Blair plots to ensure her social status remains intact, while Lily tries to solidify her family by hosting a gathering for them. Elsewhere, Nate looks into Diana's background and unearths a surprise.
A reminder of what the rules here are, and what the rules for posting in an episode thread are:
- The topic of the thread is the episode. It's not the place for a discussion of how a character has changed over the season, or for a comparison of one pairing with another, or for speculating on future episodes or critiquing the show as a whole. The bulk of your post needs to be focused on the events of the episode.
- It's only natural that watching and discussing the episode leads to thoughts about broader topics such as this season, or the development of a character or pairing, or where you think the show is going. But if that thought cannot be expressed in a line or two, you need to take it to the proper thread, because any more than that in the epiosde thread and you are off-topic. While I might give more leeway to episodes for other shows, this show forum burned that up long ago. You've seen others say, "Taking my response to the Character A thread," and you can do it, too.
- If you are posting on TWoP, you are expected to be prepared to share the thread with people with whom you disagree, and be prepared to share it politely and respectfully. If you are worked up about an issue to the extent that you can no longer be respectful, take a break until you can.
- Using phrases like "I don't get how people can sayÖ" or "I don't understand how Blair can be consideredÖ" or variations of those are boards on boards. Instead of being your opinion about the show, you are expressing the opinion that posters who hold that position are incomprehensible or crazy or whatever. If you disagree with someone, great, but just say so and why, and leave the passive-agressive phrases out of it, please.
- Expressing surprise that others had a different opinion about the show is also boards on boards for the same reason. If it comes as a surprise to you that not everyone views a show exactly as you do, welcome to the internet. If you can't peacefully coexist here without expressing that surprise, this probably isn't the site for you.
- "Iím in the minority" or "Unpopular opinion here," or "Am I the only one?" all break the boards on boards rule because theyíre about counting up sides on the thread, or taking the threadís temperature. Just put your opinion about there, and donít fish for people to agree with you.
- Telling people how to watch the show ("You should just view this as a social comedy and not get so hung up onÖ") or the old, "If you hate it so much, why are you still watching?" is boards on boards. Instead of posting your opinion about the show, you are posting your opinion about what other posters should do, or worse, telling them what to do.
- Please remember that your opinions about the show are not facts. Facts are things like, "Blair dated Chuck and now she's dating Dan." Opinions are "Blair belongs with Chuck" or "Blair is much happier with Dan." You may fully believe something with all of your heart, but that doesn't magically turn it into a fact. Throwing in an "As I see it," or "I think" (or whatever feels comfortable) from time to time shows that you understand that other people's head canon is equally valuable to your head canon. Note that if you write a post promoting your opinions to facts, and stick an IMO or YMMV in here or there, all you are accomplishing is to show me that you don't understand the rule, or aren't capable of telling what is your opinion and what is fact.
- Once you make a point once or twice, move on. Any more than that is repetitive. And please don't attempt to stop a discussion by saying, "Let's agree to disagree." If that's what you want to do, then just stop posting. It's not the phrase itself that is the problem; it's that most people make another point about the show and then stick that at the end. It comes across as you wanting to shut the discussion down so that you can have the last word.
Sorry, I must have put in the wrong time to unlock the thread. Post away!
Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:14 PM.