14-10: 2012.04.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

117 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

This week's episode of "Dancing with the Stars" presents a Motown special with live performances from Motown legends Smokey Robinson, The Temptations and Martha Reeves throughout the evening. The legends kick off the show, performing an unforgettable live Motown medley accompanied by the Troupe. For the first time ever, each artist will perform with the talented "DWTS" band and musical director Harold Wheeler before each of the remaining eight couples begin their competitive dance. During a special performance with dancers Anna Trebunskaya and Val Chmerkovskiy, Smokey Robinson will perform his No.1 hit song, "Tears of a Clown." Also joining in on the excitement is vocal group Human Nature, performing some of Motown's most popular hits throughout the evening. And to finish the show we will feature a special Motown Dance Marathon, where the couples will be showing off their classic dance moves from the Motown era.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Derek got eliminated second in the marathon, but Mark and his horrific neon green suit got first - call it even?

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

I seriously didn't think it was possible for me to dislike Mark more than I have this season and then came the dance marathon. I am so tired of his manic over dancing. Derek is a show off too, but he just never annoys me on the level Mark does.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

TOTAL judging bs on Maria and Roshon. She was overscored and he was overcriticized. I guess it's that time of season.

I know I say I love Gladys every week, so this week I'll say I adore her. Plus she looked fantastic.

Melissa was better. Donald struggled but it wasn't bad. Katherine did her best to get down with her bad self.

I still think Jaleel did well last week, and did better this week--but 10s? And William at least got a little fair criticism.

Oh, and not a fan of the dance duel or the marathon or any other score manipulations. Isn't it enough the scores themselves so often feel manipulated?

TiredMe

TiredMe

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

The dance off seems to always be for Mark and his partners that I guess don't get votes. And leaving William in that long when all he was doing was knee sliding??? WTF

As for the dances, Cheryl should be embarassed at that crap she choreographed. Step step, grind, slide hands up body....rinse and repeat. He is a better dancer than she gave him moves to work with.

Jaleel was fantastic and it appears that Kim has complete trust in him. They must be past their issues.

I love Gladys but it really is her time. Don't think she'll go on Motown week but she really should. Its becoming painful.

Edited by TiredMe, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:08 PM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

The judges were full of shit regarding Roshon. He specifically wasn't clipped, at least in the way a lot of male celebs on this show are. Also, he did more dancing than most males typically do during the Rumba. That's one of the reasons why I liked the synchronization. For me that was by far the best Rumba of the night, and it isn't even close. Absolute joke that CAI gave that the same score as Gladys. I like Gladys, but she literally did almost nothing. We all could do that shit. Ugh.

Maria & Derek's Foxtrot had absolutely no rise and fall to it. I literally thought that they were doing a Quickstep, until they broke apart. There was like two seconds of rise and fall toward the end.

Katherine had good movement quality, but she looked a little unsure of herself a few times facially. She didn't seem to fully just lose herself in it, so I don't think that it was deserving of 10s, though I really like her. Still, if they're giving some of the other crap 10s, then...

Jaleel's Cha-Cha had very little Cha-Cha content, and that's frustrating, because during rehearsals, he looked amazing. I think he could have handled more. Also, sometimes I don't mind lack of content if the dancing that they are doing is really spectacular and good, but it just wasn't. Jaleel was dancing way too sharp and it had no real flow. Disappointing, especially since I think he can do a lot more & better.

Whatever@Will and Cheryl. I was looking forward to it, and it was so very blah. Except for the so very cheesy ending. Cheryl should not be allowed any more beefcakes. She makes me cringe with how corny some of her stuff is when she has them.

Melissa's Waltz was the best she's ever danced. Which sucks because I wanted her gone. Dammit.

Hmmm, not only did they underscore Rashon in the Rumba, he went out way early in the marathon. Well, the show has finally managed to get me to actually vote with real effort tonight. Probably all for naught, since he's been in the bottom 2 even when they scored him well. Ah well. I'll still vote. He deserves to stay, IMO.

Katherine & Mark looked like the only ones doing actual Cha-Cha throughout the marathon. For all the shit Mark gets, he at least really teaches his celebs. Wtf was Will doing sliding on his knees three times during the Cha-Cha marathon? What has that got to do with anything?

Edited by QueenL, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:36 PM.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Okay, I am whiter than white and I am offended that they trotted out those 4 white guys to sing Motown songs. WTF? You have Gladys Knight, Smokey, (some of) The Temptations and Berry Gordy there and then you go all Pat Boone on them? Just not right.

