20-9: "Bollywood Travolta (Cochin, India)" 2012.04.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

203 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

From comcast.com:

The racers travel to India and take part in a Bollywood dance.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

I'm happy that Mark and Bopper stayed in even though they don't necessarily deserve it. But at this point, they are one of two even remotely likeable teams left (the other being Vanessa and Ralph and they certainly push it from time to time).

BWAH to Rachel in next week's preview!

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

I felt so badly for Mark, but glad he and Bopper are still in the race.

It's official; I'm on Team Brenchel. Team Border Patrols are a couple of self righteous pricks. They can go any time now.

Good for Rachel/Dave, although Dave is still an ass.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Non elimination has never looked so good. Come on team Kentucky, at least make it to the top three. I don't know when it happened but I want them to win more than any team in some seasons, but if they can just get past Art and JJ or Rachel and Brandon I would be overjoyed with that result even.

BakerBaker

BakerBaker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

How funny that the BP were so excited to be in 3rd place because they assumed BB were behind them only to have Vanessa & Ralph show up therefore crushing their ego and the smile off their face. That was lovely, thank you Amazing Race.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Oh my God with the bullshit gender stereotypes. Gross. Shut up Art, shut up JJ, shut up Brendan, shut up Rachel.

I'm glad they didn't waste too much of our time with the fallout from Uturngate, and I was amused to see Mark and Bopper calling Art and JJ out on their childishness.

Aww, Mark and Bopper. Their friendship is very sweet. I'm glad they're still in it. I thought Mark acting like he was in danger of literally dying if he kept trying was probably overdramatic, but I didn't blame him for wanting to quit.

jette

jette

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

In the needless drama dept: why was the Bollywood director so critical of Mark's dancing? It seemed to me that try number eight or so was much better than pity try number twelve that poor sick Mark had to be cajoled into doing. So mean.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

The misogyny on this show is getting on my damn nerves. It's bad enough when BP does it, but a few other teams got into the act too. To make it even worse, BB Rachel egged it on. "I'm a girl, of course, I am emotional." She couldn't play sports as well as a boy. Ugh. Men can dance too. Woman can play sports. Just ugh, ugh.

Poor Mark. He broke my heart. Broke my heart more, was Bopper. He didn't care about the Race if it meant his friend got hurt in the process. Those guys are just awesome. That's what friendship really is.

Rachel and Army Dave were not bad this ep. The "listen to your fricking husband" was more like he knows that what she calls him when she is pissed at him.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

That really was the cavalcade of sexist bullshit hour. I hate everyone except Mark and Bopper and they would be an unfortunate win. We need an all-star season with Ken/Gerard and Jon/Kris just so some nice people who are competent can be on the race again.

Decent tasks this time though! So yay!

LadyEight

LadyEight

Couch Potato

I know I'm not the only one who screamed "But he didn't say eliminated!" when Phil told Bopper and Mark he was sorry to tell them they were last. I didn't see that coming.

So glad, too, to see them stay. They were the only team who didn't utter an idiotic stereotype. I heard:
"She's got some (I think he may have said "a little") Puerto Rican in her so she can dance," several references to chicks looking better than men dancing, references to chicks always dancing better than men, references to chicks beating men in cricket, "Listen to your husband! Listen to your husband!" [Newsflash, listening does not mean OBEY], "Of course I'm emotional, I'm a girl," "beaten by a girl, ha" and "He's a man, so he must have played baseball." Ick to the whole lot of them tonight!

Edited to clarify what I thought the person said; I don't have Tivo;).

Edited by LadyEight, Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:01 AM.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

Oh my God with the bullshit gender stereotypes. Gross. Shut up Art, shut up JJ, shut up Brendan, shut up Rachel.

Can I add "Shut up Dave?" He definitely made a couple of "finally pays off to be saddled with a woman" comments. Or maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. But really, he should always shut the hell up.

BakerBaker

BakerBaker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

So glad, too, to see them stay. They were the only team who didn't utter an idiotic stereotype. I heard:
"She's got Puerto Rican in her so she can dance," several references to chicks beating men, chicks dancing always better than men, chicks beating men with in cricket, "Listen to your husband! Listen to your husband!" [Newsflash, this does not mean OBEY, just listen], "Of course I'm emotional, I'm a girl," "you were beaten by a girl, ha" and "he's a man, so he must have played baseball." Ick to the whole lot of them tonight!

Word. I lost count on how many time I was cringing. The stereotypes were really in-your-face up this episode.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Happy that my Kentucky boys are still in it, as they are definitely about the one team left I'm actively rooting for. I still like Rachel and Dave, but I'm really rooting for Kentucky.

