3-17: "Dance with Somebody" 2012.04.24 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

244 replies to this topic

SinkWriter72

SinkWriter72

Fanatic

• Interests:Music, movies, reading (and writing) fiction. To quote director Steven Soderbergh: "I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music -- anybody who spends part of their day sharing their experience with us. I think this world would be unlivable without art ..."

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Lea can do subtle whereas it seems Darren has to act out all of his lyrics.

I've seen YouTube clips of Darren performing. He can do subtle.

But I think Darren playing Blaine might not be subtle. (And sometimes I think he does that intentionally. I've watched interviews with him where he has said that he's not the 'showman' performer that Blaine is.)

Edited by SinkWriter72, Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:41 PM.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

I've seen YouTube clips of Darren performing. He can do subtle.

But I think Darren playing Blaine might not be subtle. (And sometimes I think he does that intentionally. I've watched interviews with him where he has said that he's not the 'showman' performer that Blaine is.)

Taken to acting thread.

erilyn

erilyn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

Looks-wise (not personality), Chandler reminded me of Toby from Dawson's Creek (one of Jack's love interests, who was more interesting than whiny Jack from what I recall).

DropEdge

DropEdge

Channel Surfer

• Interests:I carry a Sharpie with me so I can sniff it when I stress. My bra size remains the same no matter how much weight I gain or lose. I will kick your ass six ways from Sunday if you dare to play Trivial Pursuit: 90s Edition with me. It took a Masters in religion, a 75-page thesis on a pop culture Christ-figure, and a stint in the United Methodist Candidacy for Ordination program for me to realize I was a humanist at heart. I have more degrees than a pot of boiling water, which makes me unemployable in Arkansas. I eat a bowl of steel cut oats every morning for breakfast and drink a glass of buttermilk every night before going to bed. When I get nervous, I quiz myself on world capitals. I watch too much television.<br /><br />I'm okay with all that.

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

Looks-wise (not personality), Chandler reminded me of Toby from Dawson's Creek (one of Jack's love interests, who was more interesting than whiny Jack from what I recall).

I thought Chandler looked like Where's Waldo actually decided to hide by foregoing the red-striped shirt and dyeing his hair.

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

I've been spending too much time trying to figure out which Muppet Kurt sounded like during "I Have Nothing." At first I thought Elmo, but now I'm leaning more toward Prairie Dawn.

Also, Kurt's "I had weekly solos before you got here Blaine" comment is an interesting re-write. First of all, no you didn't. Second, if by "weekly solos" you mean elaborately choreographed, costumed, and instrumentally backed-up "assignments" performed to the 12 members of your glee club or to an empty auditorium... then who is stopping you from doing that?

Man do I feel bad for that jazz ensemble and that poor, old piano man who are at the bek-and-call of these narcissists and their emo needs.

Edited by Pleasesendpants, Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:57 AM.

Biers

Biers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

Apart from Artie (and Joe who doesn't count), everyone in that choir room when Blaine sang INRBIO has either cheated or been the other party involved in cheating.

Actually Artie's been cheated on twice, once by Tina and again by Brittany.

Which is what I meant. Artie's been cheated on, but he's never cheated or helped someone else to cheat.

Given the tendency for performances on Glee not to have anything to do with anything, I'm not reading too much into it, just reveling in its total ridiculousness. I hoped the WTF face that Dianna was making at one point meant she was confused why those words were falling from her mouth when her character has been such a big Cheaty McCheaterson.

yellowpride

yellowpride

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

Man do I feel bad for that jazz ensemble and that poor, old piano man who are at the bek-and-call of these narcissists and their emo needs.

I'd tack the Cheerios on to that list, since they seem to be perpetually available as mute back-up dancers. Just think about how much time they must spend learning choreography for a club they're not even in.

