14-10: 2012.04.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

117 replies to this topic

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

Jaleel's score seems fair in the context of the other scores. At the same though everyone is being overscored. I don't think anyone deserved a 10, but if Jaleel & Katherine (and Donald?) got 9s, then everyone else needed to be bumped down.

I really want to like William and Cheryl but they are falling flat for me. I don't feel the chemistry (but maybe that's because I keep comparing them to the awesome that was Giles & Cheryl), and William still seems stuck in his head sometimes. I think the pairings this years were off. Except for Donald & Peta and Katherine/Mark, I would have gone in a different direction. Maybe Melissa with Derek, Maria with Maks, Jaleel with Cheryl, William with Karina? Not sure but definitely not what we have now.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

I personally thought Motown week turned out to be a bad idea because none of the dances seemed to fit very well with the music, and I was kind of upset to see how badly Martha Reeves sings anymore. I mean, she's a living legend, she shouldn't have to sing for her supper anymore, but she shouldn't, either. And I think the show figured that out real quick because I noticed she only sang one song, heavily augmented with back-up singers, while the Temptations and Smoky Robinson each sang for more than one couple. It makes me nervous to think what Gladys Knight sounds like these days.

I always find the marathon interesting because it's such a schoolyard pick and telegraphs who the judges want to see in the finals and who they see as disposable, so I was downright shocked when Derek and Maria went out second. I never thought I'd live to see a day when a Hough went out so early in any competition. I think it's also an indication of who they know needs extra points more because of their limited fanbases, so maybe William and Cheryl aren't getting nearly as many votes as the producers were expecting. I doubt Katherine is either. She's quite lovely but she has almost no built-in fan base like some of the others who have powerhouse voting bases. I think fans probably vote for Derek and Maks regardless of who they're paired with. Mark Ballas, not so much.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

I personally thought Motown week turned out to be a bad idea because none of the dances seemed to fit very well with the music, and I was kind of upset to see how badly Martha Reeves sings anymore. I mean, she's a living legend, she shouldn't have to sing for her supper anymore, but she shouldn't, either. And I think the show figured that out real quick because I noticed she only sang one song, heavily augmented with back-up singers, while the Temptations and Smoky Robinson each sang for more than one couple. It makes me nervous to think what Gladys Knight sounds like these days.

She was pretty good in that Tyler Perry movie a couple of years ago. I know Gladys Knight has been headlining a Vegas show and not doing the oldies tour like The Temptations

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

It makes me nervous to think what Gladys Knight sounds like these days.

Gladys performed at the Detroit Pistons' half time show at the beginning of March. She pretty much killed it, and is in waay better vocal shape than anyone that performed last night (as much as I loved then).

I was downright shocked when Derek and Maria went out second.

So was I, but in a good way. Honestly, Maria was sucking canal water. She just can.not.cha.cha.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Perhaps Len could explain to the class why Cheryl and William's rumba was so objectionable, seeing as how he said NOTHING when Derek laid on top of Maria on the same dance floor a few weeks back.

Add to that inconsistency Len telling Tristan he wanted more "heat" in his rumba with Gladys. That even skeeved out Tristan, according to his EW blog.

Maybe Derek and Maria got voted out of the marathon early because Bruno and Len wanted to see the Classic Hough Crotch Bob and there was no reason to keep him around if Maria refused to do it.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

Deleted because Twickenham beat me to it.

Edited by designing1, Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:36 PM.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Maybe Melissa with Derek, Maria with Maks, Jaleel with Cheryl, William with Karina?

I like these pairing better, too. I'm afraid that after Tristan/Gladys leaves tonight (sorry, but they will lose the dance off with Roshon), I'm just not invested in any of the couples. I would love to see William (I am not a fan, BTW) with Karina and Maria with Maks especially.

Twick, thanks for that link to Gladys at the Pistons. Holy cow, the woman is more than legend.

Which reminds me, I loved her hair last night, it was so classic 60s, complete with the little bow on top. And I am familiar with 60s hairstyles, thank you very much!

I also love the color purple.

Fishyswa

Fishyswa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

personally thought Motown week turned out to be a bad idea because none of the dances seemed to fit very well with the music, and I was kind of upset to see how badly Martha Reeves sings anymore.

When I first saw what they called the Temptations, I thought "when did they hire Ruben Studdard???". One of their songs was painfully slower than the original. Sometimes retirement isn't a bad thing.