The tasks were pretty good, but I would have liked to focus more on the India culture shock that always sets in instead of hearing that same blasted dance song 140 times.

And as much as I want to hate the musical editing during the detour, I had to crack up immensely at the choices used (the zany versions of "CHARGE!!!" and 'take me out to the ballgame' at the cricket detour, and the famous orchestra song whose name escapes me when Dave and Rachel were trying the tuk-tuk detour).

Overall I guess I don't have too many thoughts on this ep. Art and JJ are finally starting to grate a little bit (I've been a supporter til now), but constant dudes vs. chicks schtick got old, and the complaints during the dance.

Go Kentucky!! I'm curious to see departure times next week to see how far they're behind. Hopefully there's a flight equalizer.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

OK, I feel like a total sap, but I was in tears at the end of that episode. I usually don't go for the "hammy" types (which is how Team Kentucky - or at least Bopper - initially came across), but this episode just cemented how genuine their friendship is. I can't remember the last time I saw a teammate tell his/her partner that their friendship meant more than the $1 million and really mean. Normally I would be screaming producer intervention at the fact that it was a non-elimination leg, but I don't even care because I now love these guys.

These dancing tasks are brutal! (I still remember poor Zev's attempts at Samba.) I can't imagine completing that Bollywood routine in even 10 takes, and I'm only modestly rhythmically challenged. Props to the blonde woman - she killed it. I was sad that BB Rachel wasn't stuck at the Bollywood routine for longer - I was waiting for an epic meltdown.

As much as I like the performance-related tasks, one thing that bugs me is the room for subjectivity. For example, the FBI guy seemed like he was doing even worse than Mark. Maybe his lack of rhythm just made it look like he wasn't nailing the steps.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

This episode is why I love this show. First of all, David and Rachel are getting along so much better. More encourage, less picky sarcastic sniping stuff. Somewhere along the way they started trusting each other or realized they really are there for each other. They are enjoying being with each other now. So I'm happy with their first place and happy they're getting along better. Rachel just killed the dancing. Good for her!

Second, Art getting beat TWICE by a girl!! and two different girls, at that! And one was at a regular sport, too, not just at a "girly" activity like dancing. HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA!

BB Rachel wasn't so bad. She got weepy but it was more understandable weepiness, and she went back and tried again. Even Vanessa and Ralph weren't so bad this time except she still tries too hard to be funny. (Running into the Alamo)

Last, Bopper and Mark. Mark's perseverance, and Bopper's true caring and concern for his friend. And finally, Mark trying and at last succeeding. They probably smoked the clutch driving and they got their reward for perseverance: a non-elimination leg! Hurray! If the race is in a new destination next week with bunching, they have a chance. If it's not, they may be too far behind to succeed.

This could be an Emmy leg. There's good stories here plus the challenges were good this time.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

"She's got some (a little?) Puerto Rican in her so she can dance,"

I read that as a little tongue-in-cheek.

tone

tone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

Art and JJ, thanks. Your behaviour in this show actually had me routing for Rachel to beat you at Cricket. I feel dirty now. Thanks for that.

I know! I can't wait.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I know Mark was being a little over the top with the health issue....but it probably felt pretty frightening in that heat.

Yep, a lot of sexist comments tonight by both genders..but for some reason BB's Rachel disgusted me the most.

I didn't hear Major Dave say anything sexist...and nothing about her finally carrying her weight. He did tell her to listen to her frickin' husband...but as someone just posted, I suspect that was more Dave repeating what's she's called him a few times during the race. I loved that both of them were poking fun at themselves. Of course, knowing you are in first place makes things a little easier.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

And as much as I want to hate the musical editing during the detour, I had to crack up immensely at the choices used (the zany versions of "CHARGE!!!" and 'take me out to the ballgame' at the cricket detour, and the famous orchestra song whose name escapes me when Dave and Rachel were trying the tuk-tuk detour).

I believe it was "Ride of the Valkyries" from Wagner's Ring opera. Also known as "Kill the Wabbit" sung by Elmer Fudd on Bugs Bunny.

Edited by Lamb18, Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:16 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

We need Bopper & Mark in the final leg. Even if it starts with Bopper cracking his leg open and Mark puking half his guts out, having two sets of assholes in the end beats three sets of assholes. Has there been a finale where all the teams needed to soak their respective heads?

I really hope Mark went right to a cold shower after getting checked in. Sucks that Bopper was the one having a medic giving him the once-over, and Mark ends up almost dying as a result of his lack of dance movies. As cheesy as it might have come off, those two have more heart and soul between them than the other eight Racers combined. If a country boy can survive twelve attempts at dancing in the grueling heat of India, maybe there's hope for those two.

