11-29: "Top 7 Performances Redux" 2012.04.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

131 replies to this topic

Sarraghina

Sarraghina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

And more randomness; someone earlier said something about Sons of Sylvia being on Idol. They preformed on a result show in 2010 i think, and sang 'Love left to loose'.

They started out as part of Carrie's band. The fiddler (and lead singer for their own group) played on "Before He Cheats" - it's where I first noticed him. And yeah, last night's fiddler seemed like he was trying to evoke that.

I think Tim Urban is a hundred thousand times hotter than Phillip Phillips.

Oh, hells yes! I can see why others think PP is "hot" but I can't get over his contortions when he sings! Tim Urban was a guilty pleasure to watch when he was on....

I think (hope) Elise will be gone tonight. Although, if people are done with Joshua (and the undeserved, unrelenting standing O's from the judges), then I could see him getting the boot. Wouldn't be sad about that!

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

Remove Colton and insert every other contestant left ……. Each one of them sound exactly the same when they sing, except for Jessica who sounds just like the original artist.

I don't disagree that many of the contestants, heck, MOST of them suffer from this (Joshua is probably the worst case). I DO disagree that Colton is exempt. I think he's the worst offender of all, except for Joshua.

Sure, he'll take the arrangement of a song we all know and change it up far from the original. And [air quotes] make it his own [un air-quotes]. The problem is his end result sounds the same as every OTHER time he did that. His end product all sound virtually identical to each other, regardless of what it originally was, and (as an aside), they're also inevitably kind of weak voiced and super-emo, regardless of the original intention or message of the song.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:39 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Colton or Joshua going home would be extremely amazing, partly to see the judges' face who are so crammed up both of their asses, mostly Joshua. Joshua will definitely be eliminated before Top 2, so i can't wait to see how t hey will react to that.

I thought Jessica sounded amazing as always, but I think her confidence has been knocked after the save. It's gotta be a weird feeling to perform for a country who initially said "GTFO" last week. I have to keep reminding myself that she's 16 years old still.

I disagree with the notion of "Skylar can't win, because Scotty won last year" talk. If Kris could win after David, and Lee, after Kris, who I group in the "random wannabe A/C 'rockers' with a guitar", then a female country powerhouse winning after a baritone country guy, isn't that much of a stretch.

Edited by PBGamer89, Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:44 PM.

goyourownway

goyourownway

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

Oh, hells yes! I can see why others think PP is "hot" but I can't get over his contortions when he sings! Tim Urban was a guilty pleasure to watch when he was on....

I always found Tim too pretty boy/twinkish, but again, looks are always subjective. I must say that I also find Phil Phil to be the hottest guy on this show thus far, in that he is handsome and a mans man, sort of like a young Bruce Springsteen. I like that. A lot of the other "hot" guys(Michael Johns, Casey James, Ace etc) I never saw as threats to win the whole thing, I guess what I am not so eloquently am trying to say is that Phil seems more like a whole package deal to me(of course his voice/style will not be everyones cup of tea).

I actually thought last nights show was pretty good and entertaining. I thought Hollie was awesome on RITD but weak on Son of a Preacher Man. I can't help but root for her though, so I hope she stays.

I also may be in the minority but I thought Joshua deserved the standing O for A Change is gonna come. I do think the judges have been ott with their standing o's for him, but last night he brought tears to my eyes with that peformance.

I wish Colton would go home tonight, but that is so not going to happen.

harperlee

harperlee

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

Did anyone else think jessica's thoughts on why the judges rushed the stage on what was to be her final performance (they hate her and were coming up there to tell her to leave, or something to that effect) was really insincere? I don't believe she thought that at all, and I think she's trying to endear herself to us w her "little old me" thing, it's annoying.

BadLilSister

BadLilSister

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

Did anyone else think jessica's thoughts on why the judges rushed the stage on what was to be her final performance (they hate her and were coming up there to tell her to leave, or something to that effect) was really insincere? I don't believe she thought that at all, and I think she's trying to endear herself to us w her "little old me" thing, it's annoying.

I was trying to figure out what was going with that whole exchange. I think Ryan asked her that same question last week after the save and she said something along the lines of "I didn't think anything". I tend to think her original answer was closer to the truth. Maybe TPTB wanted to give her another shot at answering so she could show a little personality.

LucyJJane

LucyJJane

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:58 PM

Yeah, harperlee, that's exactly what I thought Jessica was doing. And it was fucking annoying. I want to punch girls who do that "gee-aren't-I-cute??" shit.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

I wish Colton would go home tonight, but that is so not going to happen.

Wish granted!

Its a good night!

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Hollie: Her first song was better, but she did good tonight. (I loved the little video greeting from LFC - Steven Gerrard and his groin says for Hollie to sing good. Hollie says: I will sing good, Steven Gerrard. And he was like "..." and she was like "...")

Random fact: That was not Steven Gerrard in the front wishing Hollie good luck, it was the long-serving defender Jamie Carragher. But either way fun to see how excited she got :)

A confession: I had stepped out of the room and just saw the very end of this video, so I didn't know which players were actually featured. I only mentioned Steven Gerrard because the Steven Gerrard's groin and the 'he was like ""' thing are running jokes on a football blog I read regularly. So it was the ancient Jamie Carragher instead, huh? (Nota bene: I am older than both Gerrard and Carragher so that must make me practically dead in footballing terms. lol)

I did find Hollie's excitement over the video greeting to be very sweet and charming.

joeschmoe

joeschmoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Yeah, harperlee, that's exactly what I thought Jessica was doing. And it was fucking annoying. I want to punch girls who do that "gee-aren't-I-cute??" shit.

I can't see how Jessica would be THAT insincere and calculating. I don't see that kind of killer instinct in her, which, at her age, is a darn good thing.

Shy, sweet and unassuming? Sure. Insincere and obviously pandering? Hardly.

Music2012

Music2012

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

NO WAY should Colton of gone home before Skylar. this is why this show makes no sense because "America" voting is so biased to region, culture, "GAYDAR", political, dress, hair?????..and then you have the few that actually vote on voice. Oh well. Maybe she just isnt "my taste" but I think I have a good sense of vocal perception based on reviews from the Simon Cowels and Jimmy's out there (usually right on par or in the ball park to their critique). So I just dont get this one. Would love to hear what Simon Cowel says about her. IF Simon loves her too then maybe I am losing it as she does absolutely nothing for me. I try to like her, I really really do. I "want" to understand all the great reviews about her and put it behind me so I dont cringe when I hear everyone "gush" about what I consider average singing at best. She definitly isnt the standard I have always believed "Idol" stood for? Holly, although I feel she has a lot to grow is Idol material - even though she isnt my pick, I can see how she is above average. I'll just shut up about this one because it makes no sense to me so wont try to get it. She does nothing for me.

I am not a country fan, but I can see why Carrie Underwood and a few others made it, but this one, nope, not even close. She definitly has a vocal footprint but not one I can bare.

LucyJJane

LucyJJane

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

Shy, sweet and unassuming? Sure. Insincere and obviously pandering? Hardly.

Clearly you haven't spent much time around middle school girls, haha.