Nightmare of Eden

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2 replies to this topic

Carlos1969

Carlos1969

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

I just watched Nightmare of Eden the other day. I had never seen it before and was apprehensive to see it because of the silly looking monsters and the stories that I had heard about the cheap production values. I decided to give this a try since Tom Baker is the first Doctor that I recall watching back in the day, and most of the episodes that I have seen from him have been good.

For the most part, Eden is an enjoyable story. Tom Baker is a bit OTT at times (My arms, my legs, my everything...),and certain parts of the story remind me of Carnival of Monsters. I thought the story had a good message though, and it held my interest more than some other Baker stories that I have seen recently, like The Leisure Hive and The Ribos Operation.

Edited by Carlos1969, Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:17 PM.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

• Interests:Doctor Who, Scarecrow & Mrs King, The Shadow (pulp and radio), Doc Savage, Old Time Radio and British Radio Drama (especially mysteries), Doctor Fu Manchu, Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Lord Peter Wimsey, Marie Corelli, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars, Zorro.

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Yeah, I mostly enjoy this one. Sometimes, I just embrace the silliness, with the poor production values, the villain's accent that shifts all over the spectrum, the shots that hit one spot while the person acts like they were hit somewhere else, and of course, the ridiculous "my arms, my legs, my everything." Other times, I can appreciate the slightly more serious side, though I do think the addictive nature of fraxoin is as over the top as some of the dialogue. And it's weird that this story has one of Tom Baker's most over the top moments and one of his more serious moments as well. His "go away" when the villain is trying to justify his drug dealing is actually reasonably understated and to the point.

On a shallow not, I must say that the green dress Romana was wearing in this is one of my least favorites of her costumes.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

There are two great moments from Four.

"Who do you work for?"
"For? I don't work FOR anyone!" (walks away) "I'm just having fun."

And at the end, when the Bad!AccentScientist is being led away...

"Doctor, don't you understand?"
(softly, but with intensity) "Go away."

There are some other cool things, like being able to step through to the worlds, but it's a bit "Carnival of Monsters," too. Still, even not-as-good Tom is good to see.