Speaking of not right - putting Gladys and Tristan first? I hope they get the viewer votes to keep them out of the bottom two because I would hate to see her go during Motown week. Poor Tristan can't win. Len told him before his rumba w/Nancy Grace not to sex it up too much because it wouldn't be appropriate, and then Bruno tells him that he didn't sex up the rumba enough with Gladys who is way older still.

A 10 for William, Bruno? What will you give him if he actually dances next time?

K. Jenkins is starting to get on my nerves with her disingenuous surprised act when she gets her 10s.

I felt bad for Donald that he messed up a little. He is becoming my favorite next to Gladys. His kids are adorable.

Maks is such an asshole. They can't show it on tv if you don't say it, you douche.

superfamous

superfamous

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Katherine and William are not the pets? Yeah, right. I think I called them being the final two in the marathon and once that happened, I changed the channel. As a Bears fan, it a sin to praise a Packer, but I think Donald was rocking it in the marathon.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

BallasIsADouche. I just can't say it enough. I feel bad because I genuinely love Katherine's dancing, but I will not vote for that DB. Ever.

Loved Donald. Do not love Peta. I find her cold & not a good choreographer. I really wish he'd gotten a different pro- Kym would've been perfect.

I love Gladys. She embodies class & elegance.

That dance marathon was so predictable. They obviously want to minimize the audience vote as much as possible- it's gettinf borderline offensive.

I have been a huge Smokey Robinson fan all of my life- but what the hell was with the bizarre stare as he sang? The facelift he got several years ago is still scary, but the star made me really uncomfortable.

Now off to watch Dance Floor Confidential...

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I can't believe Katherine and Mark won the dance marathon! I thought there were 2 or 3 couples who were better than them. But why not... afterall they were overscored during their regular dance too.

And when Melissa and Maks were coming up the stairs.... did it look to anyone else like he was limping? Or was he just goofing up the stairs.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

TOTAL judging bs on Maria and Roshon. She was overscored and he was overcriticized. I guess it's that time of season.

SFT. Maria is paired with a golden boy, so she herself gets a pass. Roshon is being sent packing soon.

I loved Gladys tonight - but she's gone tomorrow, I'm sure. I threw all my votes her way anywhoo. I wish it would be William. Jaleel wasn't bad tonight - he's gotten on the wrong side of fans for that fiasco a few weeks back. He can't be in the finals.

The music was fabulous. C'mon, how could it not be great? Loved the Tempations, Smokey. But I've always loves Martha Reeves. So good to see & hear these folks do what they do best.

Forgot to add Donald! He is such a pleasure to watch. Love his attitude.

Edited by hoosier, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:18 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Man, tonight's show kinda sucked.

I was happy that Melissa danced the best she ever has, but other than that- blech. Spatz is back, overdancing and everything. I think William is pretty hot, but 2nd in the dance marathon? No freaking way.

ETA- the Smokey stare really creeped me out.

Edited by Runningwild, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

superfamous

superfamous

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

K. Jenkins is starting to get on my nerves with her disingenuous surprised act when she gets her 10s.

That's why I can't support the girl. She's so fake. And she's paired with Mark.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

I can't believe Katherine and Mark won the dance marathon! I thought there were 2 or 3 couples who were better than them. But why not... afterall they were overscored during their regular dance too.

I think she's a good dancer, but she's not the best ever. Has there been a week where she hasn't gotten a 10 (aside from possibly week 1)? It's ridiculous and frankly it smacks of desperately trying to protect her because she isn't getting fan votes.

At this point why do they bother having people call in?

shadylane

shadylane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

The judges are totally baffling. Roshon got screwed. He danced very well. Donald gets underscored every week. He has such charisma and charm. I feel like Peta choreographs some great dances for him that are always crowd pleasers. Of course, both of these guys got knocked out of the dance marathon too early as well. With Donald, I am really beginning to think that the judges just don't want another NFL player winner.

Jaleel was great and deserved his scores. Katherine's dance didn't do it for me tonight. She seemed a bit stiff and I could feel her counting out the steps in her head. William, who I usually like, didn't dance. He stood around, swiveled his hips while Cheryl twirled. Melissa had her best dance but never seems to be having fun while dancing. And I just love Gladyce.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I think Katherine and Mark were fantastic and deserved all of the points they were awarded tonight. During the marathon, they were really dancing the whole time, unlike William who was sliding around the floor and playing up to Bruno. I think William should have been out before Jaleel or Donald.

