time. I tend not to weep over that. I'm Russian. Or was." Liked Scarjo's delivery of that.:

Upon rewatching, the scene where all of the Avengers (sans Hawkeye) are getting more and more pissed at each other and Banner picks up the scepter was just really well done and had a lot more impact on the second watching, since I knew what it was going to lead up to.

I liked the camera circling around everybody and over the scepter and upside down. Really well done by Joss. BADASS DIGEST has a very good theory on why there seemed be two different Hulks in the movie:

The disconnect for people seems to be in that Bruce Banner Hulks out twice in the film with very different outcomes. The first time he turns into 'The Other Guy' it's on the SHIELD Helicarrier, and he's a rampaging monster who is trying to kill his own teammates. The second time he changes he's in New York City fighting the Chitauri and he's so in control that he even takes commands from Captain America. The film never has anyone really stand up and explain the difference, but it's all there in the movie.

The key is to understand that the circumstances of the two changes are drastically different. The first time Banner - and the rest of the Avengers - has been brought to the boiling point by Loki's staff. Everybody is ready to fight and tempers are short. When an explosion demolishes the lab and sends Banner and Black Widow tumbling into the lower decks, our heroic scientist is already at the end of his rope. Banner, who has been mysteriously holding it together for over a year, has lost control due to magic and injury. That means the Hulk that emerges is an uncontrolled force, a blindly smashing beast that is lashing out at any and everything. It's the version of the Hulk we've already seen - a rage monster.

But the circumstances of the second Hulk out are totally different. Banner, fully in control, explains his secret method of dealing with the Hulk - he's always angry. Film Crit Hulk talked about this in his excellent New Yorker piece today, where he said:

FOR YEARS, BANNER BATTLED HIS OWN MIND AND MERELY TURNED OUT THAT FEAR OF HIS OWN ANGER WAS A TRAP. REALLY, HE HAD TO UNDERSTAND IT. TO RECOGNIZE IT AND ACCEPT IT. AND THAT’S PRECISELY WHAT BROUGHT GENUINE CONTROL.

This is the key. Banner is no longer trying to repress his rage. He accepts it and uses it, channels it. That means when he needs it - like when the Chitauri are demolishing New York City - it's there for him to direct in the right way. Anger doesn't have to be formless and without target. It can be used wisely, even constructively. It's what powers social revolutions and what leads people to fight injustice. Anger, Johnny Rotten once said, is an energy.

But it can be a dangerous energy, one that is easy to misuse and which can become uncontrollable. That's what happened in the first Hulk out.

So it's simple, and it's all in the movie. And it's a great direction for the cinematic Hulk.

I like that this makes for a new heroic Hulk for a possible movie with Ruffalo.

Edited by Limbonaut, May 8, 2012 @ 10:55 PM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

I think Natasha may have actually been the most competent member of the Avengers, though of course Stark and Banner were the big-brained scientists. On a team that includes Captain America, that's not a small thing.

Some people complain about the hood he uses and think he looks better without it.

I'm one of them, though I do agree that from the neck down the new suit looked really good.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

Saw this on Monday and I loved it. I've wanted to see an Avengers movie since I was a little kid. Whedon did a great job of juggling all the characters and giving them all their time in the sun, and I loved all the funny lines, especially Tony Stark's: "Doth mother know thou wearest her drapes?" Classic.

Loki made a nice, manipulative villain - I particularly liked the scene where the Avengers were all getting needled and angry with each other due to the influence of Loki's sceptre being left in the room with them.

Black Widow was a lot more interesting than in Iron Man 2, where she just seemed like a spare part. I loved her playing Loki when he thought he was getting under her skin. I would have rather have seen the Wasp in the movie than her, admittedly, as she was actually a founding Avenger who I think often doesn't get her due (Hank too, although he's kind of a douche, so I didn't miss him too much), but I can see why they didn't want to introduce a character the movie audiences hadn't seen already.

It would be cool I think to see a Black Widow-Hawkeye-Mockingbird spy action movie sometime, as Johansson and Renner were good together.

The fight scenes (bar the Black Widow's badly choreographed opening fight) were well done, and as most people have said already, Hulk flinging Loki around like a rag doll and sucker punching Thor were hilarious!

It was great finally seeing stuff like the SHIELD Helicarrier on screen. Kind of a shame they've gone down the Avengers Tower/A.I. Jarvis route rather than Avengers Mansion/English butler Jarvis, just for nostalgia's sake, but I guess those would seem cheesy to some.

