Jaqen H'ghar: A Man Can Fight

• Please log in to reply

112 replies to this topic

Poppyz

Poppyz

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

A girl has the honor of starting a thread for the best character in the series!

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:19 AM

Great thread title Poppyz. Jaquen is one of my favorite characters, and I look forward to seeing more of him. I love his style of speech.

Edited by Sweeney555, Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:30 AM.

joliefaire

joliefaire

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

During that quick scene where Arya give Jaqen the axe, we clearly see his two-tone hair. (Be still, my beating heart!) Oh, a girl is thrilled. A girl eagerly awaits more Jaqen!

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

A man has deep respect for any character (and actor), who can refer to themselves in third person and still seem cool.

This man confesses to be a bookwalker, but was not anticipating the arrival of jaquen H'ghar, although stresses that Jaquen's introduction clearly spelled out he was to reappear, making such an admission acceptable, but is currently interested in the portrayal.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

A man has deep respect for any character (and actor), who can refer to themselves in third person and still seem cool.

A woman does too.

Does anybody else think that Jaquen knows "Arry" is a girl? Something about the way he calls her "boy" makes me suspect he sees through her disguise.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Does anybody else think that Jaquen knows "Arry" is a girl? Something about the way he calls her "boy" makes me suspect he sees through her disguise.

He seems like a fairly perceptive dude, so I'd say there's a good chance he's seen through her disguise. Not a spoiler, by the way, as I honestly don't remember much in the way of details of this storyline in the book.

I'd be surprised if he hasn't figured it out, really. Because while the disguise might fool Lommy, Hot Pie and the older recruits who probably paid no attention to Arry anyway, I can't see it fooling anyone with half a brain (see, Gendry).

I'll be honest though, and say I'm not that interested in him as a character. He's decent enough, I guess, but I don't really get the love for him. The actor's performance hasn't blown me away either, though I guess the guy hasn't had a whole lot to do, so far.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

Has the show explained why Jaquen was in the cage yet? Last year, they had rapers and thieves forced to join the Night's Watch, but as I recall none of them were being transported there in cages. Makes me think,(especially when you consider the other two guys in the cage, both of whom look pretty scary) that they are all murderers, and pretty violent ones at that. Shows how desperate the Night's Watch is getting. I hope we get some backstory on Jaquen soon.

joliefaire

joliefaire

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Has the show explained why Jaquen was in the cage yet?

No, the show hasn't explained anything at all yet about the 3 in the cage. Come on, next Sunday! Get a move on, hurry up and get here! And then the Sunday after that, and the Sunday after that... We've got questions! We've got issues to resolve!

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

Thanks joliefaire, I'm glad I didn't miss anything. I agree, show, backstory, please! Time just passes so slowly from Sunday to Sunday.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Very glad to see Jaquen in the previews for next week.

aimlessgun

aimlessgun

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

I think he noticed Arya was a girl and made a subtle joke about it when he called her over for water: "Boy, lovely boy".

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

I think he noticed Arya was a girl and made a subtle joke about it when he called her over for water: "Boy, lovely boy".

That's what I thought so as well, he seems way too smart to me, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if all the "sweet boy", "lovely boy", "pretty boy" talk was indeed his own particular way to point out that he knew that Arya was a girl all along.

Has the show explained why Jaquen was in the cage yet?

At this point, I just hope he's not a rapist to be honest.

Edited by agora, Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:23 PM.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

At this point, I just hope he's not a rapist to be honest

I don't think so, unless he's some kind of serial raper. The rapers going to the wall when Jon and Tyrion were going last season weren't in cages. Tyrion made a joke about how rapers were given the choice between the Wall and castration, and most of them chose the knife.

In the preview, Jaquen looked like he'd been doing pretty well since he'd escaped that cage--I wonder if he somehow attached himself to Lord Tywin's retinue? He told Arya that she'd stolen three lives (I'm guessing himself and the other two in the cage) from the Red God, and now she had to give them back. I'm guessing he's going to be helping her.

Wonder if the Red God he's talking about is another name for Melisandre's Lord of Light?

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

The rapers going to the wall when Jon and Tyrion were going last season weren't in cages. Tyrion made a joke about how rapers were given the choice between the Wall and castration, and most of them chose the knife.

