1-18: "Justice" 2012.04.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

124 replies to this topic

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Whether or not she intended it to happen, Victoria's pawns are caught in the middle of an insidious cover-up and have to pay the ultimate price when Emily discovers the identity of the mysterious man who murdered her father. Meanwhile, Declan's testimony marks the beginning of the end of his relationship with a self-destructive Charlotte.

That was awesome.

I did not forsee Emanda planting the sweatshirt in Goon's car. I actually applauded when that happened.

And poor Charlotte...what a sad road you are driving down...

Edited by djsunyc, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:03 PM.

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

All I am going to say is. The Grayson's know how to bring out the Bat Shit Crazy in a girl.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Emanda is a moron! She can accept that the Graysons are evil enough to frame her father for terrorism and treason; with him potentially receiving a death sentence if convicted; but it never occurred to her that the Graysons would be capable of murdering her father?

If my father were murdered in prison and I knew he was framed by the Graysons; my first instinct would be to think they did it.

Did anyone recognize the voice on the other end of the phone talking to Conrad?

Also, why not release all her incriminating recordings of the Graysons threatening the juror, threatening the henchman and setting up his murder, etc?

Edited by Bella, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:09 PM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I'm guessing she thought they already put him away forever and nobody believed his word so why kill him?

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

So, David Clarke is really likely dead. Sad Times. I am going to miss this show over the summer, I need my Emanda and Nolan fix. I think we might actually see Nolan get his highly directed rage on now that he knows that the Grayson's murdered the only kind mentor/father figure he ever had, this could be an interesting turn.

Watching the Graysons eat each other alive should be fun. What will Victoria do for pay back regarding the "Artiste",
Spoiler
. Was she in on having a hit put out on David Clarke in prison, or will she want Conrad very dead when she finds out?

I wonder if Declan is going to come between Charlotte and her dealer, again, if that's their redemption arc over the next season, or sooner?

ETA

I'm guessing she thought they already put him away forever and nobody believed his word so why kill him?

With this in mind, I don't think Victoria knows that Conrad (and Frank) arranged David Clarke's murder. It could be that this never turned up in any other conversation because it was strictly between Conrad, Frank, anonymous guy on the phone and the prisoner who pulled out the knife?

Edited by name234, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:16 PM.

HoneyB

HoneyB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Please tell me Jack didn't carry that bloody hoodie with him in a backpack all over Canada. Any two bit criminal knows you toss it in a dumpster or hide it in a bus locker. Conrad has Victoria and Emanda gunning for him now. You don't mess with a woman's father or her first love.

quarks

quarks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

Yowsers.

1. Oh, James Purefoy. I am still....not at all sure what you were doing on this show. I am sure I hate all of your paintings. But onto the better stuff.

2. You know, I'd like to jump on Daniel for doubting that Emily loves him, given that she hasn't dumped him pre or during trial, but, let's face it...I kinda share his doubts. So, wrong reasoning but quite possibly correct conclusion, Daniel.

3. See, Victoria? THAT'S how you tie up loose ends. Not by beating people up and threatening jury members. You just murder them. Go Conrad. Er.

4. I have to admire the way this show constantly finds new ways to make Victoria evil every week. This week I was torn between, "My daughter is in severe emotional trouble and abusing drugs so I'll just send her to the ex-boyfriend that she's still upset about" and threatening a cute little kid. Seriously, Victoria, work on the parenting skills. Just a little.

5. At least the housekeeper (maid? what was she) has pocketed a little cash from the madness. Hopefully she will move on to a safer job.

6. I admit: I didn't see the planting of the sweatshirt coming. Well done, Emanda, even if you underestimated the Greyson's response.

7. Setting up a guy AND murdering him in prison?????? TWICE?????? Well, I guess if it worked once....

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Any two bit criminal knows you toss it in a dumpster or hide it in a bus locker.

Emanda was dumb enough to bring the sweatshirt home with her. Daniel unexpectedly showed up and the police showed up too. Not very smart on her part. What was smart, was her making an impression of the henchman's keys when she beat him in the alley and was able to plant the sweatshirt in his car.

quarks

quarks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

Please tell me Jack didn't carry that bloody hoodie with him in a backpack all over Canada. Any two bit criminal knows you toss it in a dumpster or hide it in a bus locker. Conrad has Victoria and Emanda gunning for him now. You don't mess with a woman's father or her first love.

