5-21: "Despicable B" 2012.04.23 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

92 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

From Comcast.net:

Blair plots to ensure her social status remains intact, while Lily tries to solidify her family by hosting a gathering for them. Elsewhere, Nate looks into Diana's background and unearths a surprise.

A reminder of what the rules here are, and what the rules for posting in an episode thread are:
  • The topic of the thread is the episode. It's not the place for a discussion of how a character has changed over the season, or for a comparison of one pairing with another, or for speculating on future episodes or critiquing the show as a whole. The bulk of your post needs to be focused on the events of the episode.
  • It's only natural that watching and discussing the episode leads to thoughts about broader topics such as this season, or the development of a character or pairing, or where you think the show is going. But if that thought cannot be expressed in a line or two, you need to take it to the proper thread, because any more than that in the epiosde thread and you are off-topic. While I might give more leeway to episodes for other shows, this show forum burned that up long ago. You've seen others say, "Taking my response to the Character A thread," and you can do it, too.
  • If you are posting on TWoP, you are expected to be prepared to share the thread with people with whom you disagree, and be prepared to share it politely and respectfully. If you are worked up about an issue to the extent that you can no longer be respectful, take a break until you can.
  • Using phrases like "I don't get how people can sayÖ" or "I don't understand how Blair can be consideredÖ" or variations of those are boards on boards. Instead of being your opinion about the show, you are expressing the opinion that posters who hold that position are incomprehensible or crazy or whatever. If you disagree with someone, great, but just say so and why, and leave the passive-agressive phrases out of it, please.
  • Expressing surprise that others had a different opinion about the show is also boards on boards for the same reason. If it comes as a surprise to you that not everyone views a show exactly as you do, welcome to the internet. If you can't peacefully coexist here without expressing that surprise, this probably isn't the site for you.
  • "Iím in the minority" or "Unpopular opinion here," or "Am I the only one?" all break the boards on boards rule because theyíre about counting up sides on the thread, or taking the threadís temperature. Just put your opinion about there, and donít fish for people to agree with you.
  • Telling people how to watch the show ("You should just view this as a social comedy and not get so hung up onÖ") or the old, "If you hate it so much, why are you still watching?" is boards on boards. Instead of posting your opinion about the show, you are posting your opinion about what other posters should do, or worse, telling them what to do.
  • Please remember that your opinions about the show are not facts. Facts are things like, "Blair dated Chuck and now she's dating Dan." Opinions are "Blair belongs with Chuck" or "Blair is much happier with Dan." You may fully believe something with all of your heart, but that doesn't magically turn it into a fact. Throwing in an "As I see it," or "I think" (or whatever feels comfortable) from time to time shows that you understand that other people's head canon is equally valuable to your head canon. Note that if you write a post promoting your opinions to facts, and stick an IMO or YMMV in here or there, all you are accomplishing is to show me that you don't understand the rule, or aren't capable of telling what is your opinion and what is fact.
  • Once you make a point once or twice, move on. Any more than that is repetitive. And please don't attempt to stop a discussion by saying, "Let's agree to disagree." If that's what you want to do, then just stop posting. It's not the phrase itself that is the problem; it's that most people make another point about the show and then stick that at the end. It comes across as you wanting to shut the discussion down so that you can have the last word.
If this thread ignores the rules as much as last weekís thread did, Iíll close it up and not open one for the final episode. Itís up to you to keep it open for your fellow posters. If you think these rules are silly or draconian, or whatever complaint you have, tough. If you are posting here, you are expected to follow them. If you cannot, you are derailing the thread and showing a fundamental lack of respect for other posters. Be responsible and make a choice: if you donít intend to follow the rules, well, you donít have to go home, but you canít stay here. Thanks.

Sorry, I must have put in the wrong time to unlock the thread. Post away!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:14 PM.

sharonbee

sharonbee

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Why have the writers decided to make Serena and Lily so nasty?

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

I am so ridiculously happy that we got a clear definitive answer to "who is the real Blair Waldorf?" tonight! It was the girl from the W episodes, and I couldn't agree more!

I love that Blair wants to find herself again, and I love that Dan told her that no man can take that from her.

Sigh. They are flaw-free.

jenrising

jenrising

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Good question, sharonbee. I assume by next week they'll be stirring a bubbling cauldron somewhere. Damn.