MiniShrink

MiniShrink

Fanatic

• Interests:Guitar, music, literature, chemistry, general nerdery

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Biers: I hoped the WTF face that Dianna was making at one point meant she was confused why those words were falling from her mouth when her character has been such a big Cheaty McCheaterson.

I was hoping for an "oh, shit" look from Quinn when Blaine dedicated the song to "anyone who's ever been cheated on". Or for Finn and Sam to narrow their eyes at her, though they're guilty of it to some degree too. Sure, she hasn't done anything lately, but it would've still been hilarious, if not a tad harsh given the current state of her life.

Heyerchick

Heyerchick

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Second, if by "weekly solos" you mean elaborately choreographed, costumed, and instrumentally backed-up "assignments" performed to the 12 members of your glee club or to an empty auditorium... then who is stopping you from doing that?

The writers.

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Sebastian's comments were probably not family friendly, because he's slimy

Also, Kurt knew about Blaine texting Sebastien, and Blaine had no idea about Kurt and Chanandler Bong.

SinkWriter72

SinkWriter72

Fanatic

• Interests:Music, movies, reading (and writing) fiction. To quote director Steven Soderbergh: "I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music -- anybody who spends part of their day sharing their experience with us. I think this world would be unlivable without art ..."

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

LOL. That's Mrs. Chanandler Bong.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

Hopefully Mrs Chanandler Bong gets to realize the dream and go to NYU and doesn't end up as a transponster.

I'd tack the Cheerios on to that list, since they seem to be perpetually available as mute back-up dancers.

I was so happy to see the Cheerios in action. I think this season has been sorely lacking on them. They were in the "Girls Run the World" number, and in this seasons Blaine solo 1/943280548 and then apparently joined the TTones, but we didn't really see them do any numbers in Cheerios outfits. And we haven't seen any rehersals either. I think in this week's number they were very S1 Cheerios.

Wonder if we'll ever see the football club again. More than half of the Glee boys are in that team.

Edited by a finn gleek, Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:51 PM.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Sebastian's comments were probably not family friendly, because he's slimy

Also, Kurt knew about Blaine texting Sebastien, and Blaine had no idea about Kurt and Chanandler Bong.

In "Michael Jackson" Kurt appears surprised to discover that Blaine and Sebastian talked by phone. Kurt even asks Blaine "How often to you talk?" It looks to me like Kurt was out of the loop.

And in this episode Kurt spells it out:

"you would text Sebastian all the time. You would call him, even."

Edited by kineticzo, Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:07 PM.

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

Glee sometimes seems a bit fuzzy regarding its own internal chronology. For example, I don't think Kurt is supposed to have known about Blaine communicating with Sebastian while it was going on, but the way they talk about it in Emma's office, it's as if it continued to take place even after the Slushy of Death, perhaps as late as a few days ago. Just as they talk about Sam and Mercedes breaking up, which did indeed happen after their session with Emma a few weeks before; however, they have since made up thanks to the combined power of disco and the Web (unless another break-up happened off-screen since).

Edited by MGaboriau, Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:04 PM.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

then who is stopping you from doing that?

Well the boys hardly ever include Kurt in their numbers anymore. They seem to have replaced him with Blaine.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

And let's hope Mrs. Chanandler Bong never has to go to Yemen because of Kurt.

It sucks that, once again, Kurt gets left out on the 'bro hang out' in the locker room. I can't even fanwank that it's because they all play a sport together because unless Blaine has suddenly joined football or basketball or whatever the sport of the season is for them, he and Artie did not get invited and they didn't get goody bags. I know those are probably the most athletic guys on the team but we got ripped off. We didn't get to see Puck and Kurt interact and we haven't...have they actually ever had a scene with just the two of them?

