5-21: "Despicable B" 2012.04.23 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

92 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

Good job, all! Thanks for the respectful and interesting discussion. Carry on!

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

After yesterday episodes, it's obvious that Blair is the one who will not return those three words. My suspicion is that Dan decided not to take the fellowship opportunity in Rome because he tells Blair that "I love you" and he wants to stay in NY to be with her and help her. When Blair asked Dan for help at the end to find her true self, that's what he wants to do. The twist is that Blair also loves Dan but doesn't want him to turn the opportunity. So, she won't say those three words to "hurt" him and he decided to change his mind about the opportunity. Maybe it's not true but my assumption.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

Don't think anyone mentioned the hilarious photoshop job on that photo of Jack and Chuck. It's definitely the same photo from S1 when Chuck and Nate went away right after Blair hooked up with both of them, and he was like "who would I tell" (attachment: the picture).

But if that's true (I don't have the S1 photo available), it must have been Chuck himself who altered it. Why?

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:37 AM

How stupid is Rufus? 'Call me when you're ready to be a partner again'? They've never had a partnership. That's not how Lily works. She does whatever the hell she wants and everyone else deals. That's Lily. He knows this. Does he honestly think he's going to pout his way into changing this now? Her smackdown at the end was cold though. I think they should divorce. She doesn't respect him and he doesn't like the person she actually is only his memory of Lily.

You'd think these people would learn not to piss Lily off. She doesn't play. William in particular should know better so I hope he has a good plan at the end.

I think there's a connection between Lily going postal, her attitude towards Rufus, and finding out her ex had an affair with her sister. When Serena told her about Lola it was like it flipped a switch and all of a sudden she was in it for blood. That was when she went from trying to get back with Rufus to shoving him away as fast as possible, she went from trying to restore the family name to tossing it out, and it's when she started working with the enemy (Ivy). I think after that moment it was all about control for her. She became ice cold and in charge and to hell with everyone else. I think finding that out hurt a lot more than she is willing to deal with.

I loved Lily essentially telling Serena to suck it up. More people need to tell Serena that in her life. More people need to tell all these kids that.

I really felt for Serena tonight. She made me hurt for her at the end. I like that she got to lay it out with William. She needed that moment. I loved how much she had her mom's back. It wasn't OTT but it was present.

Dair was heartbreaking and flawless but they weren't really where my attention was this ep.

The Chuck storyline was hilarious for once. Detective!Nate was adorable. He's such a hooker. I like that Chuck doesn't seem to be as broody about his family drama this time. Maybe he's getting used to it.

Question: at the end what exactly did Lola think Serena was going to want to get back at Lily for?

StarForeman

StarForeman

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

I see parallels between lily stealing Lola's inheritance, if carol was in jail the money would pass to Lola, with grey gardens and little eddies claims that Jackie O's father stole her and her mothers inheritance for his daughters.

Lily seems to care a lot about who "deserves" the money. As far as I can tell she seems to believe only she deserves it.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:36 AM

I think there's a connection between Lily going postal, her attitude towards Rufus, and finding out her ex had an affair with her sister. When Serena told her about Lola it was like it flipped a switch and all of a sudden she was in it for blood. That was when she went from trying to get back with Rufus to shoving him away as fast as possible, she went from trying to restore the family name to tossing it out, and it's when she started working with the enemy (Ivy). I think after that moment it was all about control for her. She became ice cold and in charge and to hell with everyone else. I think finding that out hurt a lot more than she is willing to deal with.

I think this is a good observation...in fact, I thought Lily was wayyyy too calm about the cheating+impregnating thing. Sure, Lily likes to save face but it did seem she snapped, just not outwardly.

Question: at the end what exactly did Lola think Serena was going to want to get back at Lily for?

I wanted to ask this too but forgot; I was also confused. Maybe she thinks Serena is THAT pissed that Lily did a whole family charade dinner? Serena wasn't really willing or agreeable 100% there with Lily but it didn't seem something 'revenge' worthy. I doubt Lola was dumb enough to think Serena cared Lily sent her mother to jail....I'm missing something. lol.

