American Bandstand

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

(Wow, this show didn't have a topic already?)

Anyway, discussions on the show, the late Dick Clark (as he relates to the show), etc.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

My favorite part was "Rate a Record" - How many times do you suppose Dick heard "It has a good beat and it's easy to dance to!" I STILL say that about new songs! Ah, back when America's Oldest Teenager was actually darn young! How his family must miss him, he seemed like a lovely person.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Born in 1960, one of my early memories is Bandstand being on in the afternoons, and "Rate A Record". I recall that the kids who helped rate the records often got a supply of Stridex Medicated Pads as a thank you gift.Why I remember that, I'm not really sure.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

1966 baby here, so AB had long since gone to Saturday afternoons when I started watching, but even I remember the Stridex commercials. Made me wonder if Dick had bought stock in the company or something.

urbanpreppie05

urbanpreppie05

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

One of the things I miss about the old VH1 is that they used to show (edited) episodes of AB, from roughly 74-84. Apparently It did ok, because later they added 60's episodes as well.

Very, very little of this show is on youtube, sadly. I know it sounds silly, but I loved how the show's set and theme changed with the times. I think my favorite is the mid-70s theme and the set from the last syndicated year (which has been popping up a LOT in DC tributes).