The Avengers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

735 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Already out in some places!

quazimodo

quazimodo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Watched it today and I loved it. Joss did a great job. I thought every member of the team got a chance to shine both before the main battle and during. The cast all had great chemistry and the story moved along quite well. It was funny in places (in typical Joss Whedon style), had plenty of very cool action/ fight scenes and had enough heart/ emotion as well ( Coulson :O(, Thor/Loki and Captain America/Tony). Pretty much loved it.

Edited by quazimodo, Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:08 PM.

loosy

loosy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

Thanks, Dietrich, that was fast! I hadn´t even started writing…

Just back from cinema, and whow! I really enjoyed it. Actually funnier than the other movies from the franchise, and although it feels like Tony Stark is front and center, he doesn´t overtake the whole film. I was apprehensive about the sheer number of protagonists at first, but the movie benefits from the large ensemble, and everyone gets the chance to shine, repeatedly, the exception being Nick Fury, who seems to be mostly watching from the sidelines, particularly when the egos clash. But I guess that´s pretty much his role up to this point, and Samuel L. Jackson can be badass even with a very limited amount of screen time.
Naturally there is a lot of posturing, but for me the funny takes the edge off of that. Whedon also seems to make a statement about the menace, yet ridiculousness, of posing people in silly costumes by the hardly arbitrary trip to Stuttgart. Where, by the way, the cars all seem to be extremely shiny. But of course, it also allows the Captain to come full circle. He and Stark also appeared to make their very own Buddy-movie over the course of the film.
The action, particularly the epic battle in the end, was spectacular, and again seemed to benefit from the number of protagonists. But the whole 3D-effect (which also makes the screen somewhat mushy in dark scenes, but maybe I just need new glasses) sometimes seems to point to the CGI-enhanced scenery, particularly when it comes to the movement of human bodies. It always reminds me of computer games, so the statement that it makes films sooo much more realistic is just not working for me. On the contrary, it kind of punctures the bubble of cinematic illusion. But that´s a problem I am having with 3D in general, and it´s that much more annoying, when there is no good story to carry me over. Which fortunately is not the case here. I actually left the theater thinking “Want!Sequel!NOW!! Wouldn´t mind a prequel, either, because I am veeery curious about what happened in Budapest.
By the way, the biggest laugh during the screening came when Loki did his I-am-a-god-you-sorry-freak-of-nature-routine with the Hulk, and he found the right answer. It was just so …satisfying.
That´s it for now, I hope you all can catch it soon. I will definitely go for seconds…

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Watched it yesterday. It. Was. Fantastic. The only quibble I have is with Marvel's marketing department - don't release so many clips, TV spots and filming stills prior to the movie's release next time! It's totally not fair to impatient geeks like me with no willpower whatsoever to speak of, and I felt I had already watched at least a third of the film.

Nevertheless - totally worth all the extra cash I spilled out for the 3D. Everything was spot on: the actors, the characterisation, the action, the humour. I couldn't ask for a better cinematic experience. It was one of the best superhero films I've ever watched. Everybody raved about The Hulk and Mark Ruffalo (who in my opinion outshone both Norton and Bana in the role and really rounded out the character in a way that the previous two hadn't) but Tom Hiddleston as Loki really impressed me, even more than he had in Thor last summer. This guy had better be going places, or else Hollywood has even worse taste than I thought. He was absolutely terrifying and terrific, and seeing him getting tossed around by The Hulk like a rag doll was one of the best and most hilarious scenes in the film.

Another actor who I've really grown to love is Chris Evans. Don't get me wrong, Robert Downey Jr. oozes charisma and likeability like very few others these days, and he was simply born to play Tony Stark. But that's the thing: whereas RDJ is playing himself more or less as Iron Man, Evans has made a living out of playing douchey fratboys and jerks. Seeing him do a 180 by playing the goody two shows Boy Scout and knocking it out of the park as well as he's done is truly eye opening. His Steve Rogers was stern, level headed, firm yet still brave and good at heart, which made his character arc - becoming the team's leader - very believable. He and RDJ bounced so well off each other. Their exchanges were well written and had some classic Whedon dialogue.

Scarlett Johansson - so good. She needs to play more roles like these. Loved her scene with Loki, it gave Natasha character development and the chance to prove that she was more than a robotic one dimensional ass kicking bot. She had great, great chemistry with Renner's Hawkeye, and I sure as hell hope there's a SHIELD movie in the works featuring these two.