Then again, Yoren made the point that lot was completely different to the one from King's Landing so, if Jaqen H'ghar was a serial rapist from the City, then it would make sense to me that he was more charming than menacing to lure his victims.

Edited by agora, Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:05 PM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

A man can watch Final Destination.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

A girl is happy a man made an appearance on the latest episode, a girl hopes a man may stay on Harrenhal.

DigiKing

DigiKing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

And as he said, he was in fact aware that Arya was female all along. He's pretty much my favorite character who might also be a sociopath on this show.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I liked how he told Arya that he had to have a name for the person she wanted him to kill--she told him to kill the one who doing the torturing, and he said "a man must have a name,' so she said he was called the Tickler, and Jaquen said that was enough. It's like a part of a rough code or something, he'll kill people, but they have to be named, or at least nicknamed, like the Tickler.

Also, when Arya was looking up at him after she saw the Tickler's body, and he held up one finger to his face, was kinda scary. Like 1 down, 2 to go.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I said previously that I didn't get the Jaqen love, in the books. And I didn't in the show either, until this episode. He killed it in that scene with Arya. His absolute confidence and assurance, and his calm, quiet demeanour, it just felt right for the character.

I kind of want to see him interact with other characters as well, to see if this manner is for dealing with Arya, a skittish, lonely girl with serious trust issues, or whether it's just how he is.

And I loved that we didn't see him kill The Tickler. The mystery of it works really well for the character. Does he set a trap for his victims? Does he overpower them? Does he sneak up and take them out before they know he's there? And it also raises the question, would he be able to kill Tywin or The Mountain as easily as he apparently did The Tickler?

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

I am really happy with Tom Wlaschiha's performance last night. In an episode packed with stuff he conveyed Jaqen's mystique and coolness very well.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

I really can't too see what Arya's death genie does next!

miasohn

miasohn

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Excellent job by Wlaschiha making this mysterious and sometimes downright weird character come to life in a mesmerizing, exciting way.

I especially liked the way he handled Arya's bitter, "You're one of them now. I should have let you burn," by reminding her that she did have a choice (to live) in deciding to serve Tywin. Just an all-around terrific scene.

joliefaire

joliefaire

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

And just to add to Jaqen's aura of dangerous mystique.. anybody notice that the Tickler's head was on backwards after Jaqen was finished with him? A Man is eerie scary... It is known.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

And as he said, he was in fact aware that Arya was female all along. He's pretty much my favorite character who might also be a sociopath on this show.

If he weren't so scarily smart, one would think he has a little bit of witch in him. After all, he carefully used the same words in front of Arya that Mirri herself used on Dany last season.

Blue Nocturne

Blue Nocturne

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

Excellent job by Wlaschiha making this mysterious and sometimes downright weird character come to life in a mesmerizing, exciting way.

Agreed. In the books he almost seemed cartoonish to me, but in the series he's absolutely riveting. Wlaschiha has got some serious presence and charisma.

Malle Babbe

Malle Babbe

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

A man can have fantastic hair, and really should share his secrets with all of the greasy dudes on Westeros.

nicotico

nicotico

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I agree with all the people upthread in saying that I really didn't get why people fawned over Jaqen in the books, but the show completely sold me on him. The calm, confident speaking style makes a man's cartoonish lack of pronouns less grating, and he has me convinced that indeed "anyone can be killed". I can't wait to see the other two murder wishes.

Also thumbs up to whoever coined "murder genie", I'm totally stealing it.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

A man can have fantastic hair, and really should share his secrets with all of the greasy dudes on Westeros.

I'd say a man is rather sexy for a commoner, under Westerosi standards or my own.

Edited by agora, May 3, 2012 @ 6:01 PM.

badkitty1969

badkitty1969

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

A man is a hottie. A girl would definitely hit that.

Zeke33

Zeke33

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

I liked how he told Arya that he had to have a name for the person she wanted him to kill--she told him to kill the one who doing the torturing, and he said "a man must have a name,' so she said he was called the Tickler, and Jaquen said that was enough. It's like a part of a rough code or something, he'll kill people, but they have to be named, or at least nicknamed, like the Tickler.

He may have just wanted to clarify exactly what target she meant. Wouldn't want to kill the wrong person. oops...

My guess is that Jaqen is one of the Faceless Men. If so, it would explain why everybody is scared shitless of them, and why they cost so much to hire. This guy gives the impression that he really could kill literally anyone.