Keegan Connor Tracy as Blue Fairy: She's on the "Right" Side

• Please log in to reply

94 replies to this topic

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

I hope it's okay to start a topic for her, since there is discussion about what her true motives are.

What does she mean by saying she's on the "right" side? Is she good? Is she evil? Is she in between?

How powerful is she? Or does she seem quite limited in her power?

Does she remember her past from Fairy Tale Land?

Does she have an agenda?

From the episode thread for "The Return":

I too think the Blue Fairy is evil through and through. She's got Big Bad stamped all over her Amy-Acker-hating wings. And her Mother Superior is just chilling. If Rumple and the Queen remember the curse, then I'm guessing that she does too - she's more powerful than them both combined and all three had a part to play in the creation/execution of the curse.

While I think she was a bit harsh and judgemental with Astrid in "Dreamy", and maybe she does have an agenda, but I can't see her as being as evil as Rumplestiltskin and Regina.

I mean, she could have killed Jiminy after turning him into a cricket like Rumple did that snail, but she didn't.

Edited by Camera One, Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:38 AM.

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:36 AM

I do not think that the Blue Fairy is evil. Maybe grey and not very open-minded, but I mostly see her as someone, who is powerful, but not powerful enough to undo all evil, and who has to cope with it in her own way.

That said, I do think she's in cahoots with August/the one August was speaking to on the telephone, for several reasons:

1. I'm sure August is Pinocchio, and the Blue Fairy (or the Fairy with the turquoise hair) is from the original Pinocchio tale and was a friend of him. So that makes sense. Maybe she did some magic to save him from the curse.
2. Someone must have told August about Rumpy's story. And other than Gold himself, the only ones, who know about it, are the Blue Fairy and Baelfire. And we already saw August sepaking with Mother Superior.
3. The Blue Fairy is a powerful magical being, who knew about the curse. If Regina and Rumpelstiltskin can keep their memorys posisbly with the help of some magic, she could have done it as well. She probably wasn't powerful enough to stop the curse from happening, but made sure that she at least remembers. So she was trapped in Storybrooke for 28 years, unable to do anything, and pretended not to remember, not to arise suspicion from Regina or Gold. Then, when she saw the clock moving, she tried to alert Pinocchio, which she succeeded at a few weeks later.

Edited by Hick, Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:36 AM.

AntBee

AntBee

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

Thanks for starting this topic. I thought about doing it last night since there was a lot of speculation in this week's episode thread about what her true motives are, but I didn't was too lazy to Google the actress' name.

What does she mean by saying she's on the "right" side? Is she good? Is she evil? Is she in between?

You and Hick are probably both right, and she'll be somewhere in between. After Dreamy though, I like to believe that she's going to turn out to be the true big bad. This episode certainly didn't help dispel that idea. While it was solely Rumpelstiltskin's fault for letting go, she just seemed pretty suspicious in her whole dealings with Bae. If she does turn out to be good, I don't know if it's the writing or the actress, but imo, when she's trying to "help", she always seems like she's up to something. Plus, Rumpelstiltskin loves to remind everyone that magic comes with some sort of prices, even "good" magic, I think, so I think that will factor into her story line somewhere.

Or maybe she's not evil right now, but I could see her becoming that way while trying to keep the status quo of everyone returning to the Enchanted Forest when it seems like right now, perhaps many of the characters would rather stay in this world, or if they do return, they would definitely not want to return to how things were there before.

How powerful is she? Or does she seem quite limited in her power?

I would say that she's up there with Regina and Rumpelstiltskin. I would say stronger than Regina, just because of Morraine said about her, but maybe about equal to Rumpelstiltskin.

Does she remember her past from Fairy Tale Land?

Although there hasn't been any proof that she does, there seems to be some fans who think that anyone who had super magical ability in the Enchanted World does seem to remember, so I think she does.

Does she have an agenda?