Edited by diorella78, Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:39 AM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:02 AM

Perhaps Lola knows something we don't.

xCosmicLove

xCosmicLove

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

With the exception of a couple things, this episode felt like a lot of filler to me.

The Van der Woodsen drama was interesting, in that it finally moved the Lola plot along. I felt both pride and sorrow for Serena when she told her father off; this is all stuff that has been bottled up for years, and I hope it will end up serving a cathartic purpose to her character. I would like to see her build a relationship with Lola, but I see Lola going the same direction of Scott after this season.

Nate was fantastic during the entire episode. It’s amazing to see him be so alert and clever, and I love seeing his loyalty to Chuck. Speaking of Chuck, he had a combined screen time of about five minutes, but I will forgive this since Ed was off filming “Romeo and Juliet.” I loved his reaction to Nate telling him his “mother” had called: “I don’t know which of us this is more awkward for,” and it was actually rather hilarious to briefly consider the possibility that Nate could in fact become Chuck’s stepdad. I figured Diana was lying, but I didn’t think we’d find out this soon. I also don’t think Jack is Chuck’s dad. Also, the photoshopped pics were hilarious.

I kind of liked watching Lily come unglued this episode. I used to like Rufus so much, but now I think he is basically a dufus.

Blair was so sad to watch. It’s even sadder to watch Dan attempt to understand and reason with her. I am so glad she ended the episode determined to find herself again. I have doubts that Dan will actually be able to help her with this, and I’m even more doubtful that he will like the end result.

bm232

bm232

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Speaking of which, Blair is just pathetic at this point. No amount of sweet words from Dan will change the fact that she's a shell of her former self, and is now currently at Bella Swan levels. Girl is just lost.

WORD.

The scene where Blair shoves Dan aside at the podium and launches into her speech was...*CRINGE*. By the end I was sure this was a Coburn ep (but it wasn't.) I did LOL at the ONE person who raised their glass, then quickly lowered it when they realized nobody else was doing it. ROFLMAO.

Blair trying to regain her identity could have been awesome, but wasn't. I'd have loved her, "I don't want to live in someone else's shadow!" if, say, she had to choose between supporting Dan and pursuing something of her own. Or if she and Dan both applied for a position and she felt competitive. Something like that.

But I just can't take her seriously when her attempts to gain the spotlight consisted of piggybacking off Dan's big night and Dan's speech, as Dan's girlfriend, the girl behind Inside. It wasn't just that she tried to hog Dan's stage, it's that she didn't even hog it as herself, but as Dan's Muse.

I needed a moment of explicit self-realization from her re: this ridiculousness, and I did not get that AT ALL. She talked in general terms about losing herself, but didn't truly hit on the contradiction of not wanting to be overshadowed by Dan, yet simultaneously trying to gain the spotlight through him and his work. I think this needed to be made a lot clearer than it was: that is, if the writers even recognized the contradiction in the first place, which they might not have, given that this is GG.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

I needed a moment of explicit self-realization from her re: this ridiculousness, and I did not get that AT ALL. She talked in general terms about losing herself, but didn't truly hit on the contradiction of not wanting to be overshadowed by Dan, yet simultaneously trying to gain the spotlight through him and his work. I think this needed to be made a lot clearer than it was: that is, if the writers even recognized the contradiction in the first place, which they might not have, given that this is GG.

I disagree. All we saw was her post acting out and Dan disappointment realization that there was a problem and the subsequent naming of that problem, i.e. that she feels like she's lost her identity. The scene ended after that acknowledgement. And I don't think it needed to be spelled out that she realized that shoving Dan aside at the podium and then taking credit as a muse was not the way to go about getting her sense of self back. It was implicit in the scene that she realized she's being crazy and she said she wants to get herself back.

Now if that's all we ever get and future episodes don't show her working on what it means and what she needs to do for herself, I will agree with you that the scene was essentially hollow in the end. I just think it's too soon to decry the lack of self-examination and analysis.