Also, Ivy! That was a million dollars. We do not tear up checks for a million dollars. This better be part of a plot to get even more money.

I just can't manage to care about Chuck's revolving door of parents.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

I was actually taken with the way Dan was very calm and measured about Blair acting out at his event. I have a weakness for Dair, and I think Dan's ability to get Blair to calm down and re-center is kind of cute.

Sharonbee - I don't get it either, and Rufus' comment about how she's becoming like CeCe felt pretty apt. I kind of felt (momentarily) like I was never going to feel clean again after Lily asked Rufus if was ever going to find as good a sugar momma, as she is...Wow, Lily, should we give you points for not calling Rufus a gold digger who without her will be trolling the streets for another mark? If this is what you call making up.

I snickered as Lily launched into her, "these men are hear to arrest you for fraud...." I could feel its presence on the horizon as Lily instructed Serena to paste on a happy face.

Was it wrong of me to laugh and point as Nate, "took one for the team" to throw Diana off guard?

I am going to assume Ivy tearing up the check in the elevator is show-code for" we will see her again at some point"?

Edited by name234, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

dirtypop90

dirtypop90

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

entertaining episode

Blair was so hard to watch today. I was squirming in all of her scenes. "Relationship" blair is unbearable.

I like William. He's a snake, dog etc. but I still like him.

Loved cold, bitchy Lily

EEE!!! at the promos for next week. Very glad to see blair, chuck, and nate scheming again, hopefully Serena can come along. I'm sick of seeing Blair isolated from the rest of NJBC so next week should be fun!

WeaselNeyer

WeaselNeyer

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

This episode was like all over the map for me. While I appreciated the lengths Nate went to to figure things out for Chuck, he once again tells someone (Serena) something someone else told him in confidence. I get with his whole honesty thing, but he seriously needs to keep his mouth shut.

I'm also still a little confused about the whole Chuck situation. So Elizabeth was his real mom, but Jack is probably his father? But I thought they needed a "family member" to donate blood, and Jack couldn't because of his Hep, and Elizabeth couldn't because she was out of the country. And how does Diana fit into all this. Did Bart and Jack like "swap spouses" or something?

Honestly, I really don't think they're painting Lily in a sympathetic light at all. When she was just like, "oh you want a divorce?," it didn't seem to me like she had any emotion in her voice at all! And while I did feel bad for Serena with her confrontation with her father, she's just being awful to Lola, who has done nothing to her. I mean, Serena was the one who wanted her to become more part of the family to begin with!

Oh, and while Blair was really cringe-worthy during her "stealing the spotlight" scene, their ending was just adorable to me. Dan has been falling for her since W? Gah. And I'm honestly surprised they had her bring up the hotel again. That's been twice in like 3 episodes? To me, it seems like it is just contrasting the two relationships - I'm not sure what other reasons for it there are.

ilovestamos

ilovestamos

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Did Blake Lively pull a Heigl piss off the writers or something? Because they are making her so unlikeable. Each week is worse than the one before with regards to Serena's overall shittiness. I understand she's upset about her dad - who wouldn't be? - but that's not Lola's fault.

Lily's been over the top awful lately too. Up until this point, when Serena has done something wrong, it hasn't been malicious; it's been out of thoughtlessness and sometimes self-centeredness and I think the same can be said about Lily, though to a lesser extent. But with this episode, with both of them, damn! Lily was just so demeaning to Rufus this episode.

I had to cover my eyes, literally, when Blair interrupted Dan's speech. I'm glad he was so understanding about it. Get it together, girl. You're my favorite!

Edited by ilovestamos, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:23 PM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

So Chuck thinks Jack may be his father? I think this takes the prize as the most unsurprising revelation yet.

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

And I'm honestly surprised they had her bring up the hotel again. That's been twice in like 3 episodes? To me, it seems like it is just contrasting the two relationships - I'm not sure what other reasons for it there are.

Yeah, it seemed that way to me, too. They were saying how with Chuck and Louis she was in their shadow, but with Dan, they're equals. I was thrilled they let her bring up the IP again, because it was a huge freakin' deal that they NEVER really gave her space to deal with. She went from that to going back to Chuck so quick when it actually happened, that it never made any sense to me.

