8-21: "Moment of Truth" 2012.04.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

132 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

From comcast.com:

In San Francisco, where the residents have gone for their oral boards, sparks fly when Richard bumps into Catherine Avery. Meanwhile, Owen and Teddy argue over a young auto-crash patient and Bailey must intervene; Mark tries...

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

A tear escaped my eye when little Tommy stopped breathing. I can't help it; I get emotional when tiny babies die in their mother's arms.

The rest of the episode was meh, except for: "I was a virgin because I loved Jesus, and now Jesus hates me." I don't think any line has ever made me crack up more. That's an odd thing to say to a guy you slept with out of the blue the moment he sits down.

drwyatt

drwyatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Crap, my dvr cut off the end. What happened after Mer and cristina were called in?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Another examiner came out and called for Alex, saw no one left in the hall, and went back into her room.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I really liked this episode. I didn't think I cared about Morgan and her baby, but that was a really touching storyline. I don't care for April, but, damn! I felt all kinds of feelings throughout this episode, and I am now convinced that she fails her boards. The scene with Christina and Meredith holding hands under the door choked me up, and I even found myself rooting for Teddy and Owen to make up, which is bizarre as I don't care much for either character.

Spoiler
, based on this episode.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

I need brain bleach after those back-to-back sex scenes. Talk about 3 characters I NEVER needed to see get it on. Ever.

This episode was boring and way too April-heavy. Words cannot possibly express how little I care for that character. How is it possible that super stressed April is even MORE annoying than before? I didn't think it could happen.

The only redeeming moments in this episode: Meredith/Cristina door scenes, especially the last one. Just perfect. Also Derek pretty much kicked ass for the little bit that he was in this episode. Loved him as supportive husband encouraging Boston and trying not to let Mer worry about her little ZoZo (aww, that nickname!). Loved him stepping up in dad-mode and taking on baby vomit duty. Loved him as compassionate brother-in-law for Lexie.

Edited by calidub, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

Pooch77

Pooch77

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

The episode was pretty good all-around, until.. the jesus thing.

I mean.. what was that? They established why she was still a virgin more than once, and it was perfectly fine, but now.. really??

That line was so out of place and jarring that I actually laughed out loud a few times until I realized it was meant to be taken seriously. Now I'm just.. very confused. ><

Edited by Pooch77, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:23 PM.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

The rest of the episode was meh, except for: "I was a virgin because I loved Jesus, and now Jesus hates me." I don't think any line has ever made me crack up more. That's an odd thing to say to a guy you slept with out of the blue the moment he sits down.

I thought it was especially weird since I've never gotten the sense that April was religious, or that her religion was the reason for her virginity.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

This episode was sort of flat for me. I think I am mostly irked at the repeat of Alex's self-sabotaging behavior.

Also, I agree that the Jesus thing was ridiculous, not as a personal reason, but as something she would whine about right before one of the biggest tests in her career.

Edited by lovlylizzy, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I thought it was especially weird since I've never gotten the sense that April was religious, or that her religion was the reason for her virginity.

Yeah, in the middle of my guffaws, I was struck by how out of character that statement was. If I remember correctly -- and may very well not be -- she said previously that she wanted to wait for it to be special with a special person, or something to that effect, and she just kept waiting and waiting, etc. Point is, April never said that she was waiting for religious reasons or waiting for marriage or anything. Silly pointless line.

Edited by Chicken Wing, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

thought it was especially weird since I've never gotten the sense that April was religious, or that her religion was the reason for her virginity.

Until that line I was actually rooting for April/Jackson. Then they turned her back into an overly whiny waste of time.

drwyatt

drwyatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

I have to say the makeup dept is doing a wondervile job making KMK look like a haggard wreck.
I hate how Mer is pushing C to leave Owen. I don't remember it being the other way around.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

"Why is she wearing a bumblebee costume?"
"She's thrown up on all of her other clothes."

