2012 Tony Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

99 replies to this topic

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

I thought I would start this thread since nominations will be announced on May 1. Kristen Chenoweth and Jim Parsons will host the announcements. And the legend-wait for it-ary Neil Patrick Harris will host the CBS broadcast on June 10.

Edited by Good Queen Jane, Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:21 PM.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

I am so excited Neil Patrick Harris is returning to host. He's fantastic, and I hope they bring back Lin-Manuel Miranda to write another closing rap.

I'm excited to see both Once and Newsies perform - their ensembles both have amazing energy, though in many different ways. The dancing in Newsies will translate really well on the broadcast, and Once's musicians are so passionate in their delivery. I loved Steve Kazee but didn't care for Cristin Millioti in Once, so I hope he gets nominated. It's a shame there isn't an ensemble award, because both shows certainly deserve it.

Steve Kazee is wonderful in Once. He's able to take a part that is so associated with Glen Hansard, make it his own, but still pay homage to the original performance. He's subtle and moving, he made me care so much for Guy. My issues with Millioti are her weird choices in lisp and atrocious accent to the point that it's downright distracting. I didn't realize I was so attached to Marketa's performance until I saw her. She has a lovely voice and I would have loved her so much more if those distracting affectations were put away.

Jeremy Jordan is also fantastic in Newsies. If I could personally award a tie, I would.

I was disappointed last year when Nina Arianda lost for "Born Yesterday" but it looks like she may be overlooked again (she will be nominated, though) for her absolutely revelatory performance in "Venus in Fur." Just amazing. David Ives (the playwright) articulates perfectly why Nina Arianda is so fantastic in that part. That category looks stacked with stiff competition: Stockard Channing in Other Desert Cities, Tracey Bennett in End of the Raindbow, Linda Lavin in the Lyons, Cynthia Nixon in Wit, and Tyne Daly in Master Class. I would love for Arianda to take it, not just because it's such a difficult part that is so hard to excel in: she has to be comic, sexy, serious, tough, demure, contemporary, victorian all in the space of 90 minutes without ever leaving the stage, and not just because this is her second consecutive performance where she's blown audiences away, but it would be a SURPRISE on the telecast and I would love to see her acceptance speech.

Those are the races I have the most investment in this year.

Edited by OptimisticCynic, Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:59 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

My issues with Millioti are her weird choices in lisp and atrocious accent

You think her accent is bad? She sounds like an actual Czech compared to the woman playing her mother. That's the worst accent I've heard on a broadway stage.

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

And the nominations are here.

Two of the nominations for Best Score are for plays, not musicals. What makes a work a "play with music" rather than a musical?

Edited by Good Queen Jane, May 1, 2012 @ 9:44 AM.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

Two of the nominations for Best Score are for plays, not musicals. What makes a work a "play with music" rather than a musical?

I think a play would probably just have music in the background with no singing or musical numbers.

Its interesting that Andrew Garfield got a nomination for Death of a Salesman. The reviews I read were more glowing towards Finn Wittrock's performance.

Edited by oreo8704, May 1, 2012 @ 6:12 PM.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

And Spider-Man gets only two nominations: Scenic Design and Costume Design. Life is sweet.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

I'm so happy for Once - 11 nominations. I hope that makes up for the lack of Drama Desk love the performers got.

wilibald

wilibald

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I think a play would probably just have music in the background with no singing or musical numbers.

Oreo, I don't know if your response is entirely correct as "Peter and the Star Catcher" does have singing in it, yet is classified as a "play with music". I think it ultimately depends on producers' discretion and how the show is marketed. The term "musical" conjures up some specific images of association - big flashy dance numbers, ballads, etc. Some producers may think their show may be better received as a "play" vs. "musical"; not to mention, may stand a better chance at earning Tony noms as a "play".

Perhaps, (this is my speculation) there is also a mathematical equation, in that a musical must be ___% sung / set to music. It makes intuitive sense, but I do not know if that is entirely accurate.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

Steve Kazee and company of Once talk about their Tony nominations:
http://www.broadway....-steve-kazee-5/

I heart Steve Kazee, he's so adorable. I want him to tie with Jeremy Jordan so bad - love both of them!

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

• Interests:Ennui, regret and baseball. And I do love an ellipses...

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

I know it's not going to happen but I'd give up a kidney for Follies to do "Who's That Woman".

Best thing I saw all year!

DirectEstoppel

DirectEstoppel

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

My fearless predictions:

Play: Other Desert Cities
Musical: Newsies
Play Revival: Master Class
Musical Revival: Follies
Actor in a Play: John Lithgow (dude seems to win every time he's nominated for something, sad but true)
Actress in a Play: Stockard Channing
Actor in a Musical: Jeremy Jordan
Actress in a Musical: Audra McDonald b/c Tony voters love her (I don't like Kelli O'Hara, but she's overdue for a win; however, Jan Maxwell is my favorite in the category this year.)
Choreography: Kathleen Marshall always wins this.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Here's an informative video about producing the Tony Awards, some highlights, and interviews with this year's nominees and previous winners:

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Edited by OptimisticCynic, Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:26 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

If they ever want to increase the ratings for the telecast, I think they need to move the show to later in June. The second Sunday in June is a minefield of events, especially this year. It's the season finale of Mad Men, the season premiere of True Blood & I think basketball & hockey finals are still happening (although I don't know if either one will have a game Sunday evening). Then there's the real life issues of the Puerto Rican Day parade & subway series in NYC & the Belmont Stakes nearby, making it traffic hell for people attempting to attend in person. The third Sunday is Father's Day, so that's probably out, but what about the fourth Sunday?