Maria and Golden Boy were overscored on their dance again. I think William was too by Bruno. Len had his score right. They have been really tough on Roshon and Chelsie. I liked their dance.

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Gladys/Tristian- I can't help it but I loved her performance. Tristian dressed s David Ruffian and the song My Girl made the performance magical. Despite this it's her time to go. She's the weakest dancer left.

William/Cherly- It was definitely hot but there wasn't much dancing.

Melissa/Maks- Melissa is trying so hard and it shows. I loved her tonight. Didn't hurt that she was dancing t Smokey Robinson.

Roshon/Chelsie- It was hot in some parts but I agreed with the judges. It was jerky and choppy. Not at all what a rhumba should be.

Donald/Peta- Thought the song choice was wrong for the dance. It was okay. A bit overscored IMO.

Maria/Derek- It was good. That singer was so off-key I wouldn't be surprised if that's what threw Maria off.

Katherine/Mark- It was good but I've seen better from her

Jaleel/Kym- The best I've sen from him.

Final Thoughts
- I hated all the live performers except Smokey. Hearing them sing made me long to get the original songs. That Martha chick was the worst of all.

The XZFactor

The XZFactor

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, movies, writing

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

The dance off seems to always be for Mark and his partners that I guess don't get votes. And leaving William in that long when all he was doing was knee sliding??? WTF

As for the dances, Cheryl should be embarassed at that crap she choreographed. Step step, grind, slide hands up body....rinse and repeat. He is a better dancer than she gave him moves to work with.

Jaleel was fantastic and it appears that Kim has complete trust in him. They must be past their issues.

ICAM with this. I was actually taken aback that Carria Ann actually offered constructive criticism to William and mentioned how they didn't do much dancing in that dance. And WTF was with those stupid knee slides in the marathon. It's stupid, but fine, to do it once but he went to that well way too often and lasted waaaaaay too long.

I have been a huge Smokey Robinson fan all of my life- but what the hell was with the bizarre stare as he sang? The facelift he got several years ago is still scary, but the star made me really uncomfortable.

As soon as he appeared on camera I noticed the weird stare and was creeped out. I got used to it after awhile but that was disconcerting and uncomfortable.

I'll say it again: Stop scoring William with your cock, Bruno!!!! I wish he'd just wank to images of the man off camera and leave it off the dance floor.

I was definitely shocked to see Maria and Derek leave the marathon so early. He usually wins those or at least comes in pretty high.

Gah, Mark and those stupid spatz and that stupid lime green outfit during the marathon. Ugh, I just don't like him. And I know Katherine is a good dancer, but I just feel so blah whenever I watch her dance, especially her faster paced dances like tonight.

Maks is such a douche. I know almost all of his partners say that his attitude helps spur them on but he is like vying with Mark for the title of King Douche. I can see why some of them like him because he can be charming. I did laugh a little at his "ugly partner" joke but there's no reason for him to be so relentlessly brutal the way he is.

Anyway, I think this was Melissa's best dance but there's something so awkward I find about her every time she dances. I hope she leaves before Gladys. Gladys can be awkward too but she, like they said tonight, has so much charisma.

I don't really like Roshon's personality but I do think he was hosed tonight on his scores. I HATE the rhumba and yet, I really enjoyed their dance tonight.

Edited by The XZFactor, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:48 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

~My Dancing with the Stars 14 Week 6 Review~

Preface- A fun night overall. A few really over scored dances and a marathon that really separate the top from the bottom.

1. Gladys & Tristan (Rumba) 21/30: Look, it’s Week 6, and while their Rumba was sweet and inspiring, it wasn’t danced all that well. She did seem to have a bit of hip action but she seemed like she wasn’t sure of all the steps and didn’t seem to have a really good connection with Tristan. I could feel it, but not as strong as some others. My score: 20/30

2. Maria & Derek (Foxtrot) 26/30: It wasn’t the best dance but not her worst. She had great posture in hold and moved well. It just lacked that special little spark that I saw with her Rumba which still for me is her best dance. So sad that she had little slip at the stairs, though. With her only getting 4 points in the marathon she might end up in the bottom 2, but she would be saved for sure. My score: 26/30

3. Roshon & Chelsie (Rumba) 23/30: I was looking at my notes from last week’s Salsa and it did seem like some of the critiques apply here as well. It needed to be more controlled and fluid and it was just too much staccato and not fluid. The actual performance itself was good, but it was maybe his worst dance. My score: 23/30