And after a few days of thinking, I am wondering why they decided to break up Sam and Mercedes. Actually, I'm wondering when they actually made it official. They kissed in the last episode (and I'm pretty sure that was filmed before this episode, or at least written before this episode) and suddenly they're on the outs again? Um, unless they plan to bring Shane and Mercedes back together or have Sam get a new love interest in the next couple of episodes, I don't really get why they'd have them break up or whatever, unless Blaine was misinformed. Though doubtful as I'm pretty sure the two never glanced at each other once and had one snippy brief dialogue together.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

My biggest issue with this episode though, was the Whitney Worship. I don't dislike Whitney or her music, but NONE of the teens I know ( and I know a bunch of theater/geek kids who are great) really care that much about Whitney Houston. I mean, they know who she was and all and maybe recognize some of her songs, but she is just COMPLETELY not relevant to any modern teenagers I know.

I know the "assignments" are club-wide, but they're usually targeted to only a few specific members at a time. In this case, I definitely thought it was supposed to be for divas by divas - Rachel, Kurt, and Mercedes would definitely be familiar with Whitney's catalog, and Santana being in that mix doesn't really strike me as odd either. The rest of ND I'm assuming would be much less familiar and would either get the skinny on Whitney from Rachel/Kurt/Mercedes or do their own research in order to participate. I assume that's how it is with most of their assignments, especially with things like disco or showtunes that really play to niche audiences rather than teenagers at large.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Well the boys hardly ever include Kurt in their numbers anymore. They seem to have replaced him with Blaine.

The irony being in both "The Spanish Teacher" and "Heart" that Kurt is included in the boy numbers when Blaine is MIA from the slushy from Hell..

Once Alpha gay Blaine is back, Kurt is gone from the boy numbers..it's hilarious.

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:01 AM

I don’t even know where to begin … oh yes I do … in an episode where Naya gets three songs, Lea two, Amber two, Chris two, Darren gets a solo, Dianna and Glee Project kid get a duet, and even freakin’ Heather (HEATHER people!) Jenna gets nada, zippo,zilch, nothing.

The last line I remember Jenna speaking this season was during the West Side Story episode, and that was back in....December somewhere? I think even BECKY has had more lines than she's gotten!

Speaking of character sidelines, where's Sue been this season?I think she's been in half the episodes this year, and while I realize they've softened her up a lot, that doesn't mean she should be shoved to the sides entirely. Unless Jane Lynch has been busy with other projects that I'm unaware of, since I don't keep up with Glee news.

This episode fell flat, though. Like other posters have pointed out, most teens today don't care that much about Whitney Houston. She was considered a joke when I was in high school almost a decade ago.

Also, Kurt and Blaine remembering Whitney by watching "Being Bobby Brown"? Really? For anyone that missed that low point in reality TV, it's all about Bobby Brown after one of his stints in jail, and most of his and Whitney's conversations together that I remember off the top of my head involved poop. I'm not making that up. And while they're out at dinner, no less. It was hilarious (for lack of a better term) in a trainwreck sort of way, but not something I'd bring up as a tribute her memory. That bugged me more than Kurt's blatant stupidity about what constitutes cheating.

On the upsides, I liked the moments between Rachel/Santana, Puck and the boys in the locker room and the fact that Rachel/Finn upcoming nuptuals (or lack thereof, I hope to God) got zero mentions.

fireangel611

fireangel611

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:01 AM

I thought this was a great episode (if you ignore Quinn/Joe). I enjoyed all the musical performances (except for Quinn/Joe) and finally Klaine get a story after, a what, half a season/ 6months drought? I was incredibly worried about it, I didn’t want third party drama (because Glee’s record with them is terrible) and I was worried the boys would act out of character and do something horrible and irredeemable.

But it turned out to be a great story for them, it was believable, they acted in character, I could understand both POVs, they resolved it, and Kurt got to do something WRONG. Hallelujah!

I have never loved Kurt more than after this episode, this is the Kurt I’m craving to see. Because the Kurt of On My Way was horrible, I’m still in semi-denial the writers went there for his character and entangled him in that suicide plot with a tonne of problematic messages. I hope the Kurt who is The Important Gay Message Preacher, half disguised as Chris Colfer is dead and buried and never to be seen again. Let him be a teenager boy, don’t put him on a pedestal who takes the high road and counsels troubled gay kids. Allow him to mess up and do teenage immature things.