I think it's important that last week they showed Blair isn't a friend to Chuck, and this week, they again highlighted the dysfunction of the Chair relationship. I think the Dair/Chair contrast is intentional.

Also, I'm pretty sure the song in the background playing during the Dair scene said "break the cycle" which I thought was really meaningful and appropriate since that's what Blair has been in - a cycle of dysfunction and losing herself.

I'm looking forward to her finding her way back!

Danielle87

Danielle87

Couch Potato

Why have the writers decided to make Serena and Lily so nasty?

Lily has always had a calculating side to her. This is like the 1043243 time she's gone behind Rufus' or her family's back and lied to them about something and basically felt no regret for it. Not gonna lie, I love each time she does it. I'm such a Lily apologist even though I know she's kind of a terrible person. For some reason no matter how low she goes, I always get her reasoning, and this situation in this episode is no exception. Carol got what she deserved. Also cracked up when she basically called Rufus a kept man. Ice cold. She's like an older version of Blair circa season one, except she still has her dignity in tact which Blair lost long ago.

Speaking of which, Blair is just pathetic at this point. No amount of sweet words from Dan will change the fact that she's a shell of her former self, and is now currently at Bella Swan levels. Girl is just lost. I think the only thing that can redeem her at this point is for her to be single, and when I say single, her to be single and happy, IE not single and obsessing over Chuck, or Dan. She desperately needs a storyline that has nothing to do with her love life, and no I don't count helping Chuck with his millionth round of mommy/daddy issues. I laughed when Chuck said Jack could be his father, which I don't think is the reaction the writers were going for.

Can Lola please get off my screen? They keep teasing me thinking she'll finally go away, but she always comes back. Let her go away with Vanessa off screen forever.

tua20782

tua20782

Channel Surfer

So much secondhand embarrassment for Blair. I watched half the episode through my fingers but I'm still loving the Dair relationship.

I can't wrap my head around Serena and Lily. What's going on with those two? Did Serena really think that she could just invite Lola to dinner? Has she already forgotten the events of last week when she was sabotaging Lola left and right? Lily has always been a little cold and obsessed with perception but I always felt that underneath it all she was trying to protect the ones she loved. I even understood the whole Ben thing but now it's like she's shut down. The writers aren't even trying to give her motivation.

Why is Ivy still begging to be a part of this family? Truthfully if this was a normal family I would understand them shutting her out but with Serena and Lily I'm actually rooting for the lying scammer. I really miss Eric.

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Wow, Lily has gone full-on villain! It's okay with me, though, since she does it so deliciously, and since Carol in my opinion is such a raging bitca. It helps that William and others are pushing back at her.

Poor Chuck! I already feel so yanked around as a viewer, he's handling his musical chairs parentage remarkably well. I am a little disappointed that Elizabeth Hurley isn't his mom, though. Something about her sleazy Britishness made sense as a part of Chuck's DNA.

I feel like the show has been paralleling Rufus/Lily and Dan/Blair, but the Jack/Elizabeth/Bart Bermuda triangle is also similar to Lily/William/Carol, I think. Maybe that's unintentional, though.

How much do I love Detective Archibald who is willing to use his body to get to the truth? He's a regular Encyclopedia Brown, our Nate. A good friend and hilarious seducer of cougars.

Leighton Meester is so talented and charismatic that I love Blair even when she is being cartoonishly ridiculous about status and the NY Mag approval matrix (hilarious, by the way. This show is more realistic than Girls when it comes to New York City obsessions). And again, to me this episode juxtaposed what is wrong with Rufus/Lily and what works about Dan/Blair. It's interesting because the structure of the couples is the same (Upper East Side female, Brooklyn male), yet Rufus and Blair were the ones with the inferiority complexes in this episode. And whereas Villain!Lily (I'll use that since I don't the character has always been quite so deliciously one-dimensionally heartless) simply stepped on Rufus and emphasized their fiscal differences, Dan told Blair that he sees them as equals. The staging of that scene was interesting, on a staircase with Dan looking UP at Blair. I found that very meaningful and encouraging, as I did their last scene, where Blair told Dan she wanted to reassert her individuality. I thought Dan said just the right things to her, and to me it felt like a direct address from the writers to us about getting Blair back to her best self (and reassuring me that Dan was healthy for her).

inanityrules

inanityrules

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

I was legit cringing during Blair's speech but she honestly kind of made up for it by the end of the episode. It's unbelievable that the writers are letting her acknowledge just how deeply scarring the IP was. Shit like that doesn't just go away even if you forgive the people that orchestrated it. Blair seemed more self-aware than usual when she spoke about how she lost herself because she sold her life for a hotel and a fairytale - they were her mistakes, but she's willing to be deal with them and rectify them.

