12-10: "Winning By A Nose" 2012.04.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

305 replies to this topic

Unanimous

Unanimous

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

The number of twitter followers or their rate of increase is not a true indicator of popularity and an increase in numbers is not necessarily a good thing. More people are attracted to a train wreck than a sane person.

That can be true, and I indicated that the increase in followers may not necessarily be a "favorable" indicator for the celebrity. There are other factors too, like the general makeup of the fanbase and the proportion of these people who use twitter and/or are interested in following a celebrity for whatever reason. From following Penn, I think that he has gathered a large following for a lot of reasons: because he responds directly to tweets and engages followers on discussing about religion, etc. He and Teller also take the time to meet with fans after every show, and this has gained Penn a lot of followers. I think that for many followers, after the show is over, they may unfollow or not pay attention any more, so there are lots of factors that are involved in trying to conclude anything from twitter followers. Still, Clay's fans are delighted that he's been gaining followers during the show, so for many of his fans, the increase is considered a favorable thing.

IMO, Celebrity Apprentice has, by simple virtue of putting celebrities in the public eye for weeks, helped these celebrities gain Twitter followers/fans, or at least this might be the hope. It is no coincidence (to me) that both Dee Snider and Clay Aiken are promoting new CDs DURING the run of Celebrity Apprentice.

If one just wanted to read Tweets (like a car wreck), one need not become an actual follower (unless an account is private).

I agree. It's certainly no coincidence that Dee and Clay have timed the release of their music to take advantage of any higher profile that they may get from the show (Clay has even told fans this so that's a fact where he is concerned). Not only is there nothing wrong with this, it's very smart to take advantage of any new fans to have product available for them to purchase. I also agree that following a celebrity is different from just wanting to read tweets of someone who is not regarded favorably. For example, I occasionally read the tweets of Aubrey or Lisa, but I would never follow them.

Edited by Unanimous, Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:18 AM.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Not an Aubrey fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the takeaways/scent sticks nailed it for her team. Scents can be a very personal thing, and I would think that the scent stick alone would increase sales. That would be especially true if someone wants to get a second opinion of a scent without having to drag another person into the store in order to get that opinion.

Clay's display did have scent sticks. They were on top of the pedestal in their display.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

"You earned it", sounds too much like the John Houseman commercials of the 1980's. The commercials that he had made for some brokerage firm.

I haven't weighed in on the slogan but I don't think it's pompous but it is unoriginal. I think there have been a lot of ads that are in the same vein. Somebody on the team should have shot it down for that reason. Aubrey's wasn't any better though.

The Smith Barney ad from how many years ago still rings in my head - Something about making money the old fashion way, they earn it. Not exactly the same but close enough and very iconic.

For some reason I have an aversion to twitter. I just don't care what anybody says with so few words. I still enjoy writing 4 paragraphs and editing down to 2 :->

Kstel78

Kstel78

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Clay's display did have scent sticks. They were on top of the pedestal in their display.

I love how George was bitchy about 'why didn't you think of the take aways?' In the aftermath of the whole thing. If I were Clay or Penn I would've said, 'What you want me to go back into time?' I mean seriously that was a dumb argument. You can't change what's done! And yes, there was smell sticks on BOTH sides of the display of course the editor guru had to screw that up to make them look bad.

Unanimous

Unanimous

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

It was interesting that they didn't show the scent sticks for Forte's display, so that only "extra" that Unanimous provided were the take-away brochures (which IMO are of questionable use). Nevertheless, the viewers are given the impression that Forte thought of neither scent sticks or take-away brochures, and IMO their display was far superior to Unanimous'. Clay did drop the ball on his attire and grooming, and his presentation, but still, the display itself should have been given the most emphasis. Of course, this is applying logic to what happens on the show and all of the viewers should know by now that that's a silly thing to do. LOL!

ETA: Despite George grumpiness, I still thought that he added a lot to the show, especially when he was shooting down everything that Aubrey said about their display. LOL!

ETA2:

For some reason I have an aversion to twitter. I just don't care what anybody says with so few words. I still enjoy writing 4 paragraphs and editing down to 2 :->

I know how you feel. Personally, I only follow a few people and don't tweet myself. It's annoying to have to express oneself in 140 words or less and I don't like to resort to non-English in order to "squish" things. LOL!

Edited by Unanimous, Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:51 PM.

Philipscomments

Philipscomments

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

I'm guessing but I've seen some evidence that she might have an unholy alliance with Aubrey and maybe Lisa which has spared her their wrath so far. They probably figure she's such a weak player that they won't attack until they're ready for her to go at which time she'll be an easy target.

Lisa said in the boardroom during this episode that she's scared of Teresa. I wonder why.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode just so I can hear Clay yell at Dayana "I'm a grown-ass man!!" That's North Carolina speak there, buddy, LOL!!