S25 Spoilers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

304 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Three tribes, three returning contestants in S25? "Pleasantly surprised" covers my feelings on the rumored alumni. Apparently, Probst not only seems serious about not bringing back one toxic asshole, but he also didn't block the return of one of his mortal nemeses.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

If it is just the three of them, then it should be pretty one-sided. Penner can strategize circles around those two. Skupin hasn't been around since season 2, and it was a whole different game back then.

Bringing this post over from the current season spoiler thread for a little analysis.

I think you and/or most people will be surprised by Michael Skupin. In the Australian Outback the editors really tried to make him a caricature of the crazy and abrasive social outcast, sometimes even deliberately taken words and actions out of context. The reality is far from what was shown however. Aside from Jeff Varner, Skupin was the only one that really understood the alliance aspect of the game on Kucha and he set up a really strong system of alliances that would have carried him very deep into the game had he not been injured.

He was in an alliance with Kimmi, Rodger, and Elizabeth, while at the same time being in an alliance with Nick and Alicia. Obviously he made the decision to move towards the middle with the Kimmi boot but if Kucha would have went into the merge 6-4 then there's no doubt he reaches F3. He even had a great shot at making the FTC as well because if the rest of Kucha saw the Elizabeth/Rodger bond as threatening as it really was in terms of not being allowed to get to the end (I'm very confident that Jeff realized this and that he would have been able to put it in Alicia's head as well) then he would have benefited the most from Rodger and Elizabeth being sent to the jury. Even if the Outback concluded with Kucha not eating itself viciously, Mike would have obviously had the inside track to winning his way to the end of the game.

I expect Mike to have a strong game as a returning player. I'm sure he will have lost some of his physical ability but obviously he's still going to be great outdoors and seen as a provider, and I think a lot of the players will simply go along with the sentiment that he's not a real threat in that he played Survivor when it was truly a different game. I think his enthusiasm for the show would have resulted in him studying the game's development (I know he used to do commentary for seasons pre-ASS) and I think he will come in at a pretty decent level of competency of game theory.

Switching gears, I do agree with most people when it comes to Russell Swan being a nonfactor. He played the game a couple of years ago and didn't show much semblance of strategy and his tribe dominating during the tribal phase afforded him the luxury of security and not having to formulate a strategy for the first ~15 days. He was also starting to fall into the timeless trap of taking the leadership role too seriously, though I can't blame him entirely because I think it was shortsighted of the show to push the importance of that aspect during S19. Like with Skupin, I see Swan's tribe continuing to dominate had he not been injured, and Swan strikes me as an early-jury boot because he had no real bond with other tribemates outside of the general respect they showed him on account of appearing to be a very capable leader.

I, like many, am ecstatic to see Penner return. I would be shocked if people didn't view him as the most threatening player by far and away which means that we will have another opportunity to see him work his unique magic to stick around. I'm perplexed by some of the comments on this board in particular in regards to him being "overrated." I have to say that I find that laughable, but it's good that he will have the opportunity to prove me right. I hope Penner watched HvV in particular because that's the one season that he really could learn the most from in regards to what he needs to avoid doing in order to be successful. Seeing the two strongest players on the Heroes tribe (Tom and Cirie) go out early and be marginalized simply because of their prior dominance should show Penner that he needs to proceed very carefully if he wants to make it deep.

Edited by Unconditional, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:03 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

I probably won't remain here long because I like being surprised. I just have to say that I'm happy with the returning players, in the sense that none of them are Colton. If it turns out that he was the inspiration to bring back the alumni, that would be awesome, because there are not enough people that can scream "FUCK YOU, COLTON" to suit me. I mean, isn't Probst a Penner-hater? That guy can get under Probst's skin . . . and I can't believe he would be coming back. I also can't believe OtherRussell would be getting an invite.