This is what should they have let her deal with in the last finale, not the OTT melodramatic awfulness that was Blair running back to Chuck like an abuse victim for the billionth time in 4-20, 21 and 22.

Dan fell for her in the W arc, aww. He was so calm and collected during the episode - even his reaction to Blair ruining his night seemed like disappointment, not self-righteous anger. His words to her were very uplifting and beautiful, that final scene made my heart melt into a pile of goo. Please don't fuck this up, writers.

Lily is a cold-hearted bitch, she was all kinds of awful to Rufus tonight. I felt for Serena during her scene with William though. I didn't like her lashing out at Lola like that but she was hurt and jealous - I can give her a pass for her behavior this time.

Jack Bass being Chuck's father has such gross implications for Chuck and Blair. Blair sleeping with Chuck's father? That's just plain nasty.

Nate should just stay shirtless in every episode. Although I'm sick of seeing Diana's sex scenes, get her off my TV screen please.

Overall, I liked the episode - one of the more entertaining ones this season.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

I think we need to steal Eric away from the Hamptons for an episode to smack some sense into Lily and Serena and have them realize how selfish and self absorbed they're being. Everything seems to be all about them. Remember the good old days, in season 1? Sure Lily was still a bitch but she had her children ground her more than anyone has ever done, not even Rufus. And since Serena is going off the rails, I think Eric needs to make one quick appearance at a party, throw some quick 'you all suck' speech and then leave.

I literally laughed at the last minute of the episode. Oh Chuck, you seriously need a new family. Like, stat. He has the worst messed up parents, aunts and potential parents that I have ever seen. It's entertaining, but I get why he's so messed up himself. I can't even be angry at him anymore.

Dair is adorable. Nate is adorable but needs to shut his mouth. I still feel sorry for Lola.

snarkmachine

snarkmachine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Serena was pretty sympathetic tonight. I cared about her for the first time since S1.

Blair was embarassing for most of the episode but it came together perfectly at the end. I'm not used to character-based motivations for things on this show, but kudos to the writers because Blair being lost and her lack of self-esteem after all the shit that's been flying at her from Chuck and Louis makes sense.

Dan was pretty great and so was his speech to Blair. I'm glad he didn't say "Just remember I'm Dan Humphrey and I love you" because a self-aggrandizing ego trip to himself is so not what Blair needs right now. These two together are pretty much perfect.

Edited by snarkmachine, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:33 PM.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I'm all for Jack being Chuck's biological father--the apple apparently didn't fall far from the tree, but geez, he must have been pretty young when he impregnated whoever he impregnated. Desmond H is 35, according to IMBD. I'll allow for a bit of creative license, but just how old are we expected to believe he is?

On the Dan and Blair front, they're starting to remind me of Seth and Summer from the OC--the improbable couple that finds itself perfectly matched and in it for the long haul. I hope the show can keep them together rather than subjecting them to the usual breakups and reunions. Just let them be the eye of the storm while the others circle around them in the usual Gossip Girl hurricane of relationship mellow dramas.

Brinny

Brinny

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Gah. Eric needs to come back. I understand that when an actor leaves a show (and therefore the character leaves as well), that you've got to work around it, but his presence is sorely missed. It was bad enough that he was "in Africa" when CeCe died, but his family is starting to fall apart and it's just hard to believe that he wouldn't be around to try and pick up the pieces.

I'm also still a little confused about the whole Chuck situation. So Elizabeth was his real mom, but Jack is probably his father? But I thought they needed a "family member" to donate blood, and Jack couldn't because of his Hep, and Elizabeth couldn't because she was out of the country. And how does Diana fit into all this. Did Bart and Jack like "swap spouses" or something?

Jack didn't donate because of the Hep-C, but it looks like Elizabeth would have had to. And Diana is just covering for both of them because she's getting paid? I'm guessing she probably has some other connection to the Bass family, maybe she really did date/fool around with Bart, or something.

