The L.A. Complex

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

324 replies to this topic

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

Didn't see a show thread for this show so I figured I start one. I loved the pilot. I didn't expect it to be so good, I decided to give a watch because I'm a Degrassi and Firefly fan. The characters are well developed for a pilot, they didn't go with the obvious cliches, making the popular guy a jerk and making the comic amazing. Also it was so cringingly realistic in a good way, dear god Raquel's at the casting agent trying to save the point but keep digging. Definitely coming back next week.

Also the scenes with the comics were the funniest bits of comedy I've seen on TV in a long time outside of Community or Happy Endings and probably ever on a teen/young adult drama.

allyw

allyw

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I like what I've seen so far. It's not the typical cw drama so I hope it does well and that I remember to watch it as I don't watch anything else on that channel

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

I really liked it too. I am a bad Canadian--instead of watching the show on MuchMusic, I decided to watch it once the CW airs it. Anyways, I knew it would be good when Abby readily accepted the E and then she and the tv star banter wittily and romantically over the morning after pill. I did notice that the CW bleeped some of Abby's dialogue. Not sure what was bleeped out.

And was that BLT as the music producer? He terrifies me.

DolfinWings

DolfinWings

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:30 AM

Wow, that was a pretty realistic portrayal of what people who are trying to break into the industry go through, with some dramatic license. I really enjoyed it.

I wonder if the reason why I like it, is because this is a Canadian show, with canadian producers, and I'm assuming canadian writers, so they don't have either a really harsh, jaded perspective about LA, or a really optimistic ideal about LA.

IMO This is leaps and bounds better than Smash, in which I find half the characters completely unbelievable and annoying, and most of the storylines useless.

I really hope this catches on.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:14 AM

I liked it, though I thought they went a little heavy on the drama for Abby. I'll see how things over the next few episodes.

greekmama

greekmama

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:59 AM

Liked the premier. Was kind of disappointed that they named her Abby instead of Manny. Anyone know the reason for this? Otherwise, it had a real Melrose feel to it. Even the cute guy that Abby slept with looked a bit like Thomas Calabro who played Michael Mancini.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

Liked the premier. Was kind of disappointed that they named her Abby instead of Manny. Anyone know the reason for this?

She's not supposed to be Manny. The character's name is Abby Vargas. That's not Manny's last name on Degrassi either.

Edited by Stalkmylife82, Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:42 AM.

pl86

pl86

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

The best new thing the CW has aired this season. Not that the competition was fierce but it was well done. Not ground-breaking and nothing we haven't seen before but competently and professionally put together and that's not damning with faint praise. I genuinely think it was good. I knew the show was not American when, one, female birth control even came up and two, the characters talked and dealt with it in a matter of fact way without turning it into an existential soul-searching crisis. Thank you, Canada!

I liked it, though I thought they went a little heavy on the drama for Abby.

Her problems wouldn't even raise an eyebrow on Degrassi!

Liked the premier. Was kind of disappointed that they named her Abby instead of Manny. Anyone know the reason for this?

They changed the character. It was originally written as a spinoff of Manny from Degrassi but it's someone else now. Here's an interview with Cassie Steele where she mentions the change and the differences between Manny and Abby (apart from the name):

http://blog.zap2it.c...-auditions.html

Edited by pl86, Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:45 AM.

Aunt Nette

Aunt Nette

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

I couldn't be farther from the desired demographic for this show, but I kind of enjoyed it!

I did notice that the CW bleeped some of Abby's dialogue. Not sure what was bleeped out.

I noticed one spot: up on the rooftop, after he offered to buy her the morning after pill, she thanked him for "breakfast and an abortion" -- they took out "abortion."

As a Paul F. Tompkins fan, the most unrealistic part of the show was him trying to play "mean." From what I've heard and seen, he's unusually generous and supportive.

pl86

pl86

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Middling ratings for the premiere. Not exactly surprising. A 13-episode second season has already been ordered up in Canada so it'll continue regardless of whether it survives on the CW.

90210 returned to the CW to after a month of repeats to a 0.6, which is down a tenth from the 0.7 its last original earned. The series premiere of The LA Complex drew a disappointing 0.3 adults 18-49 rating.

http://tvbythenumber...-poorly/130740/

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I guess they wanted a more ensemble show, and that's why it's not longer a Manny Santos spin-off? I almost did catch it, because I've dumped 90210 from my TiVo.