That was just too cute. I want a Zola (especially if a Derek comes with it).

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I hate how Mer is pushing C to leave Owen. I don't remember it being the other way around.

Oh, I do. Cristina hated Derek for most of the series.

You and Derek will not work

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

That line was so out of place and jarring that I actually laughed out loud a few times until I realized it was meant to be taken seriously.

I couldn't believe what the hell came out of April's mouth. That shit came out of left field for sure. And the way the actress played it, it made her look like a crazy person.

Once again Meredith and Cristina's scenes saved the episode for me. I loved how Cristina finally confided in Meredith about Owen cheating and Meredith was like "oh yeah I already know about that". And that single tear that ran down Cristina's face after they held hands under the door? Uggg....it broke my heart.

I always liked Morgan so it wasn't surprising that I cried like a sap when little Tommy died. I'm glad Alex made amends for the asshole-ish way he left things the last time. But sheesh he didn't have to screw himself out of the boards to do it. Its like Alex is afraid to succeed or something. I'm glad Arizona was there to kick his ass.

Talk about 3 characters I NEVER needed to see get it on. Ever.

Oh God yes. I turned my eyes when Richard and Mama Avery were going at it. Avery should be glad he didn't see what we saw.

So am I the only person who thought Meredith's sickness was due to her being pregnant? I don't know, I just thought it was odd that she was so sick but Derek was perfectly fine.

I don't care one bit about Teddy and Owen, but I was glad for Bailey's smackdown. Teddy needed to be told about herself a long time ago. I'm glad people are no longer going to placate her because of Henry's death.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Does Derek not know how to do laundry? He DID live on his own for a while before he and meredith hooked up. He lived in a trailer. What did he do then? I get that it was supposed to be cute but it makes men seem stupid. And most men know how to do laundry.

The fact that she had thrown up on ALL of her clothes makes me think the baby is sick and passed it on to mom. I don't find it odd that Derek didn't get sick. I work in a hospital around sick people and never get sick. Some people's immune systems are just really good. If Zola is sick and Meredith is taking care of her it is likely that she will get sick.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Also, I agree that the Jesus thing was ridiculous, not as a personal reason, but as something she would whine about right before one of the biggest tests in her career.

I'm indifferent to April, but i have to disagree, Taking a pledge of waiting until your married (Which is what i got from April that she took a pledge maybe even had a Purity ring. it's something to get worried about. If April believes she failed Jesus by having sex with Jackson i don't think that is Ridiculous.

The Episode seemed kind of boring, loved the little phone call from Meredith/Derek, the M/L scenes would have been more special had their scenes not been in the SP. Best Scene overall (which shocking to me not an ML one) Derek/Lexie, finally a writer gave her a POV, Also major props for Chyler showing how you cry without being OTT.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

That was the dullest thing ever. Thank you FF button for being such a good friend to me on this episode.

Best part: Derek & Zola in the bumblebee costume and saying goodbye to Mer. I, unfortunately, felt identified on Meredith as I had to take my university's "oral test" also sick. I failed but hope she won't. Also, EP is looking gorgeous these days. LOVE her hair. Just love it. For once, Lexie didn't annoy me when Derek comforted her. Surprising.

Wish they could've spared us of April/Jackson. No need to see that. Ever. Again.

Does Derek not know how to do laundry? He DID live on his own for a while before he and meredith hooked up.

Seriously? Laundry takes time to do, and it's even worse while taking care of a sick baby and being the only parent to do both (laundry & taking care of his child). But don't worry, I'm sure the laundry fairy will do it for Derek. Or maybe his nonexistent maid will do so.

So am I the only person who thought Meredith's sickness was due to her being pregnant? I don't know, I just thought it was odd that she was so sick but Derek was perfectly fine.

No, I thought she caught it. I've always found it "curious" that moms never get sick when their kid is sick but they are human after all. ;)

I don't remember it being the other way around.