DanDanNoodles

DanDanNoodles

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

Katherine's false modesty is becoming tiresome.

Why do you think it is false? Not everyone is a me-first, look-at-how-great-I-am breast beater. I see nothing from Katherine but genuine humility, class, and grace.

Chelsie has a right to be upset - there have been lifts virtually every week (Peta in particular seems to be the lift queen), and yet Chelsie gets called out because she can't keep her toe down? Call them all, or don't bother, but don't start the BS of calling them selectively.

That I can agree with. But you are asking for consistency from CAI, which is a tall order. Chelsie has been on the show long enough that she should know better. Duck your head and play to the crowd.

Edited by DanDanNoodles, Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:18 PM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Just confirmed by Tom Bergeron via Twitter - NO double-elimination tonight:

Nope. Dance Duels tonight and next Tuesday but after that (ominous music cue)...

No no double-elimination for at least this week and next...

But you are asking for consistency from CAI, which is a tall order.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer... :P

I like these pairing better, too. I'm afraid that after Tristan/Gladys leaves tonight (sorry, but they will lose the dance off with Roshon), I'm just not invested in any of the couples. I would love to see William (I am not a fan, BTW) with Karina and Maria with Maks especially.

After not quite being sure of some of the pairings (Melissa and Maks especially) before the season started, I actually quite like them. The only thing is I would have liked to see William with someone who didn't pimp him out quite so much and actually, you know, taught him how to dance. Maria with Maks and Cheryl with Jaleel would both have been disasters of epic proportions, IMO

Gavin and Karina were charming, and Gladys & Tristan are just the Dream Team as far as I'm concerned. They just might be the most adorable DWTS team ever, and I'm just so glad for Tristan that he's gotten to live this whole experience... :)

thanks for that link to Gladys at the Pistons. Holy cow, the woman is more than legend

I'm keeping an eye on her website, and the minute she's in concert anywhere I can reach, I'm so there. Same for Gavin, actually. :)

Edited by Twickenham, Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:38 PM.

Riahsha

Riahsha

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

There are other dance shows that concentrate on technical abilities. The concept of this one was supposed to be to take celebrities and have them do the best they can. We should be seeing growth and with some, we do. I don't watch to see the best technical dancers, I watch to feel something when I see the dance. There are very few celebrities that entertain when they dance. The ones that TPTB want gone are the only ones who I care about watching dance. My favorites are Melissa and Gladys. I also like Donald and Roshon. Those four are so happy to be there and to dance. I feel nothing watching the others.

That dance marathon was a sham. We only get to see what the cameras show us, but from what I saw the couples doing the most actual dancing were Roshon and Chelsie, Donald and Peta, and Jaleel and Kym.

This will be my last season watching and voting. If they get celebrities I'm interested in for future shows, I will catch their dances on YouTube without the bs.

Best wishes to those that hang in there!

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Dance Duels tonight and next Tuesday but after that (ominous music cue)...

So I'm guessing that means they get rid of Gladys tonight, Melissa next week, then they are left with TPTB's favorites so they no longer need the Dance Duel.

Gavin and Karina were charming, and Gladys & Tristan are just the Dream Team as far as I'm concerned.

Twick, were we separated at birth? WORD to this! I would have been beyond thrilled if either won that stupid ball trophy.

Edited by SaberTail, Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:53 PM.

MusicaDolce

MusicaDolce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

As for the dances, Cheryl should be embarrassed at that crap she choreographed. Step step, grind, slide hands up body....rinse and repeat. He is a better dancer than she gave him moves to work with.

I am hating Cheryl's choreography, and I get the feeling William is, too. Like someone said last week, it should be about the illusion of passion, not about getting R-rated on the dance floor. He needs more content and less groping

I tend to agree with both of these statements, but I've also been wondering - how much of this is really Cheryl's idea, and how much of it comes from producers telling her to emphasis William's sexiness or whatever? I just wonder if she's being really encouraged to play that up, and if maybe she's not the one we should be frustrated with.

But I'm also getting tired of Melissa feeling like she has to declare how much she loves him. Just let the dances speak for themselves and stop showing that inflamatory rehearsal footage.

I agree, and in past weeks, her whole "I love my partner" schtick really annoyed me. But last night, in the context of their awful rehearsal clips, her fawning over Maks actually made sense and I thought it was quite appropriate of her to say.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

Otis Williams is the only Temp that was even a Temp the last time they had a hit. He's the lone survivor of the line-up that was depicted in the movie that gets run on VH-1 on a monthly basis.

