1-19: "The Return" 2012.04.22 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

300 replies to this topic

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:37 AM

It took a little time but I seem to have gained back some of my composure anyways. I also am on team Blue Fairy is a little more then what I thought she was. I also think she knows what the scoop is just as much as the others that know do. Now from what I have seen of this little critter with the funky dress and nice rack. She has a mean streak in her about a mile wide. The way she didn't even want to try to give that ditsy Fairy and ole Dreamy/Grumpy half a chance. Then when she messed up on this side ole Mother Supreme Bitch really ragged on her right in front of everybody. You would've thought the world was coming to an end the way she was all up in her shit. No telling what else she has done to be evil to others. I thought it rather humorious when Rumpelstiltskin was trying to stick her with that dagger. She was giving him the business then too. I can see why he don't much care for the little fairy dust devil. You can't say devil without saying evil.

I agree that if Pinocchio was turned from a wooden puppet into a real boy he would have become a wooden puppet again in the advent of the curse;

I don't know about this. Now that I think he might be:

August W Booth = AWB = a wooden boy?

I am with the thinking that he might be slowly turning back into wood with him all spasmoing out like he was doing after he woke up. Then with him going around telling people he don't lie and all. I wonder if his nose will grow if he does actually tell one? Possibly when Emma decided to stay is when he started slowly turning back to wood. Didn't he say something about shin splints when him and Emma were down by the creek that day? I know that writers like to throw little things like that in to make themselves feel like they are getting one over on everybody.

The David and Mary margaret plotline has become very repetative and tedious. Why wouldn't David return to Archhie to try to discover the source of his "memories" of (as he thought) MM going to kill Katheryn. He can't any longer believe those memories.

I agree. Way to redundant. I really think that they could of and should of done a way better job on this storyline. It has got to the point that I could care less about these two on the Storybrooke side of the show. If I was Kathryn and he tried kissing my noggin I would have busted him a good one right square in the nads and told him he needed to tear his ass.

I don't think he chose power over Bae, I think he "chose" his fear. Carlyle had Rumpel looking frightened in a very believable, unflattering way.

I don't know about "chose" or not. Maybe. I would like to think it was more of an unwilling act of fear. Something that was done like when you put your hand down for a dog you don't know to sniff it but the dog wants to eat half of it. So you pull it back real fast like. I like to think this because they have made it very clear that Rumpelstiltskin does love Baelfire more then anything else. He did look pretty terrified. Robert Carlyle is very convincing in his performance of this character.....

KCJenna

KCJenna

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

We don't know that he's under the Dark One curse and the Storybrooke curse has only contained his power but still kept the evil, evidence suggests that the Dark one is completely suppressed which means that his behavior as Gold is how he's evolved from the things he's done as the Dark One. This is the real guy, no magic, no curse and only his own choices to bring him back to the man he used to be. So when he tries to beat a man to death or subdues a younger guy, takes a knife and walks away looking like a complete psychopath, he's far scarier than the imp under the influence of magic and a curse.

Interesting. We do know that it's a "Land Without Magic", but since almost everyone in town is under the influence of a curse, we know that curses still work. So, I think Rumple could still be under the influence of the Dark One curse, but just lack the associated magical abilities. Kind of like how the dark curse has twisted David's honor and chivalry into... well, not wanting to hurt either Kathryn or Mary Margaret. Rumple's love for his son was twisted into wanting power to protect his son, and, by extention, his possessions, and quite possibly other children. Rumple has lived with the curse for so long, that he might be able to keep himself from killing anyone in Storybrook, but he still has the need for power. I think if he were not still under the influence of the Dark One Curse, that he wouldn't have the physical manifestation of the gold teeth (they just seem symbolic to me).

Although similar to the influence of the One Ring, I liken the curse more to possession by the Mistwraith, for anyone who has read Janny Wurts "War of Light and Shadows" series -- something that got in a person and perverted their defining personality trait.

lubi

lubi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

The David and Mary margaret plotline has become very repetative and tedious. Why wouldn't David return to Archhie to try to discover the source of his "memories" of (as he thought) MM going to kill Katheryn. He can't any longer believe those memories.