Chris Hemsworth was lovely and charismatic as Thor, and I really enjoyed the rest of the cast as well. And of COURSE Joss had to off Agent Coulson! It just wouldn't be a Whedon production without someone beloved and popular getting the knife. SIGH. Also, Nick Fury manipulating Steve and Tony by showing them Coulson's bloodied trading cards was a nice touch; it showed how morally grey is character is capable of being.

And YES - there absolutely has to be a sequel! I want more of this cast together! Tony designing the Avengers Mansion at the end made my little fangirl heart sing.

Starving Artist

Starving Artist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

I have read every spoiler and watched every clip online at this point. I don't know how I'm going to make it til next week. I'm ready to explode with impatience and excitement for it. Squee!

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

Just back from the cinema and I absolutely loved it. Didn't stop smiling or laughing for the 2+ hours (except for when Agent Coulson died) but God, Joss Whedon is a genius - I mean the Thor kind, not Loki kind as per Hulk. In saying that, I did love Loki and his snarky one-liners, especially the bit where he tricks Thor into switching places from him. Tom Hiddleston is so amazing that he kinda made me root for Loki at times. Also, Scarlett Johansson did not suck and I usually despise her. I'm tempted to go and see it again with my niece tomorrow, but I don't want to ruin the afterglow I'm currently experiencing in relation to this masterpiece. Definitely my favourite comic book movie and potential movie of the year. SO amazing!

craves morons

craves morons

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:32 AM

Very impressive. Great balance of all the characters. A lot of heart and a lot of humour; Stark gets the best one-liners, but every character has their moments. Ruffalo is the best Banner of them all. Scarlett's Black Widow gets to be a fully rounded character after being so token in Iron Man 2.

I feel like I want another Avengers movie right away - rather than Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America 2. Actually, maybe Cap deserves to have a really great modern day movie to himself.

nys123

nys123

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

Finally, a movie that lives up to it's hype.

It's not flawless, but it's pretty darn close. I would have been happy if it could have been an hour longer, but as it was, it was perfectly paced.

Every character got their moment in the sun.

Jeremy Renner showed why he is Oscar nominated in the space of 30 seconds, RDJ was pitch perfect (and Joss restrained him from the showboating that he sometimes has a tendency to), Tom Hiddleston was amazing (how many mass murderers can make you want to just give them a big hug whilst retaining a sense of menace- no woobification here), Samuel L Jackson showed why he is Nick Fury incarnate, Chris Hemsworth showed the maturation of the character of Thor with nothing more than a change in the way he holds himself, Chris Evans pulled off the difficult task of being clean-cut Cap without being too boring or strait-laced. ScarJo rocked.

Everyone and his aunt is raving about Mark Ruffalo, and rightly so. He is a revelation. There is one shot, where somehow his eyes peek out of the Hulk's (sorry, the Other Guy's) face- and I was sold.

OH PHIL. PHIL and the cellist. Even in pain, his only thought was how to make the Avenger's Initiative WORK. An Agent through to the bone.

But this movie belongs to one man and one man alone- JOSS WHEDON. He took this disparate group of personalities (both reel and real), threw them into a great big melting pot and created something worthy of multiple Michelin stars.

This is a wonderful Blockbuster, a smash hit, a crowd-pleasing blast.

The comedy is beautifully threaded through the movie ("HULK, Smash"), I finally understand why people are so scared of the Hulk (he can handle unruly party guests in a way no-one else can), the villains' motivation was clear (they want the Tesseract, Loki has agreed to get it for them if they will provide an army to allow him to enslave Earth), there is (thankfully) no maudlin scene where Iron Man tells Cap how right he was.

My only little nit-pick is in the moment of quasi-angst at the end. It doesn't work, simply because the audience knows that Iron Man 3 is on the way.

However, I loved the hero-shot after that.

The natural pairings-- Bruce and Tony, genii together; Thor and Cap; Hawkeye and Blackwidow- clearly done, but not to the point of excluding others (in fact, the relationship between Widow and Banner is one of the best in the film)

The dialogue sparkled, the action was AMAZING, and in those brief moments when the team was together- boy, did they work well together.

I can only thank goodness that I have tickets booked to another show, because I have a feeling that tickets for this film are soon going to be hard-to-find.

Edited by nys123, Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:31 AM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

But this movie belongs to one man and one man alone- JOSS WHEDON. He took this disparate group of personalities (both reel and real), threw them into a great big melting pot and created something worthy of multiple Michelin stars.