As for Michael? I'd like to know why he would be coming back now. I will say that his plunge into the fire changed S2. If he stayed healthy, Kucha could have gone up 6-4, the remainder of Ogakor would've been Pagonged, and we might had had Mike as the winner . . . . or maybe Jeff or Alicia. Bringing back somebody who hasn't been seen on TV in over a decade is a very intriguing plot twist.

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

I mean, isn't Probst a Penner-hater?

Nope. In fact, I believe Penner is in Probst's inner-Survivor circle, which supposedly consists of him, Romber, Ethan (which probably means Jenna, too), Gina from Marquesas, the late Jenn Lyon and Andrew Savage. Colby obviously was in it for a long time, but I think their friendship has tapered off.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

Oh, man. The returnees-play-with-new-players twist is the worst thing to ever happen to Survivor. I love Penner the Survivor character/guy on my TV, but I don't think he's an especially good player. Too abrasive, not willing to play with others or able to adapt. If he gets the million because everybody's starstruck---and Penner is the one non-winner for whom I personally would pay all of my money in exchange for the opportunity to hang out with him on a beach for a month and be the Grant to his Boston Rob---then that's a good use of a million dollars, but he'd also be the least-deserving winner ever. I wish his Survivor legacy could stay "funny guy, medium player", instead of "worst winner ever".

Skupin and Swan absolutely deserve second chances---mostly Skupin, as I have very little sympathy for the guy who deliberately fixated on an irrelevant part of the game and worked so hard at it that he took himself out. But I think it should be on a proper All-Stars season, not on a Special Olympics the-three-of-you-will-technically-have-competition-but-actually-the-other-17-will-be-cardboard-cutouts season like RI or SP.

Now, of the four who've been brought back on those seasons, three were notorious bullies and game-dominators and boot-order-dictators on at least one of their previous seasons. So it might be that, and not just the returning-players-mixing-with-new-players thing, that ruined those seasons. Penner, Skupin and Swan not being Russell, Rob and Coach might make it more tolerable. But on the other hand, Ozzy wasn't that type either, and his tribe was pretty damn starstruck.

Baron no like. Bad medicine.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:35 AM

The returnees-play-with-new-players twist is the worst thing to ever happen to Survivor.

Agreed. I didn't completely hate it on Guatemala or FvF because the concept hadn't been absolutely run into the ground back then. It's just been done so many times now. Since Colton was booted, I've actually enjoyed this season of Survivor in a way that I haven't in a very long time.

I love Penner the Survivor character/guy on my TV, but I don't think he's an especially good player. Too abrasive, not willing to play with others or able to adapt.

I'm already on record as not being a fan of the guy as a character or of some of the ego he's shown off the show. As a player, I think your assessment is fairly accurate, though. I don't think he knows how to adapt. As much as I hate RI, I can at least grant that B-Rob did finally adapt. He kept most of his smarmiest traits out-of-sight. He acted like a cult leader, and he got the end result he was going for. I think Penner is far too impressed with his own "intelligence" to do that.

Skupin and Swan absolutely deserve second chances---mostly Skupin, as I have very little sympathy for the guy who deliberately fixated on an irrelevant part of the game and worked so hard at it that he took himself out.

Not sure if I think Big Russell deserves another chance, but I definitely think Skupin does. I'm also pleased to see a more original-recipe player back. If they are going to have returnees, I'd rather it be people who've only played once before. Skupin and Russell are at least not retreads to the point that I'm sick of even reading their names.

I really hate that all of the recent returnees have been men, though. We haven't had a female returnee since HvV, and we've never had all-female returnees in a season. I guess it fits this show's outlook on "deserving" players, but it bums me out.

Edited by BDArizona, Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:36 AM.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:10 AM

Too abrasive, not willing to play with others or able to adapt.

The person that mutinied, and then flipped BACK over to the people he left is unwilling to play with others and is unable to adapt? Uh... okay.

But on the other hand, Ozzy wasn't that type either, and his tribe was pretty damn starstruck.

