5-6: "Far Away Places" 2012.04.22 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

721 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

From Comcast.com:

Peggy has a tough time during a particularly formidable pitch; Don calls on a potential client.

While youíre waiting for the thread to open, enjoy listening to Bing sing the song with the same title.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:29 AM.

Janepod

Janepod

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

"Every time we fight it diminishes ..." what? I couldn't catch the last thing Megan said.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

So I watched it over a crappy Skype connection --- which made the LSD trip even MORE confusing.

What was on the pad of paper Burt left?

Janepod: "us"

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:59 PM.
Please save the @ for Twitter

ShellsandCheese

ShellsandCheese

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Great episode. Best of the season as far as I am concerned. Megan and Don are so very bad for each other. And I love Cooper finally telling Don to get it together. And the actress that played Jane is absolutely stunning. The scene of her without make-up/bare make-up, she is gorgeous.

jr352

jr352

Couch Potato

Have to admit, first time I've starting to get impatient with this season. Even with Roger and Jane's separation, feels like a whole lot of nothing is going on. The new Draper marriage isn't doing it for me.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

I was hoping Don would walk in on Megan having a threesome

Yay Bert, glad somebody called out Don.

Poor Peggy works so hard and then is talked down to and called a little girl.

HollyTime

HollyTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

An ad that had "Do over" scribbled across it.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Do over.

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Have to admit, first time I've starting to get impatient with this season. Even with Roger and Jane's separation, feels like a whole lot of nothing is going on. The new Draper marriage isn't doing it for me.

I have to respectfully disagree. This may be one of the best episodes of the season.

Peggy is getting a little ballsy - literally and figuratively.
Roger and Jane trips balls.
Cooper tells Don to get his balls back.

He was referring to Megan.

Edited by DimeStormRing, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:09 PM.

DrivingSideways

DrivingSideways

Couch Potato

[snip] I am not enjoying the direction/storytelling of this season. There is something foreboding about it, I feel like when I used to watch the Sopranos and always expecting somebody to be killed. The little quick shot of the lighter in the car... it made me feel like something was going to happen, like it was going to explode. Then Megan's cough and the opening of the window? I just feel like there are a lot more of these moments happening this season. Sometimes I prefer straight-ahead storytelling over little hints of major future developments.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:58 PM.
"I am probably alone" is boards on boards

HollyTime

HollyTime

Loyal Viewer

Any fondness I have had for Don is completely gone. He is a pig, as Megan stated. He is lucky she came back.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

I'm pretty sure the "little girl" he was referring to was Megan. As in Megan is running Don?

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Ginsberg's offhand dialogue about being a Martian was sad enough, what with his obvious social issues and eccentric nature and his problems connecting with people, but when he followed up with explaining about being born in a concentration camp, I seriously started crying. I don't know why I found it so sad and so moving, but I did. (I suppose he could be lying, but I don't think so.)

Bert telling off Don was great. "It's amazing things are going as well as they are with as little as you are doing." Oh, snap! Not cool that Bert called Peggy a "little girl," though. Ugh.

So I guess the couple that drops acid together doesn't actually stay together, huh? The Russian (?) music coming from the bottle during Roger's hallucination was hilarious, though.

Megan scored serious points with me when she started wolfing down the orange sherbet with exaggerated delight, although the subsequent fight seemed like more in the nature of a parent/child fight than a marital spat. I half-expected Megan to tell Don "You're not my dad!".

I've hated every scene in this series that involved Don roughing up women, and I equally hated Don chasing Megan around the apartment.

"I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" from the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album was playing during the LSD trip. Brian Wilson was heavily into using LSD during 1965-67. I think it also fits in with where Roger's head has been at lately.

That was a bit on the nose for me, myself. Then again, this season has been lacking in subtlety.

Edited by Blue32, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:12 PM.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

"Born Free...so free with a handy"...priceless! Megan is right, Howard Joh nson's sherbet is gawd-awful!

daisybumble

daisybumble

Couch Potato

As if I didn't love Mad Men enough already, the show had to perfectly use a song from my favorite album. "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" from the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album was playing during the LSD trip. Brian Wilson was heavily into using LSD during 1965-67. I think it also fits in with where Roger's head has been at lately.

Driving Sideways wrote:

I know I'm probably alone, but I am not enjoying the direction/storytelling of this season. There is something foreboding about it, I feel like when I used to watch the Sopranos and always expecting somebody to be killed. The little quick shot of the lighter in the car... it made me feel like something was going to happen, like it was going to explode. Then Megan's cough and the opening of the window? I just feel like there are a lot more of these moments happening this season. Sometimes I prefer straight-ahead storytelling over little hints of major future developments.