Come to think of it, would things have been bad if the teams had to perform indoors? Even without air-conditioning, I think Mark may not have almost quit.

Seriously, I can't get behind any of the other teams. Rachel & Dave and Art & JJ are overachievers, and they're both nasty. Ditto for the other two couples. I don't think there's been as much animosity between teams as with those four. I do present one idea: if Brendan & Rachel become the first team from Big Brother to win, would that that CBS would stop forcing TAR's producers to take in BB's misfits? That increases my wanting those two to win by at least 0.00001 percent.

Anybody else notice the director had a t-shirt with the cover of Batman: The Killing Joke? Also, I admire Rachel's l33t skillz in dancing, and I think that the tune will be stuck in my head for a few days.

In the end, I knew it was non-elim . . . we had brief clips of TK & Rachel having to perform tasks before they got saved in TAR12. If you don't get sent directly to Phil, you're still in the game. Judging from the teaser of the Speed Bump, it looks a lot more fun than dancing in the sun.

ETA: Just remembered hearing the traditional American stadium music set to what I'm assuming of sitars. That's gotta perplex Indians. "Wait . . . so in the middle of the seventh interval-" "Inning!" "Right, inning . . . all of the fans get up and sing a song?!?" "And how's that different from having a break for tea?!?"

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:19 PM.

serendip

serendip

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

I was heartbroken when it looked like Mark and Bopper were going home. Three tissues worth! So glad they get at least another week.

davidmf

davidmf

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

I have been watching TAR since the 1st Season and IMHO never has a non-elimination been more deserved, even if it is the 2nd one for Mark and Bopper - the friendship and encouragement that was shown at the Roadblock was more than the other teams combined - and then some!

GO Team Kentucky!

mwolf

mwolf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Mark's dance teacher must be one of the most supportive TAR instructors ever.

If the race is in a new destination next week with bunching, they have a chance. If it's not, they may be too far behind to succeed.

They're still in Cochin next week, so the only way they could have bunching is via HOO.

Jedi Nut

Jedi Nut

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

"To hell with that money, I want you out! I-I'd rather have my buddy!"

*gulp*

Goddamnit, Bopper, you adorable son of a bitch. You got me. You really got me.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

I believe it was "Ride of the Valkyries" from Wagner's Ring opera. Also known as "Kill the Wabbit" sung by Elmer Fudd on Bugs Bunny.

Ah yes. Thanks!!

SueR

SueR

Video Archivist

I also was very weepy at the end. However, I feel like there was some intervention, because after Bopper gave up, somehow he was persuaded to try once more. And of course got it that time. If he hadn't completed the task, wouldn't they have to have been eliminated no matter what? So I think they had to get them through that task in order to be told they were still in. Whatever, it was very moving, although I'm not sure why it was SO hard for him.
I'm actually liking Rachel and Dave more and more and I think are the most likely winners. She is such a strong competitor. I think their relationship works for them She gives his BS right back to him.
Those 2 couples are the only ones I can root for really. Worst choice to win: Border Patrol. So gross.

Firthient

Firthient

Couch Potato

BWAH to Vanessa in next week's preview. I hope it leads to their elimination. Congrats to Team Kentucky for surviving two non-elimination legs. I have a feeling if it were Team Big Brother, all hell would break loose.

shura

shura

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

How funny that the BP were so excited to be in 3rd place because they assumed BB were behind them only to have Vanessa & Ralph show up therefore crushing their ego and the smile off their face.

Is that why BP were excited to be in 3rd place? I didn't pick up on that at all. I thought they saw Brendon and Rachel leave the cricket task before them.

I can't remember the last time I saw a teammate tell his/her partner that their friendship meant more than the $1 million and really mean. Normally I would be screaming producer intervention at the fact that it was a non-elimination leg, but I don't even care because I now love these guys.

Hmm, I'd venture to go ahead and call producer interference. Not in creating a NEL on the spot, of course, but in encouraging Mark and Bopper to keep dancing. Think about it: Bopper says that he absolutely-positively wants Mark to quit the task and go home, million be damned. And then out of nowhere he goes "Are you feeling better? Let's try one more time?" I mean, what changed?

rocketgirl

rocketgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

I mostly lurk here but felt compelled(oh, wait is that too big a word for a girl:)) I am probably too emotional to write this and, cause, I am a girl and you know how we are. Plus maybe I should be dancing or listening to my husband. The stereotype and misogynistic attitude of Art and JJ pretty much pushed me over the edge into making them one of my most disliked teams ever.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Bopper and Mark getting another shot at staying in? Sweet.

Border patrol getting served by girls all the way through? Better.

Rachel flipping out at our favourite (possible) FF next week? Ah show. You know me so well. (I'd be asking for a refund on those extensions.)