You mean the tribe that banned together immediately for the sole purpose of booting his strongest ally, that had two people that worked against him at all times even if it meant voting against their own interest, and that unanimously rooted against him at Redemption Island until he was able to earn their respect by beating them individually? That doesn't sound very starstruck to me.

The returnees-play-with-new-players twist is the worst thing to ever happen to Survivor.

I disagree with this simply on the basis that it's one of the things that hasn't actually gotten stale. I know a lot of viewers may be over the concept but there have been a total of 6 people to return and be a part of a tribe of newcomers and there's never actually been a repeat in how those tribes operate and how that returnee plays the situation they're put in. There isn't an "anti-returner" bias even though two of them have reached the FTC and lost. There also isn't a guarantee that the returners go deep in the game. On the face of it you would assume that there could only be so many different outcomes to this same premise being used over and over again. We haven't reached the point where things are routine yet: where the returners are being booted immediately out of resentment or are being crowned on Day 6 and the rest of the season drags out.

Bobby Jon integrated, Steph controlled every aspect and needlessly burnt bridges, Russell poisoned his tribe against him, Rob controlled everything under the guise of integrating, Ozzy sparred with his tribe over the dominant position, and Coach brought people together despite not actually being in full control like he thought he was. We also haven't had the same reception by those tribes to their returning member. The only tribe that truly embraced their returning player was Yaxha with Stephanie. There were several people that were immediately antagonistic towards Boston Rob and were not "starstruck" by him whatsoever, he just outplayed them despite starting from a bad position. We've only had one tribe be disgusted with their returning member (Zapatera), because even Upolu embraced Coach despite looking less than thrilled at the premiere.

My point is that while some people seem to think the concept is stale, that the tribes are full of people that don't know how to play and aren't smart (a huge misconception), and that the players returning don't deserve it: we still see new gameplay every single time. I would be comfortable right now guaranteeing that both Skupin and Swan will continue that trend of returning and having a different reaction to the situation than the 6 we've already seen. Penner, that's not so clear.

Edited by Unconditional, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:11 AM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

and Penner is the one non-winner for whom I personally would pay all of my money in exchange for the opportunity to hang out with him on a beach for a month and be the Grant to his Boston Rob

Yes. This.

I love Penner more than words and I look forward to seeing him and his eyes again muchly. I don't think he's a fantastic player, but I think he's good.

I'm excited to see Skupin. It should be interesting to watch how he'll play the game now. It feels like it's been 100 years since he was on.

I barely remember Russell, but I feel like I kinda hated him. So eh.

Still, I wish they'd stop it with the returning players vs. new players nonsense.

Edited by peachmangosteen, Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:05 AM.

doctorb

doctorb

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Like Lantern7 I won't stick around long. Reading a boot order that actually turns out to be right ruined one season for me, but I had to see what was going on and comment.

I'd heard that Skupin was invited to the first ASS and turned it down. Wonder why he finally changed his mind? Money from speaking must be tapering off and he needs to give his brand a shot in the arm, I suppose. But I liked him during the season.

Penner I really like. I'll agree that he's only a good player, not great, but I think he's very smart and adaptable and hope he shocks us with some of the best game play since, well, since Kim, but you know what I mean. He made one mistake thinking Candace was his closest ally in the game and it was a fatal one, but if he read her 1% better he doesn't flip and is final 4. Then he was headed for a final 5 a second time and punctured his leg. He may be the only two-timer I actually want to see again.

Swan, I liked him and I'm glad he gets another shot but I don't anticipate much better from him. Instead of retyping, I'll quote Unconditional:

Like with Skupin, I see Swan's tribe continuing to dominate had he not been injured, and Swan strikes me as an early-jury boot because he had no real bond with other tribemates outside of the general respect they showed him on account of appearing to be a very capable leader.

Yep.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

This conversation is giving me a good excuse to rewatch Cook Islands ASAP, because I haven't in a while:

The person that mutinied, and then flipped BACK over to the people he left is unwilling to play with others and is unable to adapt? Uh... okay.

