8-21: "Angry Andy" 2012.04.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

54 replies to this topic

CWBorne

CWBorne

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

I have nothing against Catherine Tate, but the character of Nellie just doesn't work. She's shown nothing of the endearing qualities that Michael (and even Andy) had, she feels remarkably shoe-horned in, and the even her being an antagonist of sorts fails because the show can't decide if the Office staff likes her or not. When they brought in Charles Minor years ago it worked because it made sense for that kind of character to finally come and reign in the excesses of the Scranton branch, and his interactions with the staff made for some funny stuff because he was different. This is just the writers have her do shtick and expecting the audience to laugh just because.

In terms of boss figures, Nellie is neither as humorously douchey as Ryan, sympathetic as Andy, contrasting as Charles, or as interesting as Michael. At best she's a poor man's David Brent and having already seen the real thing, she doesn't compare.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

Finally Andy gets the boot! Finally!!! Good riddance Ed Helms. Casting such a stale, linear character into the central role of office manager was a mistake. Before this season, Andy was only use in occasion and I still find him funny by circumstance; however, he just doesn't fit the manager role at all.

I do find that the transition to Nelly was done rather clumsily, however. There were so many grounds to terminate Andy. He had taken a weeks long unapproved vacation and he went on a wild tantrum. Of the good reasons, they had to choose him saying "no" to Nelly and Robert California. What a horrible way to let him go.

I think Nelly will make a great manager. She has the right amount of polarity and insanity to be the driving force behind the Office. She has the wild character. Even if some don't like her now, she has what it takes to make an uneventful season interesting. And even if she fails? Well, it's better than being stuck with Ed Helms for another season.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

I despise Ryan, but I thought Pam would still be pals with him from Michael Scott Paper Company.

Mr Pants

Mr Pants

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

I'd much rather have Ed Helms than Nellie, who I find grating and horrible (and not in an entertaining way), but of course that's just my opinion. She might grow as a character, but the clumsy way she's being pushed into the show is not helping any. I picture the writers sitting around saying, "Nellie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Also, whenever Nellie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's Nellie'?"

plasticfish

plasticfish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

The failing "humor" made me so uncomfortable! I think Mindy K and the other writers are telling themselves that we the viewers aren't sophisticated enough to get Nellie's "Edgy" humor. WRONG. THe show is simply no longer funny. So sad.

GoodApprentice

GoodApprentice

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

The show seriously needs to start taking its medication to help tone down its erratic behavior. The characters and storylines need some semblance of consistency in order for its humour to work properly. I don't know if there are too many cooks (writers) in the kitchen or if the presence of Steve Carell behind the scenes was what previously kept the show focussed, but right now, The Office is in chaotic freefall. I no longer understand most of the characters or their motivations. They seem to change from episode to episode. As a result, most of the successful humour comes from the minor characters who are still more or less intact. Creed and Toby still throw out decent one-liners. Kevin manages to pull off a sight gag. Phyllis' predictability generates a classic office betting event.

Contrast the opening of the show with the main storyline. The predictable nature of the employees (Phyllis) mixed with the boredom of the other employees generates classic Office humour when everyone is forced the amuse themselves by trying to get Phyllis to verbalize her rainy-day cliches. The humour and characterizations stay true to the themes of the show, and it works.

In contrast, the body of the episode involves the main characters (Robert, Nelly, Erin, Jim and Andy) being loud, emotional and completely contrary to their natures. Andy, especially, was 12 shades of strange. His romantic obsession with Erin from the last few episodes was nowhere to be seen, and he seems to have reverted back to asshole Andy from years past. When he punched the wall years ago (a result of Jim's boredom joking), it was effective because it crossed the line emotionally. The entire office stopped working and stared open-mouthed at this alien display. In last night's episode, the wall punch was just part of a long stretch of craziness and shouting from erratic characters in an office lacking defined rules. As a result of this lack of context, the hole punched in the wall had no emotional effect.

This show needs to figure out who they want their characters to be and stick with that. If the viewers don't understand the nature of the characters or the rules that govern the office then the humour will continue to stink.

Edited by GoodApprentice, Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:09 PM.

snowball

snowball

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

I quit watching a couple of seasons ago and for some reason, watched it last night. Ugh. Just not good. Nellie got on my last nerve, and really, the only people that were at all interesting or funny to me were the "second liners" - Phyllis, Toby, etc.

