8-20: "The Girl With No Name" 2012.04.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

61 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

From Comcast:

A Jane Doe in the hospital turns out to be a patient whose case has gained national interest. Meanwhile, Richard comes to an unsettling realization when he visits Adele at her nursing home; and the residents...

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

They HAVE to quit writing Bailey having mental breakdowns. Once upon a time, when she was the Nazi, it was super effective because she was a badass who never cracked, so when she got emotional it meant something. Now she cries over a hangnail and I cannot stand it.

The girl playing Holly used to be on Gilmore Girls and I hated her then and still can't stand her, something about the way she talks. Sort of kept me from caring about that storyline at ALL. I was glad they finally had Meredith mention she has a kid, thought she forgot. Though it seemed like Callie DID forget about her kid.

Meredith, Cristina or Alex leaving...I can't even think about. That airport scene already gave me feelings as it was.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

That had a very different feel to the rest of Season 8. I really liked it, and I think that's due to have a better balance of medical storyline and the soapy storyline regarding the residents' interviews. I didn't mind the Richard/Adele plot, but it didn't fit into this episode for me.

Arizona and Teddy are clueless regarding their own residents.

Liked the psych doctor. Hope we see her again.

beadgirl

beadgirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

They HAVE to quit writing Bailey having mental breakdowns. Once upon a time, when she was the Nazi, it was super effective because she was a badass who never cracked, so when she got emotional it meant something. Now she cries over a hangnail and I cannot stand it.

No kidding. Her breakdown at the end would have been a whole lot more meaningful if she had spent all the previous time being tough and blunt and kick-ass.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Well, I did like it. It's the first full episode of the season that I've decided to watch, so that's always a good sign. It felt like it could have been a 'very special episode' of early Grey's. Well, if it were a two parter and if it were in early Grey's time.

I guess I have a bias for the victim, Holly because she's played by Vanessa Marano, so that's why I liked her. She played the victim as well as she could have. I was afraid that she was gonna die for a few minutes there, but I'm glad that she didn't.

Teddy still sucks and for once, I was on Owen's side. Stop whining about Cristina going to choose another placement and do something about it. Yeah, she's talented so obviously she'd want to look at other options. So don't go whining to Cristina's husband, who is probably gonna get a divorce from her soon enough anyway. I keep forgetting that she has a dead husband though...

April can go take any placement anywhere she wants. Just not in Seattle, please. I guess I felt for Jackson; it must suck to have a famous grandfather.

Meredith was wonderful and I did feel for Bailey in that scene where she was worrying about Tucker. But yeah, she's become way too soft and it would have been much more dramatic if this was filmed in the earlier seasons of Grey's, where Bailey was still the Nazi. Would have been much more dramatic.

Other than that, good episode. I felt for Richard and his storyline with Adele is very moving. Great episode for these past three season's standards.

SueR

SueR

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Guess that ending is a preview of who's not coming back next year, namely Meredith and Derek. I think I had read that anyway. Why does Christina have to be so nasty and rude to all the interviewers? Nobody's that great - there must be other good surgeons out there. <BR>For a while I thought maybe Bailey had some big trauma in her childhood we were going to find out about, since she so over-reacted to the whole kidnapped girl thing.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

I really enjoyed this episode as a whole, instead of just "parts" (as has been the norm for me).

Richard/Adele's story is just so sad because there's nothing one can do about it (until the day a cure for Alz is found).
I don't really care much for McScreamy, but props to him for putting Teddy in her place.

Love smug Cristina! She's earned it, worked for it, and damnit she is the best. Do we know where Burke went off too? Just curious... with all those places wooing her, I'm sure one of them has to be where he is.

I miss the Nazi. I can understand Bailey freaking out to some degree, but time has not been good to her character - while MAC has grown and evolved and gotten individually stronger, Bailey has become weak. I feel like after George died and the rollercoaster with Izzie's cancer, she just threw in the towel.