Dan fell for her in the W arc, aww. He was so calm and collected during the episode - even his reaction to Blair ruining his night seemed like disappointment, not self-righteous anger. His words to her were very uplifting and beautiful, that final scene made my heart melt into a pile of goo. Please don't fuck this up, writers.

It is so weird seeing such a mature relationship on GG. I mean, Dan and Blair had a problem and then they sat down and talked about and even hugged it out. Crazy.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Well, I can't say I enjoyed the majority of this episode, it was so willy nilly. But amazing Boyfriend!Dan and Sleazebag!William VDW saved the episode, thank goodness.

I had to cover my eyes, literally, when Blair interrupted Dan's speech. I'm glad he was so understanding about it. Get it together, girl. You're my favorite!

Yes! Blair has been, and will always be, my favorite - so seeing her try to pull off a completely nonsensical, illogical, nutty cakes scheme was painful. She sounded like a loon toasting herself for her "anonymous" donation... eeeeh! It was so awful. I can't even think about it. Thank Jebus we got some explanation for her behavior near the end. The Dan/Blair end scene was a beauty, and it really helped soothe my freakout. Yeesh. I'm sort of stunned that little scene came from the same writer who created the rest of this mess of an episode.

I think Eric needs to make one quick appearance at a party, throw some quick 'you all suck' speech and then leave.

I'd support that.

I hated everyone else. Everyone! Well, except for Lola - since she's pretty much getting the shaft from every direction imaginable, so I did feel badly for her. And William being a dickwad was meanly fun to watch. I disliked pretty much everything else. Maybe William will come through for Lola and they can go off and be awesome together somewhere far, far away from the rest of that family.

When Chuck decided Jack is probably his actual father, I could only shake my head in bemusement. And why does Nate feel the need to blather other people's business to whomever happens to wander into his office?! Serena, Lily, Carol - all horrible people. Ivy is a damn fool to tear up that check. Rufus... I'm not quite sure what took him so long. Oy, it was all just sort of a big ol' mess.

Oh! Dorota was flaw free, per usual.

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

I really hope the writers didn't count on "Jack Bass is my father" to be some huge shocker. Between the people who suspected that would be an upcoming twist and the people who just don't care anymore... It's a good thing Ed Westwick is a good actor and nice to look at.

Dan and Blair are really sweet. I'm a fan of the pairing and I like them sweet, but I do feel like the writers are failing to use the potential of this relationship. Sweet can be boring, but angst doesn't have to come from the relationship itself, like with Chuck and Blair, it can be around the relationship. Serena is obviously bothered, for example, but the storylines have segregated the characters so far apart that they barely affect each other anymore. This compartmentalization is hurting the show in general, but I think it might end up hurting Dair as a pairing/storyline in particular as well.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

So now it's who's Chuck's dad instead of his mom? I wish this whole thing was done.

Serena is such a brat at times. It's always all about her. I want Lola to bring her down. Now that Lola has the password for GG what is she going to do? It looks like everyone who was ever theorized at being Gossip Girl is getting a turn, Georgina, Serena, Lola?

Ivy begging Lily to let her be a part of the family she tricked was pathetic. Take the money and go away. They don't like you anymore. You lied to them, kept Cece's illness a secret, just go.

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

Eric needs to come back. I understand that when an actor leaves a show (and therefore the character leaves as well), that you've got to work around it, but his presence is sorely missed.

Unfortunately for us, but fortunately for him, Eric's real life alter ego, Connor Paolo, is a series regular over on ABC's Revenge so I doubt we'll see him anytime soon. His character on Revenge is a blue collar teen who is usually dressed in Dan Humphrey-esque apparel, but he was wearing a prep school uniform in the last episode and I had a total Eric de ja vu moment.

In regards to Blair and Dan, it's almost disconcerting to see a Gossip Girl couple in a mature and healthy relationship. I like it. While I get that the show is bound to throw drama at them, I hope they keep working things out.

So much backstabbing in the Rhodes-van der Woodsen family drama! I'm trying to figure out who is working with whom? Is Ivy working with Daddy vdW? I know that Ivy doesn't have a family and that she's a little nuts, but what is her obsession with being part of the family? Talk about fixated.

Serena was pretty bitchy, but I legitimately felt bad for her tonight.