I realized last night that this show has become all about who's going to hook up in the office next. There are very few workers in the office that haven't dated/slept with/crushed on a co-worker, and that just seems like cheap, lazy writing - and I expected better out of this show at one time. It's a little too soap-operaish.

SpencersMommy

SpencersMommy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

That was amazingly painful and unfortunate. No wonder James Spader is leaving the show and how sad that they didn't better develop the Robert California character we met last spring.

Nellie is horrid. I know nothing of Catherine Tate but her Office character is a nightmare. It doesn't help that she was my LEAST favorite possible from the interviews last year.

And what's with the cheap limp weenie jokes? Never had to turn the show off because it was so inappropriate to watch with my son but last night just went on and on and on... If I wanted to hear immature attempts as sex jokes, I'd hang out with my kid and his middle school friends!

sky dog

sky dog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

It's only natural for a show to change over the years, but it really has gotten to the point where the only resemblance to the first season is the actors themselves. Three-fourths of this episode could have taken place in any sitcom because so little of it actually related to the workplace environment. If I ever show up to a meeting and the word IMPOTENCE is staring me in the face from a dry erase board, I'm definitely considering a change of employment. Last week we're supposed to empathize with Nellie and this week she's a typical villain again.

I guess they've run out of office-related humor since so much of the show is centered on romantic relationships. In this episode alone we got Kelly and Ryan, Erin and Andy and Gabe, Jim and Pam, and even a hint of Robert and Nellie... Dunder-Mifflin isn't an office anymore, it's a dating service.

The humor is so broad and almost slapstick at times that I expect a laugh track. The Office built its reputation on more subtle humor like Michael Scott's malapropisms and endearingly oblivious talking head comments, but now the episodes revolve around dick jokes and punching walls. They're really resting on their laurels. For a show that used to be consistently great, so many new episodes are hit or miss and there are more misses than hits.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

I guess they've run out of office-related humor since so much of the show is centered on romantic relationships. In this episode alone we got Kelly and Ryan, Erin and Andy and Gabe, Jim and Pam, and even a hint of Robert and Nellie... Dunder-Mifflin isn't an office anymore, it's a dating service.

THIS!!! I am so sick of it. It's okay to have a little of that stuff in the background, because that's a realistic complicating factor in offices. But at this point they could set the show in a dorm room or a bar and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference.

Brandi Maxxxx

Brandi Maxxxx

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:44 AM

I picture the writers sitting around saying, "Nellie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Does the TARDIS count?

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I can't get too worked up over this. Nellie doesn't deserve the job, but neither does Andy. He was a horrible salesman, so him being fired is actually no loss for company - that differs him from Michael and Dwight. And he just left his job without proper explanation or finding replacement or even calling back to office to see how things are. The only reason he's a manager is that his pals from office like him. And even for them he was second choice. After his bizarre psycho scene, it's suprising he and receptionist-who-weren't weren't fired right away. Why keep him around? He's not responsible and not a good salesman.

It does make almost entire season with all plots revolving around "Andy has doubts but is actually good manager" completely pointless.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

"Well, to be fair, the writers could be
Spoiler

Edited by Submarine, Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:28 PM.

canucktvwatcher

canucktvwatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

Just watched this ep and wanted to see what the reaction here was. It seems everyone is on the same page! This show needed to end when Steve Carrel left. It would have been so much more poignant of an ending.

I laughed when Andy and Erin went ballistic on Nellie, but could not believe the end result. Nellie over Andy? Granted, they're both social misfits, but it was just so....illogical.

I am happy to hear James Spader is leaving the show. He has brought NOTHING to the table, and his character has been an epic fail. It's clear that the character of Robert is a bluffer, and a sort of poke at Corporate America (bringing in people that think outside the box, blah, blah), and he loves for people to think he is smart, but the show has stagnated since his arrival. When he appeared, I thought it would be the opposite. The writers have wasted him, and kept him on for waaaaayyy too long.

The bit with Kelly and Ryan was funny, and served to show how messed up their relationship is. It was the sole funny point of the show.

Phyllis I can't stand, but the cliche bingo was good bit.

Oscar, Creed, and Kevin are the current backbone of the show, IMO. They are so much funnier than the "top line" players (Jim, Pam, et al). Jim mugs at the camera, Pam is boring, Angela is also boring.

As much as I used to like this show, I hope this is the final season. Please end the show with a shred of dignity!

