Hotel Impossible

• Please log in to reply

283 replies to this topic

ButterflyRei

ButterflyRei

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Competition is fierce in the hotel business. Online review sites can kill a business' reputation with one bad review. Staffs are untrained, surly or apathetic in a profession that lives or dies on service. So what's a struggling hotel operator to do? Bring in Anthony Melchiorri, a hotel "fixer," who can turn any establishment around in weeks ... and he does just that in Hotel Impossible, a new one-hour series, premiering Monday, April 9, at 10|9c.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I watched two shows already; the concept is the same as all the other fix it shows. The second episode with the Penguin Hotel was interesting, I can't believe the owners made their guests go another hotel to get the complimentary drinks and breakfast. The place was dirty and gross. The cleaning staff didn't speak much english and the lady in charge didn't keep an eye on their work. The valet parking was a joke too. It seems like people buy these hotels and don't want /can't afford to fix anything.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Everything feels so rushed. There is so much to cover in a hotel makeover (lobby, guest rooms, restaurant, grounds, exterior appearance, staff, management, etc) that one hour doesn't provide enough time to see the details.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

I've seen both episodes too. I've never seen Anthony on anything else but he does look like Pit Bull and he's very hyper. I know I'll be checking hotels the same way he does from now on forward!!

That being said I like the way the designer fixed up the lobby in the Fla episode. I like Anthony arguing with her about color and then being wrong. I couldn't believe guests had to go through an alley to get drinks and breakfast. Where were the owners when common sense was being distributed?

Edited by NYGirl, Apr 22, 2012 @ 3:17 PM.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:34 AM

I saw the Penguin Hotel episode. I really like this show. Just like Restaurant Impossible, I'd like to see how the hotel is doing now. Anthony is less arrogant/rude than Robert Irvine in my opinion. I totally am going to continue watching.

becky4201

becky4201

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Just watched the Hotel New Yorker episode. What a beautiful place & so affordable! I really hope the family is successful.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:24 AM

I was really pulling for the family that owned the New Yorker. They were very open to Anthony's changes. However, I was not crazy about the patio makeover. I thought it looked fine before the makeover. At least we weren't focused on the cleaning staff this week. A pleasant surprise.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

I have enjoyed this show too. I couldn't believe how arrogant the brother was on the first show with the resort on Long Island and how he brushed everything off with "it's island time, no worries" The place was a dump, I wouldn't be spending $400 a night to stay there no matter how close it was to the beach.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

The owners of the Purple Orchid have a great place to work with.
Since they said a lot of their business is weddings, I was really surprised that they let the chairs and the rest of the porch area get so dirty.
I'm glad Anthony redid the spa. I think the owners knew that it needed it badly, but probably didn't have the cash flow to pay for it.
They hadn't thought about talking with the vintners, though.

SteakHead

SteakHead

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

The Ocean Manor episode was good hotel to revamp. GOod location and a lot of potential for upside. Plus the owner got points for not being combative and being realistic and at least honest enough to admit he flipped properties. However, the owner loses points because he seems like one of those douchebags who just flipped properties by doing the bare minimum to revamp them and then trying to get rich quick.

The host looks goofy as hell but at least gets to the point and so far no stupid Kitchen Nightmares level contrivances though I wouldn't be surprised if some scenes were staged to simulate what happens.

Callasin

Callasin

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

I watched the Penguin Hotel episode last night. I was curious so I looked up reviews and the current ones seem to be a mix of bad and good. Some still mentioned the mold in the showers.

It bothered me that they were quickly able to set up a bar in a couple of days. I don't know what the law is in Florida but in my state it takes a little longer than that to get a license. Maybe they had an existing license?

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Several of the supervisors at the Ocean Manor must have known that things were sloppy on their watch.
Guests had complained a lot about dirty rooms and surly parking attendants, plus you only had to look out the door to see guests being ignored.
What was the one woman's job, other than valet oversight?

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

What kind of job did the woman have who wore the red dress, black tights, and red boots? All of those people needed to be in uniform appropriate to their work.

I thought I would barf when the maid put her mouth on the towel. And wearing earphones at work? That's lack of discipline. The people do what they want because they know there's no sanction if they eff up.

I have to admit the OM had beautiful views and could have been a great place to stay, but the filth and the indifference to guests would make it a 'no go' for me. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna go on vacation and have to clean the room myself before I feel comfortable in it. Jeez.

I must be weird; I actually like the host's looks.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I read some reviews of the Ocean Manor, to see if things had improved, and unless this was filmed this week, they hadn't. Looks like there are problems that Anthony didn't touch on.
Does anyone when this show would have been filmed? I looked through over a year of reviews, in hopes of finding one from someone staying there while they were filming, but no luck.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:44 AM

I've never seen Anthony on anything else but he does look like Pit Bull

Mr. EB refers to this show as "Pitbull Fixes Your Hotel."

About twenty years ago, I read an interview with a guy who rates hotels for one of the big guidebooks. It was really interesting but confirmed my paranoia about germs in hotels. He said there were many ways he checked to see if the hotel staff was thorough about cleaning the rooms. He would do little things like partially unscrew light bulbs and turn the shades on the lamps to see if they fixed those things when they made up the rooms (to this day, I always check to see if the seam on the lampshades are facing out). Another thing he always did was sprinkle pepper into the carpet. Then after the maids cleaned the room, he vacuumed himself to see if there was any pepper left in the carpet. The best part was that he was so gleeful about his job. He really enjoyed what he did, even using a black light to check for, ahem, bodily fluids.