MaileSkye

MaileSkye

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

I think if it was a Manny spin-off, it would be a very different story. Manny already had a bit of success with Kevin Smith. I like that Abby is starting pretty much at the bottom. I think we'll get a richer, and darker story that way.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

So apparently the premiere set a new record low for the debut of a primetime drama on Network TV - I saw the figure of 646,000 viewers. It's a shame, I'd hoped this would be a success for Jewel.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

I wonder if it would have been better for them to save this for a summer kick-off?

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

I wonder if it would have been better for them to save this for a summer kick-off?

Yeah, it seems weird to be premiering a new show around this time.

pl86

pl86

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I don't think the CW had much flexibility on when to start the show. It only started airing in Canada three months ago in January 2012, after the CW's spring schedule was already set. And it would be unusual to premiere it in the summer when the broadcast networks, the CW included, only airs reality shows as counterprogramming to the new shows that start up on cable channels. Case in point, the CW has two reality shows, The Catalina and Breaking Pointe, starting at the end of May. And though an April start of a show is atypical, it's not unique - ABC started "Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt 23" two weeks ago.

Bell Media, the Canadian company that airs the show, has already ordered a second 13-episode season (the first season is only 6 episodes). The Canadian ratings haven't been stellar either. The first episode was broadcast on CTV and also carried on the MuchMusic channel and the audience was 351,000 and 60,000, respectively. The rest of the episodes were only on MuchMusic and the audience kept shrinking - from 87,000 viewers for the second episode to a finale with 22,000 viewers (not a typo). With Canadian ratings like that, I'm guessing the only reason the show was renewed was because of licensing and cost sharing with the CW. There's no way to sugarcoat the CW ratings but it really says more about the weakness of the network than the show. The CW has always been a niche network but the ratings for all their shows, even longstanding ones like Supernatural, have just fallen off the cliff this year. I like LA Complex but I don't think it would have been a big hit anywhere - too generic - but I don't think it would have gotten record lows if it had been on ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox. This dubious achievement is because it's on the CW.

I didn't realize this but the show is shot on the Degrassi backlot in Toronto. And one of the episodes is directed by Stefan Brogren a.k.a. Snake/Mr. Simpson from Degrassi.

Edited by pl86, Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:07 AM.

BuggieGirl

BuggieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

I couldn't be farther from the desired demographic for this show, but I kind of enjoyed it!

Same here. I really liked it. Very Melrose-y (the original). However, it did make me so happy that I moved away from LA and the film/tv industry there. Lots of bits were pretty true to what I experienced (the intern, heh).

I noticed one spot: up on the rooftop, after he offered to buy her the morning after pill, she thanked him for "breakfast and an abortion" -- they took out "abortion."

Interesting, I was wondering what she said there. I wonder if they bleeped it because the morning after pill doesn't cause abortions or because the CW doesn't want to say the word abortion. I'll be optimistic and assume it's the first.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

I meant to check this out a few months back, mainly due to Jewel Staite. Maybe I'll give it a try now. I'm surprised that CTV renewed it given the disastrous ratings. They must be desperate to fill their Canadian content quotas, and didn't want to spend money developing something new.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

I couldn't figure out why the dark haired girl (not Abby, or as I'll always call her, Manny) looked so familiar. Then I found out it was Jewel Staite who used to be on Disney Channel's "Flash Forward" in the late 90s. Are they all supposed to be early 20s? She comes across much older even though I know she is a bit older IRL.

I've seen some of the clips from later episodes on Youtube so I'll stay tuned to see where Abby and Tariq's storylines lead.

Edited by prmami, Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:00 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

I think Jewel Staite, Kaylee always to me, is there to represent an older generation. Even if they do make it the fall backwards is just around the corner.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

Yeah, I got the sense that the dark-haired actress was in her 30s (maybe mid-30s) since she was being treated as this "over the hill" former star.

I enjoyed the show - I'm a big Degrassi fan, so it was great to see (not) Manny Santos again. I always thought it was odd that Cassie hadn't been tapped to headline a series while (IMO) less charismatic actresses like Shenae and Nina have "crossed over."

MaileSkye

MaileSkye

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I think Jewel Staite, Kaylee always to me, is there to represent an older generation. Even if they do make it the fall backwards is just around the corner.

I agree. I kept trying to think of an actress comparable to her. Someone who was on a hit show about 5 years ago, and hasn't done anything of note since. A show that probably got a lot of press at the time, but doesn't run in syndication.