And what about his blackouts? did they just stopped? Why even make such a big deal about it and then just not bring it up again. I was really hoping they would led to him remembering or that we would get a flashback of what he did but there was nothing. I hope they go back to that before the season ends.

Edited by lubi, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:48 AM.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

So...I take it you're not a Rumpel fan?

Actually I like him...as an evil psycho plot instigator in a goofy tv show that I am addicted to despite my better judgement (and the derisive laughter of everyone I know.) I just don't want to give him a pass on his horrible things he had done and continues to do. But you put it much more eloquently then me. Gold is free from the curse, his years of evil have just made him a horrible, psychotic person, just like Regina's deeds have made her a horrible psychotic person. Both of them gave up their "souls," for power and revenge..Rumple by keeping his curse( and hey, here's a way out fall on the freaking knife yoursel and then no one gets the power) Regina by turning her back on the last chance of salvation by setting the curse in motion (as Maleficent said, she would loose a part of herself that she would never get back...and I think that the real reason for this is not the curse itself, but that Regina would kill the person she loves to the most to get petty revenge on a stupid princess and her bland husband.) The real reason that Regina can't "love," Henry in the conventional sense, she gave up her right to do that, just as Gold gave up his right to love and be happy in this world for, each chance he got to give up his power, he refused to do so..(and in some ways rightly so, if I had Regina riding my ass I wouldnt let go of it either.)

I just am annoyed by people who give Gold a pass, "cause its the curse made him do it, Belle's love would change him..." That's like me excusing Regina cause she is hot, has a great rack, is smart and funny and I think Snow and Charming are annoying too. Both of them are now human, and both of them still cause evil in this world, all because of the choices they made in their world, neither one is better then the other. However, I do think that they CAN both be redeemed and that it will be a hard and bumpy road for them if and when they make the choice to do so, and as well it should be. I have no doubt that both of them will continually sabotage each other's chances for redemption, which will be fun to see!

And I thought I was the only one who disliked Belle. The Belle in the movie would never have taken Rumple's crap and not called him on the carpet and she would never have believed Regina's lies( who at that time was in full Evil Queen mode and everyone knew they could never trust her.) This Belle was a silly girl who would believe true love can cure all, which we know now that they are in our world, isnt going to happen.

Then when she messed up on this side ole Mother Supreme Bitch really ragged on her right in front of everybody. You would've thought the world was coming to an end the way she was all up in her shit. No telling what else she has done to be evil to others. I thought it rather humorious when Rumpelstiltskin was trying to stick her with that dagger. She was giving him the business then too. I can see why he don't much care for the little fairy dust devil. You can't say devil without saying evil.

LOL...there is a reason they made her a nun...nun's equal sanctimonious, bitchy, self-rightous EVIL!!!

I do think its funny that this goofy little fairy is giving Rumple, Regina and eveyone else a pain in their collective buts. Anyone who annoys Rumple is aces in my book. I just got to see her interact with my beloved Regina! Bitch fight ON. Go Blue!!!

mdumont

mdumont

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

So maybe it's just me, but as the episode went on it seemed like Rumple's face got worse and worse until the end with his fight with the fairy. Like every time he gave in to the power his body/face etc became darker and ugly reveling how his heart was. Anyone catch that?

I did. The same thing seemed to happen during Skin Deep. When he was with Belle, he was almost glowing and very human like. At the beginning and end of the episode when she was not with him, his skin was darker and more sparkly.

The eyes change, too. When Rumple is calm and more human-like his eyes are usually brown and when he is agitated and crazy they are that creepy blue grey color.