So, from what I'm reading, it sounds like Joss outdid himself. Do you think this is the movie that will finally make him a legit property in the movie business, instead of "the guy who did Buffy"? I mean, I think he's awesome as a writer and a director. I just think he's often viewed as the guy who does little things that have cult followings, but no real commercial appeal. It would be nice to see him break out of that.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

The funny thing was that I only noticed one line of Whedon-type dialogue. When... someone said "I'm bringing the party to you," about the giant flying reptile thing and Widow said, "I don't see how that's a party." It was very much Anya overly literal. I was impressed that he managed to ease back on that kind of thing.

nys123

nys123

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:08 AM

I think he has proved that he is not just the man who did Buffy. Definitely

loosy

loosy

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

I atributed a lot of particularly Stark´s one-liners and popcultue references to Joss. I don´t remember Ironman doing that, or being that funny. What was it, "Buckle up, Legolas!" ? But there was too much going on for the film to be overshadowed by it.
Also right at the beginning, the opening crater, that threatens to swallow the out-racing cars, reminded me immidiately of Buffy.
Anyway, i think he will get more chances with blockbuster-material after this. But maybe he enjoys working/writing for tv more? Abrams didn´t give up on it, even though he has made quiet a few big movies to date, and most of them franchises, too...

By the way, i already watched it a second time, and it doesn´t lose. So i guess tonight i´ll go for a third time. Hope public transport does not get hampered by the riots. A very happy revolutionary first of may to everyone!

Czerri

Czerri

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

I really liked The Avengers, but it wasn't perfect. For one thing, we know absolutely nothing about the villain - Who are the army? What do they want with the blue box? Why is Loki doing all this? I understand that when you have so many heroes you don't have time for the villains, but come on, no information at all? That's pushing it.

For another, I don't get how Captain America ends up in charge. We have the arc of the Captain winning Tony Stark's grudging respect, and Hawk Eye and Black Widow are used to working for SHIELD, so following someone's command. But Hulk and Thor? The Hulk changes from an uncontrollable beast wreaking mindless havoc to understanding and following orders, and even having a banter of sorts with Loki, with absolutely no explanation. And Thor, who is by far the best suited to the role of a superhero leader because that is kinda what he does for a living, is likewise inexplicably eager to do whatever the Captain says. I don't get it.

Mind you, the film is lots of fun despite all this, but with structural issues like that it doesn't really deserve all the glowing praise.

nys123

nys123

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

I suppose I gave them an out re: the Hulk because during the climactic fight he had chosen to change; so was more in control than when transforming against his will (where the rage took over on the Helicarrier).

Everyone including Hulk obeying 'Cap'- I suppose because he is 'Cap'!!

Thor- I don't know- the answer that makes sense in the context of the movie (for me) is that he follows (rather than taking charge) because he's playing in someone else's land, by different rules. When he sees everyone listening to 'Cap', he just fits in, becuase he knows there isn't time to argue about who should lead.

Captain America is iconic; moreso to soldiers, so it would make sense that the soldiers follow him (Widow and Hawkeye).

edited to fix capitals and for clarity.

Edited by nys123, May 1, 2012 @ 4:27 PM.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

For another, I don't get how Captain America ends up in charge. We have the arc of the Captain winning Tony Stark's grudging respect, and Hawk Eye and Black Widow are used to working for SHIELD, so following someone's command. But Hulk and Thor? The Hulk changes from an uncontrollable beast wreaking mindless havoc to understanding and following orders, and even having a banter of sorts with Loki, with absolutely no explanation. And Thor, who is by far the best suited to the role of a superhero leader because that is kinda what he does for a living, is likewise inexplicably eager to do whatever the Captain says. I don't get it.

Well, I think if Thor were to become leader of the Avengers it would come off as a bit arrogant, seeing as he's not even from this world and it would come off as all too imperialist to rule over a group of people that come from a world that used to worship him as a god. In the comics Thor has a great deal of innate respect for Cap because of his goodness and decency and his prowess as a leader. In fact, Cap is the only one deemed 'worthy' enough to wield Mjolnir besides Thor himself. In any case, I think that despite Thor's power and strength, Cap was the best tactician out of the whole group, and more importantly, he was the most level headed and focused. In his own movie Thor was shown to have a tendency of being too hot headed and conceited and thus was not even ready to be King of Asgard just yet. Thor also had an familial and complication connection towards the enemy (Loki) that might have put him too close to the mission at hand emotionally.