The airport moments were great, if not a little bittersweet ... The possibility (probability?) that one of MAC could be gone after this season breaks my heart.

Edited by NYluv, Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:28 AM.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I liked it, except for the Baily melt down of the week, which I knew I wouldn't like that from the sneak. Loved Cristina being back to herself for the most part.

jane08

jane08

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Shouldn't Tuck be way older than that now?

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Tuck should be four or five which is accurate to the actor they used. Plus two or three episodes ago Baily said he was five.

Locke081

Locke081

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

I was happily impressed with this episode! I haven't watched much this year, so boy was I surprised how far Adele had regressed. That woman can play dementia well, although I'm not sure about the writing. I know there's short-term versus long-term memory loss issues, but the way she recalled her new boyfriend reminded me more of amnesia than dementia. Regardless, the point got across Adele's gone and I was really moved by Richard/Adele.

And I love Cristina so much! Her scenes were enjoyable. I need to go read up on why Cristina/Owen and Meredith/Derek are separated. I saw a part of Owen's cheating episode, but not what led him to that point.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Shouldn't Tuck be way older than that now?

Tuck's five, turning six. The Fifth years were interns when he was born. He's the right age.

Edited by Erratic, Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:36 PM.

jane08

jane08

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Tuck's five, turning six. The Fifth years were interns when he was born. He's the right age.

Gosh, it seems like he's been around since the series started, but I guess not! Thanks!

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I need to go read up on why Cristina/Owen and Meredith/Derek are separated.

Meredith and Derek are not separated.

bgrape74

bgrape74

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

And I love Cristina so much! Her scenes were enjoyable. I need to go read up on why Cristina/Owen and Meredith/Derek are separated. I saw a part of Owen's cheating episode, but not what led him to that point.

Meredith and Derek are not separated. Cristina and Owen are because of his cheating.

I like the episode overall. Could use more MerDer though esp if one of them doesn't come back next season. The airport scene was cute. Derek looked hawt as usual. He and Zo were adorable. I felt horrible for Richard. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease. The lunch table conversation was funny.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I guess I have a bias for the victim, Holly because she's played by Vanessa Marano, so that's why I liked her. She played the victim as well as she could have. I was afraid that she was gonna die for a few minutes there, but I'm glad that she didn't.

Me too. I have liked Vanessa Marano from Gilmore Girls on, but I love her, and her character on Switched at Birth (and EBay...I know...Don't judge), so I did not want her to die either.

I miss old school Bailey. I am fine with giving a character layers, but she has changed so much from the Nazi. It is disappointing.

sadangel

sadangel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

First episode I watch live in a while. It was okay. It's weird that their were no scenes with Callie and her daughter. Also I had to turn the channel when Baliey started freaking out.

Edited by sadangel, Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:18 PM.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Are we going to find out why Bailey had yet another melt down, or are we supposed to chalk it up to the abduction as being every mother's nightmare (which it is!!!)?

I know the Richard & Adele storyline was supposed to be heartbreaking for him, but honestly karma is a boomarang and he is most likely feeling what Adele felt when he was messing around with Ellis, back in the day.

I guess having the interns running all around the country is a good way of letting us know that the show can continue when certain characters leave. It will be hard to see them go, though. At least there will be some sort of closure, and hopefully no deaths like with George!

Vanessa Marano will always be April Nardini-Danes to me. She has grown up to be a lovely young girl, but she still has that dead-pan voice that just screams "April".

On a totally shallow note, PD's hair has been looking awful lately. I miss his McDreamy mop.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

The girl playing Holly used to be on Gilmore Girls and I hated her then and still can't stand her, something about the way she talks.

I know her from the Young and the Restless (don't judge) and I think she's pretty good, though I do get what you're saying. She can have sort of a nasally sounding voice. I've never watched Gilmore Girls, but it seems VM does well with those dry cynical type characters. I really felt for the character she played here and thought it was a nice touch that the writers included some Stockholm type dialogue. She said she actually missed her tormentor and rapist. Yesh, the girl is messed up, but at least she knows it.