Edited by RachelKM, Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:46 PM.

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

This episode was oddly reminiscent of the old GG, but I don't know if that's a good thing. I feel like I'm forever doomed to watch the same storylines over and over...or at least hear about them.

Blair is a nutter. At first, I laughed at her ridiculousness, but then I went from entertained to disgusted. Blair talking about the IP stuff now is redundant. They might as well have Chuck start out of the blue dwelling on the fact that Blair slept with his uncle behind his back after telling him she loved him or that she faked her virginity with Nate. I feel like Blair's feelings regarding the IP became moot the minute she asked her "pimp" to be the father of her child.

I wonder what the writers are doing with Rufus and Lily. It seems silly to focus on their estrangement if they're just going to reunite them in a few episodes. They've been together for so long that I wonder if the writers would even consider splitting them up for good. It does seem like they crumble under the tiniest weight.

Nate was adorable, he had me in stitches this episode and I'm so thankful that Chuck has at least one person caring about him during this parental guessing game. I guess Blair still hasn't found out? I'm eager to see her reaction to all of this next week, especially given her “history” with Jack.

Kaspangle

Kaspangle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

Ugh, that was the worst Blair I've ever seen. I could barely even peek through my fingers at her scenes. She needs to pack up and go stay with Harold and Roman for a year. Maybe go to school out there. Then maybe she'd come back as herself.

Divorce Rufus, Lily! You're getting interesting again!

Noname42

Noname42

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

I think I have to disagree with this. I personally got the impression that they were pointing out that Blair's ridiculous actions (i.e. trying to steal Dan's spotlight) were in relation to feeling like she'd lost herself. She felt like she'd lost her sense of identity, and she felt that the only way to get it back was to reinvent one for herself. She came across as ridiculous (it reminded me so, so much of season 2-3 Blair), and quite frankly a bitch (using Dan's success as a stepping stone), but I think it was still all tied back to her feelings that she'd lost herself. I think Dan certainly realized that too hence his understanding and "if you could only see what I see". So I do think Blair's moment of realization at the end encompassed her actions of trying to overshadow Dan and use his success as a stepping stone because to me at least, the root of her ridiculous actions was the fact that she felt like she'd lost herself.

By the end I was sure this was a Coburn ep (but it wasn't.)

It wasn't, but don't get too comfortable. Next week's is. Joy.

Blair talking about the IP stuff now is redundant. They might as well have Chuck start out of the blue dwelling on the fact that Blair slept with his uncle behind his back after telling him she loved him or that she faked her virginity with Nate. I feel like Blair's feelings regarding the IP became moot the minute she asked her "pimp" to be the father of her child.

To be honest, given the fact that Chuck now believes that Jack is his father, it might not be a bad time to bring that up heh. Seriously though, I don't think Blair talking about the IP is in any way redundant, especially given the fact that it was linked so closely with her SL in this episode (i.e. she felt that one of the contributing factors of her losing herself was the IP). And honestly, I can't speak from experience because I doubt I would ever be in a position where my boyfriend could or would trade me for a hotel, but I don't think it's something that one would "get over" and not talk about from time to time. It would have an incredibly damaging effect on someone's self-esteem, especially someone like Blair who from the beginning has felt insecure and unloved.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I wonder about that last scene of Serena and Lola. It seemed to me that Serena went out of her way to give Lola a moment alone, with the card carrying the password in almost plain sight. I have no idea why Serena might do that, but I'm intrigued by the thought.

Thinking more about this, the point could be, in a word, deniability. Even Lola would have to say that Serena has nothing to do with whatever is going to happen next.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

I just watched this episode tonight. A part of me wants to cut Lily & Serena some slack because they just lost Cece, but I still wanted to punch them both very hard while watching this. I've never been Rufus' biggest fan, but Lily was just cruel to him with her words. And what has Lola ever done to Serena to warrant the treatment Serena doled out at the end? It is not Lola's fault that Carol & William are cheating liars. As much as I want to understand where Lily & Serena are coming from, I can't. They were horrible in this episode.

