Jaqen H'ghar: A Man Can Fight

• Please log in to reply

112 replies to this topic

Zeke33

Zeke33

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

I liked how he told Arya that he had to have a name for the person she wanted him to kill--she told him to kill the one who doing the torturing, and he said "a man must have a name,' so she said he was called the Tickler, and Jaquen said that was enough. It's like a part of a rough code or something, he'll kill people, but they have to be named, or at least nicknamed, like the Tickler.

He may have just wanted to clarify exactly what target she meant. Wouldn't want to kill the wrong person. oops...

My guess is that Jaqen is
Spoiler

Edited by TWoP Dietrich, May 6, 2012 @ 10:56 AM.
Added spoiler tags

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

My guess is that Jaqen is

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by TWoP Mars, May 24, 2012 @ 9:54 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

A girl made a vow not to spoil anyone one way or the other.

I liked how he told Arya that he had to have a name for the person she wanted him to kill--she told him to kill the one who doing the torturing, and he said "a man must have a name,' so she said he was called the Tickler, and Jaquen said that was enough. It's like a part of a rough code or something, he'll kill people, but they have to be named, or at least nicknamed, like the Tickler.

A girl is guessing a man must have a soft spot for Arya, for a girl can't see how 'the Tickler' may count as a name, nickname or pseudonym.

Edited by agora, May 5, 2012 @ 11:57 AM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

Also thumbs up to whoever coined "murder genie", I'm totally stealing it.

I don't know it anyone else used it, but I called him Arya's death genie in the Completely Unspoiled Thread after the episode aired. I couldn't help but think of a genie when he said he would give her 3 deaths, because that was what we saw her wishing and praying for at night. So far it seems fitting with regard to how he grants her wish without anyone seeing him do it.

Going back to the final episode of Season 1...that must have been a hooded Jaqen in the cart at the start of the recruits' march to the Wall. I'm guessing that the actor had not been cast at the time of shooting that scene. We (the unsullied) had a great deal of fun speculating on who the hooded man was, and at least one guess was that it was a character that would become important in season 2 but had yet to be cast. Seeing who he turned out to be, I'm glad none of the other guesses were correct. This guy is a really compelling character and I look forward to seeing some of his backstory in future episodes.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

...I couldn't help but think of a genie when he said he would give her 3 deaths, because that was what we saw her wishing and praying for at night. So far it seems fitting with regard to how he grants her wish without anyone seeing him do it.

Now that you mention it, if Jaqen arrived before Lannister then he must have seen Arya make her list every night, not only because you could easily see the prisoners from the spot where he killed the Tickler, but because Arya began her list with three names before Polliver and the Mountain made their way in.

If that's how it happened, Jaqen is way more slicky than I first thought.

Edited by agora, May 5, 2012 @ 1:41 PM.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

A girl made a vow not to spoil anyone one way or the other

A girl is grateful, because right now a girl is hoping that a
Spoiler
is not as bad as it sounds

Edited by Sweeney555, May 6, 2012 @ 4:43 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

I'd say his face its not bad - and his hair, and his eyes, and his body too - but I think it's the voice what I find seriously sexy ...it's like Jaqen would be able to seduce anybody using only his voice.

Edited by agora, May 6, 2012 @ 10:24 AM.

Sukeyna

Sukeyna

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

deleted by poster

Edited by Sukeyna, May 6, 2012 @ 12:52 PM.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

His exasperated little "Ugh, if you insist" sigh to Arya, followed by the cut to Amory Lorch dropping dead, was one of the funniest scenes on this show, ever. I love this character so much.

The lightest/funniest part of the episode involved the murder of a guy by a soulless killer on a child's orders. That pretty much says all you need to know about this series. Heh.

Edited by Blue32, May 7, 2012 @ 12:14 AM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

He did it, I don't know how he did it but he actually did it!

*ETA:

His exasperated little "Ugh, if you insist" sigh to Arya, followed by the cut to Amory Lorch dropping dead, was one of the funniest scenes on this show, ever.

For a minute there, I actually thought he was looking at her like a nagging wife ...and then I remember he's old enough to be her father. Great comic timing IMO!

Edited by agora, May 6, 2012 @ 10:53 PM.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:07 AM

For a minute there, I actually thought he was looking at her like a nagging wife ...and then I remember he's old enough to be her father. Great comic timing IMO

I agree, this was my favorite scene of the night. Jaquen looked a bit like a aggrieved babysitter to me when Ayra was standing there practically yelling that it had to be !now! And then he did it. Ser Amory falling dead at Lord Tywin's door was the perfect completion to the whole scene.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

I thought only the scene with Jaqen could have the neccessary rhythm and tempo to make the transition form the emotional tone of Ser Rodrick's death to the emotional tone of a romantic comedy for Robb's & Jon's plot.

*ETA: Kudos to the writers!

Edited by agora, May 7, 2012 @ 9:38 AM.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

A girl is guessing a man must have a soft spot for Arya, for a girl can't see how 'the Tickler' may count as a name, nickname or pseudonym.

You can't see how "The Tickler" counts as a nickname?

They call him the Tickler, they don't call anyone else the Tickler, therefore it's his nickname.

It'd be the same if she said kill the Hound.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

A man must admit that he did not find the title character very cool last week, merely very creepy, more so than intended. A man is pleased that the title character addded a little huffiness in response to the request from a girl, very interesting.

A man also awaits when referring to a man as a man ceases to be funny. For some the day may have already come, but not for this man.

