3-21: "The Penalty Box" 2012.04.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

102 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

ALICIA REPRESENTS A JUDGE WHO IS IN DANGER OF BEING DISBARRED, ON “THE GOOD WIFE,” SUNDAY, APRIL 22

CHEAT TWEET: When a judge becomes the defendant, will his ego prevent Alicia from doing her job?  #TheGoodWife 4/22 9pm ET/PT http://bit.ly/Hf46LA

“The Penalty Box” – Alicia defends a judge against misconduct charges stemming from his days as a prosecutor.  Meanwhile, Cary makes a career decision and Kalinda deals with the repercussions of Agent Delaney’s investigation, on “THE GOOD WIFE,” Sunday, April 22 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television.  

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

At this point, I'm more excited for the season finale because it looks like it's setting up a season 4 where something might actually happen than I am because it's "wrapping up" S3 or because I have any high hopes that something interesting will happen or...whatever. I officially declare this season a disappointment.

I can't believe the episode just ended with Alicia turning the chair around for Kalinda. Not. Sufficient. Not nearly good enough.

I think the writers think I care about Will way more than I actually care about Will. If it's not Alicia, I don't care who he's banging and I don't need to see it.

Oh look, Kalinda made out with a girl...must be the penultimate episode of the season (aka sweeps). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Kalinda lady-loving, but the Kings don't get to talk ever again about how they're progressive or not like other shows, because...no, that's exactly what every other show does.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

The show finally got back to its roots tonight and I couldn't be more excited. Cary is back at Lockhart and Gardner. Alicia wasn't pining for her old life. We got some major thawing of the ice between Alicia and Kalinda and Kalinda showed a lot of emotion in her scene with Lana.
I did hate that Kalinda's sex scene was clouded by Lana acting like an ass and I agree with your sentiments stealinghome.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Gah I am so sick of Sexy Kalinda. So awesome that just being in close proximity makes people melt. And she knows it and uses it. Instead of, I don't know her brain. Her solution to dealing with FBI agent was to rip her clothes off then kiss her, rather than a confrontation about the fuck Ms. FBI twit thinks she is up to trying to get her killed. The woman is in the FBI she has to know that people like Lamont Bishop kill people who they think rat them out. Hence, the whole witness protection thing. So stupid.

Cary's back and behaving like a grownup.

Didn't like Diane yelling at Will. He didn't know Diane was going to interview his new girlfriend for a job. He can sleep with what's her name if he wants, she is not a subordinate.

askew

askew

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Did Peter seriously fire Cary just for looking for another job? What a class act. I seriously hope Cary gets the chance to fuck over Peter. Cary knows how unethical Peter is and I'd love to see Peter's treatment of Cary come back and bite him in the ass.

And it looks like we might get some real resolution on Kalinda's secrets next episode. I can't wait.

exzim

exzim

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

Gah I am so sick of Sexy Kalinda

Kalinda the SuperDick - as in Dick Tracy. Agreed. She's making the show a joke.

AmmeLeep

AmmeLeep

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

I just wanted to say that any time I get to see Stephen Root, I'm happy. Liked that whole plotline.

As for the new associates? Would a firm REALLY want Cary back, after all he's done to them?

That FBI woman needs to be slapped with a sexual harassment/stalking suit. I've kind of lost track of what she's supposedly investigating.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Cary's back and behaving like a grownup.

Yes, I will say that this is the one element of the episode that I thought was done well. The writers pulled a nice bait-and-switch, where you expected Cary to immediately jump to the conclusion that Alicia spilled to Peter (and be an ass to Alicia). The fact that he didn't illustrates how much he's grown since S1.

Plus, that's just good storytelling--another season of Cary acting petulant/whiny was going to get real old real fast.

Would a firm REALLY want Cary back, after all he's done to them?

Diane has always had a soft spot for Cary the size of Texas. I'm interested to see how the dueling favorites (Alicia/Will and Cary/Diane) do next year now that Diane likes Alicia much more.

