8-18: "Body and Soul" 2012.04.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

From Zap2it:

The team treats a boy who wakes up from nightmares of being choked still unable to breathe; Park has intimate dreams about co-workers; Dominika discovers a secret that has the potential to ruin her relationship with House.

Thread will open 4/23 at 10:00pm EDT.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

House got what he deserved. What a jerk to keep Domenika there under false pretenses.

Back when this show used to be good, I could see them exploring the father's history as well, since the grandfather said he had the same dreams. Then, using that to arrive at a diagnosis for both.

The Wilson subplot? I have no words.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Well, I was wondering why Wilson was staring pensively into space whenever House walked in, but I figured it was just their usual weird staging.

addlepated

addlepated

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Isn't "Hmong" pronounced "Mung"? I had no idea what they were talking about at first when they started talking about "Mong."

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

Back when this show used to be good, I could see them exploring the father's history as well, since the grandfather said he had the same dreams. Then, using that to arrive at a diagnosis for both.

That's just what I was thinking. But that might have cut into the tedious sex dream "banter."

bros402

bros402

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

I was seriously expecting them to examine the father and it turning out to be a genetic link.

The Wilson subplot is... odd.

egbert

egbert

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

You got to give the actors' credit for trying to make such dreck somewhat believable.

Whenever I hear the line, "I have cancer," I think of this

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CnnTqFTHGuc

Dana5140

Dana5140

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

I always think of this, instead (right around the 3.30 minute mark), and unlike the scene with Wilson, this is truly moving: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2R4zV65oiTA

Edited by Dana5140, Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:30 AM.

alrunya

alrunya

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:40 AM

I'm really sad to see Domenika go. Her and House's scenes were the only ones I've been enjoying these past weeks. They're fun together and I would have loved for her to stick around.

Other than that, the episode was alright, but this weeks case has been done too many times before, for example on Grey's Anatomy.

ggo85

ggo85

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

Back when this show was good, House would have known Wilson was sick almost before he (Wilson) did. The "old" House would bribe lab techs, steal test results, pilfer medical records, and anything else it took to find out what he needed to. No way would he be caught this flat-footed.

I'm sure apologists will say that House was "preoccupied" with Dominika or his own issues or whatever. But the old House -- the one we all loved -- could multi-task. He would solve the patient's problem, deal with his own issue of the week and all the while keep tabs on all that was going on in the hospital that he wanted to know about. And at least the old House would definitely want to know about Wilson.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

I'm a little surprised that House didn't try to get Domenika to stay. He apologized, of course, but never expanded on why he threw out the INS letter. If he'd honestly told her he was worried about her leaving, she might've stayed, even after his betrayal. But, considering the story to come, he needs to be alone. He needs to focus completely on Wilson, and feel the full weight of what potentially losing Wilson would mean to him. I fully expect him to rise to the challenge and be there for Wilson (no doubt the show will conveniently forget the fact that Wilson does actually have a family -- parents and two brothers, one of whom is not mentally ill -- as well as 3 ex-wives who probably do still care for him to a degree). None of that matters at this point, though. What matters is that he and House are closer than blood, and this is one time in House's life when he can't run and hide from feelings. He'll have to deal with them.

fnftw

fnftw

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

SO, are they planning to kill off Wilson? Bring Cuddy to his funeral on the series finale? I wish they wouldn't, but that's the first thing that popped in my head when Wilson said he had cancer. I am glad though, that this is to be the last season. I adore Hugh Laurie, but I'm not really enjoying the show anymore. I just watch as I've been a faithful viewer since S1. I hope at least the last episode wraps things up nicely for us, even if they decide to burn down the hospital or something.

rabidfangirl

rabidfangirl

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I was so bored and annoyed by the main storyline that I don't even remember what the final diagnosis was. I was sad to see Domenika go, but in light of Wilson's bombshell, I can see why the writers wouldn't want her to stick around. House is going to be devoting his time and energy to Wilson at this point. Domenika makes House happy and we can't have that. I'm still going to hope she reappears in the finale wanting to stick around (but not necessarily forgiving him...I like how sly she is).

