13-19: "Street Revenge" 2012.04.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

24 replies to this topic

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

From TV Guide:

After a series of rapes in a local neighborhood, a group of young vigilantes decide to work against neighborhood crime and the NYPD; when one of the vigilantes is attacked, the SVU team struggle to solve the case amidst the criticism of a reporter. Starring: Mariska Hargitay (Det. Olivia Benson), Danny Pino (Det. Nick Amaro), Kelli Giddish (Det. Amanda Rollins), Richard Belzer (Sergeant John Munch), Ice T (Det. Odafin "Fin" Tutuola), and Dann Florek (Capt. Don Cragen).

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

Amaro is an idiot.

Why exactly is the squad resident meddling reporter a Brit?

Rollins is ridiculously hot in that red leather(?) jacket.

I'm pretty sure what Benson did to the Asian perp is police brutality. No free shots, Benson, even if you really want them.

Edited by Mars477, Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:01 PM.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Huh. First time I saw any real partner chemistry between Amaro and Rollins, which was good since they got the bulk of the screen time tonight.

Good call to those who thought Maria was seeing a shrink.

I liked Rollins pulling Amaro back from Stuart at the end since she figured out right away that he was projecting his drama with Maria onto Stuart and Leslie's situation. (She didn't say it, but I could see it on her face.)

Like Olivia, but appreciated her being in the background this week.

Why exactly is the squad resident meddling reporter a Brit?

I actually thought he was going to be the perp. Didn't think it'd be Stuart at all.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that Inexplicably British Meddling Local News Reporter is the same Inexplicably British Meddling Reporter in the Romani episode ("Lost Traveler" or something like that?).

Also, the more I think about it, the more I wonder; Amaro's in a job where he needs to show empathy for victims of sexual assault, families of said victims, and so on. But he can't find a drop of empathy for his wife who's served X number of tours in the middle of a war zone?

Also, what does Cragen say to Rollins? "Talk to one of your rabbis"?

Edited by Mars477, Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:49 AM.

Nycnftm

Nycnftm

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:15 AM

wow that was baaaad. anyone recognize the suspect in the previews?

HarleyJane

HarleyJane

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Really, really baaaad.

That marriage is so over.

What's with the 'Oh- so Sainted One' beating up suspects (in quite a fakey fashion) and then being all beeotchy and harsh with a rape victim. Granted the woman was an idiot running around in a super-hero costume but she was laying in a hospital bed and had just been beaten up and raped. Where has the Big O's sensitivity training gone? I'm waiting for the repercussions in 1. . . . 2 . . . .3 . . .

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

So who actually raped all the women? The Asian guy, the restaurant owner, or the stuttering guy?
Olivia was harsh to that woman, true, but she wasn't actually raped, was she? This episode confused the shot out of me.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

So who actually raped all the women?

It was Stuttering Stuart, the "hero" known as 12-19. Andy Chen, the Asian twerp, was the one who was the copycat that got the black eye/bruised nose from Stuttering Stuart.

What's with the 'Oh- so Sainted One' beating up suspects (in quite a fakey fashion) and then being all beeotchy and harsh with a rape victim. Granted the woman was an idiot running around in a super-hero costume but she was laying in a hospital bed and had just been beaten up and raped. Where has the Big O's sensitivity training gone? I'm waiting for the repercussions in 1. . . . 2 . . . .3 . . .

As lame as that was and fake, that shocked me. Meaning, where was it all coming from? Because she had to run to cut him off while Finn chased Andy? Whatever.

I actually didn't have a problem with what Liv said to Leslie--because Leslie hadn't been raped. She lied about having had sex within the past 48 hours. She'd had sex with L&O alumni Mike Rispoli, who played Henry.

Was it just me or was anyone else totally distracted by the HUGE gap between Leslie's two front teeth? Lauren Hutton, she's not.

This crapfest better not try and use Batman in any future episodes or I will cut a bitch. Bad enough they stole Justice League.

I miss Elliot.

Edited by Scorpiosrule, Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:21 AM.

HarleyJane

HarleyJane

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

It was the stutter-er-er. Wasn't it ? Now maybe I'm confused too. After what felt like hours and hours of an episode I guess I'm not even sure if she was actually raped or not. The fact still remains that she believed she had been raped because Olivia had just told her so. At the very least she was a victim of a serious assault and had gotten her clock rung and been knocked unconscious with a brick. Irregardless Olivia believed her to be a rape victim and so her insensitivity at that moment was pretty jarring.<BR><BR>I can't decide who's more amusing running after a suspect -- Fin or Olivia?! Ice-T appears to have bad knees and Marish now has a total menopausal, chunky mom, lead-butt run. Now that Elliot isn't around to chase every perp they really should only utilize the young-uns like Amaro and Rollins to do the running because those other two are hilarious to watch. And poor Munch has been reduced to one or two lines as he lurches around the squadroom..

