8-21: "Moment of Truth" 2012.04.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

132 replies to this topic

FleeceBlanket

FleeceBlanket

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Word. Also, Sarah Drew specifically said that April would reveal something important about her character that would factor into how she and Jackson dealt with the aftermath. It's not going away. And she didn't just rant that she's worried about going to hell and not being right with God, she said that she has been a virgin all this time because she loves Jesus. This implies that her earlier explanation was a lie.

April's Jesus freakout was less surprising to me, but only because I remember Sarah Drew from Everwood, and it was known that she was a Christian with fairly strong religious beliefs. She also played a character on Everwood who had similar compunctions about sex before marriage, so I wasn't altogether shocked to see those same traits emerge here. And April has always been kind of a goody two shoes, so I figured something like this would happen sooner or later.

But I agree wholeheartedly that it seemed totally out of the blue, since they've never even referred to those aspects of her character in passing before this episode - and as others said, she's been through multiple crises at the hospital. Christianity is supposed to be about more than just not having sex before marriage, no?

Even as it seemed totally random, this whole storyline was kind of cliched - the straight-and-narrow girl feels bad about having sex. I feel like the most interesting choice would've been to have her be surprisingly okay with the decision - maybe with some mixed feelings about how exactly it came about, esp. because I don't think she's in love with Jackson, but overall dealing with it in a mature fashion. Instead they have her choose to deal with it in a weird, silly way that's also been done over and over before.

ETA none of this is to knock Sarah Drew at all - despite finding April annoying, I think she's a great actress and have loved her since Everwood. But this whole storyline...smh.

Edited by FleeceBlanket, Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:58 AM.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

I could buy April's Jesus explanation and her close friends not knowing about it, if I hadn't seen her almost sleep with Alex.

Edited by DS1, Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:22 PM.

nodepth

nodepth

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

I could buy April's Jesus explanation and her close friends not knowing about it, if I hadn't seen her almost sleep with Alex.

You know, I never like to to criticize someone's job unless I've had experience doing that same job. It always looks easy if you are standing on the outside looking in. I get that it's got to be difficult trying to find storylines for multiple characters on series drama and this is year eight no less. But, seriously, the commentary on this board shows a number of ideas for how Richard and April's storylines could have been written much better if they had used time wisely or maybe cared about not insulting the intelligence of their viewers. But this is something that in eight seasons, Shonda does not seem to care about because I guess people keep watching.

I mean, if people on this board could take a little factor like the timing of Weber's hook-up with Dr. Avery, because there was no build up, again in a storyline, or the continuity of April's faith/religion, why can't these professional writers do it? These suggestions have nothing to do with changing the storyline, that's not the complaint; once again, it's how it's written, just thrown together on a whim. Heck, even Izzy was shown to have gone to church. I remember her coming back from church in one eppy, I think it was around the time she cheated with George and she was never presented as a very religous character. But I think I was supposed to buy her as being some good, old-fashioned American girl (eye roll), you know, the kind you wanna bring home to mama. So, showing her coming from church in her little innocent looking, fragile, lady-like, pale pink coat, her hair up in a bun of some sort was all supposed to make me think she really was truly searching her "warm" moral soul for forgiveness, answers, whatever for her transgressions.

I mean could they have not shown April all this time, and all she's dealt with being a surgeon, could they have not shown her at least trying to go to church. Or even being upset that she hasn't found a church to attend now that she resides in Seattle.

Heck, in the season six finale, not once was she on her knees praying. That would have brought the funny, cause you just know Cristina would have been "What's she doing?" And if Alex hadn't been shot you know he would have made some crack about what Cristina would only be on her knees for... But nothing, nothing, no praying for Derek her supposed crush while his life was in the balance, while he left her in the office when she first discovered that Reed? was shot, no praying. Nothing....?

Edited by nodepth, Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:22 PM.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I'm enjoying Callie and her snarky wit this season. Her "Get Real/I don't think so/You're kidding me, right?" attitude has won me over. I'm not sure if it's the acting, or the writing but whatever it is, maybe we can infuse Sarah Drew/April with it because that character is annoying. Who the hell acts like that in real life? (I know, this is Shondaland...still)

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I'm enjoying Callie and her snarky wit this season. Her "Get Real/I don't think so/You're kidding me, right?" attitude has won me over. I'm not sure if it's the acting, or the writing but whatever it is, maybe we can infuse Sarah Drew/April with it because that character is annoying. Who the hell acts like that in real life? (I know, this is Shondaland...still)

I have never like Callie, and don't like April, either. I don't imagine people like Callie exists in real life. Of course, this is Grey's, where none of these people are realistic!

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I don't mind Callie when they tone down the crazy but April is straight up annoying. It's a combination of her voice---she always sounds on the verge of hysteria----combined with her grating personality that makes her hard to watch. So that Jesus freak-out was just another odd freak-out in a plethora of freak-outs. It's like her MO or something. Freaky!

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

I'm enjoying Callie and her snarky wit this season. Her "Get Real/I don't think so/You're kidding me, right?" attitude has won me over. I'm not sure if it's the acting, or the writing but whatever it is, maybe we can infuse Sarah Drew/April with it because that character is annoying. Who the hell acts like that in real life?

The Dialog for this show has always felt to junior high to me, Meredith and the rest of them were/are suppose to be late 20's to 30's and yet they talk like they are pre teens. That has always bothered me about this show.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

The Dialog for this show has always felt to junior high to me, Meredith and the rest of them were/are suppose to be late 20's to 30's and yet they talk like they are pre teens. That has always bothered me about this show.

Hey. I watch Doctor Who and they say things like " timey wimey" so the stuff that comes out of the character's mouths on Grey's doesn't faze me a bit. But I can understand why it bothers some folks.

Hope Springs

Hope Springs

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

I mean could they have not shown April all this time, and all she's dealt with being a surgeon, could they have not shown her at least trying to go to church. Or even being upset that she hasn't found a church to attend now that she resides in Seattle.

Precisely, and they could have done this without giving away that she was that religious. They could have had her praying during a major trauma without giving that away, too--anybody would pray in that situation. The extent to which she is devout could still have come as a twist later on. But they didn't even have her mention a church once, I don't think, until this episode when she was crying to Owen outside the bus about her parents' church praying for her.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

I'm 100% ok with it because of Callie's speech to Finn about them being teenagers with scalpels. I find it quite realistic and it provides a way to differentiate between friends speaking casually and doctors speaking to patients professionally.

Meow25

Meow25

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

deleted

Edited by Meow25, May 4, 2012 @ 7:43 AM.

dvrsavedtv

dvrsavedtv

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

sorry meant to post this in the latest episdoe thread. Nothing to see here.

Edited by dvrsavedtv, May 4, 2012 @ 7:51 AM.

smashing1900

smashing1900

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

We finally got to see this episode tonight. After the comments I read, I was surprised to enjoy the episode. I actually liked the chief with Jackson's mom. I mean, I didn't get the chemistry, but I found the scene beautiful. I had to laugh when Jackson knocked at the door in the morning and Richard opened. I also laughed a lot when I saw April's behavior at the bar. She was completely out of her mind. As everyone else commented, I don't get her sudden religiousness and certainly would have expected her to wait until after the boards to make a comment to Jackson instead of just before he entered to take them. I don't like Lexie with Mark, I guess mainly because I find Eric Dane a little boring, except sometimes when he's interacting with Derek, but I think I saw some spark between them in this episode. I already cringe at the idea of watching her verbal diarrhea in next weeks episode (after what you have written). I'm glad that I already know that Alex makes it to the test (one advantage of watching the episodes son much later). Zola in the bumble bee costume was supercute.