So Jack is Chuck's father. For the poster asking about his age upthread - Chuck is 21, and Desmond Harrington is 35, but I think we can assume that Jack is 40ish. I'd buy that he was around 20 when he fathered Chuck. If Blair hadn't miscarried, Chuck would've been a father at that age too. It's getting a little too soap opera-ish though that his father slept with his son's teenage girlfriend. It was bad enough when we thought Diana was his mother and she was sleeping with his best friend, but this is so many times worse. Although, we still don't know who Diana is. She didn't exist until 3 yrs ago and why is she so involved in the cover up.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

I adored all of the boys in this one (well, other than Rufus and Daddy VdW...but even them I didn't hate so much here).

Loved detective Nate, and the scene where he seduced Diana after she caught him had me giggling. His comment that he never saw himself as the type of guy to have sex with his friend's mother had me laughing, because I for one see Nate as exactly the type of guy that would do that.

I also really liked the way Chuck handled the whole thing between Nate and Diana. They really could have made the whole thing very dramatic and caused a lot of tension between Chuck and Nate but I'm happy they didn't. It's good that even Chuck is starting to see the funny side of his family drama...because it really is nuts.

I'm amazed at how much of a wonderful boyfriend Dan is to Blair, because I thought he was pretty terrible at times when he was dating Serena, and even with Vanessa too. He's pretty great for Blair though. I love how patient he is with her. While most people would put Blair's craziness in this episode down to her just being despicable, I think he was so calm with her because he knew that at the root of all of her craziness there was a girl who's self-esteem has taken a massive hit due to her past relationships which caused her to act the way she did in this episode. His "if you could only see what I see" was equally sweet and heartbreaking because I think it shows how much it upsets Dan that Blair cant see that there are a lot of parts of her that are lovable.

I actually felt my heart jump when Dan told her he'd been falling for her since their W internship, because that's exactly when I first started to see him begin to fall too. I've also found Dan pretty darn attractive these last few episodes, which is odd because just like Chuck I never really saw him to be particuarly hot or anything.

The ladies on the other hand I didn't love quite as much. I did feel for Ivy though, and surprisingly Serena. The last scene with her and William was pretty sad and touching.

I think the episode title was pretty appropriate given that for most of the episode Blair was pretty despicable. When Safran said that this episode was meant to be "vintage Blair", I was hoping he meant season 1 Blair. Turns out he meant cringeworthy season 2-3 Blair though. I was experiencing so much secondhand embarrassment when she interrupted Dan's speech. Her final scene with Dan saved it for me though. I've always felt that I can handle Blair's craziness a lot better when we're given an insight into her motives and POV (which is the same reason why I found her so insufferable in the first half of the season). I love that they finally acknowledged that Blair has been losing herself for quite some time now. It was nice to finally see some self-awareness for a change. After all, the first sign of recovery is admitting that you have a problem.

Never to be outdone though, Lily was the absolute worst. I could handle her getting Carol arrested, but her words to Rufus were just terrible. It's gotten to the stage where I don't even know why these two would love one another. It's obvious that she has no respect for him whatsoever. They don't seem to have anything in common apart from some history 20-odd years ago, and it's obvious that Lily is no longer that person. So what's left? They don't even seem to like one another as people let alone love one another. I used to think that they were the only sure best for endgame, but at this stage I'm almost willing to put more money behind Dan and Blair. At least they actually seem to like one another.

I think we need to steal Eric away from the Hamptons for an episode to smack some sense into Lily and Serena and have them realize how selfish and self absorbed they're being.

For sure. His contrast as the voice of reason has been sorely missed in the midst of all the Van der Woodsen/Rhodes drama. It'd also be nice for him to come back and be happy/smug seeing that Dan and Blair finally got together lol.

On the Dan and Blair front, they're starting to remind me of Seth and Summer from the OC--the improbable couple that finds itself perfectly matched and in it for the long haul. I hope the show can keep them together rather than subjecting them to the usual breakups and reunions. Just let them be the eye of the storm while the others circle around them in the usual Gossip Girl hurricane of relationship mellow dramas.