I thought this was the show's way of gently reminding us that Jack isn't very bright. I suppose he felt that it could help him clear Amily later, but given that nobody but Victoria seemed to be buying that theory anyway, even if Amily, unlike Hanged Thug, was actually there, I have to agree that he would have been better off dumping it somewhere.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

I get Emanda's reasoning; David Clarke was the most hated man in America and completely discredited, so it's most likely someone just killed him out of pure hatred. From her reasoning, the Graysons had already dealt with their loose end in her father so they were done with him. It was actually pretty stupid of the Graysons or maybe just Conrad, we'll see by Victoria's reaction in the next episode, to do so, because if they had been found out about Clarke's death then it implcates Conrad in everything. My guess is probably not so when she finds out that Conrad ran her first love out of town and killed the second one. She's going to be out for blood, as for Emanda everything burns now. She is no longer playing, she might screw over Daniel in pure spite now.

Also does anyone know if Amily comes back this season or if we're going to word on her fate?

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

In the pilot, in the flashback where Nolan greets Emanda when she leaves juvie, didn't Nolan tell her that her father died two weeks ago of a heart attack?

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

4. I have to admire the way this show constantly finds new ways to make Victoria evil every week. This week I was torn between, "My daughter is in severe emotional trouble and abusing drugs so I'll just send her to the ex-boyfriend that she's still upset about" and threatening a cute little kid. Seriously, Victoria, work on the parenting skills. Just a little.

My thoughts on that scene. Pimp much Victoria. Man how did that woman grow up? Wrong side of the tracks above a Thailand brothel.

BloggerAloud

BloggerAloud

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

I did find it hilarious that Declan initially thought it was just a random robbery of the place. Not like people haven't, I don't know, broken in and beat the crap out of his brother and now we know he just happens to have a bloody sweatshirt implicating himself being at the scene of the crime.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

"My daughter is in severe emotional trouble and abusing drugs so I'll just send her to the ex-boyfriend that she's still upset about"

I wasn't that charitable. I read it as "Your junkie ass fucked up my frame job to get your brother out of prison now go whore yourself to your peasant ex to get him to change his testimony or it's all your fault if Dainel's found guilty". When Charlotte asked how, seriously he knows they are trying to frame his brother, Victoria's response was "your a girl figure it out".

Remeber she had her favorite beat up in prison and she barely likes the second one.

Edited by dragonfirelance, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:29 PM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

In the pilot, in the flashback where Nolan greets Emanda when she leaves juvie, didn't Nolan tell her that her father died two weeks ago of a heart attack?

No. Nolan told Emanda that her father died six weeks prior to her release. He never indicated David's manner of death. The show revealed that her father was murdered in prison.

quarks

quarks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I wasn't that charitable. I read it as "Your junkie ass fucked up my frame job to get your brother out of prison now go whore yourself to your peasant ex to get him to change his testimony or it's all your fault if Dainel's found guilty". When Charlotte asked how, seriously he knows they are trying to frame his brother, Victoria's response was "your a girl figure it out".

Whatever the interpretation, it was still a hellishly shitty thing to do to her own daughter, who is abusing drugs and emotionally distraught for a reason. Sending her to Declan was just cruel.

While I'm on the subject, it's been seemingly at least a few weeks, if not months, and no one is trying to get help for Charlotte or get her into rehab?

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I don't know and I have been wondering ever since the re-broadcast of the scene in the recap show the week before last, Nolan referred to David Clarke (being knifed to death in prison) by saying " he passed away a few weeks ago" So the writers may be retconning this a touch or more in this episode. My recollection of the same scene from the pilot was something other than a violent death, and it felt different, liked they used different takes of the same scene in the pilot and the recap show.

Emily discovers the identity of the mysterious man who murdered her father.

Whatever I saw in the Pilot, Conrad and Frank's reference to having David murdered in prison came as a shock. But, in contrast to the descriptions we have seen for this episode, we didn't actually get a name for the fixer on the inside who arranged for the hit? Or did I miss it?

Oh, to acknowledge the comments about Victoria's parenting skills (the seduce Declan order was gag inducing), back to trying to turn your daughter into your mini me Victoria?

Charlotte was reading Mason Treadwell's book, I wonder when Charlotte will find out David was framed and inevitably that Conrad had her real father murdered. I don't know that her story is going to end well...

Edited by name234, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:43 PM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

This show really serves as a lesson to other showrunners. Make point A go to point B. Like someone mentioned above, Emanda making a copy of his car keys. Why? So she can plant the sweatshirt. And b/c of the great storytelling, there's no reason to show her doing it. You just reach a logical conclusion...

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Ah, never mind! So very wrong.

Edited by 2MuchTV, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:52 PM.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

Man I love this show! Conrad vs Victoria for the EVIL crown. I do also wonder how Nolan will react to learning Poppa Clarke had a hit ordered on him and that's how he actually died in prison. I want to like Jack, but boy is he dumb. How many more episodes?