As I recall, he mutinied because he couldn't work with the people he was with (and misread Candice's level of allegiance to him) and then flipped back to the people he left because, a)., Yul had an idol, and b)., he couldn't work with the new people either.

It was framed on the show (and in my heart, where I love Penner) as, "These punks aren't smart and rational like Penner! They aren't good enough to play with him!" But as Rudy said in season 1, when you're the odd man out, *you* have to adapt to *them*.

I don't think he's a bad player. I think he was exactly good enough of a player to come in seventh on a season featuring two and a half bona fide Survivor legends, and that's no small thing. If he can grow nearly as much as Coach and Boston Rob did, he'll win and deserve to. But, I don't know, I'd just like to see him do that on an all-star season, not up against a bunch of new players who are at the disadvantage of not having had five and a half years to sit back and analyze what they did wrong and how they might do better.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

The big thing was the Candice misread. He and Yul got along really well. Yul was continually mystified when Becky and Sundra said they didn't like him. And then he flipped back because he fuckin' hated Parvati and didn't want her to win a million dollars, which is where that was heading. Maybe respected her a little, but HAAAAAATED her. And as previously mentioned, he really likes Yul. I'm approximately 75% sure he'd vote for him for President with no hesitation.

And in FvF, he was in a really good position when the challenge producers nearly killed him.

Edited by enlightenedbum, Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:26 AM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

If he can grow nearly as much as Coach and Boston Rob did, he'll win and deserve to. But, I don't know, I'd just like to see him do that on an all-star season, not up against a bunch of new players who are at the disadvantage of not having had five and a half years to sit back and analyze what they did wrong and how they might do better.

Yes. It sucks because I think that, on general principal, I won't be able to root for Jonathan because he's on his third chance against first chancers. And that sucks because I love Jonathan and I'd like to root for him.

I believe Penner is in Probst's inner-Survivor circle . . .

Ew. Well, that'll help me in not rooting for him.

Edited by peachmangosteen, Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:57 AM.

tezza

tezza

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 5:31 AM

Unconditional, that was my comment about Skupin. I think i wasn't clear with what i was getting at - we often saw the pre-idol player struggle with the new rules to strategising, and i think being out of the game for 10+ years would put him at a distinct disadvantage. Penner has kept up with Survivor, and has been involved in analysing gameplay in various seasons. I just think Penner has a HUGE advantage over Skupin. Swan was just such a non-factor, i'll be surprised by anything he does.

I'm excited to see how this turns out though. I don't actually hate any of the returnees, which is always a bonus. If the newbies are smart, they'll boot them asap. I'd like to see Skupin prove me wrong though, and show how old-school Survivors can still rock this game.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 5:35 AM

I think Colby and Jerri more than showed that in Heroes vs. Villains.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

Also, Sandra.

tezza

tezza

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

Probably getting a little off topic here, and YMMV, but I would argue that Colby, Jerri and Sandra (while I do enjoy them) didn't show anywhere near as much game as the post-idol players. Colby very much lucked into his position by being lackluster in challenges. Jerri played a pretty good game, granted, but paled in comparison to players like Parvati and Russell. She would never have been comfortable with the idol-play done by Parvati and Russell. Sandra's game works as a free agent, and is awesome to watch, but I think her repeated failed attempts to get Russell out shows that she's not on the same level strategically.

Don't get me wrong, I love the oldschool players. Most of my favourite Survivors come from that era. I just worry that Skupin's long hiatus from the game could be a huge detriment to him. If anyone can overcome that though, I think he's the one in with possibly the greatest chance. It was definitely his ouster that changed the outcome of season 2.

I think i'd be more excited about this season if it was someone other than Swan. He was a great team leader, but we never saw the level of strategic thinking that Penner and Skupin did. I just hope he ups his game, so its a real battle.