They also do the same thing with the makeup for Mr. Gold. The amount of charcoal eyeshadow used usually reflects his inner emotional state. When Gold was pleasantly chatting with Henry there was no eyeshadow and he looked just like Robert Carlye in real life. At the party there was some grey on the lids for a harsher look when Gold was talking to Emma, and they really put in on thick when Gold was going toe to toe with Regina, giving him a mean, sinister look.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

Hmm.. lubi, good question about David's 'black-outs'. I figured someone somehow induced that foggy state in David to make him look suspicious and pin the murder on him.

If this world is the 'World without magic'.. there sure seems to be a lot of carry-over/bleed-through of magic. The heavy-duty curse which didn't just end once they arrived in this world, the mysterious horrible things that happen at the city limits, crushing hearts ability, seemingly being able to 'conjurer up' people as needed (Kathryn, a D.A./King George, etc..) Assuming everyone has been in a haze for 28 years I doubt they much needed a real legal system. The hat working for Jefferson. The town clock moving as Emma decides to stay, etc..

Jefferson said that there may be many worlds without magic.

Jefferson: *A* real world. How arrogant are you to think yours is the only one? There are infinite more. You have to open your mind. They touch one another -- pressing up in a long line of lands. Each just as real as the last -- all have their own rules. Some have magic; some don't. And some need magic, like this one, and that's where you come in. You and your friend are not leaving here, until you make my hat -- until you get it to work.

I cannot help but wonder how Rumpelstiltskin could have know which world Bae went to.. or what the 'rules' would be in that land.. he could have expected it would be one of the lands without magic, but how could he have known what the rules for time would be and how the centuries may have passed for Bae. He has to wonder if Bae is still alive. After all, Emma aged 'normally' in our world

As for Rumpelstiltskin, I find him (and Mr. Gold) fascinating .. and sometimes gross. As for paying the price for magic, maybe that is a lesson that he learned over the centuries. The changing-a-person-to-snail-and-crushing-them scenario happened early on in his curse/transformation when he seemed more impulsive in his use of magic.

The difference between the evil of Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold and Regina, in my humble opinion, is that I don't believe Rumpelstiltskin would kill/rip the heart out of Bae or Belle, but Regina did so to those she loved to get what she wanted. In either situation, it shows us that people can do horrible, evil things for both vengeance and love. It will be interesting to see what happens if it comes down to a choice for the two of them in this world.. Mr. Gold & Belle/Bae and Regina & Henry. We have already seen what Regina did to Graham in this world.

Regina is also a fascinating character so well played by Lana Parrilla, but she freaks me out. I had a close encounter of the sociopathic kind with a woman very much like Regina, in a church setting no less (she kinda looks like her too).. too close to home. *shiver*

As for August being Pinocchio, the signs are TOO obvious.. he almost has to be someone else, doesn't he? I like the Jack in the beanstalk suggestion, although I always thought that was an odd children's story.. usually 'fairytale' stories teach a moral but the morals in 'Jack in the Beanstalk' are horrible.. stealing is OK, killing the giant you stole from is OK, doing whatever you have to is OK - so long as you 'win'. Terrible story from a teaching perspective.

Edited by MorninStar, Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:32 AM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

As for August being Pinocchio, the signs are TOO obvious.. he almost has to be someone else, doesn't he?

Aside from the promos for next week I don't see anything obvious about it. He's done absolutely nothing so far that would make me think he's Pinocchio. "I never lie" doesn't scream "Pinocchio" to me.

And if he's turning back into a wooden puppet, well then - they are contradicting the idea that magic does not exist in this world. If he had been turned into a real boy by the Blue Fairy by the time the curse was enacted, he would have either a.) been turned back into a wooden puppet or b.) been transported to Storybrook as a real boy, forgetting everything he knew just like everyone else. Why should he be exempt?

And if he's a living person in our world and grew up, but now is turning back into wood . . . well, that's magic. If that can happen, then Regina and Gold and the Mother Superior should all be able to do magic too. And Rumplestiltskin's dagger should have worked.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

And if he's a living person in our world and grew up, but now is turning back into wood . . . well, that's magic. If that can happen, then Regina and Gold and the Mother Superior should all be able to do magic too. And Rumplestiltskin's dagger should have worked.