That FBI woman needs to be slapped with a sexual harassment/stalking suit. I've kind of lost track of what she's supposedly investigating.

I think she was telling the truth a few episodes ago--she is investigating Bishop. That she gets to rattle Kalinda's cage is a fortunate side benefit.

I actually wondered if Kalinda's plan was to go over to Lana's, sleep with her, and then force her to drop the case because of a conflict of interest, but the new!post-Alicia!Kalinda reared her head and couldn't let her go through with it. There seemed to be a moment where a switch flipped and Kalinda just couldn't go farther.

Edited by stealinghome, Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:59 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

This was definitely one of the top episodes of the season for me. I loved all the personal goings-on AND the case of the week.

Lemont Bishop is soo sexy. I have to keep reminding myself that he's a bad bad man, and not in a good way. He's soo smooth yet unassuming for lack of a better word. He's always impeccably and so well spoken. Just not what you'd expect a meth kingpin to look like. Side note: I thought they said Lemont's business was primarily weed? Wasn't there something about the money he was giving L&G smelling like weed, or am I confusing that with some other show? Anyway, the guy is scary!! The look he gave Alicia when she chimed in during their meeting sent shivers down my spine. Kalinda has good reason to fear for her life. If Lemont can so easily kill the mother of his children, he wouldn't think twice about offing Kalinda.

Oh look, Kalinda made out with a girl...must be the penultimate episode of the season (aka sweeps). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Kalinda lady-loving, but the Kings don't get to talk ever again about how they're progressive or not like other shows, because...no, that's exactly what every other show does.

I get what you're saying, and don't get me wrong I do agree. I hate when shows throw out the girl-on-girl stuff just for sweeps but I liked the scene because it seemed to me like Kalinda was about to fall back into her old habits (using sex to get what she wants) but then half-way through thought better of it and just decided to talk about what was bothering her. I thought that was a bit of a growing moment for her. And just from a shallow perspective, that scene was sooo hot. So I'm really not going to complain tooo much about it. ;)

I am SOOO glad that Cary and Alicia are on good terms. I was fearful that he would assume it was Alicia that Peter about his interview. So glad the writers didn't go there.

I am starting to seriously dislike Eli. He's just been coming off as an inept petulant child this season. Not at all like the cunning brilliant strategist he was introduced as. Aside from his little tiffs with David Lee, Eli having an office at L&G has not done the character any favors.

Didn't like Diane yelling at Will. He didn't know Diane was going to interview his new girlfriend for a job. He can sleep with what's her name if he wants, she is not a subordinate.

I liked it. Diane doesn't know the time line of Will's hook-ups. All she knows is that Will put them at risk when he engaged in a sexual relationship with Alicia, and now he's sexing up a potential new employee. I could see where Diane would get a little frustrated by the whole thing.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:10 PM.

crashdown

crashdown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I can't believe the episode just ended with Alicia turning the chair around for Kalinda. Not. Sufficient. Not nearly good enough.

Well, that was my first reaction to it, fueled by the damn promo monkeys who obviously mashed scenes from the last two episodes into one (we didn't get Will-and-Peter-in-the-elevator either). But I rewatched the scene a couple of times, and I ended up being pleased with it. Alicia's smile is great there--it's probably the warmest we've seen her look in forever. And I assume the next episode will start with the two of them drinking, since we DO HAVE the promo clip to hang our hats on. So I think I'm ok with it, although admittedly I pitched a fit, threw a pillow, and sent my dogs scurrying for cover when I realized how it was going to end tonight. (And really, inviting Kalinda to sit down for a drink was the least Alicia could do, what with K's impending death and all!)

I totally agree with this, of course, but give the Lana scene another watch--it's actually kind of interesting and complex. There's a lot going on there, beyond just the usual sexy timz.

