Bronn: I'd Ask How Much

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

24 replies to this topic

aSnakeOnaPlane

aSnakeOnaPlane

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

No thread yet for Bronn?

I guess there's not that much material to talk about, but he is one of my favorites. I cheer every time he shows up on screen, and he always seems to get the best lines (second only to Tyrion). "There's no cure for being a c***." "You wouldn't know 'im." And of course, the one about killing babies that sums up his character: "Without question? No. I'd ask how much."

I'm glad they made him commander of the city watch for the show. Seeing how they've been shuffling around the minor characters pretty freely, I wonder what else they will do with him!

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Thanks for the thread!

Bronn is a very cool character. He's legitimately funny, a demonstrated badass, and just seems to enjoy himself a lot, which is rare for this show. He is definitely a killer, remorseless and without morals, but at least he owns it, and, this may actually make him a worse person, his charm is such it is easy to forget. Amory Lorch who captured Arya was coldly sadistic as he slowly killed Yoren, no passion, I described him in the episode thread as a 'reaver without charm', but that is certainly not Bronn.

I also love that his reputation must be getting around, or else he simply looks like a terrific badass, as Ser Meryn Trant of the Kingsguard looked in no hurry to take him on, and genuinely worried at Tyrion's threat to set Bronn on him.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

I like him, not only because he's a badass, but because he's a practical badass.

Not to mention, he genuinely seems to like Tyrion despite being a mercenary with no sense of honor/loyalty.

Edited by agora, Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:04 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

Favorite Bronn line:
Tyrion: "So that's the Eyrie, I hear it's impregnable."
Bronn: "Give me ten men with climbing spikes and I'll impregnate the bitch."

miasohn

miasohn

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

Yeah, Bronn is a fantastic character. Cold killing machine, but damn he's got a spirit to him that shines through. I think this is evident in how he and Tyrion have the same sense of humor. Remember at the Eyrie and Tyrion "confessing his crimes," Bronn was the only one chucking. Yeah, he'd probably sell Tyrion for the right amount but I truly think all things being equal he'd prefer to fight for Tyrion and the side of 'not evil.'

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

From being an anonymous sellsword at a nondescript inn in the middle of not particularly anywhere to being Commander of the City Watch in a few short (months?).

That's putting the up into upward mobility.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

Agreed I think he would give Tyrion the a little bit more luxury than someone else. I do think he likes him and Tyrion has certainly delivered on his promise and fast! Tyrion is def his father's son.

Aurinos

Aurinos

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

Add me to the list of people who love Bronn. He's not a good or decent man by any standards, but then again he doesn't pretend to be, either. What you see is what you get, which is a rare trait for the players in this game. For a sellsword in this world, Bronn's made it to a pretty decent age, and you can understand why given his attitude. The actor who plays him is magnificent, which makes it all the better. He has an amazingly weathered face, but behind that is a mischievous twinkle in his eye. And of course, he does have some of the best lines. "You didn't fight with honor!" "No. HE did."

Saint Adalberto

Saint Adalberto

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

Hello,

I love Bron, but I wonder about him and Tyrion.

There was this riddle that the Eunuch gave. About three powerful men each enticing a common sellsword to kill the other two.

Bron has always been upfront about the possibility of his loyalty being purchased by the highest bidder. Tyrion may not always be the highest bidder.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Bron has always been upfront about the possibility of his loyalty being purchased by the highest bidder. Tyrion may not always be the highest bidder.

Tyrion seems to have taken that into account by offering to beat any offer someone else has made, but as the power riddle tells us, even for an uncomplicated sellsword like Bronn, if he decides there is more he wants, someone else could get in there.

Aurinos

Aurinos

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

Side note: how did I not know THIS about Bronn's actor?

miasohn

miasohn

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Holy...

My mind has never been more blown.

aSnakeOnaPlane

aSnakeOnaPlane

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

Aurinos, that link is amazing. I would never have recognized him in a million years....