Plus, I think it was her working with August, and not Bae or someone else. I'm not sure if Bae necessarily knows the truth yet about his father being in the same world with him for 28 years, and while he may have changed and been hardened, it seemed out of character for Bae to tell August that he needs to control Rumpelstiltskin with the dagger. Of course, if it was the Blue Fairy working with August, I wonder why she didn't know that the magic wouldn't work in this world too.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

If she is truly the oldest and most powerful force in the Lands and the fairies are the beings charged with stewardship over the entire world, then I can see Blue spending her time trying to maintain a state of equilibrium between the forces of the world. Hence her calling herself "right," rather than good or evil. She does what must be done to keep the world in order; others' interpretations of her actions are irrelevant to her.

I'd think that attitude combined with how long she's been at this gig could definitely lead to the small mindedness we saw in Dreamy. And as someone else pointed out, no one, not even Nova, knows about the fairy dust that fell on Grumpy. As far as Blue and Boss Dwarf knew, Grumpy was delusional, and his attempt at romance with Nova would just end up hurting both of them in the end.

Edited by oldandnewfirm, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:49 AM.

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

I have a question @everybody, who thinks, that the Blue Fairy is evil and the true mastermind behind the curse.

Why? Why should she do this? She's already one of the most powerful beings in the Fairytale world. So why should she create a spell, where all that power is taken from her. As far as I can see, she loses everything and gains nothing from the curse. So what interest should an evil!Blue Fairy, who is probably out for power, have in using or creating that Curse?

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

The Blue Fairy is a powerful magical being, who knew about the curse.

Why didn't she tell Snow White it was coming?

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

Because she didn't know, that it was coming? Knowing, that such a curse exists is not the same, as knowing, that someone has really used it.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

Because she didn't know, that it was coming? Knowing, that such a curse exists is not the same, as knowing, that someone has really used it.

She certainly wasn't completely forthcoming about the Curse. A little more on the "QT" and Snow White could have been saved. It seems like the Blue Fairy (and Rumplestitltskin) wanted only the infant saved! If that's the case, she isn't such a good character.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

She certainly wasn't completely forthcoming about the Curse.

At what point? Because there is no reason at all the Blue Fairy should have known Regina was using a curse created by Rumpel (and thus would not have known the nature of the curse) prior to Charming and Snow's conversation with Rumpelstiltskin. I can't recall what specifically he told them and if it was enough that she would have known that he made the curse Regina was using or what it would do, but there was definitely no way (from what Regina said) that she would have known before that. I'm assuming, of course, that Charming and Snow told The Blue Fairy everything they knew.

A little more on the "QT" and Snow White could have been saved.

How? How would Snow and Charming knowing more lead to the wardrobe being finished sooner? Obviously, if the Blue Fairy knew about the tree earlier, it would, but we don't have any indication that she did. Unless you think they could have found someone else who knew something and could help them?

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I wonder if Regina also hates Mother Superior/The Blue Fairy, or if she sees her as a threat. It might be interesting to see them sparring...

goldberry71

goldberry71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

I watched "The Return" again last night. This time with my son, who missed the original airing. He said it's obvious that the Blue Fairy told August about the dagger, but he thinks she did it in Fairy Tale Land shortly before the curse hit. He doesn't think that Mother Superior remembers who she is. I have a feeling we might learn a little more about this in next week's episode. If August is Pinnochio, I could see the Blue Fairy being particularly interesting in helping/saving him since she is so intertwined in his being and his fate.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

I want the Blue Fairy to be ambiguous like Rumpel only playing for the other (good) side. I always like those characters who are inflexible and made questionable choices but are over all working towards a good goal even if their methods to getting there aren't ideal. But once too often I've been burned with network tv making those character pretty irredeemably evil as some kind of "twist" (the angels in Supernatural at the end of season 4 come to mind). I have a feeling the Blue Fairy may eventually jump off the slipper slope she's on when the writers run out of ideas.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

She certainly wasn't completely forthcoming about the Curse. A little more on the "QT" and Snow White could have been saved. It seems like the Blue Fairy (and Rumplestitltskin) wanted only the infant saved! If that's the case, she isn't such a good character.