As for Lola, I've actually warmed up to her after not much caring for her when she first arrived.

The who is Chuck's momma and/or daddy just made me laugh this episode. I can only think the writers are going for some sort of meta commentary on how ridiculous it comes across to viewers. That's the only logical explanation for the nonsensical levels to which this story's been taken.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

The Chuck family drama gets even more ridiculous in this episode, which is really saying something. It's always great to see his friendship with Nate and the fact that Chuck is forgiving of Nate for (unknowingly) sleeping with is maybe Mum and is trying to consider what kind of relationship he wants with his mother- this is positive character develpoment for Chuck. But why should I believe Jack is Chuck's father anymore than Diana is his mother? How many parents has he had at this stage? I am delighted that Ed is getting a storyline separate from the toxic Chuck Blair merry go round but now we are left wondering is Jack really his father? Who is Diana Payne? Is she still his mother? Did she donate the blood? Is Elizabeth his mother? Are Jack and Diane just covering for a (not dead) Bart Bass? It's just getting harder and harder to care except to say of Jack is his father than that hotel storyline is 70 times creepier; Blair has slepy with his Dad. I think that might actually send Blair over the edge entirely!

Nate was very funny but my God, he's a walking plot device at times. In this episode he finds out Lola has met her father and almost immediately conveys this (private)information to Serena!?!His seduction of Diana was funny because almost any other character would be asking what he was doing in her bedroom. Diana doesn't even blink. Why would Jack even hire her, she's inept!

Felt sorry for Serena in this episode. Her jealousy on learing the truth about Lola was completely understandable to me, particularly given her relationship with her father. It was good to see her remind him that he walked out on her as a child and when she tracked him down he wouldn't even see her at first. So I get why she's angry that he is so keen to have a relationship with Lola. That said Serena continues to take her anger out on a frankly blameless Lola. Bet that girl wishes she'd stayed in Florida. She learnt the truth about her father and then her aunt gets her mother arrested for fraud. It sucks being Lola right now.

It also sucks being Ivy right now. Is Lily even grieving Cece's death. Ivy is the only person who seems to be actually talking about Cece and not her money. How much money does Lily even need? I don't know why Ivy helped her get revenge on Carol but Ivy has been given immunity from prosecution for fraud which is a good deal for her. Wasn't surprised to see her rip up the check. Ivy didn't help Cece for the money and she doesn't want to repair things with Lily because of the money. Lily just doesn't seem to get it; she's acting like some demented Count of Monte Christo exacting revenge on everyone, deserving or not. I have no sympathy for Carol but Lily seems to care little for the collateral damage caught up in the mess. She's collecting enemies at an astonishing rate, even for GG and you have to feel sooner or later they will unite against her. After Serena rejected Lola again, you have to assume it's only a matter of time before Ivy and Lola join forces. Lily's heading for a fall I suspect.Already we see William is not going to hand over Carol's half of the estate. Can't say I blame him. I think he is genuine about trying to look out for Lola and Lily certainly won't do that at the moment.Looks like her marriage is (understandably) on the rocks too. It's hard to make Rufus look like the innocent victim in all this but Lily is so unreasonable at the moment you's wonder why anyone would love her.

As for Dan and Blair. It was kind of sad to see Blair try to upstage Dan. Yes, it was very vintage, almost Season 1 Blair, but most of her schemes to get at Serena in Season 1 backfired on her. So while I would love to see Blair being all the things Dan described her as, we also need to see that she is growing up and maturing. After everything Dan had done for her he really didn't deserve this. She refused to sabotage him at W magazine because she recongised he was her friend so taking over his speech like that was not just pathetic but also a retrograde step for Blair. I did like how he walked out on her and when she followed him he called her on her behaviour. There is no doubt that when they talk about a problem they communicate better than any couple I've seen on this show; Blair doesn't make up some daft excuses and just tells him what's really going on and his response is more gracious than she probably deserves.

