The quibbles? Few.
1. OHMIGAWD! They killed Coulson!! You bastards!!!!
2. Could the Chitauri be any more generic? It was like watching the Sycorax, but at least they had the blood voodoo thing going. The Chitauri seem like the type that the Doctor could dispatch inside of 30 minutes.
3. Seriously . . . Coulson. Dead. What the hell?!?
4. No, really, Marvel worked Coulson into their comic book universe and
put him in a prominent role in Ultimate Spider-Man
on Disney XD, and they killed him off?!? Couldn't it have been a Life Model Decoy instead?
5. At no point does Nick Fury yell, "WE HAVE GOT TO GET THESE MOTHERFUCKIN' ALIENS OFF THIS MOTHERFUCKIN' HELLICARRIER!!!!"
Other than that? Friggin' golden. Fury could have turned to the audience and begged them to clap to bring Coulson back, and it still would've been golden. The Avengers
does the nigh-impossible: streamline several movies into one uber-franchise. DC Comics can never keep up; aside from their present Batman franchise, which is winding down, none of their movies have been as aces as these. The after-credits sequence could've been RDJ teabagging Ryan Reynolds to show that point.
Hard to pick an MVP. I think Mark Ruffalo might be the
Hulk for this generation. Hulk
got wrongly slammed for going its own way, while The Incredible Hulk
was a paint-by-numbers affair. Here, we see how Bruce Banner can be the smartest guy in the room, even when Tony Stark is present. Also, the ass-whumpin' on Loki and the sucker-punch upon Thor seem inspired by Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
, the animated series that showed that Hulk can
be an Avenger. Oh, and Banner transforms before the climatic battle without getting into a Bixby-like rage-spasm. Badass.
Seriously, I can't be coherrent, especially since I need to get to sleep. For those who haven't seen it? First of all, why are you reading a thread with spoilers? Secondly, if you go, be warned: there are more money shots in this film than a month's worth of porn.
PS: What do you need to know about Thanos? He loves death like a fat kid loves cake. That's about it.
ETA: Seriously, if you got Disney XD, check out AEMH. It's kinda like this movie, and
they got Black Panther, Wasp and other classic characters. And they had Luke Cage & Iron Fist popping up last week!
Edited by Lantern7, May 5, 2012 @ 2:05 AM.