Must have missed it due to the idiot parents who brought their babies to the movie. Why do people do that meaning bring babies or two year olds to movies? They tend to leave after the rest of the theaters sends mental images of "you will die for this!" but still why spend money to do this?

Word. Same thing happened at the screening I went to. If they're not old enough to sit there and be quiet and watch the movie, they shouldn't be there. I don't know why parents like them think it's okay to ruin other people's enjoyment?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:29 AM

There are plenty of adults who don't appear to be able to sit there and be quiet either.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

One time I saw the movie and the part where the Hulk smashes Loki and a few parts toward the end, a woman in the back of the theater got very vocal. Cheering him on and talking loudly back to the screen. Normally I would be very annoyed and thinking "You're perpetuating a stereotype!!" but that time it did make those parts funnier.

For me the secret to a good superhero movie is do I want walk out of the theater wanting for a while to be that superhero? Like after the first Iron Man movie I wanted be Iron Man, or more precisely Tony Stark. Daredevil didn't want to make me want to fantasize about being Daredevil. Yeah I want to be superhero who's not only blind, but gets injured so much every night he has to lie in a bathtub full of ice and take painkillers all the time! After seeing The Avengers I want to be most of them,(heck even the Black Widow if I was a woman).

Edited by Limbonaut, May 9, 2012 @ 8:46 AM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

I don't know why parents like them think it's okay to ruin other people's enjoyment?

Probably because they want to see the movie and can't get a sitter.

I liked that they actually had them all go to the restaurant at the end but I sort of wish they weren't just sitting there in stony silence.

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

They should have thought of that before they started having babies. I kid...but not really.

Saw this on Monday and I loved it. I've wanted to see an Avengers movie since I was a little kid. Whedon did a great job of juggling all the characters and giving them all their time in the sun, and I loved all the funny lines, especially Tony Stark's: "Doth mother know thou wearest her drapes?" Classic.

I may have to give the Buffy series a try because if Whedon is responsible for the great snark The Avengers had and the strong well written female characters of Black Widow and Maria Hill I may enjoy it.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

I liked that they actually had them all go to the restaurant at the end but I sort of wish they weren't just sitting there in stony silence

I wouldn't describe it as "stony silence". More like "we just saved the entire free world, and MAN are we hungry, but what we could really use is a nice long collective nap" silence.

IzzyBoy

IzzyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. There were a few very small nits I had to pick, mainly how easy it was for Loki's mind control to be broken (just konk them in the head) and how easily Thor got back to Earth. The second one is probably admittedly because I've always been a huge Thor fan and in his movie they made such a big deal about how with Rainbow Bridge broken he was sacrificing any chance he had to get back to Earth. But I can easily live with that given how much I enjoyed the movie. And the Thanos teaser at the end gave me big time nerdgasm!

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

I liked that they actually had them all go to the restaurant at the end but I sort of wish they weren't just sitting there in stony silence.

I didn't read it as stony silence, but the events of the day catching up with them. They all looked absolutely beaten down and exhausted, which is exactly how they would be after the adrenaline wore off. I was expecting some dialogue, but their silence made sense.

Am I the only person in the world that had never heard of shawarma before the movie? I had to google it.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

I had a feeling Captain America didn't like the food or he was too tired to eat.

Starving Artist

Starving Artist

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Yeah, I found the silence hilarious - even better than talking. I was giggling through the entire thing. They looked SO tired, and then to see them half-heartedly eating giant chunks of the sandwich as Cap appears to be falling asleep at the table? Comedy gold.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

Except for Thor, he was going to town on that sandwich. Although he was probably too tired to throw his cup on the floor.

IzzyBoy

IzzyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Except for Thor, he was going to town on that sandwich. Although he was probably too tired to throw his cup on the floor.

I was just about to say the same thing (I was even going to use the phrase "going to town"), Thor wasn't messing around with that sandwich at all!

I thought the final scene was funny. It was oddly reminiscent of the scene in Return of the King when the 4 hobbits first get back to the Shire and they are all at the table with their drinks and exchange looks at each other without saying anything and then clink glasses together. Both scenes had a "can you believe the crap we just went through..." feel to them...

Edited by IzzyBoy, May 9, 2012 @ 11:13 AM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

Am I the only person in the world that had never heard of shawarma before the movie?

I suspect a good portion of the US had never heard of it before. Middle Eastern food is not well known in the US outside of a few well established Middle Eastern communities. People in the UK would have heard of it since a lot of fast food places serve it with the donor kebab variety being the one most often served.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma

and how easily Thor got back to Earth.

