Some quick comments about this episode before the next one airs:
- Elena's behaviour in the motel room scene baffled me a little at first because a) it's not like she hasn't seen Damon prancing about in various states of undress before b) occupying the same bed isn't exactly a completely new thing either, and this time there was even Jeremy
sleeping in the same room. In general they have been in more intimate settings together.
But then when I thought about it... a) She really hasn't, actually. We
have, but she hasn't. And those few times she has, she has pretty much made an emphasized effort to look away. b) It's not really the setting or even his abs that really affect her, it's the idea that she can
allow herself to ogle and maybe try out/act on her feelings and it scares and excites her. It's pretty great, really.
- Furthermore, what is great about the scene is how Damon is just so guileless and chill about everything the whole time. He doesn't have any of his Eternal Stud and Snarky Asshole masks on, he's just... Damon. In fact the moment he realizes Elena is staring he has one of my favourite Damon expressions ever. I don't even know how to describe it. He has it sometimes, very rarely though, and it kind of makes him seem very old (in a good way) and wise
somehow. And like he maybe knows something is up but decides not to push it (he has that later too when he asks "Why not?").
And then he just carefully lays down next to her and waits for her to say what she wants to say, and even after he maybe susses out that she might be receptive to his advances - he only wants to hold her hand (yes, I really believe he just wanted to hold her hand and go to sleep). And that
is probably what makes it too much for poor Elena. Had he been all "*crazy eyes* *smirk* How you
doin'?" it would have been easy for her to roll her eyes, roll over and go to sleep.
- This probably means I've watched one or two too many fanvids (this fandom really has talented and industrious vidders, they're even responsible for me now being okay with being beaten over the head with Florence + the Machine) but... Several great little acting/direction things I noticed and really appreciate:
1) Elena had a chance to back off from the makeout, but after a moment of looking at each other, she
just goes in for more.
2) Her flustered, giddy little grin and subsequent little frown after Jeremy catches them. So great.
3) After Kol's beatdown when they're checking each other's injuries and he's more worried about her little scratch than himself there's this little moment when her eyes are full of love and she briefly closes her eyes and happily leans into his touch before she remembers to feel conflicted. So heartbreakingly realistic
. Like once you've allowed yourself to express your feelings, that tends to come naturally whether your logical mind really thinks it's a good idea or not. (Also, I wonder whether that doubt was brought forth by Kol, as Damon's latest "lashing out" involved Kol. Of course she probably doesn't know Damon saved Matt's life by doing that.)
Also, is it just me or do the Original Brothers make a habit of calling their male victims with terms of endearment. Kol's "darling" totally reminded me of Elijah calling that one cowering member of Jules's pack "sweetheart". :D
4) Okay, a non Damon/Elena related thing: Rebekah's expression when Matt drives away. At first it looked a bit like "I'm onto you, you treacherous bastard" but then it melts into a little hopeful, giddy smile. And it breaks my heart. And then she gets fooled by her crazy mama. Poor Beks.
5) I have no idea if it's intentional that Stefan reacted to Evilaric like he recognized him (her?). Is he possessed by Emily or Jonathan Gilbert or something after all? Also EstheRebekah kind of acted like she knew who she was talking to.
Edited by BloodyCharity, Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:12 PM.