Why should Snow be saved above the hundreds of other citizens of the Enchanted Forest? The only person that needed to be saved (and I use that term lightly, they don't have it so bad in Storybrooke) is the savior, and that happened to be Emma. I think that Emma was indeed supposed to come to our world so that she grew up tough, smart and strong (none of which we see enough of) enough to battle both Regina and Rumple. Seems there is always a method to the Blue Fairys' madness. Much like with Jimminy, she couldnt' restore his partents or solve his problems, she can "help," him solve his problems and learn to be a better person, and maybe thats the point of the curse...the endgame is that maybe, just maybe one of the other of Rumple or Regina will be redeemed.

The Blue Fairy's power...The Blue Fairy is more powerful then Rumple, that was said in the episode. However, she can't control or destroy him, just as Rumple is more powerful then Regina and he can't control or destroy her. I think that in Fairy Tale land there has to be a balance between good and evil, just like in our world. "Bad," people like Regina exist for some kind of purpose, the problem with Rumple is that his brand of bad seems to come outside of their world and therefore repugnant to the Blue Fairy in ways Regina may no be. I would however love to see no nonsense Mother "Superior," (these writers) and Mayor Regina but heads.

I think she may know more then she let on. Time has stopped in Storybrooke so it wasn't as if they were loosing out on anything. As soon as the savior came and time started, as someone upthread pointed out, she went to work, and called August whomever he is, back to convince Emma. Once again, she could (if she does indeed remember) go to Emma and convince her herself, but it seems she likes to sit back and let other find their way.

And to anyone who had nuns in school, I love that the Mother Superior is kind of controlling and judgemental busy body. And anyone who hates baby voiced Amy Archer is pluses in my book!!! I think she was so mean to both her and Grumpy and she hated to be in that episode as much an I hated to watch it.!

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:51 AM

Why should Snow be saved above the hundreds of other citizens of the Enchanted Forest? The only person that needed to be saved (and I use that term lightly, they don't have it so bad in Storybrooke) is the savior, and that happened to be Emma.

You might recall that Emma was in Snow White's uterus at the time. Also, you should inquire of Emma as to whether she would have preferred growing up with her mother instead of a string of foster homes.

Cassis

Cassis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

Yeah, I am firmly on the side that that blue flibbertigibbet is Up to No Good, and if she is not THE Big Bad, she is at least a bigger bad than Regina or Rumpel. The mere fact that she is supposedly if not the embodiment of, at least the representative of, the most ancient and powerful magic makes her suspicious in and of itself. Then there are:

1. The fairies use cloned slave labor to mine magic. That is morally irredeemable right there. Then there is the fact that the mining implies that magic is a nonrenewable resource--and Rumpel's mantra that magic always comes with a price supports this--which the fairies, and Blue as their leader, want to keep in their complete control.

2. In FTL, true love is THE highest good and strongest magic. If so, why not let Dreamy and Nova try for it? Maybe it's not possible for them, maybe they'll be hurt, but the reward should be worth the risk.

3. When someone claims she doesn't lie and then says she is on the "right" side, not the "good" one, that is a RED FLAG.

4. This may be a failure of the actress--I haven't seen her in anything else--but she did look extremely shifty when she was giving Bae the beans. She was holding something back.

5. She did goad Rumpel into making the curse. He mentions dimensional jumpers; she could easily have said, "Hey, there's this hat you should know about." Instead she played the "don't throw me into the briar patch" game.

And on a personal level, these fluffy little fairies with their godawful dresses piss me off, and I would personally much prefer if OUAT took the lead of True Blood and it turned out that Blue and her followers are actually the Fair Folk.

Why? Why should she do this? She's already one of the most powerful beings in the Fairytale world. So why should she create a spell, where all that power is taken from her. As far as I can see, she loses everything and gains nothing from the curse. So what interest should an evil!Blue Fairy, who is probably out for power, have in using or creating that Curse?

Until this last episode, we were asking the same thing about Rumpelstiltskin.