I think with the Four Tops (who were always my favorites), their biggest hits had the powerhouse Levi Stubbs on main vocal. Stubbs passed away last year. With the Temps, they had several different lead singers, depending on the song. I think it's harder to find one main, distinctive voice like Stubbs than it is to replace a guy who sang lead on a few hits (like David Ruffin), and another who sang lead on a few more (Eddie Kendricks) and another who sang lead on the rest (Dennis Edwards).

Besides, Levi Stubbs voice was flat out amazing. There are some voices that are distinctive, and he's one. Marvin Gay would be another.

I was wondering if Otis had hired Warren Sapp to sing lead. Heh. That one guy certainly looked like him! And he does need money, it seems.

I think the pairings this years were off. Except for Donald & Peta and Katherine/Mark, I would have gone in a different direction. Maybe Melissa with Derek, Maria with Maks, Jaleel with Cheryl, William with Karina? Not sure but definitely not what we have now.

Completely agree, and I like your suggestions. However, for some reason, I can't see them giving Maks the younger partner that would seem to (on paper) get him farther in the competition than Golden Boy would. That simply cannot happen!

I think Donald and Kym or Donald and Karina would have worked well, too.

Edited by ChicksDigScars, Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:36 PM.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

Maria with Maks especially

I'm actually surprised they didn't go with this pairing. Though I think it would've produced a showmance that made Erin and Maks pale in comparison and frankly I'd rather not see that again.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

• Interests:baseball (Phillies!!), cleaning up after the husband, my cat, lasagna, antique cars, folklore, theology, antique clocks, nerdy history stuff, Joseph Cotten films

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

I don't post in this forum often, but I have to say that overall, the ladies looked lovely this night. Gladys looked like a million bucks. I loved Peta's eye makeup and hair, Katherine's beehive, and Melissa's green dress.

I would rather hear the singing legends we heard last night, fading voices and all, than a current "talent" autotuned to the hilt. At least they're natural.

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

there have been lifts virtually every week (Peta in particular seems to be the lift queen)

I don't agree. Aside from the one week where CAI said she would not take off for lists, she has been consistent. There are some dances which allow for lifts and, when Peta got that dance, she took advantage of it but she hasn't done any lifts in dances that didn't allow them.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

My tv feed cut out before the dance marathon, so I didn't know that Maria had expressly vetoed Derek's signature crotch bob. She just went up a few points in my estimation for that, heh.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

she hasn't done any lifts in dances that didn't allow them.

Off the top of my head: the first night, during their cha-cha, there was a move where she wraps herself around Donald's leg - by the 'toe-off-the-floor' rule used by CAI last night, she should have been called for a lift. Also, during their quickstep the next week, there was a point where she jumped up and then did a split down-and-up - which was an even more obvious lift. Both of these were pointed out by Louis in his blogs, BTW.

CaliBabyDolly

CaliBabyDolly

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

Martha Reeves' dress was an accident waiting to happen. How they got that dress on her is beyond me...I was expecting a nip to pop out and Janet Jackson us all!

Gladys can come back and sing later on like Michael Bolten did, except we will want her to sing. He had such a terrible attitude, didn't he? Tristin is by far the best pro she could have hoped for. She deserved him!

Spatz was really insane with the neon green suit and those extra spins after they won the marathon were just icing on his cake! What a tool he is!

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

I thought most of he Pros did a good job blending Motown flavor with the specific dance style assigned. One of the reasons they do these theme nights must be to challenge/ interest the Pros - and I think most of them rose well to the challenge. Mark, Derek, Maks, and Chelsie’s choreography specifically stood out for me.

She was thinking too much, rather than getting into the spirit of the dance (which she actually did with the jive). Mark is starting to over-dance again.

I’m going to blame the Motown flavor that Mark introduced into the dance. While I think Katherine was technically good, for some reason she didn’t appear comfortable with the Motown feel/ sway. Mark tried to lead her into it, but just came off as over-dancing. Again. Which he had done in the past. A lot. To his and the dance’s detriment.

It was great to have Berry Gordy in the audience as well.

Does anyone else think Mr. Gordy looks exactly like Nipsey Russell?

Whoa, very surprised with Roshon's and Chelsie's rumba.

