7-19: "Of Grave Importance" 2012.04.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

70 replies to this topic

Pepperdine

Pepperdine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Yeah, this was a reasonable enough episode.

Enjoyed the creepy theme with the ghosts all waiting around to say 'boo!' to someone. This was the kind of gig the boys should've solved within minutes though. What happened to the last 20yrs hunting experience they're supposed to have..?

Got bored with the Bobby/Annie convo.

Again, the writers missed what could've been a poignant reunion, with Dean non plussed at Bobby's decision to become a ghost... Instead, the brothers looked slightly perturbed and of course Bobby was pissed off at the lack of gratitude Sam and Dean should have been showing him.

I know Bobby will now be an intergral part of the finale shenannigans - culminating in him being led into the light or poofing back into real life again. Great.

yimhappy

yimhappy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

Season six was surprisingly about Castiel and was very subtle til the end. Season seven seems to be (not nearly as subtlety) about Bobby.

Of all the characters, Bobby's had the only real storyline and has pretty much been the focus of this entire season.

Apologies in advance for the upcoming Harry Potter analogy. I'm glad the later HP books had Ron struggling to win at Quidditch. Harry continuously winning again might have seemed "show off" annoying, or at best boring "been there, won that".

I'm saying that I'm glad SPN is mining stories from the secondary characters. Yes, I'm sorry that Dean/Sam's stories sucked in comparison. But fans quickly forget that Dean/Sam did have substantial stories in S6. If fans didn't like D/S's stories in S6/S7, well, I don't blame the secondary characters for those writing misses. Also, I think that it's over-generalizing to say that S6/S7 season were all about secondary characters.

I agree that Bobby insta-fixed too much. But, I want Bobby to stay. Why can't SPN fix the problems with Bobby's character without killing him?? I'm glad Bobby is limited as a ghost now. SPN has too few regular characters as it is. With Bobby, Sam/Dean can be put into new situations. Without Bobby, the other choice is characters like Annie, with all this offscreen history we've never seen. Also, I don't want to invest in new characters who'll probably die. Finally Bobby's whining & speeches have been some of SPN's best dialog, imo.

Once upon a time, SPN was realistic and fairly unforgiving in showing the consequences of bad decisions. The fact that we could empathize with the person who made the mistake didn't stop the fallout. That unsentimental approach kept the show grounded and relatable to the audience.

Oy vey! Touche, so true.
On the other hand, I wasn't interested in SPN before they first broke this rule with "Lazarus Rising".
To me, SPN was so resonant because in real life, sometimes we fall into the blackest pit with no save. But on the flip-side is the hopeful real life truth that life doesn't really end because we felt like it did. Yes, the worst can happen, but we can survive it, plus we still have the power choose a new ending.

So I'm saying that breaking the rule is worthwhile if the pay off is good enough. But, "Lazarus Rising" wouldn't have felt profound without SPN's previous unsentimental approach. So I was about to say, "don't break the rules except for something powerful", but now I'm wondering if EK even had a clue that he was writing an episode that fans would interpret as profound.

Jeez, I fell in love with SPN because of some accidental by-product. FML. SPN is just trying to write monster stories that are sometimes about family, and here I am giving SPN credit for profound themes. Hell, I was even wondering if SPN actually meant to tell us something about family using Bobby's "family love beyond the grave". Ugh, got to quit.

femalecobbler

femalecobbler

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

But fans quickly forget that Dean/Sam did have substantial stories in S6.

I remember Sam's substantial souless story which sucked up 3/4 of the season, but if you mean the measly Lisa/Ben story for Dean, I beg to differ, that wasn't substantial, and certainly to no degree that Bobby has been propped and promoted this season.

Nobody is blaming the secondary characters but the creators who can't think of a single story for one of its leads but has no problem thinking one for Bobby the deus ex machina who won't die.

Finally Bobby's whining & speeches have been some of SPN's best dialog, imo.

