4-19: "Letters Of Transit" 2012.04.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

331 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

The Observers and the team engage in a battle in the year 2036.

The opening sequence was very Terminator-like.
That piece of brain they put back in Walter must have been the asshole lobe.
Henrietta? Cute.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

I don't even know what just happened. Why am I in tears? I am sobbing like a little baby. And then it just ended. What the hell? William Bell, you bastard, what did you do to Olivia?

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Q-U-A-K-E

William Bell - Oh, so close! I wonder if they thought about having his hand...LOL!

I agree with Yoko's comment about Walter's brain.

Dcbi

Dcbi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Huh?

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

I wasn't sure if Etta was Ella all grown up or Peter and Olivia's kid. But I really like that she was Henrietta.

Fantastic episode. Simon was pretty awesome; I wish he could have stayed. I really can't believe the Observers took over. I want more history on what happened. How was William Bell alive?

But next week looks like it has nothing to do with this episode. I mean, it looks good, but it's about DRJ, not the Observers...I'm confused.

Oh well, this is Fringe and I love it. Confusing previews and all.

riffola

riffola

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Henrietta, why of course! Good episode, I am kinda disappointed that we go back to the current era in the next episode. I would've loved to see the second half of this story arc. Such great acting by Joshua Jackson in that final scene.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I'm really not happy with this vision of the future (I like the Observers, dammit), and I'm also confused as to why they needed to show it to us now, and I really missed the team (though we did, at least, get several moments of Walter being adorable, and then the very sweet father-daughter moment at the end). That said, the way this show manages to drop us into a strange world and immediately make it make sense and make us care about the people in it is amazing. Henrietta was awesome, and, true to my love for Desmond Hume, I loved Simon. Henry Ian Cusick really needs a series built around him where he gets to be all noble and heroic and lovely every week.

Ageha

Ageha

Couch Potato

• Interests:Favorite shows (current): Fringe, Parkrs &amp; Recreation, Community, Haven, Downton Abbey, The League, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Castle, Modern Family, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Survivor, Psych, Warehouse 13, The Amazing Race, Leverage, Project Runway<br /><br />Favorite shows (past): The West Wing. Farscape, Friday Night Lights, Pushing Daisies, Life on Mars (UK &amp; US), Men in Trees, Life, etc.

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I don't even know what just happened. Why am I in tears? I am sobbing like a little baby. And then it just ended. What the hell? William Bell, you bastard, what did you do to Olivia?

Haha took the words right out of my mouth. So many things to say, but mostly it's a lot of this: "?!?!?!?!?!". Gawd, Etta and Peter at the end. More a bit later when I have my thoughts together a little more!

caws727

caws727

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Maybe they are trying to hint that DRJ is trying to stop the Observers w/ all his crazy Universe Collapsing experiments? Could DRJ actually be a "good guy"??

Oh, and when Simon was talking about having a girl in his bed, anyone else wanting him, so so badly, to say "Penny"?? Just me? ok....

Edited by caws727, Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I came on here to figure out what the heck happened with the ending, but seems everyone is confused. Do folks know if there's going to be a part 2 to this episode? I agree with Gotta Love It, the previews seem to take us back to our regular time period with no closure for this future one (so many unanswered questions, like what happened to Olivia?).

This episode just reiterated to me what a fantastic character Walter Bishop is (both created and acted). I enjoyed the episode, but I need more connections to our current story line. I feel lost and confused.

Edited by jenniferes, Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

And I just figured out (I think) that the necklace is a bullet. The bullet that killed Olivia? Also, Josh Jackson had about five lines and destroyed me. Still crying.

Edited by prodigalchicken, Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:12 PM.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Damn. Henry Ian Cusick, beautifully noble and desperate as always. Henrietta! ::sob:: As soon as we learned she could keep the Observers from, er, observing her thoughts, I guessed she was Olivia and Peter's ass-kicking offspring.

So if Belly was still alive at the time of the Great Amberizing, does this mean that this episode described yet another timeline?

Loved the new credits and their focus on human ideals and behavior more so than actual Fringe science.

The fringe concepts of this universe, requiring imagination even to suppose that they exist?

Edited by Sandman, Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:16 PM.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Is anyone keeping count of the versions or personalities of Walter we have seen now, assuming we count both the pre and post injection personalities. It's amazing that John Noble can make each one distinct, fascinating and true to the spirit of Walter.

Loved the new credits and their focus on human ideals and behavior more so than actual Fringe science.

GreekVenus

GreekVenus

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Sorry, but can someone help me. I must have missed several things. How do we know Henrietta is Olivia's daughter and not faux Olivia or any other version?

jkenney

jkenney

Loyal Viewer

What the hell was the point of that? It's very nice, I suppose, that Etta wasn't lying when she said Walter was her grandfather, but what does any of this have to do with anything? We spent most of the episode with characters we've never seen before and probably will never see again, and this version of the future seems to have no connection with anything that's been going on in the regular show for the whole season. What the hell?

cycat

cycat

Couch Potato

Henry Ian Cusick really needs a series built around him where he gets to be all noble and heroic and lovely every week

1000x this! I didn't realise how much I'd missed him.

I'm equal parts WTF/I love this show, this week. Not sure I'm keeping up completely, but I'm strapped in for the ride, no matter what.

Oh, and John Noble for King of the World. He's amazing.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Well, I don't really know what to make that. The Observers are apparently thinly disguised Nazis who didn't protect the environment well enough.

