7-21: "Now We're Even" 2012.04.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

47 replies to this topic

JessH

JessH

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

I think the key to these episodes is that its a journey for Ted, but the viewers also like the rest of the ensemble.

This episode is just a checkpoint for Ted to meet the mother. I agree with the posters who said he needs to learn to be on his own, which he has never been before. And Ted has to be in the city to meet the mother because the odds of him meeting her in West Chester seems very, very slim.

I don't totally love Barney and Quinn, but I think they work well and she shows off Barney's characterization really well.

And the thing about Robin and the ID badge and Robin and Fame; there is a thing about famous people wanting more of that celebrity. That's why we have celebrity reality shows. And the guard knew everyone BUT her and there was a giant picture of her right in front of him, but he still demanded an id flash.

Junkenpo

Junkenpo

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

I will go on record again as saying that I liked this episode and the last episode even if they are "filler". They've been relatively light-hearted for what has been for me a way too dramatic and emotionally laden season.

My question is... Quinn is a stripper, yes, I get it...but does she have more background than that? What about her family? I do like the idea of Barney having a match & someone who "gets" him, but what, if anything will she bring to the relationship longterm? Does she have a weird personality change due to emotional trauma like Barney? We've been told she'd stop if she got married, but what kind of credentials does she have to do something else? Does she have a secret PhD in something and just does stripping for hoots at the moment?

If she's a match for pervy Barney now, what will keep her his equal after?

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

It's not that she had the dream, but it's that she didn't tell him about it. She told him of all the others, and he was cool. When she doesn't tell him, it makes him think it's something she may really want to happen.

She told him about the others because they were celebrities/fictional characters. Except for Robin, because that's already out there. But still, does he really think Lily seriously has the hots for Ranjeet and would act on it? No, she was embarrassed about the dream and didn't want to tell him. Cuz you know, normal people don't tell even their spouses about every freaking thing that happens in their day, or in their dreams. It was just stupid. Honestly, if Marshall's going to feel jealously about a fanatasy of Lily's, Robin makes more sense because they are best friends. But it's two girls, so it's hawt. :eyeroll:

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

This episode is just a checkpoint for Ted to meet the mother. I agree with the posters who said he needs to learn to be on his own, which he has never been before.

I could buy this, but there's more to learning to be alone than eating soup naked and then rushing out with Barney to have epic adventures about reuniting Genesis (with so many lines about Genesis, couldn't they have Mike Rutherford or somebody make a short guest appearance? He's probably not up to anything these days). When you are old enough to where your friends disappear and you only see them once a month or once a week at best, that's when life really changes.

It seems like they torpedoed Ted's growth to tell a boring Barney story.

Edited by TheOverdog, Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:07 AM.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

It's not that she had the dream, but it's that she didn't tell him about it. She told him of all the others, and he was cool. When she doesn't tell him, it makes him think it's something she may really want to happen.

She told him about the others because they were celebrities/fictional characters. Except for Robin, because that's already out there. But still, does he really think Lily seriously has the hots for Ranjeet and would act on it? No, she was embarrassed about the dream and didn't want to tell him. Cuz you know, normal people don't tell even their spouses about every freaking thing that happens in their day, or in their dreams. It was just stupid. Honestly, if Marshall's going to feel jealously about a fanatasy of Lily's, Robin makes more sense because they are best friends. But it's two girls, so it's hawt. :eyeroll:

Marshall really pissed me off in this episode. I know it's a fictional show, but I really can't get over him leaving Lily to fend for herself on the street while he went ahead to the fancy restaurant without her. And that the resolution turned out to be, "Oh, you're just a crazy hormonal pregnant woman so I'll forgive your bouts of senselessness, you poor widdle ting." And we're all supposed to just forgive him because he's a nervous dad-to-be with a "crazy" pregnant wife. That's such mysogynistic bullsh*t.

I could buy this, but there's more to learning to be alone than eating soup naked and then rushing out with Barney to have epic adventures about reuniting Genesis (with so many lines about Genesis, couldn't they have Mike Rutherford or somebody make a short guest appearance? He's probably not up to anything these days). When you are old enough to where your friends disappear and you only see them once a month or once a week at best, that's when life really changes.

It seems like they torpedoed Ted's growth to tell a boring Barney story.

I'm hoping future episodes leave him learning to fend for himself while the other four are off doing their own thing. Without acting like a 19 year-old whose parents are away for the weekend. Sometimes there really IS nothing better than sitting in front of the TV in your underwear and eating a bucket of ribs, but do it every single night and it's just sad. Like Ted said, if EVERY night is legendary then NO night is really legendary. Whether that means bringing a horse into a bar or walking around your apartment naked.