(If I were to guess at this point, it would be something to do with putting all magic permanently and completely under fairy control, but we really don't know enough to speculate as yet.)

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

1. The fairies use cloned slave labor to mine magic. That is morally irredeemable right there. Then there is the fact that the mining implies that magic is a nonrenewable resource--and Rumpel's mantra that magic always comes with a price supports this--which the fairies, and Blue as their leader, want to keep in their complete control.

Except that they don't seem to be slaves. They are willing to be there. The Blue Fairy asks, not orders, Dreamy to reject Nova. Likewise, Nova was able to leave, but simply lost her wings for leaving her job. The fairies don't seem to be in command of the dwarves to me. Bossy manages the dwarves and the Blue Fairy manages the the fairies, and neither is in service to the other, but instead both in service to the world in general. I'm more of the mind that all of them, fairies and dwarves alike, were created to their purposes. The fairies have no more or less free will and ability to leave than the dwarves.

And, the dwarves don't seem to be clones (albeit they are not created sexually). Actually, we don't know if fairies come from a similar process or not. No one has said fairies aren't capable of falling in love, but we've never seen a male fairy, so I really don't know what's going there.

Also, the Seven Dwarves later left the Dwarf mines - they live above ground in a cottage and later are at the war meetings and the like. They don't act like escaped slaves or seem to be on the run, even when interacting with the Blue Fairy. Plus, the others don't seem to think Dreamy will be dragged back or anything when they all hug him goodbye.

2. In FTL, true love is THE highest good and strongest magic. If so, why not let Dreamy and Nova try for it? Maybe it's not possible for them, maybe they'll be hurt, but the reward should be worth the risk.

Because it's not possible. There's no "maybe" from the Blue Fairy's perspective. It's like a person that claims to be able to fly - do you let them jump off a building? The Blue Fairy believes it can bring only pain. She's wrong, not evil.

3. When someone claims she doesn't lie and then says she is on the "right" side, not the "good" one, that is a RED FLAG.

Maybe it's because I'm a comic book fan and still watch cartoons, but I've seen as many good guys as bad make this claim.

4. This may be a failure of the actress--I haven't seen her in anything else--but she did look extremely shifty when she was giving Bae the beans. She was holding something back.

Subjective - I don't see it. But as it is a matter of opinion, mine's worth no more than anyone else's.

5. She did goad Rumpel into making the curse. He mentions dimensional jumpers; she could easily have said, "Hey, there's this hat you should know about." Instead she played the "don't throw me into the briar patch" game.

IMO, she did not goad him. There's no reason to think the hat (if it existed then) would have a door to this world. She said those things didn't work because they didn't. She reacted the way she did about the curse because it would work, at horrific cost.

She may turn out to be a baddie, but I don't see an iota of evidence for it at this moment.

Edited by Tzigone, Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:43 AM.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

You might recall that Emma was in Snow White's uterus at the time. Also, you should inquire of Emma as to whether she would have preferred growing up with her mother instead of a string of foster homes

Dem's the breaks kid. The Enchanted Forest is a tough place and Regina and Rumple aren't exactly the nicest, most trust worthy, forgiving opponents. Emma needed street smarts (granted due to plot contrivances we haven't actually seen her use a lot of them past the first two episodes ) just like Snow had to develop hers, the hard way. Emma developed self reliance, bull shit detection (granted again, due to plot contrivances we haven't seen a lot of that) a hard edge and toughness, but still is a decent person...so it actually worked out quite well.

Besides, Emma or Snow should have no more say about how they ended up then the hundreds of other cursed, down to the lowest scullery maid. If the Blue Fairy is who she says she is (and I am not convinced that is the case, this show needs twists and turns to survive more then a season or two) I am sure she had a lot of other things on her mind with the impending curse, and not just Snow.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

Does anyone else wonder if there might ever be a flashback storyline with Rumpel trying to discover the Blue Fairy's actual name? That is, assuming she has name like Nova, and isn't just "the Blue Fairy" or "Ruel Ghorm" - those sound more like descriptions than names to me.

temo

temo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

Cassis, word to your entire post. I've been totally sure she's evil since she interfered with Nova and Dreamy. She treats her underlings badly, both in FTL and Storybrooke. Why shouldn't dwarves be allowed to fall in love, and why can't a fairy? I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out she was how Cora discovered Rumple's name if we ever see the story of the 'Miller's Daughter'.