I probably would have recieved this one better if I wasn't in the grips of possible cancellation terror and really not appreciating random departure episodes that Olivia and Peter aren't really in.

Is there no future where Peter doesn't end up widowed? I liked finding out that Bell lived,even if he did nefarious things to Olivia.

Probably won't rewatch this one,but I'll forgive it because Walter was great as usual. These are not the droids you're looking for.

Edited by ParadoxLost, Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Oh man, I can totally see this as coming into play in season 5. Maybe it will be set in this future and maybe Olivia isn't dead. It didn't say she was dead, just said that William Bell did something to her. Maybe Peter and kick ass Etta can save her. This show has to go on, dammit!!

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Ok I liked the episode I just didn't get it.

GreekVenus

GreekVenus

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I agree John Noble should be Emmy filled, but Josh Jackson killed it tonight. Ahh, heck, this show should be Emmy-full!

pyralis

pyralis

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

LP I was just thinking that about John Noble - not only is he playing 47 different versions of Walter, but they're all immediately recognizable as different to the watcher. I love the movie references, particularly, "these aren't the droids you're looking for". Only Fringe can make me laugh in the midst of the tension.

Yes, the necklace had a pierced bullet on it. I'm assuming that Etta had the Occulumency ability because of Olivia and the cortexiphan.

Edited by pyralis, Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

How do we know Henrietta is Olivia's daughter and not faux Olivia or any other version?

The Observers are unable to 'read' her. This suggests she's the daughter of a cortexiphaned Olivia.

flight 19

flight 19

Channel Surfer

Starting to form a theory Walters brain parts were destroyed when the shape shifter took them to get to the alt universe, also William Bell implanted them in other people not store them at MD. Walter acting more like Walternate. September did say Olivia would have to die in all posible futures. I'll take my theory "based on the next weeks" to the spec thread.

Having Bell instead of Olivia was a bit of a surprise. All in all a very good episode.

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

How can the Observers possibly be from 2069? And what are they going to do - use up this time period and then go back farther?

Will Walter send Peter's consciousness back in time once again, as he did in an alternate timeline in 2026? Will we meet Simon and his parents in the present day? And what happened to the red universe in the future?

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I thought the Observers were from 2609, not 2069?

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

This episode was clearly meant to be a complete one-off: not directly connected to our ongoing S4 storyline in any way, but like a fragment of a future plotline displaced to the past (i.e., our present Season 4). Which is pretty weird, I suppose, and Fringey; and I continue to be amazed at how game the fans are to follow this adventurous way of laying things out.

But, it didn't feel like a well thought-out teaser episode to me... more like just a what-if sketch, a rough outline of a future direction which (sadly) the show is not likely to reach because it has only 16 episodes left at most. As someone who would like to see the Fringe mythology extend into eternity, I love the idea that that seed has been planted in the minds of fans. But, the episode was frustrating for me because it WAS just a sketch, and as such presented ideas that are just ideas.

I was kind of disappointed with the explanation of why the Observers took over... I was hoping it was more timey-wimey and connected to the ongoing mythology (for instance, needing to colonize the past and clean it up in order to preserve their own future). And what was the "unexpected" thing that happened to September? I mean, I love September. He's a good guy. I would like more explanation.

I liked the guest characters just fine. I felt less time could have been spent on Walter being crazy (I was disappointed that he wasn't feigning it; I thought he was doing it on purpose to avoid having his mind read) and more time spent on other details of life in 2036.

Loved Broyles sassing back to the head Observer and asking why he got such a shit assignment.

The Fringe team being "the lost team" and encasing themselves in amber - very heroic. Since it was so obvious that Etta was Peter and Olivia's child, though, I wasn't as moved by the final scene as I could have been.

It's hard to judge this as an episode because it's a setup for a show we may never get to see. It ought to spawn SHITLOADS of fanfic, however. Hoo boy. And maybe, just maybe, that was the intention. (Not fanfic per se, but to project the Fringe mythology into a future where the show cannot go, perhaps to other media.)

Grinling

Grinling

Loyal Viewer

So the Observers are secretly super evil fascists? I thought they were just neutral no-feeling time travelers! Obviously something apocalyptic is going to happen between now and the end of the season and Olivia is going to die ... again! But blue universe Henry will be a girl!

I liked it a lot. I'm looking forward to watching it again and picking up all the fine points. It was such fun. Walter was in top form. John Noble had a tour de force episode.

I can't imagine them taking this show off the air. Come on!

Edited by Grinling, Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:24 PM.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

I have a vague memory of Olivia diverting a bullet with her Cortexiphan abilities to save Peter. Am I totally making that up?

Sly Librarian

Sly Librarian

Video Archivist

That was... strange. I'm not sure I like the Observers as time-traveling fascists, especially not with such generic "they destroyed their world" background. The fact that they're all pasty bald men doesn't help, nor does the way they seem less competent at the whole dystopia thing than the Red universe.

Ageha

Ageha

Couch Potato

• Interests:Favorite shows (current): Fringe, Parkrs &amp; Recreation, Community, Haven, Downton Abbey, The League, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Castle, Modern Family, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Survivor, Psych, Warehouse 13, The Amazing Race, Leverage, Project Runway<br /><br />Favorite shows (past): The West Wing. Farscape, Friday Night Lights, Pushing Daisies, Life on Mars (UK &amp; US), Men in Trees, Life, etc.

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

How do we know Henrietta is Olivia's daughter and not faux Olivia or any other version?

Well, she called Peter "dad", so I assume her mother must be blue/amber Olivia.