I'm also not sure what to make of her character. Is her bitterness a natural result of her failure? Or is her attitude problem the reason why she's not able to get work?

Edited by MaileSkye, Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:08 PM.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Like some others here, I tuned in for Jewel Staite and it was pretty fun. But I'm not surprised that the show didn't debut well. If I hadn't accidentally paid attention during the ads run during Ringer and seen a promo two week ago, I wouldn't even realize it was airing.

Speaking of that promo, my immediately thought other than "Kaylee!" was, it gonna be Melrose Place meets Fame LA. I wasn't wrong.

I agree that Jewel Staite's character is meant to be playing true to her age, i.e. 30 ish. I get the impression she was on a reasonably popular show for a couple of years which was her first big break and she assumed it was always that easy. I'm guessing her show was probably cancelled 4 or 5 years ago based on the fact that it sounded like Abby's character was a pre/early teen watching her show.

pl86

pl86

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

I'm also not sure what to make of her character. Is her bitterness a natural result of her failure? Or is her attitude problem the reason why she's not able to get work?

I took it as both. Frustrating at being pass over as younger unknowns get roles breeds the hostility which of course only makes it harder to get roles as people avoid the palpable desperation. I thought her performance in the premiere was one of the best work she's done. I wasn't a huge fan of her character on Firefly and the way she portrayed her and her character on Stargate Atlantis was nothing home to write about. Here, she was unpleasant and obnoxious, but you still understood where it was coming from. Good stuff.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

This episode wasn't as good as the pilot, but still good. Plus it's still fun having Candian TV star sightings, tonight Lily from Radio Free Roscoe. The rapper storyline was good, and I got the vibe with them starting at the strip club. Alice is fun and pragmatic and I like that all the characters are realistic and practical about the show, no complete naive idiots which is refreshing. However, I need the comic to be good so I can root for him and not just want to him to keep being good friends to everyone.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

Honestly, they ruined the ending surprise because I kept seeing quick flashes of two black males kissing during the commercials for the show so I knew where that one was going.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

I'm still willing to give this show a chance (though based on the ratings, I may have to watch anything after the initial order on Netflix or something - .4, ouch), but I'm not really sure what to think about this show yet.

For instance, I'm not sure I like the direct and repeated rivalry set-ups for Raquel and Abby on both the professional and romantic front, particularly if Abby is going to win in both areas. It was just a bit much to have Connor blow Raquel off on the chance at spending time with Abby and then to have Abby get the part too. I realize the latter was for dramatic purposes so that they could show Raquel's agent blowing smoke while Abby gets the part, but still.

mspetite27

mspetite27

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

stalkmylife, I had a feeling that Tariq was gay in the 1st episode. When they were in the strip club I knew for sure. And when they went back to that rapper's house, I said that this is going to turn into one of those down low story lines. I knew for sure when he put on the record before they even kissed. This whole story was predictable. I don't know if I should get used to this show because I hear the ratings are low. They probably won't bring back my shows Ringer or Hart of Dixie. Good for Abby for getting the part! Although I also thought that would happen too.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

I agree that Jewel Staite's character is meant to be playing true to her age, i.e. 30 ish.

At least according to IMDB, the actress was born in June 1982. She's 29. I view her character as kind of like Claire Danes would be if she had never found success beyond My So Called Life, i.e. where her first big role got a lot of attention, but then she just petered out. (And no, I don't mean she is literally Claire Danes, as Claire Danes has been very successful.)

Edited by txhorns79, May 2, 2012 @ 8:55 PM.

MaileSkye

MaileSkye

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

I've become slightly fascinated with Raquel. She's at an awkward age for Hollywood. She's too old for a lot of the parts that she would want, and too young for the next waves of roles. Sitcoms skew a bit more in her age range, but we haven't really gotten a hint that she's funny. The fact that she's auditioning alongside a girl seven years her junior (going by the actress's ages) says a lot. She wants to play the recent college graduate. The parts that she would be the right age for tend to go to the actresses who have already made a name for themselves. She wants her usual rate for a guest star role, and loses it to the newcomer who will work for peanuts.

I can see her story going one of two ways. The comeback kid through that independent film, or crash and burn.

Before Tariq and the rapper kissed, I made the comment that I hadn't seen sexual tension that thick since Clark and Lex (Smallville).