In addition to what LakeLover posted, in the following episode, Cristina went to Dr. Wyatt and told her that Derek doesn't see Meredith's pain and what not. And don't forget the "What do you care what he thinks? It makes you look desperate." If there is someone who has tried to convince someone to leave their significant other, it has been Cristina with Mer. I think she started liking him once he got shot.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I'm indifferent to April, but i have to disagree, Taking a pledge of waiting until your married (Which is what i got from April that she took a pledge maybe even had a Purity ring. it's something to get worried about. If April believes she failed Jesus by having sex with Jackson i don't think that is Ridiculous.

I think you misunderstood me, I said it was not ridiculous as a personal reason, but I found it ridiculous that given all the buildup of her studying like a mad woman and getting on everyone's case about the boards she would pick that moment to feel shamed by her actions. I would assume that she would stay focused until after the test then process her feelings.

Also, the idea of Jesus hating anyone is completely contradictory to my understanding so I found it ridiculous for her to think it for that reason too. I do not at all object to personal or religious morality especially when it comes to sex.

Pooch77

Pooch77

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Also, the idea of Jesus hating anyone is completely contradictory to my understanding so I found it ridiculous for her to think it for that reason too. I do not at all object to personal or religious morality especially when it comes to sex.

I think that was the "part 2" of what she said that made it so outrageously out of place. The first part was just bringing "I was waiting for Jesus" into it at all. It blows her previous explanation, which was reasonable and believable, after almost two years of leaving it alone. Following up with "Now he hates me" just made me laugh out of shock and absurdity.

Edited by Pooch77, Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:23 PM.

Bullfrog

Bullfrog

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

April + Jackson = gross. But the Jesus thing was so ridiculous and out of the blue. I went to a baptist college, and the people I know who are abstinent until marriage for religious reasons are not the kind of people who keep their religion a complete secret until the morning after they have ill-advised sex. I would think if her faith was that strong, it would have come up at some time during or after the mass shooting. That was some awful character development. I thought the deep dark secret was going to be something about Jackson commenting how good she was at it .. that she was not a virgin but was ashamed for another reason and told everyone she was. Anyway, totally random and not in line with the character we've known.

Thank you, Bailey, for putting an end to Teddy's whining.

I thought Lexie had come to relieve Derek so he could get some sleep. Am I the only one who wanted to tell her to shut up, he was up all night with a sick toddler?

Alex = not noble, just stupid.

About the only things I loved were Mer and Christina's scenes through the door, and Jackson's pencil.

Looking forward to knowing who is staying and who is going so I can know whether I can stop watching altogether.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

totally random and not in line with the character we've known.

Isn't this all the point? April was full on freaking: from crying at the bus, to punching a guy in the nose, to sleeping with Avery, to worrying about Jesus...

Girl was freaking out, and this was manifesting itself in all aspects of her being. Stop trying to make it logical. The point was that the looming exams broke her.

Edited by Erratic, Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:46 PM.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I don't have DVR anymore (sniff) so I have to watch live (the horror). I haven't seen the past few episodes so I'm a bit behind. In general, the episode was pretty damn dull. I still love scenes with the fab 3 and mer/der, but the rest of the show just plods.

1) April. Ugh. Too much of her and her spazzy energy is annoying.
2) Mark and Lexie --I don't understand this relationship. I don't see the chemistry or understand why they can't just say what they want to say. Too teen romance. They are grown-ups.
3) Chief and Debbie Allen - you know, it kinda works for me. The chief deserves a little action. I didn't need to see it unfold, but happy that he gets a little happiness.
4) Teddy -- WORST CHARACTER EVER. Put us out of our misery and make her move away or die in a fiery crash or get terminal cancer or something. Please.

Best part -- Mer/Cris. It is the only part of the show that feels real.