Edited by HarleyJane, Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:46 AM.

Brandon

Brandon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

Was that like a Cagney & Lacey script or something? Because the whole vigilantes being egged on by a reporter felt like something out of an 80s cop show.

Edited by Brandon, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:46 AM.

Nycnftm

Nycnftm

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

so amaro drove a police car to phili on his lunch break just to punch a guy?

Gatesgirl

Gatesgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I'm pretty sure what Benson did to the Asian perp is police brutality. No free shots, Benson, even if you really want them.

I have to respectfully disagree. She was apprehending a fleeing suspect who was actively fighting his arrest. She was defending herself as well subduing him. I re-watched that scene about 7 times and I can't see how anyone could find her in the wrong. It was shocking that she chose to slap him--I'll give you that.

I can't decide who's more amusing running after a suspect -- Fin or Olivia?! Ice-T appears to have bad knees and Marish now has a total menopausal, chunky mom, lead-butt run.

How could the two of them even catch up to that kid? God, I miss Elliot.

AddiePray

AddiePray

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

Truly bad.

It really bugged me that suddenly Cragen, who is the Captain after all, and has had a billion years of experience dealing with the brass and the media is all of the sudden too tongue-tied to speak to the media so they have to bring Olivia in to do it. ugh(eyeroll)

Agreed with the 80's bad copshow, vigilante storyline. Feels like it's been done 1,000 times before story.

Amaro is so, so much Stabler-lite.

I did kind of enjoy Mrs. Amaro throwin her hissy-fit in front of the squad though. That was fun. Everything else not so much.

Edited by AddiePray, Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:02 PM.

gumboot

gumboot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Well, I thought it was another not-bad episode. That could be because there were no what-has-this-got-to-do-with-sex-crimes developments, no soapboxing, and no Friends of Mariska guest-starring and taking over the show - diminished expectations? But the stuttering comic-book retailer villain was an awful stereotype.

OUCellogal

OUCellogal

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

I did kind of enjoy Mrs. Amaro throwin her hissy-fit in front of the squad though. That was fun. Everything else not so much.

Also fun was Munch's line. "That right there is why I stopped marrying Italian women." Love it.

gumboot

gumboot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

By the way, that reporter's British accent was not good. It lurched from Estuary English into Australian.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Italian? I thought Maria was Hispanic, just like Amaro.

Bri059

Bri059

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

This episode made realize how much I don't miss Elliot. I don't enjoy seeing the police get angry at perps but sometimes it's good to see traces of badass baby Benson. And no mention on Hayden, life is good.

I will take Amaro drama over Stabler drama any day.

Rollins and Benson had great hot warddrobe moments.

Irregardles

Irregardles

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Rollins and Benson had great hot wardrobe moments.

Totally! Great jackets and jeans. Though why go through the whole rigmarole of putting Rollins in a wig just for her to take a walk and rip it off in the car? I love undercover ops but let's give them some purpose.

Anyone notice when the kid faced off with Olivia he dropped into a karate pose? Everything about that was weird. The punching sounds were ridiculous.

I am getting a Rollins/Amaro hookup vibe and I do not care for it.

ScottLA

ScottLA

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

By the way, that reporter's British accent was not good. It lurched from Estuary English into Australian.

For what it's worth, Gavin Lee actually is a Brit. Of course, I don't know if that was his natural voice or not--maybe he's spent too long playing Bert in Mary Poppins.

BlondNotStupid

BlondNotStupid

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

You know the writers are getting lazy when they rip off character names and professions from sit-coms. Seriously? Your perp is a comic book store owner named Stuart? And people dressing up like the Justice League figure into a crime? You better hope Chuck Lorre doesn't watch this show 'cause I don't think he'll see this as a salute to "The Big Bang Theory". As Charlie Sheen can tell you, Lorre doesn't back down from a fight.

I miss seeing the court room part of the show.

Bri059

Bri059

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

People really have dressed up as superheros and fought crime in multiple cities:

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=12562715

celticann

celticann

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

from mars477
Also, what does Cragen say to Rollins? "Talk to one of your rabbis"?

I believe it is police jargon for mentor/advisor.

Edited by celticann, Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:32 AM.

wrlord

wrlord

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

" No, pretty much every profession uses it.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

I thought Cragen was her rabbi? That he personally recruited her to come to New York. it seems NYPD recruits veteran detectives from other cities for their "elite' detective units all the time. It makes more sense then the LAPD of The Closer where you start back at the beginning academy then patrol or come in as a Chief when a veteran officers moves to LA.