1-17: "Doubt" 2012.04.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

94 replies to this topic

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Daniel's imprisonment sends Victoria to depths that no one thought possible, as the surprise return of a past love (James Purefoy as Dominik Wright) provides a destructive but welcome distraction from her family's struggles. Meanwhile, Jack's search for Amanda grows more desperate as he comes under suspicion for murder.

Revenge is back, baby!

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

I'll be honest, the Victoria and James Purefoy scenes did nothing for me. They were just odd and took me out of the story. I wanted to get back to the Hamptons.

I enjoyed the Mason Treadwell scenes.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Not only is Revenge back, but Emanda is back kicking a$$ - literally.

Declan is a completely different character since the beginning of the season.

And yes, the whole painter storyline was kinda wack...

Edited by djsunyc, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:06 PM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I enjoyed the Mason Treadwell scenes.

Treadwell better watch his back because Victoria will come undone if she feels like Daniel has no escape from being found guilty. She will be on the war path to destroy anyone and everyone who she perceives as getting in her way.

I did like Treadwell feeling more empowered against her though. I hope he finds some way to get the truth out to the public about the Graysons before Vic has her henchmen pummel his face.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Wow, that was great. This show is fast but the writing and characterization never suffer for it and that's a talent that's rarely seen. Mason's redemption arc was well done and I cheered that "well worth the price of my soul" comment indeed. So Emanda does love those who love her just in an extremely disturbed manner. I'm reminded by Tommy's euology on True Blood "He never learned to love without hurting people" it definitely describes Emanda. I love that this wasn't screamed at the viewer, here she's protecting Dainel, here she's protecting Jack, and here she's protecting Amily and trusts the viewer to see it. Also I loved that Declan and Charlotte are starting to get their hands dirty and Mason's little warning to Charlotte about not having to continue her familiy's legacy. Well Victoria and Declan just ended that possiblity, and I'm interested to see where it goes. Also the ever watchful Nolan realizing that Declan sold out Charlotte to help Jack and trying to give him a pep talk to cheer him up. As for Victoria's new love interest, he was good. The sins of her past are catching up to the one thing she loves the most, Daniel, and she just needs the relief. She's always been willing to sell her soul for him.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

I know I'm not a scheming revenge genius, but I really didn't understand why Emanda beat the crap out of her informant. He was helping her, and it sounded when they left the bar like he had more information to offer. Was that just her losing control of herself?

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Also Emanda wasn't that well disguised. If the henchman is following the trial on TV he might well recognize her as Daniel's fiancee.

Victoria certainly ruins all the guys who fall madly in love with her. Conrad, on the other hand, just keeps on truckin'

I love Mason hitting skid row (Hamptons style) via wine coolers! Also loved Emanda's infinity earrings.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

So happy Revenge is back!

Emanda beat up that guy because her whole reason for being is REVENGE! She had to give him payback. It was either a beatdown or long drawn out payback, and the beatdown was the more enjoyable option.

Declan is becoming, gasp, more likable. Daniel is still so so pretty. And Nolan is as delightful as ever.

quarks

quarks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Oh, show. Do not make me LIKE Declan. I beg you. I was so comfortable in my "eh" about him.

Oh, Charlotte. The lesson we have learned here is that taking drugs will keep people from trusting and believing you, not "take more of them."

Oh, Daniel. You are still boring.

Oh, Jack. You are still....look, dude. I realize that chasing potential murderers can be fun and all that, but you do remember you only dated this girl for a few months, and also that just perhaps she hasn't contacted you because, well, she doesn't want to contact you? (Yes, I know that we viewers know otherwise, but Jack doesn't.)

Oh, James Purefoy. I don't know what you were doing in the show but I'm glad you removed so many articles of clothing to be in it. (Aside: I am beginning to believe that Purefoy demands at least partial nekkidity in his contract.)

Oh, Ashley. That was very very nice of you to step back and let someone else take credit for media manipulation. When exactly did you study webpage design again?