Edited by braggtastic, Jun 8, 2012 @ 7:14 PM.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

• Interests:"Modern Family," "Mad Men," "30 Rock," mystery novels, old movies, tootin' around on my folding bike, dayhikes in Griffith Park, never met a hamburger or spicy tuna roll I didn't like. And vodka.

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 3:04 AM

If they ever want to increase the ratings for the telecast, I think they need to move the show to later in June. The second Sunday in June is a minefield of events, especially this year.

Actually, Saturday was the sports blitz day--Belmont, subway series, NBA, Hockey & Boxing. Sunday night is pretty clear sportswise, and I'm gonna guess there wasn't going to be too much overlap in those audiences anyway. Odds are those with HBO/AMC will happily dvr those shows to watch the Tonys live on the east coast, while we on the west coast can actually watch both True Blood and Mad Men before the tape-delayed Tonys even start. I suspect Broadway wants the Tonys on as early as possible in summer to generate interest for summer travelers to NYC. If anything, I wonder if the existence of "Smash" might boost ratings this year?

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

Half an hour away, folks! Almost time to make the popcorn! Am watching the red carpet arrivals on On Stage Live, via sattelite from NYC. Audra McDonald looked gorgeous!

Regarding the Smash factor, it might bring some curious tourists, but most people who are traveling to New York are already going anyway, and they usually see the big shows.

ETA: From the pre-show awards:

Once won Best Book of a musical
Newsies won Best Choreography

Edited by Streya, Jun 10, 2012 @ 6:52 PM.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Once won Best Book of a musical

Yay! I am such a big Glen Hansard/The Frames/Swell Season fan, so I am happy for the success of Once. Plus I loved Once the musical, but I am biased.

Edited by Misslindsey, Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:01 PM.

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Was that Alex Wong in the Newsies cast number???

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Was that Alex Wong in the Newsies cast number???

I believe it was. I know that he is in it along with SYTYCD's Jess (whom I can always pick out) and Evan (whom I can never pick out).

MuppetCoat

MuppetCoat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

Yes, that was Alex Wong.

Newsies is such a dumb adaptation, (IMHO, my parents loved it so ymmv) but it's worth the price of admission just for the dancing.

Also, NPH earned his entire salary with that "50 shades of gay" joke

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

Yes! 50 Shades of Gay was awesome.

Can't believe David Allen Grier lost.

And the Ghost number was a hot mess. Some things just shouldn't be 'musicalized.'

Edited by Streya, Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:42 PM.

mobia

mobia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

The Ghost number sounded awful. I wanted the ghosts of Patrick Swayze and Vincent Schiavelli to come in and destroy it.

I hate how with the Tonys, the winners are often people known from TV/movies rather than theatre stars, like Mike Nichols or Judith Light. They are talented, it just stands out when it's one super-famous person, four theater stars, and the celebrity wins.

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

True - but Michael McGrath won...? over David Allen Grier, which shocks me.

I was lucky enough to get to NYC and see a preview of Death of a Salesman, and Mike Nichols deserved that Tony. Overall wonderful production from a legend.

ETA: CHRISTIAN BORLE! One of the only good things about Smash. Andrew Garfield was gutting in DOAS, but I'm so happy for Christian.

Edited by Streya, Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:05 PM.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

I adore Ben Vereen. That and the number was just heavenly for this agnostic.

mobia

mobia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

True - but Michael McGrath won...? over David Allen Grier, which shocks me.

Good point. And the guy from Peter and the Starcatcher won. I just prefer it when theater stars win, or the categories are not dominated by people famous from movies, like movie stars doing Broadway and winning Tonys (Scarlett Johansson). I am sure everyone is talented and did great, it just shouldn't be monopolized by movie stars.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

Not to be unkind but good call not having Elena sing......

Excuse me while I shed a tear for Follies.

Edited by bosawks, Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:18 PM.

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I know, could they be more obvious? They worked Ricky, didn't they??

AW! Hugh Jackman and his wife are freaking adorable!

Edited by Streya, Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:35 PM.

GilvearSt

GilvearSt

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Not to be unkind but good call not having Elena sing......

So true. When Ricky Martin is the better lead singer in a musical, you're in trouble. And before tonight I hadn't seen any video of Jesus Christ Superstar, but I thought the Judas was weak. The casting for these iconic roles confuses me.

On the upside, Christian Borle winning a Tony makes me very happy.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

First official Les Miserables trailer? I mean, other than the raw one leaked online. Was that advertised as airing during the Tonys?

From what little we did hear from Elena Roger, I'm not a fan of her tone. But Ricky was very good, even though he can't match Antonio Banderas' edge.

Whoever dressed Josh Young for that Superstar number needs to be fired.

PopCultDiva

PopCultDiva

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

You can never go wrong with Gershwin!!!

You can never go wrong with Gershwin!!!

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

I was pulling for Celia but Judith Light was pretty kick-ass so I'm not complaining.

Judas' costume sort of made sense when seeing the show.

So does Audra win again?

I can't believe Sir Lancelot/Starbuck/Guy made me sniffle.