I'm starting to see that too. I'm expecting them to have a Seth/Summer-esque breakup in the finale though (ala OC season 1 finale). Whether they reunite after that though I don't know. I know anything is possible with this show, but to me they seem a lot more likely than Chuck/Blair. This episode made that clear to me, although I already felt it before. I've always felt that her Chuck drama ultimately ended up destroying Blair as a character, and even if my view was wrong, this episode made it clear to me that the writers feel the same. I find it very hard to believe even for GG that they'd admit something like that and then have them reunite in the end. I'm also not convinced that Jack really is Chuck's father, but if he is that really will be the final nail in the chair coffin you'd think. I'm sure Chuck and Blair could get through a lot, but Blair sleeping with Chuck's HIV positive rapist father you'd think would be a deal breaker. And I say that as a big fan of Jack...

One more thing that bugs me: Why are Chuck and Dan never involved in these Rhodes/VdW/Humphrey family dramas ?

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't bother trying to sort it all out. There will be some lameass plot about Chuck's mommydaddyuncle that nobody will be able to follow, filled with plot holes and retcons and some ending that won't make sense. And then it will all be retconned away in next season's inevitable plot-hole-filled, nonsensical storyline about Chuck's mommydaddyuncle issues.

Serena was pretty sympathetic tonight. I cared about her for the first time since S1.

Surprisingly I didn't want to strangle Serena tonight -- at least not until bitched at Lola. Okay, I get it, Serena's angry and sad and frustrated. And probably not thinking rationally. And she has a crappy father (and rightfully unloaded on him, good on you Serena). Still, it's awfully unfair to take it all out on Lola, who didn't do anything wrong in this case.

Well, Dan and Blair sorted out their issues like normal human beings. And there was good character development and continuity involved. All of this leads me to believe that they are doomed.

Edited by minneapple, Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

EBStarr

EBStarr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

Never to be outdone though, Lily was the absolute worst.

I agree (except for Rufus - I'll get to that later). Why do I feel like they're totally character-assassinating Lily? Rationally, I know that she was supposed to be this terrible, neglectful, unstable mother before the show started, but I just love her so much, it kills me to see her being this insane, crude, tacky villain who's obsessed with money and public revenge. I can't tell - is it out of character for her to be so tacky in public? I thought she kind of saved her insanity for the private realm of her own serial households, not the gross public realm of publicity and awkward schemes, like a Kardashian. But maybe I was blinded by my love of her as Chuck's stepmom...

Okay, but Rufus. Lily walks in, all "Let's put this behind us and be friends," and he responds with "That's not a very good apology." And then he has the nerve to turn on her for calling her house "my house" and accuse her of not being on the same team as he is? She was trying to make up without assigning blame, Rufus! Good lord. He really bugs me.

I loved Dan and Blair being mature (well, their relationship being mature, not Blair individually). It made me feel really bad for Serena, though. Whenever she dared to draw in a breath, Dan used to be like "You just did something awful because you're rich and worthless!" And then Blair pulls crazy stuff like this, totally ruining his night and being really kind of gross and awful, and he's so sympathetic and mature about it. Never bought Serena's newfound love for Dan as much more than a last gasp of jealousy, but man, it sucks for her that she got Dan in his awful snooty phase and not this new, awesome phase.

I didn't love that Dan and Blair didn't kiss a single time this episode. That does seem like a bad sign. Hoping to the powers that be that it is not!

Edited by EBStarr, Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:20 PM.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I'm sure Chuck and Blair could get through a lot, but Blair sleeping with Chuck's HIV positive rapist father you'd think would be a deal breaker. And I say that as a big fan of Jack...

Oops, Jack has Hepatitis C, not HIV. He's the Magic Johnson of Hep C, after all.

I do think Blair bringing up being traded for a hotel again, with the maybe daddy of Chuck, does scream deal breaker though. I was surprised she mentioned it, actually. But, good surprised. This show has such a habit of having something major happen to a character, and then never speaking of it again! er, miscarriage.

Still, it's awfully unfair to take it all out on Lola, who didn't do anything wrong in this case.

Yeah, I felt for Serena for a bit, but then I didn't get her taunting Lola about GG and then telling her to gtfo, basically. Is it any wonder Lola would want to bring her down? Oh, which reminds me. Serena is really the worst GG there could possibly be. Why would she just leave her GG password info laying about like that? Remember that part about, "That's a secret I'll never tell?" Serena? Eh? Eh!