Loved loved loved seeing Cristina being wooed. I would expect nothing less for her character. Not sure if that sort of thing happens in real life (schools/hospitals sending fruit baskets and recruiters - is that what you call them?) but I can definitely suspend disbelief here. :D

Teddy can just go the fuck away. Loved Owen telling her to mind her damn business because according to her they aren't friends....and hence she has no right to ask him for favors or anything having to do with his wife. Bravo.

The only thing I really hated about this episode was Arizona basically sabotaging Alex. I love that she thinks so highly of him that she wants to keep him for herself, but not doing what she could (or what she said she'd do) to help him didn't sit right with me. I know Alex appreciated what Arizona had to say and he'll probably end up staying (because he wants to)....but its also nice for him to spread his wings a little and see what other options are out there.

I love Loretta Devine, but I couldn't care less about Adele and Richard. Sorry.

Avery needs to get the fuck over himself. I am soo sick and tired of the "oh woe is me...all these doors keep opening only because of my last name" crap. Dude should be grateful people are even giving him the time of day regardless of why.

Gosh, it seems like he's been around since the series started, but I guess not! Thanks!

He has pretty much. In real life the show has been going for 8 years, but in reel life its only been 5.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:50 PM.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Well, that was OK. Better than expected.

Welcome back Cristina! This is the Cristina I remember. Don't care about her scenes with Owen McDouchebag, so bleh, but was happy to see her snark back. I don't understand why the applause to Owen when he barely saw the patient.

I enjoyed the Fab 3 scenes. I'm glad Alex stood up for himself at the end. And wow, JC is looking pretty good, especially in a suit.

Zola should just be there all the time making baby noises. She's adorable. I loved that MerDer/Cris/Zola opening scene. It was nice. Loved Derek encouraging Meredith.

I felt so bad for Richard. This was really sad but Loretta was beyond excellent.

MHCBadDude

MHCBadDude

Couch Potato

• Interests:Sports. NEO. Family. Golden Girls. Grey's Anatomy. Dancing with the Stars. Cheese. School. Walgreens (unfortunately). That's it.

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

The entire episode was worth it just to have Cristina shake Alex's hand and say goodbye, because they are "officially on different career paths." I love this Cristina. I really hope they don't try and reunite her with Owen, though.

I can't say I hated Owen putting fucking Teddy in her place. That was awesome. Also enjoyed Derek and Zola meeting Meredith at the airport. That was too freaking cute. I do wonder if the interviews, especially the one in Boston, are indications of what actors are returning.

I don't understand why the applause to Owen when he barely saw the patient.

Congratulations, Owen for doing your job...at a mediocre level.

Edited by MHCBadDude, Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:58 PM.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I've given up on a lot of these characters and the ridiculous plots that travel over the river and through the woods and have yet to arrive at grandma's house.

At this point, as long as Adele is happy, I'm good. If anyone in Shondaland deserves a little sunshine, it's here.

theponderer

theponderer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Love-hate (more often hate in recent times) this show. But when there a story line that is good, it is spectacular, in my view.

I burst into horrible racking sobs (means it was good) at the final scenes tonight with the Webers.

True, deep, sad, strangely hopeful...TV doesn't get any better.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

The promo exaggerated things as usual.

They start filming again in just a few short months so I would like to think we will find out soon who is staying and who is going so I can decide whether to tune in next season. Without the fab 3-4 or however many are left, I am not sure I want to tune back in.

If Meredith is just going to up and go with Derek and Zola to Boston, then why bother with the dream house? It's rather pointless. Shonda dragged the stupid house so damn long that now it seems pointless if they are just going to up and go to Boston!

I really feel for Richard. But he can remind her all he wants of who he is and it won't matter. She is like Ellis and has no clue who he is!