It was said to not be easy because Odin had to use a lot of his magic hence why the tesseract had to be used for Thor and Loki to get back.

(just konk them in the head)

Said konks look they would have brain damaged or killed in most cases. So not easy.

IzzyBoy

IzzyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

It was said to not be easy because Odin had to use a lot of his magic hence why the tesseract had to be used for Thor and Loki to get back.

I guess, "easy" was probably the wrong word, but it just seemed convenient. I mean, they never once mentioned this as a possibility anywhere in the Thor movie and such a big part of Thor breaking the Rainbow Bridge at the end of that movie was him sacrificing a chance to reunite with Jane. And then at the end of that movie them showing that Jane was working on a way to try to bring Thor back to Earth. I just figured that would somehow tie into how Thor eventually got back to Earth. I know there's reasons why Portman wasn't able to film and its possible they had something written out and had to change ideas at the last minute so its not like I'm saying it ruined the movie for me, I was just hoping for something more.

Said konks look they would have brain damaged or killed in most cases. So not easy.

Again, i guess I would have to say it was more a convenient way out than anything. It seems to be an often used remedy in sci-fi/fantasy when mind control is involved that all you have to do is knock them out and when they wake up they'll be better. I was just hoping for something more involved...maybe something that SHIELD or one of the Avengers came up with. In the Avengers alone you have two geniuses, have one of them brainstorm a remedy! :)

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

And then at the end of that movie them showing that Jane was working on a way to try to bring Thor back to Earth.

Well maybe in a Thor or Avengers sequel she'll have managed it. No matter how hard it is to bring Thor back to Earth if Loki is down there causing trouble it's kind of an emergency.

IzzyBoy

IzzyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Well maybe in a Thor or Avengers sequel she'll have managed it. No matter how hard it is to bring Thor back to Earth if Loki is down there causing trouble it's kind of an emergency.

I've heard that there's 30 minutes of extras/deleted scenes that will be included in the DVD so its possible it may be explained further there too. I competely understand that there's reasons they needed to get Thor to Earth and get the story moving so its a very trivial point I'm making, but one I noticed nonetheless.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

I often think parents overstimate their kids ability to sit for long periods of times and think they will enjoy the experience of going to a fun movie. Many kids do actually stay quiet but if this was their first time then sometimes is not what the planned and some kids do actually watch movies and stay quiet and them for some reason other movies don't have the same quieting effect. I particularly don't mind but then I used to work with little children so for me is just background music, YMMV.

I didn't read it as stony silence, but the events of the day catching up with them. They all looked absolutely beaten down and exhausted, which is exactly how they would be after the adrenaline wore off. I was expecting some dialogue, but their silence made sense.

I also though that it drove the point that this people have nothing in common or to talk about the only friends were probably in couples Black Widow and Hawkeye, Banner and Stark, and maybe Cap and Thor. But as a group the only thing they have in common is that they saved Earth. Which makes their dynamic more complex, in the sequels if they have tension about how to go about a big thread it will be more believable.
I always liked that about group superheroes (X-men, JL) that their loyalty to the cause was more important than personal likings and dislikings.

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

Except for Thor, he was going to town on that sandwich.

Chris H said he ate one of those everytime they filmed the scene and it took four or five takes. He said he didn't feel so good when they were done. I loved that the schwarma scene was filmed just a day or so before the premiere. I appreciate the extra bit of fun for those who stayed to the very end.

The other tidbit I read was that they had to put a wig on Chris E since he has a buzz cut and a prosthetic on his face because of his beard. That's why he's leaning on his hand in the shot. Apparently, the prothetic looked ridiculous and he couldn't talk well in it. Renner was really busting on him for that.

One of the few movies I've left where I wish I could buy the DVD in the lobby.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I had a feeling Captain America didn't like the food or he was too tired to eat.

Apparently, that's because Chris Evans needed to keep the beard he has right now for the movie he's shooting, so they put a fake "bottom half" of a face on him. It looked weird I guess, so that's why he has his head down for the scene.

And Chris Hemsworth said he had to eat an entire pita every take, so he felt sick by the end of it. But it was all worth it, because that scene cracked me up.

ETA- or, what Calliope said while I was composing my thoughts.

Edited by bparhad, May 9, 2012 @ 1:38 PM.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

One of the few movies I've left where I wish I could buy the DVD in the lobby.

Right? I cannot wait for the DVD, commentary, deleted scenes. I want them all! Right now!