Normally I would agree. But more and more this season, I'm loving the thought that something really, really weird/creepy/awful is going to happen. I wasn't born until the 1970s, but I deeply enjoy studying the 1960s (it also helps that I'm an English teacher who often has to put on a Social Studies hat when giving historical context for literature). It always seemed to me that starting around 1966, many weird, creepy, and awful things began happening in American society, and Mad Men is using that perfectly as a basis for the storytelling.

Edited by daisybumble, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

• Interests:Used to be dartmouthhoop here...I was a bad boy!!! Love to chat about TV...message me anytime.

Near flawless re-creation of a Ho-Jo's....just sayin'

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I don't recognize this Megan- she seems to have NO connection to the Megan from last season. And while Don was wrong to leave her, what kind of idiot is she to think he won't come back? It looked like he wasn't even gone for half an hour. She could have gotten the hotel key, made an excuse.

And what kind of brat doesn't pick up the phone? I'm sorry, but while Don may be bossy, she WAS mean about the sherbet. I just do not get her anymore.

Peggy's behavior is reckless. Why would she think it was impossible for a baby to be born in a concentration camp? Did she think nobody who went in was pregnant, or could get pregnant? Now we know Abe is Jewish too, though.

Why was Dawn still at the office at 8:30? When Don had left for the day?

HollyTime

HollyTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

Then Megan's cough and the opening of the window?

I think it's an indication of the increasing signs of their incompatibility.

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I've hated every scene in this series that involved Don roughing up women, and I equally hated Don chasing Megan around the apartment.

I really thought someone was going to flip over the balcony by accident.

Why was Dawn still at the office at 8:30? When Don had left for the day?

I think she was looking after Peggy?

Peggy's behavior is reckless. Why would she think it was impossible for a baby to be born in a concentration camp? Did she think nobody who went in was pregnant, or could get pregnant? Now we know Abe is Jewish too, though.

Concentration camps really weren't discussed openly until the late 70s.

Edited by DimeStormRing, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

mamiesan

mamiesan

Couch Potato

What was the scene in the car with Sally and Bobby just having come from Disney World or Disney Land?

vb68

vb68

Stalker

My AHA moment on all of that was Peggy desperately needs to learn that she can't be Don. And when she finally realizes that, the sky is the limit.

I was so hoping Megan was gone for good. No trace whatsoever. Don would never know what happened. Too much to wish for I know, but boy it would have been justice.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I loved this episode, too. It made me incredibly nostalgic for the times when my family went to the Howard Johnson's restaurant on Sundays after church.

Chikibun

Chikibun

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I -really- enjoyed this episode.

But gosh, I -hated- Roger's "trip" during the LSD. Not that it was incredibly dull or annoying.

The whole thing seemed Lynchian in a way. So of course I was -seriously- creeped out. Just the little things like the man's face in the photograph with the dark/gray hair. Roger watching from the sidelines as he dances with Jane. Nearly all of it seriously had me shuddering.

Can't wait for the encore. .

NoVaResident

NoVaResident

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I know I'm probably alone, but I am not enjoying the direction/storytelling of this season. There is something foreboding about it, I feel like when I used to watch the Sopranos and always expecting somebody to be killed.

I felt like Tony should be walking around the corner at any moment in this episode. Or that we'd see Tony having a conversation with Pussy through the fish marked medium again....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Qo6cNQwN6LQ

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

I'm pretty sure the "little girl" comment referred to Peggy. Bert was accusing Don of not being focused on his work and leaving a "little girl" to run things.

Scrubs9

Scrubs9

Video Archivist

I thought that was the best episode of the season. And YAY for Bert finally calling Don on his lack of effort recently. I imagine this is the turning point for AdMan Don.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I do think Bert was referring to Peggy as in he left the Heinz account in a little girl's hands when he left.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

He was referring to Megan.

I think it was Peggy. Peggy is handling all the work while Don is out on "love leave" with Megan.

Very interesting ep. It took me a minute to realize we were seeing the same day from different perspectives.

So Don and Megan have been having regular fights. When we've been assuming they've been late because of love making, they've probably been late because of fighting.

I'm not sure what to make of Ginsburg's remark that he's from Mars.

Roger & Jane's acid trip was ... a trip. Roger sure seems fine with divorcing Jane even though it'll cost him a lot.

And YAY for Peggy talking back to the Heinz guy.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

What was the scene in the car with Sally and Bobby just having come from Disney World or Disney Land?

Don was remembering the Disneyland trip where he proposed.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Don and Megan driving the kids home from the airport after they returned from LA in Tomorrowland.

That... is going to take a lot of processing. No wonder Jon Hamm is always reminding people that Don Draper is not a nice person. :-)

@lz1982: Don proposed in his apartment the next morning.

Edited by Inquisitionist, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.