4. Katherine & Mark (Samba) 29/30: Was a bit worried with the Samba but once again, Katherine proved me wrong. She was having fun and her technique was absolutely spot on. The song did work well for a Samba. I wish she had a chance to do a more Latin styled Samba, but at least she still has Salsa left to do this season. It was a superb performance, and my favorite one of the night! My score: 29/30

5. Donald & Peta (Foxtrot) 27/30: It was good, I just can’t find myself getting wildly exciting when he dances because there’s just something that rubs me the wrong way with him slightly. Can’t put my finger on it, maybe it’s the desperation I sense to get a 10 or the anger he shows (not tonight) when he doesn’t get a 10. It was a nice Foxtrot with good posture, but it was just not my favorite. My score: 26/30

6. Melissa & Maks (Viennese Waltz) 24/30: It was for sure her best dance. She finally got to do a smooth, lyrical ballroom dance and it seems like that’s where she excels. It wasn’t perfect, but I would’ve snuck a 9 in her scores. She had good rotation and good posture and some of her lines bordered on great. Could be enough to make another week, but I’m not sure. My score: 25/30

7. Jaleel & Kym (Cha Cha) 29/30: Welcome to “Let’s wildly over score this dance” Part 1. Ok, so it might have been his best dance since his Foxtrot, but he shouldn’t just be rewarded for doing a great dance after 4 mediocre ones in a row. It wasn’t bad, but I just didn’t see how it warranted 10’s. I just saw it as their way to make sure he stays in this week. I don’t know why they’ve invested so much in him. There’s about 3 or 4 others who danced better than him. My score: 26/30

8. William & Cheryl (Rumba) 27/30: Welcome back to part 2 of “Let’s wildly over score this dance.” Ok, so that whole smoke stunt in the video was incredibly stupid and just another excuse for them to pander at his looks. He basically stood in one spot, and only moving a few times to twirk Cheryl or slightly move his hips or caress her. There’s more to Rumba than that. This proved that Bruno has no idea what he’s talking about. For once, Carrie Ann had her dance glasses on and not her “WILLIAM IS SO OMG HOT, OMFG” glasses. My score: 27/30

Cha Cha Motown Marathon:
-So Glad Katherine won that. For someone who has yet to do a solo Cha Cha, she was doing damn well and kept her stamina up all 4 minutes of that. Even Mark seemed more winded than her. She’s clearly in great shape! Surprised that Maria got kicked out 2nd. She was sort of stiff, but I thought the judges were on strict orders to get Derek further in that marathon, like he has in the past.

Sugakates78

Sugakates78

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

They should have called the cha cha marathon the "lift-athon" or "stunt-athon". And yes, WTF, William? But regardless of the ridiculous overscoring, the judges might as well have handed Katherine the trophy tonight. I think they propped her up even more than Willy. And as others have noted, I just can't get excited about her. She's gorgeous and a technically good dancer, but there's just no suspense there. You always know it's going to be a tongue bath. I guess Gladys will be saying goodbye tomorrow, unfortunately. She may have still had a chance hade it not been for the marathon. I think they need to choose EITHER a marathon or dance-off, but not both the same week. Gives the 3 Stooges way too much power.

simba12

simba12

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

Thanks for that unbiased critique...I really didn't see that 29 for Katherine coming.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

At this point why do they bother having people call in?

I think this is the reason for the falling ratings, although the press never talks about it. The show treats viewers like an afterthought. They make their pets clear early on and never let go. This is another season where the people who aren't supposed to be there tend to be more interesting than the big favorites. I just don't have any interest in bland non-personalities like Katherine or William, and I think Melissa, Maria (who apparently exists solely to be an injured blow-up doll) and Jaleel are unwatchable. At this point the only one I care about seeing is Gladys Knight.

Edited by O2Sean, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:57 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

It's a shame they didn't have Gladys sing. She danced first and it would have been really easy to let her perform later for one of the celebrity dancers. Gladys is currently touring every week and already has her songs well rehearsed. One quick rehearsal for camera blocking, earlier today was all she needed to perform.

Gladys looked 20 years younger tonight. It reminded me of when I saw her in the early 80's. She's lost some weight dancing and it's taken years off her.

I'm a big fan of Katherine. But, I thought she was over scored. Her arm movements seemed hesitant and there's was no snap to them. Where was the Welsh Wiggler tonight? I was expecting a lot of shimmy from her top. She's got plenty to shake. I was expecting the judges to give her three 8's.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:33 PM.