Miles do vary, but Bobby's whining and hypocritical speeches are far from endearing. Grating is more like it for me.

The show had better characters it could have used besides Bobby. Rufus, Ellen, heck even Jo are much better characters than Bobby, but apparently, a strong woman like Ellen isn't allowed to become a ghost and come back, but a tired and annoying character like Bobby not only comes back, but is given a whole season.

Supernatural has lost its footing. If the leads have become mere guest stars in the show while the guest stars have become leads, maybe the show should just get rid of the leads and start again. It looks like that right now so next season we'll see Bobby lead, then Sam, then Cas and Dean will drive the car, as usual.

cynnie

cynnie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

I really enjoyed the episode.
Only two complaints:
1) The Winchesters are smart enough to look for hidden rooms. But I suppose we have to allow for that type of fumble to get a storyline plot. I mean if the boys just completed a hunt with the snap of their fingers we wouldn't get an episode!
2) Annie's personality reminded me a lot of Ellen.

Loved how Dean wasn't just all accepting of Bobby being a ghost, where as Sam seemed more sympathetic to the situation. That's classic Dean/Sam.

Demian

Demian

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

2) Annie's personality reminded me a lot of Ellen.

Heh. Annie's everything reminded me a lot of Ellen.

ardentshine

ardentshine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Heh. Annie's everything reminded me a lot of Ellen.

I hope Ellen wouldn't have gone into that house without some weaponry, though.

Blackmantra53

Blackmantra53

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Ellen would have barked out orders and every single entity in that house would have immediately stood to attention. She was an undeniable force of nature.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

A decent episode, if we're grading on a curve for this season.

Oddly, my main objection to the ep, aside from hypocritical, whiney and bitchy Bobby, was the whole "new character but main characters have history with her and act like she's been around a long time, even though she's never been mentioned before and the Winchesters have said all our friends are dead" thing. I think it's because it would have been so easy to account for it, with a line or two of dialogue, like: "Holy crap, Annie! It's great to hear from you. We thought the demons/angels/alphas/whatever had got you." "Nah, Dean/Sam, but they almost did, and I've had to spend a while off the grid recovering from the damage. But I'm back in the game now, and need a little help with a hunt...."

I'm hoping that Bobby's bitchyness is hinting at the beginning of Bobby goes all angry ghost and has to be destroyed, but I think it's more likely that the writers think his constant crotchityness is just adorable.

cynnie

cynnie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

I'm still wondering how Annie got Dean's new off the grid cell phone number.

yimhappy

yimhappy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

I'm still wondering how Annie got Dean's new off the grid cell phone number.

Hee hee hee. I love playing "spot the plot hole". So many forums have a thread for it.

Maybe Dean set his old number to forward to his new number??

Of course, the Leviathan's should have been able to possess the right people to trace all those calls, ala "The Wire". But there are ways around it. It'd take me a few hours to research.

Damn, wouldn't it have been cool if SPN had mentioned how cool the Winchesters were at circumventing canny adversaries attempts to trace their calls?? I guess SPN's research budget got slashed, or diverted elsewhere.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

I really enjoyed this episode, it hit the right emotional chords. I liked Annie, I recognized the actress from Just The Ten of Us, but at first I thought she was Bobby's Sheriff and she did remind me a lot of Ellen.

I was torn up at the end, in a good way, I thought the angst was appropriate. I worried that Dean was going to burn the flask against Bobby's wishes b/c Dean knew it was the right thing to do. On the other hand Bobby sticking around didn't bother me b/c it wasn't a Happily Ever After ending, it was chock full of tragedy/sorry and foreshadowing. I believe that in the end Bobby will move on, most likely after he gank's Dick Roman and I have no problem with that.

The one surprising bit of emotional reaction (for me) came from Dean mentioning Bobby being in Heaven, drinking at Harville's. I have no doubt in my mind that that's the final ending Dean hopes to get for himself, drinking with Ash, Jo, Ellen, Pam, Bobby and maybe even Daddy Winchester.