Lazard000

Lazard000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Are we %100 sure that Colton's not returning? It seems like the whole "bring back the Evac" concept was created specifically for his ass. Personality aside, he would have an unfair advantage to the other returnees because like Russhole in HvV he'd return without anyone having watched his previous season.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

Are we %100 sure that Colton's not returning? It seems like the whole "bring back the Evac" concept was created specifically for his ass. Personality aside, he would have an unfair advantage to the other returnees because like Russhole in HvV he'd return without anyone having watched his previous season.

I think it was confirmed that at least for this season it would just be Skupin, Swan, and Penner returning. Colton could be a part of S26 but we don't know that yet.

I think Colby and Jerri more than showed that in Heroes vs. Villains.

Let's be clear: A lot of Colby's "lackluster challenge performance" was in fact his determined strategy. I'm not sure if even he knew how bad his infection really was but he made the decision pretty early on to throw certain challenges and to concentrate on others. The fact that Rupert continued to overplay in challenges and try to show everyone how threatening he was only played into Colby's suspicions that if he downplayed his ability he would make it to the F5. Aside from that we know how alliances were established: the people that were hanging out constantly and that played on the same season hooked up 15 minutes after they landed on the beach and that naturally left Colby on the outside with an impossible barrier to break through.

This is one reason why I don't think Skupin will be hit with that stigma that he's a returning player and has to be ganged up on like we saw with Rob, Coach, and Ozzy before they mitigated it, or that he played a lifetime ago and that other players might be hooking up with familiar faces. As I said earlier in the thread, a lot of people don't actually know how strategic he was in Australia and how he was in every alliance on Kucha and was very safe. The newer players will probably undervalue him and just think of him as "the guy who killed the pig but fell in the fire" and that will be a HUGE advantage for Mike if he plays it right.

I think i'd be more excited about this season if it was someone other than Swan. He was a great team leader, but we never saw the level of strategic thinking that Penner and Skupin did. I just hope he ups his game, so its a real battle.

I agree with the thoughts on Swan but to be fair to him we didn't really get to see what strategic elements of the game he understood. He definitely didn't show much of any understanding of strategy while he was playing but maybe the viewing experience showed him that. It's not out of the question for him to start S25 on a powerful tribe and coast through the first few votes like he did during Samoa, and then hook up with some newer players and try to hide in their alliance. He also will benefit from the newer players undervaluing him.

Edited by Unconditional, Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:02 AM.

Giesela1000

Giesela1000

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

Got this off Survivor Whispers (facebook) by Jim Early (aka missaye) He has said before that Colton will be back though not when. He has intimated that Probst likes Colton, sort of like he loves Russell. Is it all true? Time will tell.

25 has 3 returnees.
26 has 10.
27 is newbies
28 is full all stars,
29 is newbies,
30 is full all stars.
Thats providing JP signs up for that many more. If he only goes to 28 then move 29 and 30 down to replace 27 and 28.

tezza

tezza

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

An unconfirmed spoile floating around is that the final 3 is 2 women and a man, with the man being Skupin, and most likely winning.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

An unconfirmed spoile floating around is that the final 3 is 2 women and a man, with the man being Skupin, and most likely winning.

As much as I love Penner, I would love to see Skupin win. Hoping this one holds up.

Giesela1000

Giesela1000

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

deleted, wrong thread

Edited by Giesela1000, May 10, 2012 @ 8:31 AM.

rockhopper78

rockhopper78

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

After following some of the early spoilers for season 25 I'll summarize them here. Survivor: Philippines spoilers started leaking not too long ago by a guy that lives in the Philippines. Apparently he knows a guy working on the production or something. Anyways I'll sum them up, but spoiler credit goes to him, Beatlebum79. We'll see if they are accurate or not soon enough, but they appear legit for the time being. Final 3 & winner speculated below so you're warned if you're only interested in light spoilers.