I wasn't really interested in watching Hotel Impossible because I thought it would be like Kitchen Nightmares and I have no desire to watch a host yell at people about their businesses. But after I read this interview, I decided to give him a try because I can appreciate a fellow germaphobe.

Unfortunately, this show just confirmed my worst germaphobe fears. Maids use the ONE towel to clean everything? I'm glad Melchiorri pointed out that it is FUCKING DISGUSTING to clean the toilet and then use the same towel for everything else. Talk about gross.

I also watched the Hotel New Yorker episode and was glad to see that very little time was spent on how to clean properly. It's a cute place so it was nice to see him give other (non-cleaning) advice.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:35 AM

I really like this show. I like how Anthony isn't as abrasive as Robert Irvine or Gordon Ramsay.

I had no idea how dangerously germy certain aspects of hotel rooms can be (like the phone). We're going on vacation in a few weeks (a Marriott). I think I'll bring some cleaning wipes with me :)

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

The phone and the remote control are usually pretty dirty, so hit those first! Duvets/comforters aren't washed as often as the sheets and used to be one of the big culprits for bodily fluids (the good old days of using black lights to find those stains) so Mr. EB won't even sit on them. Avoid the glasses in the bathroom unless they're sealed in plastic. If you really need a cup to brush your teeth, bring your own. Paper cups are cheap or you can buy a collapsible cup at the drugstore or camping store. I'm sure Pitbull Melchiorri would agree with me!

DeepRed

DeepRed

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

I'm not much of a germaphobe, but I've turned into one after watching this show. I can't get over the cleaning woman in Corpus Christi who was LAUGHING as he showed her how to clean a toilet. She doesn't know how to do that? Even at home?? What a pig.

I didn't think I'd like this show, but the host is growing on me. I like how he butters up the prickly staff, esp. the cleaners, as he instructs them. He saves his harshest words for owners and managers, as he should imo.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

If you think what you've seen on this show is bad, you don't know the half of it. There's much, much worse in the way of filth and poor practices going on in hotels around the country.

sweetlilvoice

sweetlilvoice

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

I'm enjoying this show, the host is cute and friendly. He's not obnoxious either. I've liked all the episodes I've seen, the most recent one in CA was amazing. It was a huge hotel with beautiful views. I liked how Anthony interviewed staff for the marketing job, although it was obvious the current employee would get it. Their roof deck was amazing.

The room makeovers have been great too, love Blanche the designer.

And I'm so glad she doesn't have to talk about how to re-do this would cost this much money but we only have a small amount and 2 days. That's a part of Restaurant Impossible that really annoys me.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

I liked the fact that the owner was aware of things, like the roof, and had tried to utilize it, but was hampered by regulations.
You'd have thought she would have picked up on the tile repair possibilities, but when he pointed it out, she did step up.

Tucson

Tucson

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

KN and RI really need to take a clue from this show and ditch the ridiculous drama. Anthony's more low key approach is so much easier on the ears than the yelling and screaming that Ramsey and Irvine seem to think is so neccessary. Has anyone watched Mystery Diners? It's similar to Restaurant Stakeout but again a more low key approach with no Donald Trump wannabe. I like Restaurant Impossible but ff through so much of it between the hysteria and Dr. Phil-ing, I'm left with about 15 minutes of watchable show.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

I found the Corpus Christi makeover very interesting. It was clear that particular property needed a LOT more than they could do as a part of the show. While the made-over rooms looked a whole lot cleaner and more habitable than before, the rooms still looked seriously dated.

Still, it was a real improvement.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

Holy crap, that hotel in Corpus Christi was seriously messed up! Please tell me that guy who called himself "Intergalactic Ninja *mumble mumble*" was trying to be funny!

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Thought the Southern Oaks in Branson was a good episode, and it seemed like the hotel wasn't so far down that there was a huge amount of work and money to fix it.
Loved the persimmon color she picked, and thought the rooms looked nice with the makeover.
I looked at their webpage, and most of the rooms still have those bedspreads.

psychoticstate

psychoticstate

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Thought the Southern Oaks in Branson was a good episode, and it seemed like the hotel wasn't so far down that there was a huge amount of work and money to fix it.

Agreed. It was nice to see a hotel that wasn't disgustingly dirty and with an owner with his or her head up his or her ass. It was realistic in a "getaway" town to be going under because of the competition and lack of web presence.

I also liked that Anthony pointed out that a basic room would do just fine - - not trying to be luxury. That indoor heated pool area was great, loved the multi-color chairs!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

There's a marathon playing today. My skin itches after watching the beginning of the Corpus Christi makeover.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

No wonder these places are in trouble. When the owner writes an ad, he mentions that the hotel is close to Cracker Barrel, not that it is across the street from the Grand Ole Opry. Jeesh.

Also, why don't these people understand the power of online advertising, a nice website, and the ability to make reservations online? It always seems like a surprise to them.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

I just saw the episode with the young couple that have a beautiful Inn in wine country but have no clue how to run it. How did they come up with the money to buy the place? Did they get and advice from anyone? They were just totally clueless about marketing, how to use their own web site or anything about running the spa.

Tucson

Tucson

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

The Newport Inn episode took cluelessness to a new level. He spends $20,000 on hot tubs but doesn't think about fixing the rust stained pool, falling apart ceiling, and rusted out pipes? Better yet was his decision to buy $100,000 worth of gym equipment instead of remodeling rooms, lobby, etc. The man was as dense as heavy fog. Once again Anthony kept his cool even though you could see steam coming out of his ears. But no RI or GR yelling and screaming which is so appreciated.