KnittingOwl

KnittingOwl

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Does Derek not know how to do laundry? He DID live on his own for a while before he and meredith hooked up. He lived in a trailer. What did he do then? I get that it was supposed to be cute but it makes men seem stupid. And most men know how to do laundry.

That seemed completely realistic to me. You have a father who is home with his sick baby who is probably also her mommy. He has more important things to do than do the laundry. Little ones make a ton of laundry when they are sick. Honestly, I loved that scene. It was totally normal to me, and I could see my husband doing the same thing in that situation.

AlpineAddiction

AlpineAddiction

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Apparently, I'm the only one who liked it! I thought there was a lot of funny stuff, which is what I have been so desperately missing through this whole crowen debacle. Callie-girl, I feel in love with you tonight! Bears with knives-comedy platinum! I love Bailey, Arizona, and Callie together-please, please have them all next season! Other than the first April scene, I actually enjoyed what they were doing with her until her last scene. Now, I'm deflated and willing to throw her character under the bus. And I agree with all those who are saying it was not in line with her previous character. Actually liked Morgan tonight and haven't ever before. For that matter, I actually liked Lexie's last scene, which I never do anymore. (Hated all the Mark/Lexie scenes, though-boring.) I like the mama avery/richard hookup but i really, really, REALLY didn't want to see the extended version. I feel the need to scrub my eyes. I feel guilty saying that, though, because I know that older people need romance too. There's a market for everyone. Just wish this one hadn't been so...drawn out. Kind of felt like walking in on a parent. Yuck. Really, really don't want anything to happen to Arizona or Alex-love them together. As always, Cristina/Meredith friendship was lovely to watch. I'm glad Bailey dealt with Teddy, but I thought Owen needed a beatdown too. He's actually the one who was being petulant and bitchy THIS episode. Maybe that whole drama is over and we can finally move on. If someone has to go, please be Owen, Derek, Avery, April, Richard or Mark. Anyone else and I will be a sad woman!

BronxBomber

BronxBomber

Couch Potato

• Location:New York, NY, but you can often find me other places

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

I love Alex, but I can't stand the story lines or portrayal he gets at times. They have written it so that when it comes to Alex, the words noble or self-sacrifice become synonyms for moronic. Alex rightly berated Arizona for setting him up with crappy interviews and not pushing for him to succeed elsewhere, but then he up and leaves his boards for Morgan? Shonda seems to think this is compelling, endearing, or a display of how great a doctor Alex is, but I was just disgusted by it. Not only is it completely stupid, but it is also a completely stupid thing we've seen over and over again with Alex. Someone who wants to be a doctor doesn't throw away the chance to help future and current patients as Alex has done repeatedly. Based on the lion episode, I thought we'd see that Alex has finally, after all this time, figured out that getting so intimately and emotionally involved with a patient to the detriment of his career wasn't a good thing. Maybe I'm the stupid one for thinking that the writers would take him off of this stupid hamster wheel of plots.

I am so over this Mark and Lexie thing. The relationship was creepy to begin with and tonight's exchanges between them crystalized how age inappropriate they are for each other. He looked like a dad or an uncle encouraging her to fight for young love with Jackson. Lexie still lives with her older sister and Mark has two children who are like 20 years apart. Lexie becoming a mother to Sofia makes as little sense as it did when she was playing "mom" to Sloan Sloan. Shonda needs to stop trying to make Mexie happen at this stage of the season and maybe the show. She looks like a child and the creep factor is even worse now that ED looks so haggard. I understand that he's had some issues outside of the show and that is sad, but it has aged him.

Teddy and Owen need to grow up. You just don't walk out of surgery because you are beefing with a coworker. That was ridiculous. I was glad to see shades of the Old Bailey (ha!) dispensing hard truths in a hard manner; I like this Bailey, not her blubbering clone. Teddy is irrational and factually incorrect in her hatred of Owen, but they are both so loathsome that I cannot even be bothered to take sides or even care about their feelings.

