3-19: "Heart of Darkness" 2012.04.19 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

126 replies to this topic

MustBeThursday

MustBeThursday

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

I'm not surprised at all Tyler's reacting the way he did. He left because he almost killed Caroline and he was trying to figure out a way to break the sire bond. He knows that Klaus is a bad person and has done horrible things and he's fighting against his nature (sire bond) to keep himself from being their enemy instead of their friend. So he comes back to see that his girlfriend is keeping a picture this evil bastard drew for her next to her BED? I think that's grounds for being kind of pissed off. He didn't have the right to expect her not to move on if he's off on a spirit quest, but I think it's legit to be uncomfortable she's taking intimate drawings/gifts from the dude who MURDERED HIM (and Jenna and technically Elena) and turned him into a vampire. He probably should've listened to Caroline and let her explain, but I don't blame him for getting emotional and creeped out and reacting poorly. He's still a teenager and under a lot of stress and fear and I don't know, I feel like he should be given a little slack.

Also let's say Jeremy has gotten over Damon killing him. That still doesn't mean he has to like him dating Elena. He can be worried for his sister's safety and sanity with a guy he perceives as not stable. Hell he can be worried that both of the Salvatores are bad for her. He can't control who Elena dates of course, but I would seriously like to think a sibling of mine would speak their thoughts if they're worried about who I'm dating. They can have an opinion.

Cindy LOVE the weecap, I also really like how you pointed out that Elena clearly has feelings and it's okay to have feelings and still be hesitant to act on them. I feel like the episode didn't really represent that part, you know? Like someone saying to her: Elena, you clearly have the hots for him, you feel something, and that's okay, but having feelings for someone doesn't mean you HAVE to date them. I wish just one character would say it! She did say that she was worried he'd flip out at a bump in the road (like murder her brother for instance), but she could use some reassurance from another person (such as Ric which you pointed out) saying this is reasonable.

Edited by MustBeThursday, Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:01 AM.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

I just wanted to mention that the conversation with Tyler and Caroline about Damon not caring. I took Caroline at her word because the writers leave so much off screen

It's what was on screen that bothered me about that. Caroline say "they" are going to kill Klaus and "they" know he sired (and Cindy McLennan is so right that the writers have just started using "sired" and "turned" interchangeably, which messes with their own cannon!) Tyler and killing him will kill Tyler, but only Damon doesn't care. Which I think was just a way to segue into shirtless Damon, but still, if "they" know the consequences and are going along and actively pursuing killing Klaus, it's really not just Damon who doesn't care.

Edited by Munchiewoman, Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:40 PM.

babybluez

babybluez

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

To be fair, in Tyler and Caro's last scene in her bedroom Tyler specifically says something along the lines of "and what if Klaus didn't create Damon and Stefan's line and they try to kill him?", so he at least is worried that both Salvatores will want Klaus dead. Caro also mentioned "they" a few times when she initially told Tyler about the blood link thing. I think the "Damon doesn't care" bit was just a way to make it more dramatic.

BloodyCharity

BloodyCharity

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

Some quick comments about this episode before the next one airs:

- Elena's behaviour in the motel room scene baffled me a little at first because a) it's not like she hasn't seen Damon prancing about in various states of undress before b) occupying the same bed isn't exactly a completely new thing either, and this time there was even Jeremy sleeping in the same room. In general they have been in more intimate settings together.
But then when I thought about it... a) She really hasn't, actually. We have, but she hasn't. And those few times she has, she has pretty much made an emphasized effort to look away. b) It's not really the setting or even his abs that really affect her, it's the idea that she can allow herself to ogle and maybe try out/act on her feelings and it scares and excites her. It's pretty great, really.

- Furthermore, what is great about the scene is how Damon is just so guileless and chill about everything the whole time. He doesn't have any of his Eternal Stud and Snarky Asshole masks on, he's just... Damon. In fact the moment he realizes Elena is staring he has one of my favourite Damon expressions ever. I don't even know how to describe it. He has it sometimes, very rarely though, and it kind of makes him seem very old (in a good way) and wise somehow. And like he maybe knows something is up but decides not to push it (he has that later too when he asks "Why not?").
And then he just carefully lays down next to her and waits for her to say what she wants to say, and even after he maybe susses out that she might be receptive to his advances - he only wants to hold her hand (yes, I really believe he just wanted to hold her hand and go to sleep). And that is probably what makes it too much for poor Elena. Had he been all "*crazy eyes* *smirk* How you doin'?" it would have been easy for her to roll her eyes, roll over and go to sleep.

- This probably means I've watched one or two too many fanvids (this fandom really has talented and industrious vidders, they're even responsible for me now being okay with being beaten over the head with Florence + the Machine) but... Several great little acting/direction things I noticed and really appreciate:

1) Elena had a chance to back off from the makeout, but after a moment of looking at each other, she just goes in for more.
2) Her flustered, giddy little grin and subsequent little frown after Jeremy catches them. So great.
3) After Kol's beatdown when they're checking each other's injuries and he's more worried about her little scratch than himself there's this little moment when her eyes are full of love and she briefly closes her eyes and happily leans into his touch before she remembers to feel conflicted. So heartbreakingly realistic. Like once you've allowed yourself to express your feelings, that tends to come naturally whether your logical mind really thinks it's a good idea or not. (Also, I wonder whether that doubt was brought forth by Kol, as Damon's latest "lashing out" involved Kol. Of course she probably doesn't know Damon saved Matt's life by doing that.)
Also, is it just me or do the Original Brothers make a habit of calling their male victims with terms of endearment. Kol's "darling" totally reminded me of Elijah calling that one cowering member of Jules's pack "sweetheart". :D
4) Okay, a non Damon/Elena related thing: Rebekah's expression when Matt drives away. At first it looked a bit like "I'm onto you, you treacherous bastard" but then it melts into a little hopeful, giddy smile. And it breaks my heart. And then she gets fooled by her crazy mama. Poor Beks.
5) I have no idea if it's intentional that Stefan reacted to Evilaric like he recognized him (her?). Is he possessed by Emily or Jonathan Gilbert or something after all? Also EstheRebekah kind of acted like she knew who she was talking to.

Edited by BloodyCharity, Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:12 PM.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

And then he just carefully lays down next to her and waits for her to say what she wants to say, and even after he maybe susses out that she might be receptive to his advances - he only wants to hold her hand (yes, I really believe he just wanted to hold her hand and go to sleep). And that is probably what makes it too much for poor Elena.

Awww. I love this.

I have no idea if it's intentional that Stefan reacted to Evilaric like he recognized him (her?). Is he possessed by Emily or Jonathan Gilbert or something after all?

There was something earlier in the season like that as well, right? I wonder if it is intentional.

StareDecisis

StareDecisis

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

So I just watched this ep and I'm a few behind but I keep thinking...why don't they just dagger the remaining originals and throw their coffins into the ocean or something? Or shit, trap them in the Vamp Vault ™?

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

So I just watched this ep and I'm a few behind but I keep thinking...why don't they just dagger the remaining originals and throw their coffins into the ocean or something? Or shit, trap them in the Vamp Vault ?

They lost the only dagger they had when they daggered Kol and Klaus grabbed it out of him.