Edited by lovetovolunteer, Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:13 AM.

Somerset

Somerset

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

The entire episode was worth it just to have Cristina shake Alex's hand and say goodbye, because they are "officially on different career paths." I love this Cristina.

I loved that so much. It was almost as good as when they all figured out that April's a virgin and Cristina -- during the dark depths of her dreary PTSD storyline -- got all excited and told Alex to go and deflower her. Their weird, non-friendship friendship is so entertaining and it's what I would miss most if either Oh or Chambers left.

I agree with everybody else that didn't like Bailey's behavior in the episode. It was just too extreme to begin with and each instance that followed was annoying. It lacked a proper build-up.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

Are we going to find out why Bailey had yet another melt down

She needs her yearly Emmy fodder

Felt sorry for Owen for the first time since S5. Teddy crying about Cristina is disturbing to me. She has so really messed up problems.

Katgrrl

Katgrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:54 AM

I, like so many, missed the Christina we'd grown to know and love. I identify a great deal with the character in a professional sense, the difference between the character and myself is that in my personal life (historically) I am an emotional wreck. It's been very disheartening and difficult to watch a character I so strongly admired, weakened and broken by her personal life and viewing her professional life suffering as a result. I've been there. I've come out on the other end now. I no longer place my professional life as paramount above my personal...causing one to suffer when anything contrary to the perfect norm occurs. I thoroughly enjoyed shades of the Christina coming about again, all the while softening toward Owen. I've been in a similar situation...it's so horribly difficult to come to terms with your partner cheating on you when your self-awareness is based upon your professional achievements (you can't believe that someone would ever cheat on you or consider you less than who you are)...i absolutely loved the small give that she gave to Owen. To me, totally realistic. Especially so for a woman like Christina. I don't view that as a weakness, but rather an understanding of someone else (which I struggle with, a great deal).

The Holly storyline disturbed me a great deal...I felt that aside from Bailey's reaction it was handled in a way that viewers would enjoy and experience empathy. I really thought that at some point Bailey would have been the friend the mother stopped to chat with...her reaction seemed rather escalated related to the incident. Especially more than a decade later. I'm not a parent, but I have two dogs and I know that I'd be beside myself if someone took one...I can only imagine what a parent must feel.

So, obviously Meredith and her happy go lucky family are departing...I don't spoil myself, but who else is leaving????

Edited by TWoP Roxy, Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:06 PM.
boards on boards

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:31 AM

She is like Ellis and has no clue who he is!

Except the irony is that Ellis always knew who Richard was. She didn't always recognize Meredith, but she sure knew Richard.

dvrsavedtv

dvrsavedtv

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Why does Christina have to be so nasty and rude to all the interviewers? Nobody's that great - there must be other good surgeons out there

Because that's all she is. Nasty and rude. Never grateful and appreciative. The scene in the restaurant made me want to slap her. She didn't even have the courtsey to listen to the man. The thing she was doing with her mouth was annoying.

I really really hope Cristina fails her boards. That was be AWESOME!

Are we going to find out why Bailey had yet another melt down, or are we supposed to chalk it up to the abduction as being every mother's nightmare

I understood her being emotional when the girl was brought in and remembering in detail her story. As a mother I would feel the same way and some stories I've heard on the news on abduction have stayed with me. But weeks later Bailey was still unable to form a sentence without crying was a bit much.

Edited by dvrsavedtv, Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:50 AM.

branchop

branchop

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

I know enough about this subject to get me in trouble so bear with me:

I didn't care for Adele's affair, because it didn't ring true. The Memory care facilities understand that this could happen and do what they can to not make it happen. In my grandmother's facility, they keep men and women on different halls under lockdown unless it is a social event. No way would they be able to be in the same bedroom.

Even if they did allow it to happen, I can't imagine anyone would be OK with letting it happen if one of them was married and whose spouse came every day.