Speaking of the old Bailey, it was nice that the show reminded us of how the interns were her "babies." (Who can forget when she chastised them for running off two residents during her absence? "Everyone's saying my interns are Rosemary's Babies...did I raise you fools to be pariahs?") That has gotten pushed to the wayside, so it was cute to see her beam that they were leaving the nest.

Cristina and Meredith are almost always gold together and tonight they were.

April was funny in her barroom brawl, but that Jesus thing was just crazy. I laughed until I realized that she wasn't kidding. At this point, they are just making up things for her to say and do. They dropped her being chief resident as a prominent part of the story, so I suppose they thought that this "Jesus Hates Me, This I Know" meltdown would make her interesting...or something. The only character we've seen with any ties to religion or in possession of religious iconography is Callie. I would have thought it better to find out that April was a secret "old lady" of a Hell's Angel rather than a Jesus Freak. Whatever Shonda.

DesiLu

DesiLu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

The Episode seemed kind of boring, loved the little phone call from Meredith/Derek, the M/L scenes would have been more special had their scenes not been in the SP. Best Scene overall (which shocking to me not an ML one) Derek/Lexie, finally a writer gave her a POV, Also major props for Chyler showing how you cry without being OTT.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what does M/L SP and OTT mean? I swear I need a cheat sheet or something for all of the acronyms around here. Some posts, I just don't understand at all. Thank you!

Beth64

Beth64

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

At the risk of sounding stupid, what does M/L SP and OTT mean? I swear I need a cheat sheet or something for all of the acronyms around here. Some posts, I just don't understand at all. Thank you!

Mark/Lexie
Sneak peak
Over the top

Edited by Beth64, Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:11 AM.

girl22

girl22

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

So so so did NOT need to see so much of Webber/Mama Avery sexytimes. Ever heard of fade to black? Like just. No thank you.

I liked the pace of the episode and the feeling of intensity that all of the residents felt going to San Francisco for the board exams. Each of them has a different way of dealing or not dealing with it, so that was interesting to see. Overall I really liked it. A lot of it had me laughing out loud, and Tommy's last breath choked me up a bit. Loved Cristina and Mer talking through the door. Like so much. Their friendship has actually grown a lot. Derek not doing sick baby laundry made sense to me. Dads sometimes would rather put their kid in a bee costume than deal with mess. My Dad dressed us in pj's when we were healthy because he just didn't want to deal with laundry. I prefer this Bailey so much better over the random over the top emotional weep fests she has had lately. And her playing off Teddy and Owen made them more bearable for me. Callie and Arizona were not in it very much but they were pretty solid in what they did have.

Things that bothered or confused me: Mark and Lexie. To me their scenes seemed really off. I don't get if they are trying to make us want this couple or not. Because I got a weird fathery type vibe from Mark (if there was anything at all, ED seemed to really be phoning it in tonight.) The Alex stuff made me confused too because, while on the one hand, I liked that he did a good job as a doctor, I thought he chose to leave the case because Morgan got too attached to him. He didn't help with that whole dynamic by coming back. And leaving his boards? Really? Moaned out loud when he went back to Seattle. I just wish they would let him get over his self destructive streak. I mean he just does it over and over again. He'd have learned by now. And then there was April...I...I dunno. While, I actually liked a lot of her stuff up until the Jesus thing, all of it seemed really weird to me. Not just the out of the blueness or whatever. I mean even the way the jesus line was delivered was off. And everything before it was very erratic. Like actually mentally unstable. I dunno if they are trying to set us up for a breakdown or what. Mental problems would almost seem to be a better plot to me than the actual religious stuff.

Edited by girl22, Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:41 AM.

DesiLu

DesiLu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

Thank you so much!
I haven't been watching this show for too long, I caught some repeats one day and got sucked in. I'm not too current on the newest episodes but I seem to be the only one who likes Mark and Lexie. Maybe not now because Eric Dane looks so bad, but in the beginning, I really liked them together.