We already know that some magic works in our world-- if it didn't, the curse would have failed in the first place. It's implied that Emma is bringing magic to our world, or at least to Storybrooke, which raises the question of whether or not our world is one void of magic, or simply one where no one has ever successfully tapped into the magic running through it.

Either way, there's clearly magic in effect even within Storybrooke. But until the curse is broken (and maybe not even then), I don't think there will be enough magic for Regina, Gold et al to use, or to power all of the magical objects that once existed.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

He did nearly beat a man to death. He also arranged for Kathryn to be in a car accident, which could have killed her, then had her held captive in a dark basement for weeks. Has Mr. Gold killed anyone? No, but I think he's scary and twisted as all get out.

The one thing he is innocent of is causing Kathryn's accident. Kathryn had decided to go to Boston. Bad things happen to people who leave Storybrooke. Gold took advantage of the accident, but he didn't directly cause it. Yes, if you take it back to the fact that he made the curse, he was responsible for bad things happening to people who try to leave, but he made no direct move against Kathryn.

I also think that Gold is taking teensy baby steps toward redemption. Yes, he beat Belle's father and might have killed him if Emma hadn't intervened. But Emma did say he managed to not damage anything he needs, so even in his fury, Gold showed some restraint. I think that the fact that he was willing to give "Bae" his dagger and in fact had hidden it in the woods shows a willingness to relinquish his power permanently, once he finds Bae. We have seen him use money and power over the inhabitants of Storybrooke, but even with the fairies (nuns) he hasn't raised the rent and turned them out on the street. He didn't kill Kathryn. Now it did work out in his favor, but he could have had it work out with killing Kathryn. Simply kill her during Mary Margarette's trial. Once Mary Margarette is found guilty, Kathryn's body is found and obviously died only a few days ago, while Mary Margarette was safely in jail. That would have fulfilled Regina's INTENTIONS as well as the deal and still have put Regina in a very bad place. Instead he kept Kathryn alive and still kept the deal with Regina, to the letter.

I'm not saying Gold is a good person and he may well end up not redeeming himself. But in the time we have seen him he has tried to connect David with Emma's mobile, gotten Mary Margarette off on murder charges, manipulated things so Emma became sheriff and most importantly he has not killed anyone. During the same time Regina killed Graham, plotted to kill Kathryn (her only friend), worked to frame Mary Margarette, and gotten Sidney to take the fall for her part in the Kathryn debacle. Of the two, I think Rumple/Gold had a better chance of redemption than Regina.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

Yes, he beat Belle's father and might have killed him if Emma hadn't intervened. But Emma did say he managed to not damage anything he needs, so even in his fury, Gold showed some restraint.

Considering what Gold thought Moe had done to Belle, that's one action I give him a pass on. I wouldn't be too kindly disposed to someone who I thought had tortured to death someone I love, either. And because Moe would have never been held accountable for it in Fairy Tale World, Gold decided to make him accountable for it in our world. Granted, there was a fair bit of his own self-loathing mixed into the beating, and there's the (possible, depending on Belle's back story here) issue of Moe having no idea of what Gold is talking about, but still. If Moe WAS guilty of what he'd been accused of, I'd be 100% on Gold's side.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

So far, no one has given a reason for the title "The Return". I even tweeted Jane Espenson, with no reply. I guess I will try again. The return of what or who?

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

So far, no one has given a reason for the title "The Return". I even tweeted Jane Espenson, with no reply. I guess I will try again. The return of what or who?

My guess is red herring. We were meant to think it was "the return" of Baelfire.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

That is what I kinda figured, but so far each title has had a clear message, so it's really got me puzzled. It just doesn't seem consistent to me.

Darth Kittious

Darth Kittious

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

Miss Muffet,

Perhaps "The Return" (supposedly) of Bae? Just to keep the illusion for the viewing audience until the last moment.