However, there's something to be said for her being on the 'right' side. I think some of the most evil people in history really and truly thought they were 'right'.

It's an interesting question about why she would do this? I'm not convinced she knows about the curse and though her current role begs a certain respect, it wields NO power. Perhaps she thought the curse would not affect the fairy realm?

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

I think her saying she's on the right side might be a call back to the Others of Lost who kept referring to themselves as "the good guys". The reality was...complex. It was a very Grey and Gray Morality show.

Cassis

Cassis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Except that they don't seem to be slaves. They are willing to be there. ...Also, the [[s]Eight[/s]] Seven Dwarves later left the Dwarf mines - they live above ground in a cottage and later are at the war meetings and the like. They don't act like escaped slaves or seem to be on the run, even when interacting with the Blue Fairy. Plus, the others don't seem to think Dreamy will be dragged back or anything when they all hug him goodbye.

I didn't see any career counselors at the dwarf hatching. You hatch, you are handed your pickaxe (which either defines or knows your personality, and gives you your name), are told "we work and we like it," and heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to hard labor you go. No choices involved.

The "we like it" part just says brainwashed slavery. Or genetically preprogrammed, in sci-fi terms. ("Clone" was just my shorthand for "artificially reproduced life-forms.")

And the dwarves in the Disneyed Snow White movie lived in a cottage but still went off to mine, I believe, so we don't necessarily know that they escaped the mines. And by the time of the wedding and later war councils, those seven are the personal friends/guard/posse of Queen Snow White, so they are in a special situation. (Just like the war council also included a werewolf and a badass knitting ex-werewolf.) Did we see random dwarves at the wedding? Or anywhere other than dwarf tavern?

I'm more of the mind that all of them, fairies and dwarves alike, were created to their purposes. The fairies have no more or less free will and ability to leave than the dwarves.

That's possible, but IMO puts Blue (as the person in charge of TWO slave races) in an even worse light.

Because it's not possible. There's no "maybe" from the Blue Fairy's perspective. It's like a person that claims to be able to fly - do you let them jump off a building?

That's not a good analogy, because heartbreak =/= death. In fact, several characters (Grumpy, Belle, Mary Margaret) count the memories of being in love as worth the pain of heartbreak.

Maybe it's because I'm a comic book fan and still watch cartoons, but I've seen as many good guys as bad make this claim.

I love me some comics, and I honestly can't remember a case when a person who said "right" without specifying "good" was either a) not evil, or b) not supposed to be suspected of being evil.

However, there's something to be said for her being on the 'right' side. I think some of the most evil people in history really and truly thought they were 'right'.

I think 99.99% of evil people think they are on the "right" side (even if by that they only mean "winning" side). It's only good people who angst about whether their side is good.

Subjective - I don't see it. But as it is a matter of opinion, mine's worth no more than anyone else's.

Fair point.

IMO, she did not goad him. There's no reason to think the hat (if it existed then) would have a door to this world. She said those things didn't work because they didn't. She reacted the way she did about the curse because it would work, at horrific cost.

Setting aside whether ANY of those options could work (Jefferson's particular hat might not have existed or have led to the right world, but magic of that type existed and could possibly be worked with), Blue did seem to me to be goading him. "Well, even if it existed YOU couldn't do it, and even if you could, you don't have the guts," is how I'd translate that. It reminded me a lot of the scene in which Rumpel told Regina she'd have to sacrifice the thing she REALLY loved if she wanted to make the curse work.

Does anyone else wonder if there might ever be a flashback storyline with Rumpel trying to discover the Blue Fairy's actual name?

Oh, I could definitely see this. What would it be--Titania? Mab?