MusicaDolce

MusicaDolce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

I was definitely shocked to see Maria and Derek leave the marathon so early. He usually wins those or at least comes in pretty high.

ITA - it was shocking for him to go out that early. I also thought that, at the end of the show when everyone was lined up, Maria and Derek looked pretty subdued, and I'd even say Derek looked kind of mad. Perhaps someone's not used to not being the favorite?

And when Melissa and Maks were coming up the stairs.... did it look to anyone else like he was limping? Or was he just goofing up the stairs.

I thought something looked strange as well; when he was walking off the floor after their dance, he seemed to be walking quite slowly. Maybe he just wanted to put off talking with robo-Brooke for as long as possible?

MHCBadDude

MHCBadDude

Couch Potato

• Interests:Sports. NEO. Family. Golden Girls. Grey's Anatomy. Dancing with the Stars. Cheese. School. Walgreens (unfortunately). That's it.

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

8. William & Cheryl (Rumba) 27/30: Welcome back to part 2 of “Let’s wildly over score this dance.” Ok, so that whole smoke stunt in the video was incredibly stupid and just another excuse for them to pander at his looks. He basically stood in one spot, and only moving a few times to twirk Cheryl or slightly move his hips or caress her. There’s more to Rumba than that. This proved that Bruno has no idea what he’s talking about. For once, Carrie Ann had her dance glasses on and not her “WILLIAM IS SO OMG HOT, OMFG” glasses. My score: 27/30

If you gave them the same score, how is it over scoring?

That marathon was a fucking joke. What was that shit William was doing and how did he get eliminated second to last? I just hate how Bruno keeps scoring him. I also knew Katherne would win it. I am surprised Maria and Derek got eliminated second. Surprise elimination tomorrow, hopefully (just not Donald).

Edited by MHCBadDude, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:14 PM.

JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

The judges were full of shit regarding Roshon. He specifically wasn't clipped, at least in the way a lot of male celebs on this show are. Also, he did more dancing than most males typically do during the Rumba. That's one of the reasons why I liked the synchronization. For me that was by far the best Rumba of the night, and it isn't even close. Absolute joke that CAI gave that the same score as Gladys. I like Gladys, but she literally did almost nothing. We all could do that shit. Ugh.

Maria & Derek's Foxtrot had absolutely no rise and fall to it. I literally thought that they were doing a Quickstep, until they broke apart. There was like two seconds of rise and fall toward the end.

I'm pretty sure you mean syncopation rather than synchronization with regards to Roshon's dance, as that was what the judges complained about. I certainly agree with you in comparing his scores with Gladys' though. Also, quickstep has rise and fall.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I loved tonight..and loved Katherine but my heart belongs to Donald. He was underscored. I also loved Jaleel's dance even if I think he's a tool.
Mark and his outfit were annoying but Katherine has the personality and the chops to keep up with him.
I loved Gladys' rumba..it had more oomph than William's...
I split all my votes between Donald and Katherine...
Kudos to whoever posted that it was offensive for four white-bred young punks to sing Motown songs...and also, they couldn't work in "I Second That Emotion" somewhere?
The dance marathon music was so generic. I was hoping for a medley of actual songs. Maybe we'll get that tomorrow night.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

It's a shame they didn't have Gladys sing. She danced first and it would have been really easy to let her perform later for one of the celebrity dancers. Gladys is touring every week anyhow and already has her songs well rehearsed. One quick rehearsal for camera blocking, earlier today was all she needed to perform.

No kidding. Motown? She made Motown. It was great to have Berry Gordy in the audience as well.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Whoa, very surprised with Roshon's and Chelsie's rumba. For 2 young people, they were very bold and matured with their movements. It has been a long, long while since a male contestant has danced this well in the rumba. (Nb I think even Mr Robinson was impressed.)

The XZFactor

The XZFactor

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, movies, writing

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

Ok, so it might have been his best dance since his Foxtrot, but he shouldn’t just be rewarded for doing a great dance after 4 mediocre ones in a row. It wasn’t bad, but I just didn’t see how it warranted 10’s. I just saw it as their way to make sure he stays in this week. I don’t know why they’ve invested so much in him. There’s about 3 or 4 others who danced better than him. My score: 26/30

Why shouldn't he be rewarded? The scores tonight were for his cha cha. Whether or not his four previous dances were mediocre, which I disagree about but whatever, that has no bearing on whether or not his cha cha tonight. I thought it was awesome and was certainly as good as judges' pet, Katherine. I don't think either dance was necessarily ten worthy but they were pretty equal IMO.