Also, to those who say there isn't really any indication that August is Pinnochio aside from his statement about not lying...there was also the carved wooden donkey sitting by the phone that was picked up and looked at significantly. I'm buying the theory that as the magic is being introduced into Storeybrooke, he is slowing turning back into wood.

Edited because I must have had this page sitting open for quite awhile before I decided to reply. Too. Slow.

Edited by Darth Kittious, Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:59 PM.

Zanne

Zanne

Stalker

• Interests:I'm a female of the species - what species, I'll leave up to you. Just to clarify my name since it makes people think I'm a boy...it's not Zane like rain, but Zanne like fan.

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

So far, no one has given a reason for the title "The Return".

If we go with the fact that August is a writer that favors typewriters, maybe it refers to the "return" key, the old school way of starting a new line. This moment is starting a new story.

Or maybe it just means a return to the beginning, the whole reason this curse was developed in the first place.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Yes, Jane Espenson just replied to my tweet! ;) It was a mislead about Bae returning.

Although I do like what Zanne said..

Or maybe it just means a return to the beginning, the whole reason this curse was developed in the first place.

Darth Kittious said..

I'm buying the theory that as the magic is being introduced into Storeybrooke, he is slowing turning back into wood.

While I understand why you and 95% of everyone think that, My problem is that we should see signs of Mr. Gold turning, uh, well, Gold or impish and Archie starting to chirp. I guess they could explain it away with excuses, but I just don't buy it.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

I guess even if it were mostly meant to be a misdirect, it could also be referring to The Return of Katherine, The Return of Mary Margaret to society, and the focus of the flashbacks was Bae hoping for The Return of his real father by whatever means possible.

SevenSolis

SevenSolis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

While I understand why you and 95% of everyone think that, My problem is that we should see signs of Mr. Gold turning, uh, well, Gold or impish and Archie starting to chirp. I guess they could explain it away with excuses, but I just don't buy it.

Mr. Gold and Archie reverted to their natural human forms. Magical creatures like fairies and genies were turned into mundane humans because those things don't exist in our world. But Pinnochio's natural state is wood, which does exist in our realm. I think the curse is only now starting to effect him now that he's entered Storybrooke.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

I think the curse is only now starting to effect him now that he's entered Storybrooke.

Then why doesn't he leave Storybrooke?

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

""Any fairytale character who enters can't leave? August may have known the dangers but thought Emma would become the curse-busting savior-beleiver a lot faster than she has. He says as much to Gold.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:42 AM

""Any fairytale character who enters can't leave? August may have known the dangers but thought Emma would become the curse-busting savior-beleiver a lot faster than she has. He says as much to Gold.

So with this information can Emma not leave now? She actually came from Fairytale Land herself. Her only attempt as I recall is when she had Hansel and Grettel in the back seat of the car but still only got as far as the sign. I can understand Henry being able to come and go because he is from this side. But as for Emma It is possible that she might not be able to leave now either. It's really hard to say. If Boothe can't leave then I would have to think Emma can't leave either.

My thinking on this is that it was finally "The Return" of the damn show!!!

His goal isn't to be uncursed and not curse someone else: it's to be reunited with his son and he was at the least willing to cause several deaths and condemn a world's population to 28 years of being cursed in order to get what he wants. That's selfish.

I love how they have him in Fairytale Land just not getting it. I mean completely off base. Even after all the time that went by he still had no idea what Baelfire was really wanting. Then on this side without all the hocus pocus mumbo jumbo and just being human again. He still dosen't get it!!! Maybe it's just me but I find that rather humorious.

I know Rumple the Dark One killed people left, right and center but has Gold killed anyone? I know he might have murdered Belle's dad but has he actually killed anyone? I don't remember it if he has. I think in Storybrooke we see mostly the man he was with just enough of the Dark One mentality to make him braver than he might otherwise be as a human.