Did Peter seriously fire Cary just for looking for another job? What a class act. I seriously hope Cary gets the chance to fuck over Peter. Cary knows how unethical Peter is and I'd love to see Peter's treatment of Cary come back and bite him in the ass.

Peter actually did Cary a favor--he got a month of severance pay, which he wouldn't have received if he'd just quit. But that said, I'm not sure if Peter fired him for that, or for some other reason. He didn't seem angry or vengeful, so the whole thing is a little unclear to me.

I actually wondered if Kalinda's plan was to go over to Lana's, sleep with her, and then force her to drop the case because of a conflict of interest, but the new!post-Alicia!Kalinda reared her head and couldn't let her go through with it. There seemed to be a moment where a switch flipped and Kalinda just couldn't go farther.

That's a very interesting thought, and it might indeed have something to do with the complexity that I see in that scene.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

I quite enjoyed the A/K scene at the end. I liked that Kalinda didn't automatically assume she was welcomed to just sit down with Alicia. Things are moving in the right direction between them for sure, but its all still pretty tentative. So it was nice to see Alicia think about it and decide that she DOES want to to have a drink with Kalinda. Its time for her to put up or shut up (just like Kalinda). Alicia said she was willing to give things a try and this was her "test" to prove it.

Peter actually did Cary a favor--he got a month of severance pay, which he wouldn't have received if he'd just quit. But that said, I'm not sure if Peter fired him for that, or for some other reason.

I think Peter was just hurt that Cary didn't confide in him about looking for another job. I don't know why though. I don't recall the show establishing that they have anything other than a work relationship, so I don't see why Peter would feel entitled to that information other than Peter can just an entitled asshole. I think there might be something to the fact that Cary went looking for a job at L&G....who seems to be Peter's biggest competitors. Maybe if Cary had interviewed somewhere else Peter might not have had such a strong reaction. Then again, if Cary had interviewed somewhere else, Peter probably would have never found out.

ETA: I just had another thought about this Cary/Peter thing. Maybe Peter thought there was something nefarious going on. He clearly was trying to get Cary to admit that he was/might be leaving. And since Cary never mentioned the interview and pretty much stated he had no plans to leave, maybe Peter thought Cary had turned into some sort of spy for L&G. I mean as the saying goes (you lose them how you got them)....and Peter got Cary under some shady circumstances so probably in his mind he thinks the shoe is on the other foot now.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:52 PM.

clawdette

clawdette

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

I'm not sure how we were supposed to feel about the visiting judge but I thought he was awesome. I loved the way he cut through the endless lawyerly questions and got to the heart of the matter. And, just because he was rural, it didn't mean he was ignorant.

watcher1006

watcher1006

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

A lot to think about in this episode, as posted by others above. But one thing - Will was participating WAY too much in the affairs of the firm. Suspension? What suspension?

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Peter actually did Cary a favor--he got a month of severance pay, which he wouldn't have received if he'd just quit. But that said, I'm not sure if Peter fired him for that, or for some other reason. He didn't seem angry or vengeful, so the whole thing is a little unclear to me.

Except Cary wouldn't have quit unless he'd already had an offer from Lockhart/Gardner, so Peter didn't do him any favors. Peter didn't necessarily seem vengeful, but I read him as angry and he was a dick to fire Cary just for looking for another job. He's lucky Cary got an offer, because it's really not legal to fire someone just for looking around for another job.

It did warm my heart to see Cary and Alicia on good terms - friendly and introspective Cary is so much better than petty and bitter Cary.

Edited by bparhad, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:37 PM.

crashdown

crashdown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

A great tweet from @katelinnea:

Peter: "The thing I value most is loyalty. Except if you mean me being loyal to my wife. No reason for that."

Hee!

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

I liked Stephen Root as the Judge. I thought of him as Judge Jimmy James. Good to see Cary back, but I was surprised to see Lemond Bishop again.