Oh, Emanda. Didn't we just have a talk about not getting emotionally involved? But I can't really hate you for kicking the guy.

Oh, Conrad. Simple solution there: point out to Victoria that the family is in enough trouble and under enough media attention as it is without adding in affairs with deadbeat artists who can't finish their paintings.

Oh, Mason Treadwell. I thought you sucked. I still think you suck. The arson on your house made me flinch, I admit, but I also kinda thought you deserved it. But you went a long way down your redemptive path tonight.

Oh, Victoria. You RULE IN EVILNESS. Failure to notice that your daughter is taking drugs? Evil. Deciding to blame an innocent party and (presumably) bribing a sketch artist? Yikes. Failing to realize that the two people who could have supplied a description to the sketch artist were not going to go along with it? Surprising failure on your part. (Seriously -- why would she think that even Declan would look at a sketch of his brother and go, oh, yeah, that's the guy I saw, instead of denying it, as Declan did? Oh, right. This is Declan. But still.)

But getting your own son beaten up so that he can rest in a luxury mansion while under suspicion of murder? Even for you, wow.

quarks

quarks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

[edited] Whoops, double post. Sorry about that, everyone!

Edited by quarks, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:37 PM.

80sBaby

80sBaby

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

I think Emanda found the painter from researching Victoria's past. His just happening to be there didn't fly with me.

I thought she played her cards to much when she announced in front of everyone she saw Charlotte with pills. That should have been told to Daniel in private as the loving fiance not wanting to out her future sis-in-law.

sweetpd7

sweetpd7

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

But getting your own son beaten up so that he can rest in a luxury mansion while under suspicion of murder? Even for you, wow.

When Daniel's list of injuries listed "concusion" I was thinking what if he had ended up in a coma. He was so severely beaten he could have died. Arguably, bad things could have happened at Rikers if Daniel stayed. But still, way to go, Mom! Victoria will never qualify for Mother of the Year after her treatment of Charlotte and Daniel.

I felt for Declan. He chose his brother over Charlotte. She must have known his motivations, but having your boyfriend discredit you as a witness and reveal ugly things about you is quite the relationship crusher.

I don't get why the old boyfriend suddenly surfaced. Since Daniel means all to Victoria, it's odd that she'd let this man from her past get in the way of being there for her son. He'll probably have more of a significance down the road. But to me, he and Vicky were a distraction from other people I'd rather see.

It really bugged me that the sketch artist could fake Jack as a suspect. I know the Grayson's have more money than Midas, but could they really conduct their own sketches? Wouldn't this have to be done in the police station and monitored. If not, any family could hire sketches of fake perps to take off the heat of a loved one. This really stood out as farfetched.

Edited by sweetpd7, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:56 PM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

Also Emanda wasn't that well disguised. If the henchman is following the trial on TV he might well recognize her as Daniel's fiancee.

Yeah, that really takes me out of those moments because her disguises are never really disguises (wig and a change of clothes) and her voice sounds the same every time. Takeda should have given her an accent coach or something. She needs to change the cadence, tone of voice, accent... everything. I'm surprised none of her "duped" victims haven't figured her out yet. Hell, with all her money and resources, she could could at least have a professional special effects makeup artist apply prosthetics to her face to give her a new nose, body, facial scars, moles, wear colored contacts... something! She looks like herself every damn time. People in the Hamptons must be stupid and/or so narcissistic that they only notice themselves and not the people they interact with.

Revenge, step up Emanda's disguises game! She sucks.

Edited by Bella, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:59 PM.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

The meanest thing Victoria did was telling Charlotte that she's responsible for Daniel spending his life in jail. Way to make a nascent drug addict wanna stop taking pills!