My thoughts on this are that in Fairytale Land he was an extremely powerful individual. He was not one to be easily apprehended. Even though they did trick him and had him caged right before the curse took affect. I, for some reason don't think it would have been for very long. Now on this side without all the magic he can be easily taken into custody and be held responsible for his actions.

As far as him having any redeemable qualities. I do believe he does. I think it was very important for him to be as powerful as he was in Fairytale Land just so there was someone to keep Ragina in check on that side. To a certain extent that is. A sort of a balancing out of the power so to speak. His redemption in my mind would have to be a long process of proving his genuineness to actually atone for all the horrible deeds he had done. Needless to say this would not be an easy process of events.....

ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

I don't think Rumpel was worrying about keeping Regina in check - I think he wanted her to become fully nutso enough to cast the curse for him, since he couldn't do it himself. I really cannot see him just sitting around hoping he'd run into a person with the specific combination of absolute hatred of all the world except love for one person needed to cast the curse. Nothing about him suggests he would not have actively cultivated such a person in order to get his curse cast, and that person was Regina. He wasn't protecting the world from her, he was preparing her to help him screw the world. I'm pretty sure given Rumpel's plan as shown in this episode that she is a line on his plane, not vice versa.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

Also, to those who say there isn't really any indication that August is Pinnochio aside from his statement about not lying...there was also the carved wooden donkey sitting by the phone that was picked up and looked at significantly. I'm buying the theory that as the magic is being introduced into Storeybrooke, he is slowing turning back into wood.

I didn't notice a carved donkey so maybe I missed that. Still, by the show's own logic, either August is affected by the curse, or he isn't. They can't have it both ways. If he was sent to our world before the curse was enacted, then he wouldn't be affected by it - just like Emma. If Emma is somehow weakening the curse by being in Storybrook, that shouldn't be the cause of August dying, because he's not affected by the curse. The curse didn't keep him alive - if it did, he'd be in the same boat as everyone else in Storybrook.

If the idea here is that Gepetto or someone else sent Pinocchio to our world before the curse was enacted, and that he grew up here, and that now he's turning back into wood because Emma is weakening the curse, that doesn't make any sense. If it's the curse that kept him alive, he should have died the second he entered our world, because he did so before the curse was enacted. If it's not the curse that kept him alive, then weakening it or ending it wouldn't have any effect on him.

Besides, his stated goal has been to get Emma to believe in the curse so she can end it. If her presence in Storybrook is weakening the curse and thus causing him to die, then he should be trying to get her out of town and forget about Storybrook, not trying to get her to end the curse.

jillypups

jillypups

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

If the idea here is that Gepetto or someone else sent Pinocchio to our world before the curse was enacted, and that he grew up here, and that now he's turning back into wood because Emma is weakening the curse, that doesn't make any sense. If it's the curse that kept him alive, he should have died the second he entered our world, because he did so before the curse was enacted. If it's not the curse that kept him alive, then weakening it or ending it wouldn't have any effect on him.

I think the theory is that he's turning back to wood/succumbing to paralysis because of the curse, and because Emma has been so slow to break it. Gepetto having sent him to our world but not through the curse means he would have been unaffected by it, until he went into Storybrooke AKA the realm of the curse. Since Emma is so reluctant to believe, the curse is beginning to revert him to puppet form (his true form, which is after all why Jiminy is a human and not a cricket).

Hey, maybe it's the curse that is deflating Emma's hair? Not that I'm complaining.

edited for grammar's sake

Edited by jillypups, Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:45 PM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

August could be Pinocchio, there are a lot of hints that he may be but there have also been other signs. The Kansas license plates.. the oil can August walked past in Mr. Golds workshop.. They could pull a Ruby/Red is the Wolf switcheroo on us. I think it could go either way.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

I don't think Rumpel was worrying about keeping Regina in check - I think he wanted her to become fully nutso enough to cast the curse for him, since he couldn't do it himself.