I loved that Kurt did something douchey, made mistakes and actually hurt Blaine. (He made him cry! Multiple times!) Great drama. I don’t think he’s aware of how much he can hurt Blaine. Their bedroom scene was fantastic (my favourite scene of the episode and also the second time in history Klaine have been allowed to be in a private location alone). It was so nice to see them fight, because god I’ve been sick of them always making cute heart eyes and tooth sweetening smiles at each other. Great acting in that scene. A very heartbreaking moment for Blaine, and Kurt is typical Kurt by instantly putting up his wall and going defensive. Just a total lack of communication from both ends.

Their hug in Emma’s office was so sweet, and yet also threw me off because I expected a kiss. Kurt was freakin’ looking at Blaine’s lips. SIGH. It’s amazing that Klaine can get their shit sorted in one episode and Finchel still can’t after 3 seasons.

Also loved the Hummelberry scene. I love how Rachel is around Kurt. She enjoys herself, feels comfortable talking about anything with him (come on, they were talking about sexting!), they’re both on equal footing as mutual friends (unlike Faberry where it feels like Rachel is wanting her approval and feels like she needs to win the friendship of the popular cheerleader) and she’s not afraid to call Kurt out on his questionable behaviour. Kurt and Rachel have a great friendship and I love seeing them interact like this. It’s a pity the spinoff isn’t happening. It would’ve been so fun to see these two taking over NY by storm.

I’ve come to terms with the lesbian bed death for Klaine. It’s obviously the writers screwing with them because they can’t write in any PDA, so they turn their own goddamn problem into a plot point. (Curse you RIB) But in-universe it shows that for Kurt and Blaine, sex is more than just the physical. Blaine not only withdraws from Kurt emotionally, but also sexually. He doesn’t want sex with Kurt if he’s not connecting with Kurt anymore. So…. I like it. A refreshing dynamic for a couple when we have couples like Brittana who had sex when they weren’t even dating, and that it’s better ‘without feelings’

Loved Blaine’s song, I thought it was a justified reaction and it was hilarious to watch everyone’s faces as they all gave Kurt looks of disbelief. It obviously wasn’t nice of Blaine to air their dirty laundry, but it’s Glee club, they always do, so Klaine is not immune. Kurt’s faces during the song made me laugh.

Loved the Brittana duet. I know Hemo’s voice isn’t the best, but it was a fun energetic number with great choreography.

I think both Blaine’s song and Brittana’s song did better than expected, coming in the top 3 songs of this episode on itunes. It shows the audience respond better to songs with good visuals and both songs had that. My top priority is that each performance entertains me when I WATCH it as opposed to having perfect vocals. I’m glad both these entertaining upbeat performances are being rewarded by being more successful than expected.

Rachel/Santana was so forced. Another attempt to get Santana tied in with the trio. Heh. First Finn through her outing, then Kurt through inserting her in the Kurt/Blaine/Sebastian/Warblers drama, and now surprise surprise, setting her up with Rachel. Pezberry worries me because it feels like Faberry 2.0 (a less worse version thankfully). The one good thing is that Naya is a much better actor than Dianna, (she can also do comedy), and I want Lea to always be paired up with the best actors.

Quinn/Joe is just offensive. Is it such a crime that an ambitious girl who’s about to go to Yale can also be single? And what’s with the assumption that Quinn would want to have sex with him anyway? Joe goes to Sam about sex advice, um, hello? You’re not even dating her yet, and who says she’ll want you and your magical Christian penis? And if they’re running out of stories for Quinn by giving Reality Project Winner who can’t act something to do, why not make up a story about Quinn forging a new friendship with someone in ND.