As for Wilson's bombshell, I was expecting him to be the one getting cancer. House being in peril isn't at all interesting because he's in peril, false or real, all the time. I hugely dislike how this is a plot point brought up in the last 4 episodes; it should have been a main character arc for the entire season. And as another poster mentioned, earlier House would've noticed Wilson was acting off before Wilson did and started his usual diagnostic routine.

Edited by rabidfangirl, Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:12 AM.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Maybe Wilson's cancer is fake, as retaliation for the fake son trick.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

I hugely dislike how this is a plot point brought up in the last 4 episodes; it should have been a main character arc for the entire season.

I agree--it feels pretty desperate at this point. I also think it would have affected me more in an earlier season, when Wilson was a stronger character in his own right. He hasn't done much over the last several years but comment on House's love life.

Dana5140

Dana5140

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I looked up Wilson's cancer, thymoma, and this is what wikipedia said, keeping in mind that they will acclerate his cancer for dramatic reasons:

Pathology: Thymoma originates from the epithelial cell population in the thymus, and several microscopic subtypes are now recognized.[1] There are three principal histological types of thymoma, depending on the appearance of the cells by microscopy:

Treatment: preoperative (neoadjuvant) chemotherapy and/or may be used to decrease the size and improve resectability, before surgery is attempted. When the tumor is an early stage (Masaoka I through IIB) no further therapy is necessary. Removal of the thymus in adults does not appear to induce immune deficiency. In children, however, postoperative immunity may be abnormal and vaccinations for several infectious agents are recommended. Invasive thymomas may require additional treatment with radiotherapy and chemotherapy (cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin and cisplatin),.

Prognosis is much worse for stage III or IV thymomas as compared with stage I and II tumors. Invasive thymomas uncommonly can also metastasize, generally to pleura, bones, liver or brain in approximately 7% of cases.[1] Patients with stage III and IV tumors may nonetheless survive for several years with appropriate oncological management.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

Prognosis is much worse for stage III or IV thymomas as compared with stage I and II tumors. Invasive thymomas uncommonly can also metastasize, generally to pleura, bones, liver or brain in approximately 7% of cases.[1] Patients with stage III and IV tumors may nonetheless survive for several years with appropriate oncological management.

Thanks for the info, Dana. Given that Wilson said his was Stage II, it should be treatable, if not curable. In any event, his death should not be imminent. But since it looks like he's going for some radical therapy instead of the conservative approach, perhaps the treatment will do more immediate harm than the disease. With only a few episodes left, they've gotta make it dramatic, though, so it seems he may be near death's door much sooner than the medical facts would imply.

Unspoiled

Unspoiled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

I had bad dreams last night because of this episode. And no, it wasn't because of House's failure to keep the lady who's over 20 years younger than he is.
Well, I do believe I saw Chase laugh in the elevator. That's strange. Non-sardonic laughter on "House", what a concept!

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

What a crappy episode. Yet another episode where I have no idea what the diagnosis was, nor do I even care. Pointless, forgettable storylines. Wilson announces he has cancer and I don't even care. God, this show used to be so awesome. I wish someone would shoot it and put it out of its misery.

I hope House turns his fake wife in. What a bitch.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

I did a bit of Google searching--the 5-year survival rate for Stage II thymoma is 85%. Since Wilson is relatively young and otherwise in good health, his prognosis would probably be good. I'm sure the show will paint a more dire picture for dramatic purposes.

frimble

frimble

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

If House could only have admitted to Domenika that he hid the letters because he was afraid that she wouldn't need him and leave, she might have stayed.
She's a good match for him: smart, funny, interesting (and apparently smart enough to dole out the 'interesting' in little bits and pieces, so he has his mystery to solve (who would have guessed she would be good with a gun?.
Okay, he's twice her age, but he's a doctor and a department head', he's got money and a house. And, when she was upset over her grandmother, he was nice to her, which is a lot, from House. He has feelings for her, she has feelings for him, but once again, House shoots happiness in the foot.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

The best part of this episode was when Park farted in the elevator to test Chase.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

Yes. Wilson has sort of become the mom. Everyone runs to him when House is being mean or sneaky. He hasn't had a storyline of his own really since Amber's death. Now they want us to be all angst filled because he has cancer when we hardly remember what he's about. Kind of like you friend that moves away and you only send Christmas cards now. They get sick but you're distanced from it.