While it was good to see Blair coming to find Dan to apologise,clearly she feels bad about what she's done; it was a little sad to see Blair needing Dan to tell her things that she should already know about herself. That said I felt this scene played very well. Firstly it was good that Blair spoke about being traded for a hotel and selling out for a tiara (as it was good that Serena had reminded her father of what he had done to her) because Blair shouldn't simply forget about what's happened. She's not the same girl we met in Season 1, none of them are. She has made some poor decisions in terms of her relationships and she has lost her sense of self in the process. It was also good to see Dan refer to the W arc and that this is when he fell for her, because it was when she was showing personal ambition and doing something to advance herself professionally (even if sadly it was ultimately to impress Chuck). Blair is (rightly)examining who she is in this episode, which is a very good thing. Blair needs to start thinking about her ambitions (separate from any relationship) and what she wants to do with her life; and sometimes we all need to hear it out loud from somebody who cares about us,which Dan does. Blair at her best is 'fiercely strong, independent, outspoken, beautiful, capable of anything'. What he says next is even more important for Blair to hear 'no man or magazine should be able to take that away from her'. WORD. Is there anything Blair had needed to hear as badly as this. Dan gets it because he seems to understand Blair better than anyone else I've seen on this show. I hope after this that Blair will start to get it too, preferably (though sadly probably not) before she loses him too.

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

Lily and CeCe had a volatile relationship, but Lily still loved her mother and she hasn’t had a chance to grieve. CeCe died unexpectedly. Sure she was sick, but Lily didn’t know she’d taken a turn for the worse.

Lily is angry at everyone. She’s angry at CeCe for not letting her know that she was on her death bed and for leaving her entire estate without explanation to some random girl she’s known for a year and whom Lily only knows as a con artist. She’s angry at Ivy for worming her way into the family and into CeCe’s affections and scheming her way into a fortune. She finds out that her sister is actually the mastermind behind Ivy’s presence and it was all done to access Lola’s trust fund. Lily then disocovers that her ex-husband and sister not only had an affair, but William got Carol pregnant; and if you think about it, probably around the same time Lily was pregnant with Eric. To top it all off, her husband, the one person she expects to support her is going behind her back to help Ivy.

Obviously, we know the story isn't that simple and Lily isn’t stopping to see things clearly. She’s acting without really thinking, but this is a lot of crap to deal with at once. Unfortunately, she’s on the verge of ruining every relationship, but I can see from her perspective why she’s lost it.

SmilingGoat

SmilingGoat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Did anybody else notice the contrast between Lily and Serena's initial reactions to the news that William is Lola's father? Serena was left absolutely speechless at Nate's office (the kind of reaction one would expect from someone finding out a bombshell like that) while Lily's reaction felt very nonchalant to me. It's as if someone just told her an event she was attending got cancelled, not that her ex-husband HAD CHEATED ON HER WITH HER SISTER! AND PRODUCED A LOVE-CHILD TOGETHER!

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

So Lily first had Carol thrown in jail and then planned to steal her share of the inheritance, all in revenge because twenty years ago (more or less) Carol had an affair with the husband Lily divorced long ago, no doubt for good reason? I don't buy it, especially since Lily, by her own admission, knew William was a philanderer.

There's another point. Serena was tremendously upset that William at once met with Lola, while he had been avoiding Serena for years. I think there's a simple reason for that; one that Serena has figured out, but doesn't want to believe: Lola really is William's daughter, Serena isn't.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

There's another point. Serena was tremendously upset that William at once met with Lola, while he had been avoiding Serena for years. I think there's a simple reason for that; one that Serena has figured out, but doesn't want to believe: Lola really is William's daughter, Serena isn't.

That's a good theory, especially how Lily was acting, and if they can bring that story line about it would be oh.so.good. Any chance Serena is actually Rufus' biological kid? lol. kidding.

Newnhamite

Newnhamite

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Limabean I really like your analysis of Lily. She's transcended her usual levels of crazy these last few episodes, and I think part of the reason is her unresolved feelings re: her Cece's death, and everything else you said!