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

I don't know and I have been wondering ever since the re-broadcast of the scene in the recap show the week before last, Nolan referred to David Clarke (being knifed to death in prison) by saying " he passed away a few weeks ago" So the writers may be retconning this a touch or more in this episode. My recollection of the same scene from the pilot was something other than a violent death, and it felt different, liked they used different takes of the same scene in the pilot and the recap show.

I didn't watch the recap, but I remember Nolan giving a cause of death, and it was more natural. I was shocked too when Frank mentioned having him murdered, and I guess this confirms it. It could be a retcon.

I don't think she brought it home with her--I looked when she arrived and she wasn't carrying anything, and she only had a little bag on her which the sweatshirt wouldn't have fit in

We get a shot of the hoodie in the open bag, during the confrontation and when the police came in.

Like someone mentioned above, Emanda making a copy of his car keys. Why? So she can plant the sweatshirt. And b/c of the great storytelling, there's no reason to show her doing it. You just reach a logical conclusion

But I thought she was shocked Jack still had the hoodie. I think otherwise she'd have done something about it earlier.

[

Edited by Bleu, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:53 PM.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

I always thought David was murdered, even from the Pilot. I got the impression that Nolan was trying to make it seem less awful by using the phrase passed away.

Very good episode. I still do not get the point of Artist Guy. At. All.

Conrad is so so evil. And Daniel -- why did he have to shove Emily like that? Now I want her to kick his ass.

For Christmas, I really want Nolan for my BFF. Pretty please.

twentythree

twentythree

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

Honestly, Emanda is the kind of person who plans for future possibilities so while I don't think she planned to plant the hoodie last week, she definitely knew she would be using that key in the future. I mean, the guy was working with Victoria, so there was no way Emanda wouldn't be using him. The fact that she was able to use it so quickly was just icing on the cake.

I did like the Daniel fakeout at the end, though. I really thought they were going to go there and I was gasping out loud. I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't go that way, but if Daniel were to have killed himself, then Emanda's connection to the family would be lost.

Edited by twentythree, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:59 PM.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

Very good episode. I still do not get the point of Artist Guy. At. All.

I thought he was pretty random too. But maybe it's like other posters have suggested; we get Conrad getting rid of him and getting the pawn killed in the same episode we get confirmation that he had David Clarke killed. So he could be there to help hammer in the parallels and piss off Victoria more. She was clearly getting some emotional relief from the painter.

And Daniel -- why did he have to shove Emily like that? Now I want her to kick his ass.

Yeah, it was upsetting. Though my anger comes with some pity. We see him drinking, and we see Charlotte drinking. Both children really react self-destructively fast.

Also, I think Emanda should have robbed something. I know she doesn't want to make the Porter family suffer more, but it was bound to look suspicious at least to Jack if only the hoodie was taken. Then again, she did this in a hurry, with little time to plan, and Jack would have found the missing hoodie suspicious anyway.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

ETA: Double post, sorry.

Edited by Bleu, Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:05 PM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

But I thought she was shocked Jack still had the hoodie. I think otherwise she'd have done something about it earlier.

She was shocked. She didn't know about the sweatshirt before she made the copy of the henchman's keys. I think she made them to use just in case.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

No. Nolan told Emanda that her father died six weeks prior to her release. He never indicated David's manner of death. The show revealed that her father was murdered in prison.

Are you certain that's the language that was used in the pilot, though, rather than the recap episode?

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

Are you certain that's the language that was used in the pilot, though, rather than the recap episode?

That's exactly what he said . No COD ,just a vague 'he passed away ' .Which then led to months of back and forth in the original thread about whether David with the help of some outside agency had faked his own death .

no22

no22

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

And Daniel -- why did he have to shove Emily like that? Now I want her to kick his ass.

I totally understand him for that. He was miserable right now of being accused of murder. Seeing Emanda together with Jack who had once fell for his girlfriend really killed him. Plus, Emanda had been avoiding his phone calls all night.

I did hope that Daniel would have accused Emanda of something other than having an affair. That would make Daniel a more interesting character to watch.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

From the pilot:

Nolan: Amanda Clarke.
Emanda: Who are you?
Nolan. Nolan Ross, a friend of your father's. Not exactly the little angel he described.
Emanda: My father hasn't seen me in 10 years.
Nolan: I'm sorry to be the one to tell you. He passed away. Six weeks ago. He wanted you to have something.
Emanda: What ever that is, I don't want it.
Nolan: Oh, no, no, trust me, you definitely do.
Emanda: My father was a murderer and a liar. So why would I trust you, huh?
Nolan: Cause, that's just what they want you to believe. Forget everything that you think you know, Amanda. Your dad was protecting you.
Emanda: From what?
Nolan: Open the box. Find out.

**Then Nolan talks about how David was the first person to believe in him and David invested his own personal money; and Amanda now has 49% of Nolan's company**