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

I didn't see any career counselors at the dwarf hatching. You hatch, you are handed your pickaxe (which either defines or knows your personality, and gives you your name), are told "we work and we like it," and heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to hard labor you go. No choices involved.

The "we like it" part just says brainwashed slavery. Or genetically preprogrammed, in sci-fi terms. ("Clone" was just my shorthand for "artificially reproduced life-forms.")

And the dwarves in the Disneyed Snow White movie lived in a cottage but still went off to mine, I believe, so we don't necessarily know that they escaped the mines. And by the time of the wedding and later war councils, those seven are the personal friends/guard/posse of Queen Snow White, so they are in a special situation. (Just like the war council also included a werewolf and a badass knitting ex-werewolf.) Did we see random dwarves at the wedding? Or anywhere other than dwarf tavern?

I just don't agree with this assessment. I think they do like mining. Not that they are brainwashed into liking it, but just that Bossy is explaining the world as he sees it. I don't know about genetic programming - possibly, but I'd guess the same is true of fairies in that case. More likely, I'd say they fall victim to the role of "other" race in fiction. Like all Vulcans are logical, all Klingons are warriors, etc (occasional exceptions, but there is a certain general "type"). Like brownies or leprechauns in their folktales all have the same personalities/likes/etc. Because they are conceived of as a group, a type, rather than individual entities.

And why would an uber-powerful eternal fairy slavemaster grant them special status for being pals with a mortal, short-lived, unmagical royal family?

I see no indication in the show they are prisoners in the mines. Dreamy is talked to when he wants to leave, not whipped, imprisoned, etc. He's convinced, not ordered. IMO, Bossy and Blue are portrayed like parents who are so sure they know what's best and really care about the kids, but don't have a clue.

I do think the Seven left the dwarf mines for the cottage. Partially because the boss/payment/stealing thing makes no sense to me in the context of the dwarf mines - he wouldn't be sent to George's prison in that case, I wouldn't think, but instead be under whatever law the dwarves have.

I don't recall seeing other dwarves, but dwarves like mining. My guess is the vast majority of them don't want leave, the same way the vast majority of fairies want to be fairies. The species was created by the authors with that mentality (and I doubt we'll see many ogres and/or trolls walking around and mixing with human society either - that's not their role in the narrative). Perhaps dwarves and fairies were created by some other force, within the story, with that mentality. But if that is the case, I'd guess the same is true of Blue and Bossy.

That really is the issue - were they made to like mining in order to mine fairy dust or did they (monolithic fictional species that they are) simply love mining and so found their niche in this way? Did dwarves as society decide to operate this way? Is it forced (IMO, no)? Did someone else create them to purpose or did they simply exist and choose this purpose? All the same questions apply to fairies.

I should also mention here that I read Forgotten Realms and some other fantasy fiction of the sort, and I've seen Lord of the Rings, and dwarves as miners is very, very common - I mean, for the entire species to live in mines, etc by choice. I assume it comes from the mythology. So for them to be envisioned the same way in this show seems fairly normal to me.

I'm more of the mind that all of them, fairies and dwarves alike, were created to their purposes. The fairies have no more or less free will and ability to leave than the dwarves.

That's possible, but IMO puts Blue (as the person in charge of TWO slave races) in an even worse light.

Except that I don't see her as in charge of the dwarves - that's Bossy. I don't see them as slave races, since they have the freedom to leave. And I see Bossy and Blue created for their purposes, just as the others were, in indeed the species were made to order.

Edited by Tzigone, Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:14 PM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

I'll add, for those who were not LOST viewers (since these are writers from LOST), that the theme of 'Them vs Us', 'Good vs Evil', 'Right side vs Wrong side' was a big theme in LOST.. and it was NEVER as straight up as it seemed. Those who thought they were on the 'right side' and doing things for all the 'right reasons' ended up having their faith misplaced in the wrong things and doing a great deal of evil for the 'right causes' (in their minds) etc..