As for the Hulk, I think the "Bruce" inside of him already had a good deal of respect towards Cap and that probably stayed with him even during his monstrous form.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

I really liked The Avengers, but it wasn't perfect. For one thing, we know absolutely nothing about the villain - Who are the army? What do they want with the blue box? Why is Loki doing all this? I understand that when you have so many heroes you don't have time for the villains, but come on, no information at all? That's pushing it.

I think the movie provided enough information about the motivation of the bad guys. Regular viewers don’t really need to know any more than was shown in the film. There’s an interested party that wants the Tesseract and they were willing to loan Loki an army to get it from Earth. In exchange for handing over the Tesseract Loki gets to keep Earth. Why do they want it? Probably because it’s the ultimate power source or something.

But the real treat in this subject comes after the main credits when we get an extra scene were we see the guy Loki dealt with during the movie reporting back to his boss. Regular viewers won’t understand any more than they did the rest of the movie, but comic book readers will know exactly who he is and exactly what he’s after.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

I saw a screen for this yesterday, and I loved it. I will probably go see it again when it comes out tomorrow.

I saw Joss Whedon's handy work all over the dialogue. And that's one reason I knew I would enjoy the movie. The only thing is none of besides maybe Iron Man were never that witty in their own movies. The opening sequence reminded me of Buffy and Sunnydale sinking.

Even the Hulk, sorry the other guy managed to be funny. After they had fought a bunch those alien things they crashed into Central Station? Hulk and Thor pick themselves up and Hulk just punches Thor in the face and he goes flying off screen, that was hilarious, the whole theater laughed.

firedragon76

firedragon76

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Jeremy Renner showed why he is Oscar nominated in the space of 30 seconds, RDJ was pitch perfect (and Joss restrained him from the showboating that he sometimes has a tendency to), Tom Hiddleston was amazing (how many mass murderers can make you want to just give them a big hug whilst retaining a sense of menace- no woobification here), Samuel L Jackson showed why he is Nick Fury incarnate, Chris Hemsworth showed the maturation of the character of Thor with nothing more than a change in the way he holds himself, Chris Evans pulled off the difficult task of being clean-cut Cap without being too boring or strait-laced. ScarJo rocked.

Everyone and his aunt is raving about Mark Ruffalo, and rightly so. He is a revelation. There is one shot, where somehow his eyes peek out of the Hulk's (sorry, the Other Guy's) face- and I was sold.

Agreed on all counts. I don't think I've ever sat in a comic movie and thought 'damn, he's good' (I assume we are thinking of the same 30 seconds here ;-)) and 'I'd like to see him on stage, preferrable in a Shakespeare play' (Hiddleston). I didn't get the hype about Hiddleston after Thor, but he really owned his character here.

I also wasn't a big fan of Captain America (movie), but was positively surprised by Evans in The Avengers. And thank deity of choice that Black Widow wasn't just a piece of prop but actually kicked ass. Thank you Joss Whedon for not writing your female characters as helpless idiots!

mikal768

mikal768

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

But the real treat in this subject comes after the main credits when we get an extra scene were we see the guy Loki dealt with during the movie reporting back to his boss. Regular viewers won’t understand any more than they did the rest of the movie, but comic book readers will know exactly who he is and exactly what he’s after.

"Courting Death" never sounded so... romantic until that moment.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

I have a question for anyone who saw a midnight screening tonight.

Did you also have issues where they cut off the subtitles at the start of the film and it was framed wrong? Because that's what happened at my theatre. Just before the movie started everything glitched and then it was like the picture was too big for the screen. Half of faces were cut off etc etc. We were told that the film was transmitted from the states and it may have been a problem at that end so I'm curious. Either way I'm pushing for a pass when I go back tomorrow to complain.

RedJed

RedJed

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

Who was he? Because i had no idea.

mikal768

mikal768

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:42 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanos

InsertWordHere

InsertWordHere

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:58 AM

This is definitely my favorite comic book movie to date. I loved it!. The dialogue and pacing and the death! had Joss Whedon written all over it. I have never found the Hulk scary or threatening until this movie. Amazing CGI and amazing acting by Mark Ruffalo. He is now my one true Hulk. I also loved the small cameo by Dollhouse's Enver Gjokaj, who was the best thing about that show. Speaking of Dollhouse and all other things Whedon: Joss, I forgive you and I'm sorry I ever doubted your awesomeness! I hope he does another Marvel movie soon.

print_whore

print_whore

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

I thought this was terrible! I was so bored throughout the whole thing.