Edited by Maka, Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:31 PM.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

• Interests:Stuff lol

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

Ugh Dan/Blair are so boring. I don't care about anything with them, and I don't buy Dan as this great celebrated author. Maybe in some dbag hipster community but not with actual authors. Although, maybe that's what kind of event he was at, heh.

I knew jack would be chucks dad. Of course this show would be that fucked up haha.

Also I loved lily and Serena tonight. I kow they can be nasty but thy are interesting/entertaining. And Lily just found out her sister had a baby with her husband. Of course she's gonna get revenge. Maybe she went kinda far but carol kind of deserves it.

And I felt for Serena. Her dad pretty much rejected her at first and now he's all protective of this new daughter? Of coyrse that's gonna make someone resentful. And why would she help Lola take down her own mother? Lola is stupid. And too goody to hoes. I don't like th character.

One more thing are Serena and Blair even friends anymore? I miss their friendship. It used to be a highlight of the show. Now Blair is always off with boring Dan.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

Oops, Jack has Hepatitis C, not HIV. He's the Magic Johnson of Hep C, after all.

Oh yes, my bad. Thanks! I still stand by my initial point though.

Why do I feel like they're totally character-assassinating Lily?

They did the same thing last season I thought when she was planning on selling Bass Industries without telling Chuck. Unfortunately the character assassination of Lily is up there with that of Serena and Blair. Her comment to Rufus tonight about him not being able to find another UES woman to look after him was just beyond terrible, and I don't even like Rufus.

Edited by Snapshots, Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:57 PM.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

Loved detective Nate, and the scene where he seduced Diana after she caught him had me giggling. His comment that he never saw himself as the type of guy to have sex with his friend's mother had me laughing, because I for one see Nate as exactly the type of guy that would do that.

Right? I sorta love that in the spy games, Nate is always playing the Honeypot. Well, that and that he'd be the worst spy ever since he Can.Not.Keep.His.Mouth.Shut! Dude, even if Lola didn't say please don't talk about my daddy drama, that does not mean it's cool to just throw it out there to the first person who brings up her name.

Speaking of which The Van der Rhodes to Hell is sorta entertaining, but I have trouble feeling bad for any of them. As soon as I feel sorry for one of them, he or she does something stupid (Lola with the GG stuff last week, Ivy with the Check this) or horrible (Serena with the bitchery, Lily - almost everything, Carol - actual everything, William - being William).

Holy Shit Lily! I get having Carol arrested, since she is kinda the worst in the least interesting way possible, but at the dinner table in front of a reporter and HER DAUGHTER? Good for William screwing you, but I do hope he takes care of Lola since it seems pretty clear he was right about Lily's indifference toward Lola. (I do think Lily would pay for her room and board, but I doubt she'd do more than her duty.)

Is it terrible that as much as I though Lily was a heinous bitch to Rufus, I totally didn't mind and actually kinda love the her Cece like control? Even her hair looked somehow more like Cece.

In other news, Poor Chuck. Wish I gave a shit. Someone call me when the mommy-go-round - the Daddy-Too! edition stops.

Finally Dair manages to be adorable even when Blair isn't. Well she is always adorable, but sometimes she's also a little awful. I love that they talk about things.

I like that Blair acknowledged that she needs to get back to being about Blair, not just whomever she's with, including Dan. She really lost sight of herself in all her (sometimes manufactured) drama with Chuck and Louis. Normally I would say it means she should be alone. But I actually think that the way was with her today, she can find herself while still being with him. Kudos to who ever mentioned that the scene on the stairs was well shot with in that Dan was saying their were equal while standing beneath her. If it was intentional, which I would like to believe it was, it says a lot that it's irrelevant if they are temporarily up or down, they are equal regardless.

In the mean time, they make me smile.

JamieNT

JamieNT

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

My guess is that that Elizabeth and Jack are Chuck's parents, and Jack also fathered a baby with Diana, so Chuck's half sibling donated the blood.

I'm beginning to think Lily has a brain tumor or something to explain for the complete personality shift. I mean she's always been upper handed, but I find it hard to believe that she would be this much of a bitch to Rufus.

Serena can die now. I had sympathy for her at first, but after her bitchiness to Lola at the end I was reminded of what a horrible human being she is.

Dan and Blair continue to be cute, but I really hope that this time when Blair learns a lesson it will stick for more than one episode.