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

This could have been redeemed if Andy and Erin's defiance led to a general office revolution and ousting of Nellie.

i put up with all the ED stuff because I was waiting some classic Office comeuppance. Sigh.

I did like the Ryan/Kelly subplot, partially because the main plot was so bad anything would look good in comparison.

brasca

brasca

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

In addition to just how unbelievable this series has gotten I'm also tired of the constant introducing of corporate people who only have the veneer of competence and sanity. With the exception of David Wallace and Charles Minor everyone at Dunder Mifflin and Saber turn out this way. The difference with Nellie is you know she's a flake within seconds of meeting her.

My other problem is plot developments conveniently disappearing. Seeing as how last week the office disliked Nellie so much they wanted to throw her a crappy party I don't see why more people didn't rally around Andy. At the very least we should've gotten an explanation like Angela got some favor for listening only to Nellie and not Andy. I expect Dwight to suck up to the boss, but also wouldn't put it past him to be figure out a way to dethrone her so he can have the manager job.

7LeafClover

7LeafClover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

I'm just hoping the Scranton branch gets shut down. With so much instability and BS, how can they be turning profit?

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

At the very least we should've gotten an explanation like Angela got some favor for listening only to Nellie and not Andy.

I actually wondered if Angela finally, finally was paying Andy back for his season three betrayal of Dwight. I'm sure it was just a coincidence, though.

OmahaMtLion

OmahaMtLion

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

You'd think agreeing to marry Andy, allowing him to commit maybe tens of thousands of dollars in nonrefundable deposits on wedding deposits, cheating on him with Dwight, humiliating him with the staff (and, one assumes, his friends and family) and then blowing his ring on a fancy cat would have been revenge enough.

The simpler answer is that the showrunners are just doing whatever random stuff they think is funny in the moment without regard to consistency. That stunt of arbitrarily docking Andy's pay hundreds of dollars would seem to be something that would cause a revolt among the staff who at least care about getting paid even if they can't even be bothered to care about Andy. It made no kind of sense that there wasn't plotting against Nellie following that move.

marie caroline

marie caroline

Couch Potato

• Interests:Brit soaps, reality shows,miniseries, reading biographies, mysteries and classic fiction, walking and people watching, particularly in NYC.

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

I think Nelly will make a great manager. She has the right amount of polarity and insanity to be the driving force behind the Office. She has the wild character. Even if some don't like her now, she has what it takes to make an uneventful season interesting. And even if she fails? Well, it's better than being stuck with Ed Helms for another season.

ICAM! I have found Ed Helms to be so boring as the manager. Unfortunately, he probably will be back, although I hope NOT as manager. I love the character of Nelly as played by Catherine Tate. For the time that she joined the show, I actually have been looking forward to seeing the show again each week.

Robert can leave anytime and I won't miss him. He has been a disaster as far as I am concerned. I have found most of the season to be disappointing, until Nelly was introduced. I was hoping last season that she would be the replacement for Michael as the office manager.

Westy8283

Westy8283

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:56 AM

This episode was so stupid and out of place that I turned it off 15 minutes in and then deleted it. The Office is like SNL now ... overall lots of dreck but here and there a funny joke, with a few characters I still like. That's the only reason I come back. And that is rapidly eroding as well.

ConstableClyde

ConstableClyde

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

The whole Nellie thing is really starting to piss me off. I'm not a fan of the character what so ever nor the logic behind her just taking his job.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

RObert California is an ass. I mean, he is worse than Michael. At least Michael had company loyalty and his heart always in the right place

Robert California is a manipulator that cares nothing about his employees. He treats them like his little minions and toys with them for his amusement. He plays mind games with them and undermines every one of them every chance he gets. This episode was the latest. You let someone walk in the office and take over the job of office manager, then fires the person that objects to it

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

I think Nelly will make a great manager. She has the right amount of polarity and insanity to be the driving force behind the Office. She has the wild character. Even if some don't like her now, she has what it takes to make an uneventful season interesting.

I'm in that camp, too. Plus, as a straight guy, I found her seduction of Robert California (unconsummated as it may have been) highly convincing. By convincing, I don't mean "I buy that Robert California would let her have the job based on that," I mean, "Damn, that woman can be seductive!" I like that Nellie has this ability, and even more, I like that Catherine Tate is a good enough actress to make it work.

Edited by Milburn Stone, May 4, 2012 @ 7:23 AM.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

If someone told me that a 10 year old wrote this episode, I would not believe it. No one over the age of 7 could have written this crap.