Bonus points for no Sue this episode and no Finchel drama. This is the Finchel I like, keep them together and cute in the background.

Overall an entertaining 42 minutes of television. Keep up the good work Glee.

Once Alpha gay Blaine is back, Kurt is gone from the boy numbers..it's hilarious.

I don't find it hilarious. The alpha gay stuff is offensive if they don't address it. Noting the problem with a throwaway line doesn't do squat. Kurt makes a meta reference that he doesn't sing as much anymore now that Blaine's around. But I bet in the remaining episodes they're not going to solve this problem.

Edited by fireangel611, Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:04 AM.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:40 AM

I loved that Kurt did something douchey, made mistakes and actually hurt Blaine. (He made him cry! Multiple times!) Great drama. I don’t think he’s aware of how much he can hurt Blaine. Their bedroom scene was fantastic (my favourite scene of the episode and also the second time in history Klaine have been allowed to be in a private location alone). It was so nice to see them fight, because god I’ve been sick of them always making cute heart eyes and tooth sweetening smiles at each other. Great acting in that scene. A very heartbreaking moment for Blaine, and Kurt is typical Kurt by instantly putting up his wall and going defensive. Just a total lack of communication from both ends.

The one great thing about that whole fight scene is it showed how obstinate Kurt can be. ON an intellectual level, I could side with Kurt, what he did wasn't cheating, in the context of all the Sebastian crap it wasn't that bad. For all that, Kurt of course knew he was flirting, (and let's use some common sense, if you're flirting with someone else of course you don't want your significant other to know, so his telling Rachel he wasn't going to tell Blaine about the texts made sense) even if it wasn't technically *cheating*.

The worst thing he did IMO was once it was plain how devastated Blaine was, Kurt stuck to his guns practically to the end denying any responsibility with making his boyfriend feel like shit. It was awe-inspiring.

Reminded me of Blaine's "sorry if I'm being spontaneous" in the date rape scene (JUST KIDDING!!) from the First Time in deflecting blame.

Kurt remained defiant and on one level "I have nothing" while saying he was sorry was also an almost defiant, angry anthem to Blaine. Kurt, Kurt, Kurt.....once again walls as high as the Andes..

I don't find it hilarious. The alpha gay stuff is offensive if they don't address it. Noting the problem with a throwaway line doesn't do squat. Kurt makes a meta reference that he doesn't sing as much anymore now that Blaine's around. But I bet in the remaining episodes they're not going to solve this problem.

Well it's either find it hilarious or grit your teeth.
Glee thinks it's "cute" when it meta winks at the mess it created (here Tina, talk about how you don't get any songs to sing) and basically tells the audience 'screw you, we've addressed what we've done what are you going to do about it.'
The thing is they openly are acknowledging that they slam Kurt down to make his boyfriend look better and more desirable. You either weep at that point or just laugh at their insanity and don't take them serious anymore.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:51 PM.
Adjusted quote tags

fireangel611

fireangel611

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

The worst thing he did IMO was once it was plain how devastated Blaine was, Kurt stuck to his guns practically to the end denying any responsibility with making his boyfriend feel like shit. It was awe-inspiring.

Reminded me of Blaine's "sorry if I'm being spontaneous" in the date rape scene (JUST KIDDING!!) from the First Time in deflecting blame.

Yes, I thought that was his biggest mistake too. He didn't calm Blaine or sound apologetic or regretful or anything. When Blaine calls him out for the texts (which Kurt deep down KNOWS is not right) he fights back. This is why I think Blaine's pissed off cheating song was justified. If Kurt had acted apologetic in the bedroom, and Blaine still performed that song it would be inappropriate and over the top. But as it stands, Kurt wasn't apologetic, stubbornly refused to see how he could be wrong, & didn't care that his behaviour caused Blaine to be incredibly upset, so *shrugs*, he deserves a nice little smack down in Glee club as far as I'm concerned. And for my own selfish reasons, pissed off Kurt is highly entertaining to me, so I enjoyed the bitch faces he was throwing Blaine during his song. (Some great acting by Chris - love it)

And making a parallel to the car scene in The First Time is very accurate. I thought Blaine's biggest mistake that night wasn't forcing himself on Kurt when Kurt didn't want it. His biggest mistake imo was turning the tables on Kurt when Kurt called him out for his behaviour and failing to realise his bad actions and how they made Kurt upset. Instead of apologising he lashed out. Hard. Tut tut.