• 3 tribes, each containing 6 members, wherein each contains a returning player that left the game due to injury.
  • As you all should know by know after reading through this thread, they are Mike Skupin, Russell Swan, and Jonathan Penner.
  • The 3 tribes are named after animals. TANDANG (rooster) [red buffs], MATSING (monkey) [yellow buffs], and KALABAW (water buffalo?) [blue buffs].
  • Apparently the Matsing tribe does exceptionally well as they don't lose a single member pre-merge.
  • Merge at 12, tribe layout: Matsing = all 6 members, Tandang = 2, Kalabaw = 4
  • The spoilers don't state which returning players are on what tribe. BUT, the FINAL 5 consists of 5 members of a 6-person alliance. *(That unfortunately screams a big ol' Pagonging to me from the sound of it)
  • Final 5 is said to consist of 3 women (1 Brazilian, 2 Caucasian) and 2 men (one older, one younger)
  • FINAL 3 is said to be the brazilian girl Leeza (Liza?)Rodriguez, Sara Denise Valdez, and Mike Skupin. Sara was a top 10 Sears finalist from a year ago named Sara Denise, but after getting married she goes by Denise, I believe.
  • Mike Skupin is the speculated winner.

Also Jim Early aka Missyae revealed some new spoilers. Funny how he all of a sudden has spoilers after this other guy already posted his. But anyways he revealed a couple new tidbits. Most notably that former MLB player and 5 time all star Jeff Kent is on and most likely on Penner's tribe. (Do you think he'll get this one right, since the Kimbo Slice one, not so much?). The brazilian, Liza is on Skupin's tribe, and a "beautiful blonde" Angie Layton is on Swan's tribe.

Only other thing of note right now posted by Missyae was that one of the women can't swim, and there is at least one early swimming challenge. Well I guess she better hope she's on Matsing tribe so they can sit her out of challenges since they won't be losing any.

*Note: I for one hope that the 6 person alliance rumored to make the final 5 actually is the Kalabaw and Tandang tribe coming together at merge to upset the big ol' meanies of Matsing. If spoilers are true, I would like something at least exciting to happen other then one tribe go unbeaten through the entire game to the end. I don't want to see another Palau.

Edited by rockhopper78, May 10, 2012 @ 6:24 PM.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Most notably that former MLB player and 5 time all star Jeff Kent is on and most likely on Penner's tribe.

Based on the persistent rumors during his career that he's about as pleasant as a buzzsaw, Kent should make for an interesting contestant.

Edited by Nutjob, May 11, 2012 @ 12:10 PM.

ratherbereading

ratherbereading

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I came in specifcally to check and see of Colturd was one of the evacuees and am beyond ecstatic to find out he is not. I am also excited to see Penner and Mike Skulpin as two of the returnees. I could honestly care less about Russell Swan,

Sadly I see that there is a chance Colturd will be showing up in Season 26 (which I suspect is true due to the fact that he appeared to have gained considerable weight at the reunion show). But at least by the time they start filming that, people will have had a chance to see his season and hopefully will bounce his sorry ass first chance they get.

Jeff Kent as a contestant? That poor tribe.

neptune42

neptune42

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:25 AM

I also came here to see if POSColton was returning - guess I'll give the next season a chance since he's not. :-)

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:34 AM

I'm thrilled to hear that Mike could potentially be the winner. I have been telling people on these forums for years that he was one of the players in Australia that actually understood the game the best and was in the best position on Kucha due to alliances he set up. Had he not been injured I have little doubt he would have won his season simply due to how the game was played back then, and I can't wait to see him play again.

KateD

KateD

Just Tuned In

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

In regular Survivor fashion, S25 has already filmed, right?

That was my solace before even reading the spoilers as to who WAS coming back: Colton was so fat (compared to Colton and not compared to, say, Fat Albert) at the reunion that he either was not on S25, or at the very least got voted out tout de suite.

As for the actual (as spoiled) returnees: Penner was a no-brainer if he'd come, Skupin was a surprise from Olde Tyme Survivor. My daughter was 3 when Swan made his exit, and has been worried about him ever since. She also calls every black guy with dreads Russell *sigh*. She'll be happy to see him back, if I let her watch any Survivor!