Blue Nocturne

Blue Nocturne

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

A man is pleased that the title character addded a little huffiness in response to the request from a girl, very interesting.

A girl was not a fan of a man in the books. A girl thought a man was too much of a cartoon.

But a girl is now convinced that a man is awesome. That huffiness at the end of the request added comic timing to the charismatic presence a man showed last week.

This girl is now a fan.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

His exasperated little "Ugh, if you insist" sigh to Arya, followed by the cut to Amory Lorch dropping dead, was one of the funniest scenes on this show, ever. I love this character so much.

The lightest/funniest part of the episode involved the murder of a guy by a soulless killer on a child's orders. That pretty much says all you need to know about this series.

That was the best and quickest bit of acting ever. Who is this guy? Never mind. I don't even care. I love him.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

This girl is also a fan. I wasn't at all in the books, he just seemed scary, though somewhat helpful. But on the Show? I just cannot help but admire that kind of casual, seemingly effortless competence. I mean, how did he even get up there, and with a poison dart, just in time, and I bet no one even noticed!

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

A man must admit that he did not find the title character very cool last week, merely very creepy, more so than intended.

To be honest, I still find him kinda creepy from time to time ...in a good way, but creepy nonetheless.

Sukeyna

Sukeyna

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

A man looks so sexy when he's annoyed.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Thanks, Sukeyna! A man does manage to look smokin' hot even when a man is being ordered by a young girl to do murder--NOW!, (and a man delivered. A man killed Amory Lorch quickly and cleanly)

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

A man looks so sexy when he's annoyed.

A girl strongly suspects a man looks sexy even when he's asleep...

To me, if this were Lost he would be Swayer, if this were True Blood he would be Eric Northman, if this were Once Upon a Time he would be the huntsman, etc. And the most amazing part for me, is that the TV character does it without using the usual plot devices nor the standad cliches.

Personally, I think it makes Jaqen a unique creature, not only for Game of Thrones, but for TV overall.

Edited by agora, May 11, 2012 @ 11:09 AM.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

A girl strongly suspects a man looks sexy even when he's asleep...

In order to absolutely confirm this, a girl volunteers to observe a sleeping man from up close :)

I love how mysterious the character is, but I admit a little more backstory would be good. Show could do that without giving away too much. I'd just like a couple of sentences with Arya saying how he ended up in that cage. Did he somehow get caught trying to murder someone in KL? I doubt he was going to the Wall on purpose, as if he needed to get there, there are much easier ways that don't include being held prisoner and forced to join the Night's Watch.

In only a couple of episodes, a man has become a girl's favorite non-major character.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

A girl must admit she did not fully appreciate a man in the books, but is now in thrall to a man for as long as he lasts.

The fact that he killed the loathesome Sir Amory Lorch is just icing on the cake.

Poppyz

Poppyz

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

A girl was a bit disappointed in Jaqen's scenes last night. I was hoping to see him fight, weasel soup, etc. I wish they had taken away some of the time given to Rob's new girlfriend and given it to Jaqen/Arya instead.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

A girl agrees. A girl wishes they had sacrificed not only the majority of Robb and his lovah's scenes, but also 99% of Jon Snow's scenes, in order to better showcase the badassery of a man. A girl hopes that this is not the last time we see a man this season.

"A man has patrol duty." A girl's favorite line of the episode.

DigiKing

DigiKing

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

There is no way that a man was caught murdering someone. One wonders if a man intended to be taken to the Wall for some reason other than bad luck. A man managed to kill all the other guards while propping them up to make them look as if they were still at attention. That's freaking skill.

And you can't spell skill without kill!

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

There is no way that a man was caught murdering someone. One wonders if a man intended to be taken to the Wall for some reason other than bad luck. A man managed to kill all the other guards while propping them up to make them look as if they were still at attention. That's freaking skill.

This is a really good point, in my opinion. Jaqen H'ghar killed five guards only so that Arya could walk through that gate without an issue, yet I'm supposed to believe this charming rogue with the skills to back it up was clumsy enough to get caught?! Personally, I don't buy it.

Edited by agora, May 21, 2012 @ 10:05 PM.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

That's a really intriguing theory -- A Man seems to have the skills of a trained assassin, and the Wall is full of men with shady and criminal pasts. Maybe someone with the right connections or money didn't feel justice had been done merely by sending someone to the Wall, and they retained Jaqen to set things right in their eyes. I am completely speculating, but yes, it seems highly suspect that the Gold Cloaks, under Janos Slynt no less, managed to catch him and keep him.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

Maybe someone with the right connections or money didn't feel justice had been done merely by sending someone to the Wall, and they retained Jaqen to set things right in their eyes.

Why choose such a long and complicated way to get Jaquen to the Wall if he was going there to assasinate someone? He could have just caught a ship going North and gotten there a lot quicker, did his work, and been off to the next assignment. Not to mention it would have been safer than a land journey with the armies starting to muster up.

joliefaire

joliefaire

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

I agree with everybody that there's no way the Gold Cloaks captured and were able to hold Jaqen in that cage--ergo, he was there voluntarily. But why? (a girl asks herself...) I doubt it was just to hitch a free ride North and I doubt it was just a means to get from Point A to Point B in order to assasinate someone at Point B--as has been said above, too complicated. So, this girl believes that Jaqen allowed himself to tag along on the journey in order to observe and gather information. Observe whom? Gather information about what? No clue!

In any case, this girl wishes Jaqen would/could just remain on-screen forever and a day. sigh...