I'm very surprised that when the writers do write for Klaine they end up with some pretty good stories. Well, we've only ever had 2, but so far 2 great plots that I thoroughly enjoyed. Perhaps it's because they never bother with Klaine and spend all their time on Finchel (and Wemma) so when they're forced to give Klaine something once every blue moon it turns out to be surprisingly well written (for usual Glee standards) since they're not exhausted with them.

However the background Klaine stuff is not well written, such as dropping some of their stories with problematic consequences or the subtle portrayal that Blaine is the 'alpha gay', the 'better type of gay', not letting Kurt sing as much as Blaine etc etc

The thing is they openly are acknowledging that they slam Kurt down to make his boyfriend look better and more desirable.

The irony is that outside the Glee universe the writers treat as Kurt the 'better' one because he's the one with all the plots and screentime, Kurt is the one who's a lead character, not Blaine. Blaine just sings and sings and sings.

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

But it turned out to be a great story for them, it was believable, they acted in character, I could understand both POVs, they resolved it

I believe one of the reasons it worked so well (besides the writing and the acting) it that the writers gave this plot all the room necessary to play out as fully as possible. According to Glee's Standard Operating Procedure, the couple should have reconciled right after singing to each other, through the Magic of Song which solves all problems; this is how the tension with Cooper was resolved in a heartbeat. But not this time; Kurt and Blaine were still at odds and only through talking and explicitely stating what was the source of their problems did they finally resolve their differences, for the time being at least. This made the plot and its resolution all the more satisfactory to me because enough screen time was devoted to it and we were allowed to actually see it develop and conclude, in all of its major phases instead of leaving crucial parts off-screen as has often been the case.

It helped of course that the story did not have to be shoved in cut-up bits between repetitive Finchel moments. It would be pleasant if the show afforded the same treatment to other characters once in a while, like Mike-Tina, instead of rushing their occasional plotlines as usually happens. It may also be that RIB felt it necessary to concentrate as much on Klaine in order to set up their dynamics to fit into what they are planning for next season. But I may be giving them too much credit in assuming they can be so forward-thinking. ;-)

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

This made the plot and its resolution all the more satisfactory to me because enough screen time was devoted to it and we were allowed to actually see it develop and conclude, in all of its major phases instead of leaving crucial parts off-screen as has often been the case.

What I especially appreciate is that at some point, we got to see that the boys actually were listening to one another and you saw the moment when the lights flashed over their heads and they got where the other was coming from. It wasn't easy for Blaine to acknowledge that he had been deliberately shutting Kurt out (which was the source of all their tension) and acknowledged that the Sebastian situation had gone on longer than it should have (due partly to his behavior). They reached the moment where they both could acknowledge the things that they did that hurt one another. We sometimes get these emotionally honest moments in the show where you actually see things really shift for the better between two characters.

It's different with Rachel and Finn, where they tend to just gloss over their issues. They don't really deal with anything. They explode on a semiregular basis, then kiss and make up without really dealing with the issues that lead up to the explosion.

realwatcher

realwatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

I loved this episode. I think there will be a lot tears in the upcoming episodes. The one thing I have learned from watching this show for 3 years is [that I] have to suspend reality. It is a comedy and [so I take things] with a grain of salt. [I don’t] expect it to be real— [I just] love it!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:54 PM.
Boards on boards