He's gotten way hotter since the '90's!!

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

To me, that's the best thing about them. Like the Hound put it on the pilot episode, it's not worth it if you pay for it and, despite Tyrion has paid for Bronn's, his friendship seems to be the first thing Tyrion has actually earned.

Of course, there's no way to test my theory unless a higher bidder actually tries to buy the mercenary.

wraith808

wraith808

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Of course, there's no way to test my theory unless a higher bidder actually tries to buy the mercenary.

Mal: How come you didn't turn on me, Jayne?
Jayne: Money wasn't good enough.
Mal: What happens when it is?
Jayne: Well... that'll be an interesting day.
Mal: I imagine it will.

And that's exactly how I see the relationship between Tyrion and Bronn.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

To me, that's the best thing about them. Like the Hound put it on the pilot episode, it's not worth it if you pay for it and, despite Tyrion has paid for Bronn's, his friendship seems to be the first thing Tyrion has actually earned.

Mal: How come you didn't turn on me, Jayne?
Jayne: Money wasn't good enough.
Mal: What happens when it is?
Jayne: Well... that'll be an interesting day.
Mal: I imagine it will.

And that's exactly how I see the relationship between Tyrion and Bronn.

I don't think we've seen enough from Bronn's perspective in order to say which way it'll go. Like Ned used to say, Bronn has served him well when serve him was safe. However, since Bronn didn't run from his service when Tyrion was judged or his father sent him to battle last season, I'm not so sure if he would actually sell him out myself.

Edited by agora, May 6, 2012 @ 1:17 PM.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:02 AM

Was Bronn at the riot last night? He is commander of the Gold Cloaks, but I don't recall seeing him.

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Was Bronn at the riot last night? He is commander of the Gold Cloaks, but I don't recall seeing him.

He may have been busy elsewhere. Most of the protection around the royal party was, naturally, the Kingsguard (white cloaks), so the city guard was probably not thought to be needed.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 4:26 AM

An uncharacteristically serious Bronn once again. I like it. He's a darkly funny guy, but he knows the reality of what is about to go on and even his quipping levels had to be dialled down.

Interesting that Tyrion seems to be having trouble controlling his minion a little though. Tyrion's gave him a job and he's doing it without filling Tyrion in on the details, and apparently Tyrion was not totally happy about it.

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

I love that we got an explanation for why he doesn't wear the cloak, and that it is typical Bronn.

Euphony

Euphony

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

Bronn is a smart guy. He will not turn on Tyrion for a higher bidder, because he knows Tyrion will be in continuous need of his service and will pay well on a consistent basis. Turning on Tyrion for a one time cash grab makes no sense. If Tyrion falls out of power, Bronn wouldn't hesitate to throw his lot in with another. But actually helping to take Tyrion down for a one time paycheck would be short sighted. Bronn has an excellent deal with Tyrion, especially given that for Tyrion having to pay for loyalty and/or affection doesn't prevent him from reciprocating it.

Blood

Blood

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

He's not just being payed in gold either, but in opportunities. The last commander of the City Watch was made lord of Harrenhall, even if it didn't last long. That's some major climbing in social class I'm sure Bronn did not miss.

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Littlefinger was also offered the lordship of Harrenhall for his cooperation.

Harrenhall strikes me as the sort of "gift" that Rulers have used for centuries use to defang troublesome-but-wealthy upstarts while co-opting them into the System. It's too socially-prestigious a "gift" to openly-refuse, yet in accepting it's a black-hole that drains-off resources and manpower that might otherwise be used to cause trouble at Court.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

Where were you Bronn?

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:38 AM

Bronn fans should check out Jerome Flynn on BBC/BBCAmerica's Ripper Street. From what I've read (I've never watched GoT), the two characters have a few things in common -- only Street's DS Drake is a truly good man.

And Flynn looks to be remarkable in both roles.

Edited by voiceover, Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:39 AM.