I thought Serena's reaction to the news was beautifully acted by Blake Lively. Serena's actions have been pretty awful lately but BL really sells it. Interesting that Serena was hurt/ emotional but Lily got cold and ruthless in reaction to the news. (Lily actually terrifies me).

Lily/ Rufus continue to provide angst and drama (still team Rufus!), though every time I see Rufus sadly strum his guitar I laugh and laugh.

Awww, Ivy! She was so heartbreaking in her final scene with Lily. Even though ripping up the cheque was totally bonkers, she made me feel for her.

Still love Dan/ Blair. My sister, who is a casual Chair fan, switched teams with 'If only you could see what I see." Yes!

albmo

albmo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

That last scene with Dan and Blair made me teary eyed. So embarrassing that I got misty over GG! Ew. But damn:

Blair: And...what was that girl like?
Dan: Well, that girl is fiercely strong, ...

Hearts in my eyes, tears down my face. How a present tense and past tense could make me so misty, that's bloody brilliant.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

I forgot to mention how lucky Lily is that Ivy tore up that check (idiot - that was a MILLION dollars!). A check like that immediately after giving a statement to have Carol arrest could have appeared to be a bribe. I realize that Ivy likely told the truth, but it gives the appearance of a bribe.

If I was Carol's lawyer I would be all over checking Ivy's finances anyway to discredit her in terms of being an admitted con artist in this situation. If in that research I found out Ivy came into a shit ton of money immediately after giving a statement re my client, I'd be all over that for impeachment of her testimony.

It was extremely short sighted of Lily to give her money (in the form of a check no less). Particularly in light of the fact that Ivy offered to rip it up and if she could be included in their lives. Placate the girl until Carol is convicted and then you can throw her out if you like. It's far harder to prove/imply impropriety with a friendship than with actual money exchanging hands.

Edited for typos.

Edited by RachelKM, Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:55 AM.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

I agree about the check, lol...not very careful there, Lily.

Also, where is Ivy even living now? Rufus couldn't pay for her anymore, right? How is Ivy even surviving?

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:07 AM

I forgot to mention how lucky Lily is that Ivy tore up that check (idiot - that was a MILLION dollars!). A check like that immediately after giving a statement to have Carol arrest could have appeared to be a bribe. I realize that Ivy likely told the truth, but it gives the appearance of a bribe.

If I was Carol's lawyer I would be all over checking Ivy's finances anyway to discredit her in terms of being an admitted con artist in this situation. If in that research I found out Ivy came into a sit ton of money immediately after giving a statement re my client, I'd be all over that for impeachment of her testimony.

It was extremely short sided of Lily to give her money (in the form of a check no less). Particularly in light of the fact that Ivy offered to rip it up and if she could be included in their lives. Placate the girl until Carol is convicted and then you can throw her out if you like. It's far harder to prove/imply impropriety with a friendship than with actual money exchanging hands.

Yes- the check would look really dodgy wouldn't it. Lily is not thinking straight though. If she was she wouldn't be making unecessary enemies, at the moment she is alienating everyone including Rufus and Serena.

That last scene with Dan and Blair made me teary eyed. So embarrassing that I got misty over GG! Ew. But damn:

Blair: And...what was that girl like?
Dan: Well, that girl is fiercely strong, ...

Hearts in my eyes, tears down my face. How a present tense and past tense could make me so misty, that's bloody brilliant

It was really sweet, beautifully played scene from both Leighton and Penn and for that answer alone Dan gets about 15/10 for that exchange; fantastic description of Blair. It is good that when Blair hurts Dan she recognises it and goes to Brooklyn to make amends but it is a little sad that between 'being traded for a hotel and selling out for a tiara' Blair doesn't see what Dan sees.

Edited by No Second Troy, Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:08 AM.

Snooker83

Snooker83

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, movies (anything but rom coms), politics (the dirtiest spectator sport known to man!), swimming.