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

One thing I did appreciate about this episode was that they were creative with (at least a few of) the arrangements of the songs and not just mimicking the originals, from the beautiful "How Will I Know" to the more hi-NRG "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" to the more funky take on "So Emotional," which is probably the first time I enjoyed that song (OK, make that the second, after this immortal rendition from the legendary The WB's Superstar USA). And I liked the use of the Thunderpuss remix of "It's Not Right But It's OK" as the basis for Blaine's rendition. I wish they gave Kurt "All at Once" to sing instead of the horribly over-covered "I Have Nothing," but I guess RIB couldn't resist doing their own version of that old chestnut even though they gave it to the wrong singer/character.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 2:08 AM

And I liked the use of the Thunderpuss remix of "It's Not Right But It's OK" as the basis for Blaine's rendition

Unfortunately Darren didn't have the vocal chops to pull the number off. Plus they give him the thunderpus remix but give him Whitney's music video desk...at least they didn't give him Whitney's leather bustier.

Coco2

Coco2

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

My biggest issue with this episode though, was the Whitney Worship. I don't dislike Whitney or her music, but NONE of the teens I know ( and I know a bunch of theater/geek kids who are great) really care that much about Whitney Houston. I mean, they know who she was and all and maybe recognize some of her songs, but she is just COMPLETELY not relevant to any modern teenagers I know.

So much this! I agree with someone up-post who said that they could buy that the divas would know and adore Whitney, and I hear that. But as a middle school teacher, I can say that when Whitney Houston died, my students were like, "Who?" And these were kids in NJ, where Ms. Houston was from. A state whose governor flew its flag at half-mast in her honor. They had no clue and were not at all affected by her death. The fact is, this show isn't created by people very in touch with today's teens. So while I can accept that some of the Glee kids would be very familiar with Whitney's catalog than others, most high school students don't know her. She hasn't done very much in their lifetimes. She was a big part of my childhood but I am a child of the 80s. So, yeah, I agree that I found it to be kind of unrealistic, but I didn't mind a Whitney episode. The music was good.

The plots continue to be stupid. I didn't get the whole Quinn and Christian guy (I forget his name) issue. How is him liking her against his Christianity, unless he has committed to not dating until he is ready for marriage? Why does dating someone equate to "sins of the flesh"? It just makes no sense to me.

However, I have to give props for some decent continuity. Thank you, whichever writer felt the need to throw in, when Kurt was accusing Blaine of not making him feel good and special, a line in which Blaine says, "I switched schools to be with you" (or something close to that). They almost never acknowledge stuff like that on this show, so I have to get them props for that. That is really, really huge. And agree with everyone who says the issue is that Kurt didn't apologize to Blaine when Blaine found the texts. If he had, Blaine wouldn't have been so mad and angrily sang his song.

Then again, I feel like someone ought to create some damn Glee club rules. You should not be able to get up and sing a song expressing your anger at a fellow Glee clubber, when everyone in the entire room knows who and what you're talking about. Public humiliation is not cool. Then again, today's kids aren't really raised to keep their dirty laundry private like I was.

Sarraghina

Sarraghina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Actually, it's Miss Chanandler Bong...

You should not be able to get up and sing a song expressing your anger at a fellow Glee clubber, when everyone in the entire room knows who and what you're talking about. Public humiliation is not cool. Then again, today's kids aren't really raised to keep their dirty laundry private like I was.

That sort of allowance has been around forever. We had a Govt. teacher that everyone LOVED at our school. He was young, cute and cool. And he thought nothing of allowing a student to trash me in the middle of class about what my ass looked like on the blocks during a swim competition (his sister and I were on the swim team together). He actually laughed at this. I've hated him and abhor teachers who allow humiliation to occur in their class. But, this is Glee and expressing emotion through music is par for the course. We wouldn't have some great numbers (and very few reasons for music), if they didn't allow it in class...

Edited by Sarraghina, Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:57 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

The recap is up.

Back to discussing the episode itself, please.