I wonder why we have Howard around again. Howard apparently didn't feel loyal to either Will or Diane, so I still don't see why they stupidly denied Julius Cain a name partnership. Just give him what he fucking wants. He's more loyal than Howard or anybody else they put forward.

Edited by Cress, Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:02 PM.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

Ok, it could just be me having a dirty mind. But why are people saying that Kalinda didn't use sex with Agent Sexy? I thought from the robe and Agent Sexy's facial expressions before Kalinda starts making out with her and during that Kalinda is fingering her before and during the makeout session, which is why she was sure it was going to work.

rerunz

rerunz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

I didn't see that Peter fired Cary, it was more he assumed that he'd gotten the job.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

Ok, it could just be me having a dirty mind. But why are people saying that Kalinda didn't use sex with Agent Sexy? I thought from the robe and Agent Sexy's facial expressions before Kalinda starts making out with her and during that Kalinda is fingering her before and during the makeout session, which is why she was sure it was going to work.

That is definitely what was happening. I think posters just mean that Kalinda started doing this, and perhaps it was her plan to use sex, but then mid-way through Kalinda got upset, and stopped, and started reasoning with Lana instead?

Peter fired Cary knowing that he had an interview, not a job offer. Cary could have easily been without a job after that firing. If that woman had taken the offer from L&G.

Totally agree with being glad that the show didn't do the whole, Cary thinks Alicia told Peter about the interview, and then get mad at her thing.

askew

askew

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

I didn't see that Peter fired Cary, it was more he assumed that he'd gotten the job.

Peter fired him. You don't get a month's severance when you get a job. And had L&G not hired Cary, he'd be without a job because Peter is an incompetent, corrupt asshole. Peter certainly wasn't doing Cary any favors with firing him. If Cary ever interviews for another job outside of L&G, he'll have to disclose he was fired by the State's Attorney's Office. Cary's going to have to live with the consequences of Peter's petty vengeance for the rest of his career.

Stealth Jager

Stealth Jager

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

I thought the stuff between the lines with the two judges was awesome. Seemed like there were two meanings to everything the big judge said to the defensive judge.At one point he dismisses a witness while looking directly at the d. judge. What was he thinking? I was surprised that the judge got let out of the penalty box.

chowder

chowder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

This felt like a really disjointed episode. I expected better for the second lasr episode of the season.

The case of the week was really uninteresting.

I didn't understand at all what happened with Peter and Cary. The whole thing was just ....odd. So Peter fired Cary for looking for another job and not being loyal but he didn't have any issue with rehiring Dana when her job offer didn't pan out? And what kind of employer expects their employee to tell them if they are looking to go elsewhere? But then he also called Cary at the end, i hope they don't just drop that in the next episode.

It was nice to see the friendship again between Alicia and Cary. I've always love when they were actually friends, now if only we can get one of Cary,Kalinda and Alicia together like back in Season 1. I really liked Cary's statement about how he's been gone for 2 year yet haven't learned a thing.

Was Kalinda's plan to go and sleep with Lana so that she would stop investigating? This whole thing confuses me too because I don't understand what they are investigating. I thought Agent Lana was using the investigation to get close to Kalinda but guess not? So now its not Lana whose calling the shots with the FBI's investigation into Kalinda?

Why was Eli still persuing the votes to get Will out? Is he not going to be leaving to focus on Peter's campaign?

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

But then he also called Cary at the end, i hope they don't just drop that in the next episode.

Yeah I was wondering why Peter was calling Cary. To apologize? To congratulate him on his new job? He was pretty hostile when firing him.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

I just wanted to say that any time I get to see Stephen Root, I'm happy.

I'm with you, Root will always be one of my favorites no matter where he shows up (and I hope he shows up here again soon and often). I love that they get such fantastic actors to play the judges and then give them such delicious characters to play....so much fun!