Chelsie brought it last night – choreo and performance, and Roshon did his best (which wasn’t too bad, and I do think he is improving) to keep up. I enjoyed their dance, but it was mostly because of Chelsie.

The marathon was ridiculous. I did enjoy Tom’s commentary.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Did anyone else notice that Derek and Maria started in the dark, i.e. outside their spotlight, and actually stayed there for a good bit of their Cha Cha? I think this had something to do with why they were asked to bow out early.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

I could have watched Anna & Val dance ALL night. I thought it was the highlight of the whole evening.

Smokey was spookey!!! I thought he was on drugs or something, but he sounded okay. What in hell did he do to his face. Lordy!!

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

Can someone explain to me why you would ever buy a Human Nature album? From their performance on the show, it seems like they copy the vocal arrangements and dance moves of the original artists they're covering pretty much verbatim, so why—aside from possibly wanting to see a younger, snappier group perform live—would you ever choose them over the originals??

I'd be pretty sure their bread and butter is doing live shows, not selling albums. The original Motown groups that performe live don't sing that well anymore, or are on their second or third generation of replacement singers anyway.

Smokey provided an explanation as to why that group was on the show in his OTRC interview.

Basically he said HE brought this group to the states (they're an Australian group that is very popular over there). He was pleased that there are still young people who love Motown and he wanted to bring them to the U.S. and help spread the love.

Truckhorse

Truckhorse

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

It also seemed vaguely insulting to have the white group mimicking the Motown arrangements. Nowadays everybody cringes at the concept of "blackface", but I think of this kind of thing as "blackvoice" and find it uncomfortably similar.

Can't agree with this. If someone said that about black people singing opera, he or she would be called racist. Ultimately, it's the sign of maturity for an art form that it crosses cultural lines. It's a good thing.

Speaking of dream pairings, here's two I've been thinking about:

1) Roshon with Anna Trebunskaya. I gather the producers think it's natural to put a cute youngster with a cute youngster, but so much of Roshon's 'story' seems to be about learning to tap into the man he's yet to become, so how much more heat would that have if he were being taught to dance by an older woman? He was already sensual in his rumba with Chelsie, but I think with Anna, it would have melted some TV screens.

2) Katherine with Tony Dovolani. She's European and a classical singer, and there's something very old-world about Tony. He'd be man to her woman in a way that Mark just isn't (yet). And while this seems unfair to say, since Mark did such great choreo for their tango, I would've loved to see Tony dance that tango with Katherine. Plus I just think Tony's overdue for a final-3 contender.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

Gladys can come back and sing later on like Michael Bolten did, except we will want her to sing. He had such a terrible attitude, didn't he? Tristin is by far the best pro she could have hoped for. She deserved him!

And Gavin? Can Gavin come back and sing? I miss Gavin!

There's a song on his new CD called "Sweeter" (which is also the name of the album) that has a nice beat and could be quite a sexy dance. Hello, Val....

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Per Louis, Gavin's coming back next week with Karina and Louis dancing.

Edited by designing1, Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:51 AM.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

2) Katherine with Tony Dovolani. She's European and a classical singer, and there's something very old-world about Tony. He'd be man to her woman in a way that Mark just isn't (yet). And while this seems unfair to say, since Mark did such great choreo for their tango, I would've loved to see Tony dance that tango with Katherine. Plus I just think Tony's overdue for a final-3 contender.

Tony has had 2 real contenders at Final 3 - Stacey Keibler and Melissa Rycroft. Stacey could have won Season 2 over Drew Lachey, but Tony's choreography for their final dance was unbelivably bad. Melissa wasn't going to win against Gilles Marini or Shawn Johnson, but she was a contender.

Looking forward to hearing Gavin sing next week. I really came to like him.

Edited by MeeMaw, Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:44 AM.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

I loved Katherine and Mark's samba...Katherine looked loose and comfortable to me and I thought Mark did a great job of incorporating the Motown theme into the dance. So I was surprised to come online and see so many negative comments.

I thought the cha cha marathon was one of the more competitive ones they've had...the order could have gone several different ways and I was happy that it wasn't as predictable as it could have been.

I think fans probably vote for Derek and Maks regardless of who they're paired with. Mark Ballas, not so much.

Well, this Mark fan votes exclusively for Mark and I know many other Markettes who do as well. The fact that Katherine is a great dancer and partner just makes it that much more of a pleasure.