Declan choosing Jack over Charlotte helps make up for the initial mistake of not showing Declan as mourning his father's death. I can't care about a character or his romantic interests if I don't think he cares about his family & close friends. Seeing Declan give up being with Charlotte so that he could save Jack = sympathetic.

quarks

quarks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

It really bugged me that the sketch artist could fake Jack as a suspect. I know the Grayson's have more money than Midas, but could they really conduct their own sketches? Wouldn't this have to be done in the police station and monitored. If not, any family could hire sketches of fake perps to take off the heat of a loved one. This really stood out as farfetched.

I agree it was farfetched. That said, I bought it, since I figured money was getting spread around.

What I did not buy is that Emanda, or even Ashley, didn't say -- wait a minute. Jack's BROTHER is one of the witnesses. Is he going to confirm this identification in court? Admittedly Ashley is just there for the cash, and the more scandal the better, but still.

Jlina

Jlina

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

So Declan went on to school? I guess Grandpa was a contrivance, since he's missing in action during all this "family" drama.

It wasn't as good as I thought it would be; I guess I'm shallow and miss the ladies who lunch? And the guy who's probably not an accidentalartistappearance, is waaaay too cute for Victoria, makes her look older and the necklace - wtheck? she slept in it? It's only purpose was to add to her sheet scenes? They {sp} did better the last time she was in a bar.

I expect Daniel's going to walk past his border next week, wonder how they'll get out of it?

And was surprised that Conrad did not go and try and comfort Charlotte after her mother slapped her face...no, disappointed.

Nolan's multi colored form fitting plaid shirt and Mason Treadwell's "you'll quit inviting me to the parties you've stopped having?" were the highlights of the show.

Wonder if Jack will have border problems? He was looking kind of manic.

Edited by Jlina, Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:29 PM.

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

Declan thinks he's a terrible boyfriend, but Charlotte's no better. She seems surprisingly fine with painting her boyfriend's only brother into being a murderer just so her own brother could be sprung. Did she (and the Grayons & co) really think Dec would back up that testimony, or was she too high to be thinking straight?

Oh, Jack. You are still....look, dude. I realize that chasing potential murderers can be fun and all that, but you do remember you only dated this girl for a few months, and also that just perhaps she hasn't contacted you because, well, she doesn't want to contact you?

Amily isn't just a girl who he's dated for a few months and then dumped him unceremoniously before leaving, though. He knows her life story, believes how traumatized she is, and he also knows she was involve in Tyler's murder, one way or another. And she disappeared under severely mysterious circumstances. I don't think anyone could at that point just shrug and move on.

I agree that QV's paramour storyline was a bit disjointed, especially because she doesn't strike me as a type to stop for a quickie when there's the matter of her son being in jail and she's trying to orchestrate his freedom.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

With Emanda's beat down of the henchman and stating, "This is for Jack... and Daniel," by saying both their names, if the henchman reports back to Vic, then what? Has Emanda lost her focus again or was this a plan up her sleeve?

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

So is Daniel the painter's son? Is that the next big reveal?

Charlotte doesn't fall far from the tree, does she? Bitch Junior is rearing her ugly head.

http://www.thetreadwellreport.com/ is a real website.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:28 AM

So is Daniel the painter's son? Is that the next big reveal?

That might explain Daniel's wanting to be a poet. He seems to be more passionate about liberal arts type things as opposed to business or technical things. But, that doesn't necessarily prove anything. If Daniel were Dominik's son, then Vic is beyond disrespectful because that would mean she passed both her kids off as Conrad's. I wonder if Daniel's name has significance like Charlotte being named after David's favorite aunt.

Edited by Bella, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:05 AM.

lcomp

lcomp

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

With Emanda's beat down of the henchman and stating, "This is for Jack... and Daniel," by saying both their names, if the henchman reports back to Vic, then what? Has Emanda lost her focus again or was this a plan up her sleeve?