Chase's dream was painful to watch, and I like Chase & Park. It was so off in fact I was convinced it was a dream before the reveal. Did like the elevator scene. I think they make great friends, something they both actually need.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

I didn't find this episode quite as bad as the last two. I think, however, that PPTH's human resources department really needs to give House's team a refresher course on professionalism and sexual harassment in the workplace.

Personally I don't like Domenika. She seems too much of a contrivance. She's just too calculatedly created to be perfect for House. Every scene with them together reminds me that she made a good livelihood as a prostitute, pretending to be whatever her client wanted her to be. That's just me, though; I know the writers want me to love her and to see her cheating customers and lying to the INS as endearingly scrappy.

Interesting that she used to be a cop and didn't tell the INS. Given what we've seen of her so far, I expect she was corrupt and that any sort of investigation into that aspect of her life wouldn't paint in her good light.

Wilson's cancer explains that weird shot in the beginning, with Wilson staring into space just before the scene begins and House enters the room. It just looked like bad editing, with the editor including a few seconds before the scene actually started, but I guess it was supposed to be Wilson worrying about his test results and/or contemplated his mortality.

I also think it would have affected me more in an earlier season, when Wilson was a stronger character in his own right. He hasn't done much over the last several years but comment on House's love life.

Agreed. The show hasn't cared about Wilson for so long. Even Wilson didn't give a damn about his own life; he only cared about House's.

SO, are they planning to kill off Wilson? Bring Cuddy to his funeral on the series finale?

Cuddy was a total bitch to Wilson. Everyone in the show talked about what friends they were, but Cuddy threw him to the wolves every chance she got. She watched Tritter rip his life apart and did nothing to help him, and when she was with House she hated that House still cared about Wilson. Watching Cuddy tear up at his funeral, or worse yet listen to Cuddy croak out his eulogy in her husky "emotional" voice, would make me want to throw a liquor bottle at my tv (or at least through the nearest stained glass window.)

Makes me ponder which would be the worse way to end the program: House heading off into the sunset with Domenika or Cuddy standing next to House at Wilson's grave, crying glycerin crocodile tears.

Elfdream

Elfdream

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

The good old days when threads like this would go on and on for thirty pages.

House. Alone again. Once again a conflict between science and faith. Silly bantering.

Why did they have to give Wilson cancer? For pure irony? Why not heart disease or kidney disease?

Dittohead

Dittohead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Just a few observations:
Why did House want to know if Domenika ever shot someone, and why would he then take her to a shooting range? Did I miss something?
The thought of anybody having sex with Park just totally grosses me out.
They never did explain why the boy was levitating, but I don't care.
Why didn't House just tell Domenika he loved her? Is that too much to ask?

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

Why did they have to give Wilson cancer? For pure irony? Why not heart disease or kidney disease?

According to the Amercian Cancer Socity, the lifetime risk of an American male developping cancer is 44.85%. Oncologists are hardly immune.

This has the feel of a fan fiction plot, but many more improbable and bizarre things have happened on House. This storyline is actually more down-to-earth than most.

FakeLocke

FakeLocke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

It's kind of sad to watch this show circle the drain, losing all semblance of relevance or emotional impact. I now watch the show with a kind of detached self-awareness, like it's a documentary of how to fuck up an interesting show with re-hashed plots and oversentimental writing.

If they try to piece together a redemptive arc for House at Wilson's deathbed and/or Thirteen's return, this show will have almost surpassed Lost for WORST CLOSING SEASON for a show with at least five decent ones (well, I'm not counting the Happy Days time with Jenny Piccolo and Fonzie the teacher).

extracat

extracat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

It was bound to happen.
Foreman the neurologist had a nuero problem.
Cameron the immunologist had an HIV scare.
Cuddy the endocrinologist had fertility problems (presumably hormone related)
House the nephrologist had kidney problems in some episode
Chase the intensivist/surgeon had major surgery.

I'd been waiting for Chase wind up in ICU or on the surgical table and for Wilson to get cancer for years.

bros402

bros402

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Would've been interesting if it was a kidney issue and House failed to cure it, as he IS a nephrologist.