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:33 AM

Chuck, how I met my mother and my father who might be my uncle because my uncle might be my father and I'm no longer sure about the mother part either.

Poor Ed, my admiration for the man grows with every passing episode. How he manages to keep a straight face through all these plot developments is beyond me.

TXSforever

TXSforever

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

glad Blair still remembers she was pimped for a hotel. The douchebag also abuses her she needs to remember that one!

revelation

revelation

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

The family dynamics get more confusing each week.

In summary, last week Chuck gained a mother. Now this week he gained a father but lost an uncle, and still has a mother but it was a different mother from last week? His new father, Jack previously slept with his old girlfriend, Blair. Also his current mother (Elizabeth) slept with his uncle/dad Jack and also with the man who Chuck thought was his Dad (Bart), so that Bart thought he was Chuck's Dad when in actuality he was Chuck's uncle? So Bart raised Chuck as his real son while thinking or pretending (I cannot remember which) that Chuck's mum (Elizabeth) was dead, when she was actually alive. Diana slept with Chuck's best friend, Nate but no longer seems to be Chuck's mum, but no-one knows who she really is! My head hurts.

Then you get to Serena's family. She gained a cousin Charlie, who turned out to be a fake cousin and was really Ivy. Then Lola, who was Nate's girlfriend, turns out to be her real cousin but then turns out to be her real half-sister. Is no-one bothering to tell her Brother Eric about the fact that he gained a new cousin, who was a fake then gained another new real cousin, who is actually his half sister? Surely he would want to know all this sh1t even though he is in Africa or some crap. In addition to that, Serena may be about to lose her new step-father, Rufus and her step-brother Dan, who she is in love with and is an ex-boyfriend, but is now dating her ex-best friend, Blair. Serena has fallen out with Blair, despite living in Blair's house. She is about to lose her step-sister too but no-one cares about Jenny anymore because Blair banished her from NYC. Not even sure how that works now that Dan is dating Blair, his sister's enemy.

Serena used to work for Nate, but was fired from the Spectator. So Nate is Serena's ex-boss and ex-boyfriend, who slept with her new half-sister. Nate in this episode also slept with who he thought was his best friend's Chuck's Mum, Diana who was his ex-boss. The Spectator is a place where Nate used to work with Charlie, Serena's fake cousin, for Diana who was sleeping with Nate and also secretly working for Nate's Dad. But Diana, who is not really Diana, is also working for Jack, who as mentioned above is Chuck's Uncle or maybe his Dad.

Chuck is Serena's former step-brother and he also slept with Serena's soon to be former-step sister Jenny, who became the enemy of his ex-girlfriend, Blair, who is Serena's ex-best-friend and current landlady, who is now dating Dan, Blair's ex-work colleague and brother of Jenny who was banished. Serena's Dad, slept with her Aunt who was her Mum's sister. Serena's Mum previously was married to Bart who was Chuck's Dad, but may actually really be Chuck's Uncle! Serena already has a half-brother because her mother and her soon to be ex-stepfather Rufus had an affair before they got married! I cannot remember this half-brother's name but no-one even cares and it would probably just turn out to be a fake name anyway.

Serena is now Gossip Girl, despite vowing to destroy it previously and her secret has been uncovered by Lola, who as explained above is Serena's ex-boyfriend Nate's (who is also her ex best friend's, Blair's ex-boyfriend and is friends with both her current ex-stepbrother, Chuck and her soon to be ex-stepbrother Dan) ex-girlfriend and her own former cousin but now is currently her half-sister! My head hurts a lot!

I am leaving Vanessa, Louis, Georgina, Trip, Ben and Juliet out of this just to keep things simple!

Some of the above may be wrong, but I just don't care enough about checking it because it is constantly changing week-to-week! At least the Voiceover of Kristen Bell stays the same!

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Actually, revelation, I think you've covered the situation at the end of this episode quite well. I call attention, though, to Ivy, who at the end tore up a million-dollar check. The obvious question, "Why?", fits in, I think, with a larger question: "Who is Ivy really?".

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

The recap is up.