I for one truly hope that it was part of some deeper plan. Because otherwise it's insane. Beating up a guy who doesn't even know why he is being attacked will only leave him with the memory that some random girl he met in a bar attacked him. Moreover he may eventually recognize Emanda, and will probably figure out who Jack is as well if he tried hard enough. It really wouldn't protect Jack or Daniel either unless Queen V with her massive resources is incapable of hiring someone else to do her dirty work. In fact the whole act seems completely pointless.

It would be much more interesting if this was part of a plan by Emanda to have this fellow report back to QV. Emanda may wish to increase Qv's suspicions and drive her into acting against her in a manner that, when exposed, will pull Daniel away from her hold.She already has the pictures of QV paying the henchman. If QV uses him as a witness against Emanda, she can spin it that the payment is not for beating up Daniel, but for accusing her.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:36 AM

I agree that QV's paramour storyline was a bit disjointed, especially because she doesn't strike me as a type to stop for a quickie when there's the matter of her son being in jail and she's trying to orchestrate his freedom.

Agreed. That seemed totally out of character. Also, I just didn't find their relationship interesting. It is the first time I have found Vic's relationship with anyone on this show to be dull. Otherwise, friend, foe, lover, or underling, Madeline Stowe has brought it to the party.

I had a feeling the beating of Daniel was a set up. Damn Vic. You really are an ends/means kinda gal.

I'm a little disturbed by how pleased I was to see Emanda deliver that beat down. It's been awhile since Emanda has let out her badass.

I knew the "...and that was for Daniel" was coming. I agree that it was risky to name either, let alone both. The disguise was thin, but most people don't recognize someone they only met once with different hair, especially if they met that person while drunk. The person may seem vaguely familiar but without a reference point it just a vague sense of déjà vu. However, spending the whole evening discussing the Graysons and then specifically mentioning Jack and Daniel was unnecessarily risky. Granted he was likely unconscious by the time she said Daniel's name, but still.

Nolan, I love you.

Declan, I like you?

Damn I'm glad this show is back.

Edited by RachelKM, Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:42 AM.

bahamut1987

bahamut1987

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:42 AM

I thought she played her cards to much when she announced in front of everyone she saw Charlotte with pills. That should have been told to Daniel in private as the loving fiance not wanting to out her future sis-in-law.

Remember that Emily had already established herself as the loving fiancée who was the only one willing to be completely honest with their defense attorney, and who valued Daniel's acquittal more than concealing embarrassing Grayson family secrets. This was just more in that vein.

This was entirely separate from the police investigation, and presumably was just to be floated to the media and/or Treadwell's blog to control the public story. What struck me was Victoria's sheer arrogance: instead of directing her crony to sketch a face remarkably similar to Jack's, it could have been a life study of the man. The facial hair was even groomed in exactly the same way, as we can see when the camera cuts between Jack at the bar and the sketch in Treadwell's hand.

Declan thinks he's a terrible boyfriend, but Charlotte's no better. She seems surprisingly fine with painting her boyfriend's only brother into being a murderer just so her own brother could be sprung.

When Charlotte and Declan left to go to school orientation (the beach), Victoria was still trying to convince her daughter that it was a woman (Amanda Clarke) in the hoodie, not a man. That night, Daniel is assaulted in the Rikers showers, Victoria and Emily go to the jail the next day, and Victoria spends the night in the city, while Conrad watches over Charlotte. It's possible that Charlotte never even heard about Jack being a new suspect, much less agreed to it, and in any event Daniel's already home by the time she reads Treadwell's story online.

I don't blame Declan for what he did to protect his brother, but he should have called Charlotte that same night and explained himself before Treadwell could post his story. He's been remarkably honest with and fair to her up until now, and owed her that same courtesy here even if it would end their relationship.

However, spending the whole evening discussing the Graysons and then specifically mentioning Jack and Daniel was unnecessarily risky. Granted he was likely unconscious by the time she said Daniel's name, but still.

It was probably a mistake on Emily's part, but it was immensely satisfying for both her and the audience. The writers were also teasing us by bookending the beating with both names, so we don't know on whose behalf Emily was most outraged and vengeful. She definitely should have reversed the order, though, so if the hireling does recognize her and report to Victoria, Jack's name is left out of it.