As for the Dwarves, I think they have tried to show us that they were created with a beehive-like mentality.. worker bees. Not so much brainwashed slaves per se, but that they were created to not think or question about anything other than the work for which they were created. It will depend upon who the Queen Bee is and how they came about, as to whether they are enslaved or done wrong by. Were they created as part of a power-scheme? Or did they happen naturally into being miners? Still, it seems a sad life if they are not free to choose another path without being coerced otherwise.

It would greatly surprise me if the writers created any being that is completely one-dimensional, this includes the Blue Fairy.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

I'll add, for those who were not LOST viewers (since these are writers from LOST), that the theme of 'Them vs Us', 'Good vs Evil', 'Right side vs Wrong side' was a big theme in LOST.. and it was NEVER as straight up as it seemed.

Well, I didn't watch Lost. So far, Regina and Rumpel have been evil, IMO, and Snow and Charming have been good with right and wrong extremely clearly defined. If we have a "gray v. gray" battle instead of a "good v. evil" then I'll quit watching. It's not my thing. But until then, I'm going by what I see on this show. I'm sure I'll be wrong sometimes; that's how it goes.

Edited by Tzigone, Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:16 PM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

The only person that needed to be saved (and I use that term lightly, they don't have it so bad in Storybrooke) is the savior, and that happened to be Emma. I think that Emma was indeed supposed to come to our world so that she grew up tough, smart and strong (none of which we see enough of) enough to battle both Regina and Rumple.

I think they have it extremely bad in Storybrooke. Before Emma arrived, they were unable to grow or change or form new relationships. They couldn't seek their own happiness or even form long-term memories. Even if our world is superior to Fairy-Tale World, being cursed is worse than not being cursed. Even if the curse just dooms then to 'slight unhappiness' they are still trapped in that state and not even aging forever.

And I don't think that a kid forced to try to survive on their own and who might come through it stronger or might be far too broken to be of any use (if they survive!) is the only way to make Emmat he savior. I think her badass parents could have taught her a thing or two to make sure she was ready.

Why? The right side and the good side are usually synonymous and if people think they are on one they will think they are on the other regardless of whether this is true or not. If she said she was on the winning side then I would have been suspicious.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Why? The right side and the good side are usually synonymous and if people think they are on one they will think they are on the other regardless of whether this is true or not. If she said she was on the winning side then I would have been suspicious.

In many wars opposing sides each claim to be on the 'right' side. In the TV show 'LOST' people often claimed to be on the 'right' side.. only to later find out they had misplaced their trust in the wrong things. In this type of show, with these writers, it would not surprise me if they used the words 'right side' (instead of the 'good' side) very intentionally .. especially now that we know the Blue fairy lies.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Yeah, but when that side claims to be the right one, whether they are misguided or not, they pretty much always think it's the good side, otherwise they wouldn't be on it.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Yeah, but when that side claims to be the right one, whether they are misguided or not, they pretty much always think it's the good side, otherwise they wouldn't be on it.

So true.. but that does not make them necessarily 'good' for the purposes of everyone in the big picture of this story. I am pretty sure every evil despot in history thought they were 'right' and had convinced themselves they were on the 'good' side. The question is, how many can they convince of their viewpoint.

Dream Girl

Dream Girl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I get absolutely no evil vibes from the Blue Fairy. All I've seen her do is:

1) Keep an army of fairies working hard for the benefit of all Fairy Tale Land

2) Grant wishes to good (but desperate) people. Sadly, she can't control the end results. That's up to the people themselves.

Also, I don't sense that her Storybrooke nun-self remembers Fairy Tale Land. But you never know . . . .

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

I agree that I haven't seen any signs that Blue is evil. Yes she lied abut the trees carrying capacity but I can excuse that since she was trying to save the world's last chance at surrvival.

However I think she remembers. Didn't August say he found out about the dagger because "a little fairy told me"? Also in "The Stranger" at the end of the War Room meeting she says she gathering the fairies to "make preperations". I don't thimk the rest of the fairies remember, Astrid showed no signs of it but I think Mother Superior does.