I totally agree with what you are saying. Poor choice of words on my part there. It seemed to me though that he sure didn't want her to be more powerful than he is. Or else he wouldn't have worried about losing his power when Belle kissed him. I don't know because now that I think about it, I think what I said was kind of stupid. I think my thinker might be a little broken.

Now Belle's kiss was breaking down the dark one curse. I'm not really sure just how he made it stop working but that is obviously a way to break that curse without him having to die. I think anyway. If for some reason I am wrong here please refer to the last sentance in the paragraph above this one.

Hey, maybe it's the curse that is deflating Emma's hair? Not that I'm complaining.

That's funny, because the last picture I saw of her she had red hair. She had to color it for some movie she is doing over the summer break.

I'm not really sure of the significance of the wooden donkey other then maybe teasing us. I do recall seeing Gold checking it out though.

I think the theory is that he's turning back to wood/succumbing to paralysis because of the curse, and because Emma has been so slow to break it. Gepetto having sent him to our world but not through the curse means he would have been unaffected by it, until he went into Storybrooke AKA the realm of the curse. Since Emma is so reluctant to believe, the curse is beginning to revert him to puppet form (his true form, which is after all why Jiminy is a human and not a cricket).

So I take it that he didn't know that this would happen untill after he got there then. If he knew before hand I sure would think he would stay as far away from that place as he possibly could.

With the way they did Boothe in this last episode. I think I am going to stay neutral on who he may be. Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me.....

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

August could be Pinocchio, there are a lot of hints that he may be but there have also been other signs. The Kansas license plates.. the oil can August walked past in Mr. Golds workshop..

Tin Man? Upthread I speculated that he grabbed his leg because of the pain of turning into wood, but maybe he was getting rusty.

ETA more

Edited by shapeshifter, Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:45 PM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I LOVED this episosde. Unlike others, I do think that Rumple/Gold is redeemeable, but that's because he was a good man who, like Anakin Skywalker, allowed evil to take him over and can't see past the power he thinks he needed and wanted. I believe that good man is still inside him, unlike with Regina, who became evil and who, IMO, is (as Emma said) truly psycopathic (or was it sociopathic). She's completely irredeemable, but of course she's the Evil Queen, so we already knew that going in. I thought Gold/Rumple would be redeemed by Belle, but I think she's more likely to be a conduit so that he's fully redeemed by his son. The whole thing should make for terrific storytelling.

I've always liked August, so I admit I did not like him trying to fool Mr. Gold that way; that was emotionally cruel.

Mary Margaret's "friends" aren't so friendly as they mostly abandoned her during her recent tribulations.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

I loved this episode, because it gave us insight into the character of Rumpelstilskin. Whether he's redeemable or not is a matter for debate (to quote The Avengers "He has a lot of red in [his] ledger") but (like Regina last episode) his motivations are just so human. It's easy to imagine a weak and bullied man who suddenly gains awesome powers would want to take his revenge on the world and be terrified of the fact that if he gives up his powers, he might fail his son - it's a clear demonstration of Lord Acton's axiom "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" I guess it's fitting that his son was, like the Mad Hatter's daughter, content to be poor (though he might not have been had he been conscripted into the army), so we get a repeat of the "Love makes you do the wacky!" when it comes to their children.

I smiled at "We're glad you're not a murderer!" Does Hallmark do a card like that?

Irish64 I like Katherine and really, David has one hell of a cool and forgiving wife.

To a quite ridiculous extent - it's one thing to accept that your husband loves somebody else, and quite another to accept that he's publicly cavorting (well, as much cavorting as you get on a PG rated show) with another woman.

Codger my favorite line was "He's a typewriter, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in stubble."

Loved it too!

xqueenfrostine We only know that it was a kiss with Emma that jogged his memories.

So maybe Emma should try kissing everyone in town!?

Edited by John Potts, Aug 9, 2012 @ 6:24 PM.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

I was disappointed there was no deleted scene from this episode on the DVD? I thought there was supposed to be another scene with Kathryn?