The only part I disliked was the monitored house arrest. I know it's necessary for storytelling purposes to have Daniel in the thick of things for maximum dramatic potential, but they should have at least mentioned a reason why solitary confinement in an actual jail was not an option. He was only in danger from unpredictably random inmates, not had a price put on his head by the Mob. And considering the judge specifically called out Daniel's flight risk and the Graysons' resources, they could at least set his bail at $100 million or more. Ten million dollars is something Conrad takes out of his pocket to wash his hands of an unwanted servant.

Edited by bahamut1987, Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:46 AM.

RememberMyName

RememberMyName

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

The painter guy just seems so....random.

I thought Victoria was in love with David Clarke? How many other guys has she been with?

Declan is getting a lot better and more believable. Starting to like the kid now.

Jaman

Jaman

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

I can't believe no one's mentioned what was clearly the best part of the episode. Nolan's outfit when he was saying goodbye to Jack. There was a pink popped collar polo, under a pink and white striped shirt, under a green and red lobster cardigan (with checkered pockets!) under the suit jacket. Omg, amazing. But also, how is he not dying in the Hampton's summer heat??

The painter guy was really random...I really wouldn't have minded him being introduced or hinted at earlier. I am going to be super mad if he ends up just being a plaything and not somehow involved in the grand scheme of revenge.

Edited by Jaman, Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:01 AM.

exzim

exzim

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:05 AM

Great episode other than the usual blips

How is Daniel going to change pants with the sensor on the outside. It goes against the bare skin, dumbo

What is Jack going to do in Montreal, wait outside which branch of which bank. Amily could be in Vancouver by now and still access the cash. Hasn't anyone heard of e-banking

How did Emanda follow QV to that bar where she met thuggo.

If the henchman is following the trial on TV he might well recognize her as Daniel's fiancee.

He'll keep quiet rather than admit he had the s--t kicked out of him by a woman. And given that woman information that could be a problem for QV

Edited by exzim, Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:11 AM.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Not only is Revenge back, but Emanda is back kicking a$$ - literally.

No kidding. Playing the Graysons and Mason (didn't expect to see him back, but whatever) against each other and beating the crap out of Victoria's goon -- Emanda is back with a vengeance! But where does she hide those wigs?

Even though she's probably going through a fair share of guilt right now, I hope she at least has time to gloat over successfully screwing over all her enemies. You could tell she was thinking, "Dance, puppets, dance!" when IMing Mason.

Poor Declan -- I never thought I'd write those words.

And poor Daniel. The scene with Emanda giving him jail advice broke my heart. And I have to admit while his beating was horrible...I still was happy to see him shirtless. Damn Josh Bowman's good looks.

Victoria once again proves that she'll screw over even the people she "loves" for "the greater good." I agree with whoever thinks the old flame is on Team Emanda. She got the lawyer, so I wouldn't put it past her.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times for Victoria.

Danie84

Danie84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

Long live Victoria!

I kmow I'm suppose to loathe her, but I love her. Every word, gasp, pose, eye dart thrown; I just wish to be her for a week. The utter disgust Mr. Grayson have for her is so entertaining. The show could be just those two going at it, tit for tat.

At first, I thought did Amanda really have to beat up the guy in the bar, since she recorded everything unbeknownst to him? But, then I remember he's the one that got Daniel jumped in prison. Which brings me back to how Victoria will go to any length to have her way. Everytime someone knocks her off her high horse, she steadies, and trounce right back on them.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

So Emanda makes a copy of the key of doom...but what will the key open?

the necklace - wtheck? she slept in it?

Well...there are other "uses" for the necklace...especially with the shape of it...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times for Victoria.

Seriously, this is was pure ownage by Emanda. She set up everything and each part fell right in line...wonderful.

Edited by djsunyc, Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:22 AM.