It had so much potential to be awesome but I was underwhelmed. So, so underwhelmed.

It was rote, there was nothing interesting going on and they killed off Coulson. Bleah. Not impressed.

Sorry guys but after what Nolan did with the Dark Knight, this movie just seemed so pointless in comparison. And why kill off Phil?!! He was the only good thing about this movie.

I loved the Ultimates by Millar because it showed how flawed the Avengers were--all of them. This was just.. ech.

firedragon76

firedragon76

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

Sorry guys but after what Nolan did with the Dark Knight, this movie just seemed so pointless in comparison.

Apples and oranges. Two completely different movies that wouldn't even be compared constantly if there wasn't a new Batman coming up.

And why kill off Phil?!! He was the only good thing about this movie.

Because they needed someone to avenge, as Phil even stated.

print_whore

print_whore

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

Consider the original source material: Millar's Ultimates. What made that series so damn good was because it focused on the the flaws of all the team members and how fucked up they are. Hulk was eating people in it. It's not apples and oranges to compare Millar's revamp that lead to this whole movie in the first place.

The Ultimates was good because it made the Avengers more human, this movie sucked because they all became stereotypes again.

So I was expecting more of an edge to the Avengers and what I got was a very bland popcorn movie that did nothing different from what all other superhero movies do. It was rote and it didn't really do anything for me except for the Galaga reference.

I've been a Whedonite for years, I thought this could have gone much, much better.

Edited by print_whore, May 4, 2012 @ 8:53 AM.

mikal768

mikal768

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

Why were you expecting the Ultimates? The predecessor movies pretty much showed they were using some of the more shallow aspects of the Ultimateverse but not get all grimdark like Hulk eating people.

I mean seriously? This is a popcorn action flick. There's really no reason for anyone to think it would have gone down that kinda track.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

Consider the original source material: Millar's Ultimates. What made that series so damn good was because it focused on the the flaws of all the team members and how fucked up they are. Hulk was eating people in it. It's not apples and oranges to compare Millar's revamp that lead to this whole movie in the first place.

You weren't comparing it to The Ultimates you were comparing it to Nolan's Batman, which is Apples and Oranges. Nolan grounded Batman as realistically as he could, it's a movie about a comic book character, but I'd argue that Nolan's Batman is not a Superhero movie. Batman is not really a superhero. The Avengers are.

Personally I never thought the Ultimates was that good. It was essentially Millar writing the Avengers as if they were the Watchmen. Hulk ate people in the Ultimates (something I absolutely hated btw), did you honestly think they'd ever put that in a movie? If you watched any of the Avengers universe movies was there anything there that made you think the Avengers movie was ever going to be them being anything but superheroes?

Millar's revamp did not 'lead' to the Avengers movie. The success of Spiderman and X-Men led Marvel to try and release the movies more under their control, and they added a little cookie tossed in at the end of Iron Man,more as a nod than anything else. When Iron Man blew up HUGE Marvel decided to actually go for it. Zak Penn borrowed from the Ultimates in terms of plot, because it's easier to do that then to try and mine 40-50 years of Avengers stories looking for something that could work as a movie plot that would have to be radically altered. Then Joss came in and completely reworked the screenplay from Zak's plot if the credits are anything to go by.

I'm not saying the movie doesn't have flaws. The whole destroy the mother ship and every other vessel goes down is a plot convenience taken right from Independence Day, there had to be a smarter way to do that.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

I'm not saying the movie doesn't have flaws. The whole destroy the mother ship and every other vessel goes down is a plot convenience taken right from Independence Day, there had to be a smarter way to do that.

My personal fanwank for that part is the Thanos never intended to leave the Chitauri forces with Loki after he had the Tesseract. That they were rigged to self-destruct as soon as the Cube was gone and the portals closed.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

OMG I thought it was amazing. I'm a little loopy because I did the Marvel Marathon and sat through all the other movies before the midnight showing which was so worth it. I'm going to see again tonight and I can't wait. I think my favorite part was the fact that it felt like a true ensemble. I was worried it was going to be Iron Man and friends but everyone got their chance to shine and they all worked well together. As a huge Captain America fan I was especially glad to see him in a leadership role.