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

I hate that they're having returnees, but if they have to, you could do a whole lot worse than Skupin, Good Russell and Penner. The latter in particular is one of my top 10 favorite players. I love his sense of humor, his enthusiasm for the game, and the fact that he was one of the few contestants that would not stand for Jeff's BS and gave it back as good as he got.

The big thing was the Candice misread. He and Yul got along really well. Yul was continually mystified when Becky and Sundra said they didn't like him. And then he flipped back because he fuckin' hated Parvati and didn't want her to win a million dollars, which is where that was heading. Maybe respected her a little, but HAAAAAATED her. And as previously mentioned, he really likes Yul. I'm approximately 75% sure he'd vote for him for President with no hesitation.

And in FvF, he was in a really good position when the challenge producers nearly killed him.

Actualy, Penner flipped back because he found himself trapped with one of the most loathsome group of repellent bullies that ever allied in this game: Nate, Adumb, Candice and Parvati. Those four, especially mouth-breathers Nate and Adumb, got their jollies belittling and taunting Penner, and I believe they also even befouled his clothes while he was away, as a sick joke. Parvati was actually the least hated by Penner of the four. Penner knew he was next man out, so he made a deal with Yul: I'll be the vote to eliminate these a-holes one by one, because they don't deserve a drink of swamp water much less a million dollars, and then you can vote me out whenever you want, no hard feelings. Penner knew his game was shot, but at least he had the satisfaction of denying the bastards. And when Nate's jaw dropped to the floor after his blindside, it was probably the most satisfying comeuppance TC has ever seen.

And yes, the producers almost killed him by running contestants tied to the back of other contestants through a forest of trees, sharp sticks and branches. What could go wrong there? Also, that crazed roided-out fireman almost ran Chet into multiple concussions at full speed. Probably the most misguided challenge ever. They were darned lucky there weren't fatalities.

Also, it will be interesting to see Skupin play again. As many have noted, he was playing a terrific game, and was in a secure power position before he fell into the fire; so the man can play.

Most notably that former MLB player and 5 time all star Jeff Kent is on and most likely on Penner's tribe.

Based on the persistent rumors during his career that he's about as pleasant as a buzzsaw, Kent should make for an interesting contestant.

Wow. That guy was the most miserable, sullen son-of-a-bitch that ever stepped on a diamomd. He played with all the enjoyment and appreciation of someone enduring a root canal. He was the one and only Dodger that I've ever completely despised and rooted against even when he was on the team. The Dodgers used to have a big problem in the clubhouse with the young players feeling disrespected and criticized, and it was all Jeff Kent, telling everyone to shut up, sit down, meditate on your sins, and show respect by acting like you're not having fun at all playing a kid's game. A one-man wet blanket. He even badmouthed Vin Scully for "talking too much." It was unbelievably telling that in mid-2008, after Manny Ramirez lightened the mood, Kent injured himself for the year, and the very next day, the Dodgers caught fire with a huge winning streak and made the playoffs for the first time in years. You've never seen a more joyous, together crowd than the Dodgers (sans Kent) the day they clinched. Like Colton's appendix, Kent's bum knee saved a season.

Edited by El Guapo, May 15, 2012 @ 2:56 PM.

Celtic Esquire

Celtic Esquire

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

As I recall, he mutinied because he couldn't work with the people he was with (and misread Candice's level of allegiance to him) and then flipped back to the people he left because, a)., Yul had an idol, and b)., he couldn't work with the new people either.

This is all correct, but one thing that often gets left out of the discussion as to why Penner flipped back to the Aitu 4 after the merge is because Yul told him that he would consider taking him to the Finals because Penner was hated by everyone.

From Penner's perspective that had to have been a better deal than rolling the dice with his new tribemates, none of whom he really liked. He was clearly at the bottom of the Nate/Candace/Parvati/Adam alliance and would have been the clear target after the Aitu 4 were eliminated. I thought it was a smart move for Penner to flip back to the Aitu 4 because he had a better chance of becoming a goat for them.