TargetDemo

TargetDemo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

I'm very mad at FBI Agent Sexy. Kalinda finally opens up and "hey, it's my job, so too bad you gotta die." And yes, she was getting a handjob. No offer of protection? Nothing? Ass! She deserved to be left unfinished. Still, the whole scene was way hotter f/f fully clothed than that naked S&M cringefest on Game Of Thrones. So I'll take it.

Cary hardly smirked the whole episode. Unbelievable. I almost didn't hate him. Nice blazer.

Less Stud!Will. Stud!Alicia would be nice, but I am enjoying Stud!Diane and Stud!Kalinda.

Hey, a Judge I actually enjoyed. Well. That's something new.

Eli has got to go. I've never enjoyed the guy. Still feels like stunt casting. I hope Diane finds a way to be rid of him.

Edited by TargetDemo, Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:54 AM.

dcalley

dcalley

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

When I saw Stephen Root, I was confused as to why everyone was wondering who he was. I thought, "You know him! He's the one who takes his pants off!" Then I remembered that's his character on Justified.

toogoodtobetrue

toogoodtobetrue

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

The cases of the week take up way too much time. I wish they would cut them by at least a few minutes. I really couldn't care less about whatever client/case they are defending.

So we had to wait 21 episodes for Alicia and Kalinda to rekindle. Great planning Kings. What a wate of a season and Archie Panjabi"s talent.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:38 AM

I thought they were strongly implying that the accused judge and the co-counsel they were casting blame to were lovers and that was why they were constantly together and why the accused was so sickened by throwing him under the bus.

I know they won't kill Kalinda, but it upsets me greatly that they brought Bishop into it. He's a scary guy and I don't see how they get out of this mess now. There is no handwaving with a guy like Lamond Bishop. SO once they invoke this threat, however they get out of it, I expect I'm going to feel it was badly handled.

Peter disgusts me. Agent Harassment disgusts me, too.

I hate the crap with Eli trying to oust Will. What the hell is his problem, anyway? I don't even care about Will so much as I think it's a huge waste of airtime to manufacture this particular drama with Eli.

The look on Cary's face when Sexist Partner was giving him direction was amazing. Poor guy has gone from one corrupt dickhead manager to another. I wonder if he thinks Will and Diane know and have sent Cary to babysit the moron (which insults his value as a new hire) or if the thinks they don't know and he'll have to tell them what he's been asked to do. I am going to assume he doesn't think they actually condone the suggestion of getting clients laid, but you never know. He may be fed up and disillusioned enough to give no one the benefit of any doubt anymore.

Alicia was very in control this episode, not in the sense of uptight/under wraps, but in the sense of she seemed very in command and confident and calm. Usually she gets a lot more supervision on cases, and this time they had her acting as an equal partner.

liese

liese

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

Possibilities I think Cary probably remembers the old guy (sexist partner) from before and knows that he basically harmless. There were a few really old guys that just hung around probably waiting to retire. It was more like he was humoring him than taking him seriously.

I think Lemond Bishop is a sexy, sexy man but I am not happy with him threatening Kalinda. But I am even more pissed off at that Lana chick. Can any Government agency just dream up an investigation into someone basically on a whim? Why doesn't Alicia or Kalinda go to her boss and fill them in on what is really going on. If I was Alicia I think I would be to the point of always taping every single one of my conversations. And I think that somehow this investigation is going to lead to Lemond putting a hit on Lana. Maybe he will pull a 2 for 1 special and take Grace out too. (she is so frigging annoying.) Just as long as he doesn't hurt Kalinda or Alicia.

No Jackie this episode and I was really hoping to see the fall out from her "stroke".

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

I thought they were strongly implying that the accused judge and the co-counsel they were casting blame to were lovers and that was why they were constantly together and why the accused was so sickened by throwing him under the bus.

Interesting, I didn't get that. What I couldn't figure out was how, if the co-counsel being with the defendant the entire time during the jury deliberations, made it clear how co-counsel couldn't have left the photos for the jury to see, how it didn't simultaneously make it impossible for the defendant judge to have done the same?