Hell, maybe he'll go out and make some new friends.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Apparently, she has a hissy fit because a security guard doesn't recognize her but recognizes Sandy Rivers. I can't believe somebody would care so much about having to show ID every day to enter a building.

I don't know if the writer(s) was aware of it, but a similar story involving a famous tv journalist did happen about 30 years ago. I know this because my cousin was the security guard who would not allow the journalist in without an id badge. In an article that came out a few years ago, this journalist laughed it off and said it was a "humbling experience" or words to that effect. Of course, at the time, it was not taken that way. The journalist was a lot angrier than Robin and wanted my cousin fired.

She told him about the others because they were celebrities/fictional characters. Except for Robin, because that's already out there. But still, does he really think Lily seriously has the hots for Ranjeet and would act on it? No, she was embarrassed about the dream and didn't want to tell him. Cuz you know, normal people don't tell even their spouses about every freaking thing that happens in their day, or in their dreams. It was just stupid.

However, if we are going to accept all that we've heard, then Marshall and Lily do tell each other everything. Including what they've had to eat and how their bathroom trips are proceeding. So, here is a case where Lily didn't tell Marshall something. Stupid yes, but not really out of character for Marshall to be upset. And, it was nice seeing Ranjit again.

That being said, this was another meh episode. Once again, we had a joke beaten to death (the signs of the legendary night) to the point where it became sad. I do hope Robin had regained her mojo and returns to being the character I enjoyed the first 4 or so seasons.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I agree with the posters who said he needs to learn to be on his own, which he has never been before.

I agree that it's a good idea for someone to learn to be on their own but, since this is a sitcom that I now hate myself for watching, I would be just fine with them skipping a few of the thousands of tiny slow-motion baby steps that Ted needs to take in order to be perfectly honed enough to meet this Holy Grail of a mother. It would make me feel like slightly less of a chump.

hnygrl808

hnygrl808

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

I just had a funny thought....we continue to watch this show, even though, by now? We're soooo over it. But we watch. Week after week. And hate ourselves for it. And wonder why don't we just stop? But we all know, next week? We'll be watching, hoping, praying it'll FINALLY be GOOD again...

Are we in an abusive relationship with HIMYM?

MarenAte

MarenAte

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

When Robin was getting calls from everyone she knew, I was absolutely expecting her to get a call from Don. I had completely forgotten that she and Ted weren't speaking. Or maybe I'd forgotten to care. A call from Don would have been a nice way to end the episode, leaving room for some actual life for Robin.

Edited by MarenAte, Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:13 PM.

brybry

brybry

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

Next season...I'd like to see Ted lose faith a little. Deal with being heartbroken over Robin...that it will never happen....maybe be depressed....then act out by being a little like Barney in some aspects, embrace being single. After all he does live in NYC. It would be interesting to see a switch-a-roo between Barney and Ted. Ted doesn't have to be as ridiculous as Barney, but he could act out a little, embrace what he perceives as his new reality which is completely different from what he always thought it would be. Seriously why does Ted have to be "ready" when he meets the mother. That's complete BS. Very few people are "ready" when they meet the one. It just happens....mostly when you are not ready, sometimes at your lowest moments.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

I don't think "ready" is meant in the sense that he's actually expecting to meet the love of his life. "Ready" means that he's no longer totally dependent on his friends, pining away for Robin, or thinking that his life has to follow some perfect timeline.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Now, the writers retconned her to show the reason that she became a journalist is to be famous.

I don't find this a complete retconned. Robin has never had any interest in being a print journalist that I can see. She wanted to be on tv. This is someone who was on a tv show as a kid, then a pop star, then a series of tv jobs, etc...from where I'm standing she's always been interested in fame more than 'serious' journalism. This episode's Robin story with the guard (i would be annoyed too. You don't have to be famous for the security guard at your building to start to recognize you eventually!) reminded me a little of the episode where she was supposed to be on the VIP list and got very excited.

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

However, if we are going to accept all that we've heard, then Marshall and Lily do tell each other everything. Including what they've had to eat and how their bathroom trips are proceeding. So, here is a case where Lily didn't tell Marshall something. Stupid yes, but not really out of character for Marshall to be upset. And, it was nice seeing Ranjit again.

True, Lily and Marshall are the definition of The Oversharing Couple.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Oh, I love this idea that Ted has to be at peace with being alone before he meets The Mother. It makes total sense. If you're codependent, how do you even know you've found someone special and you're not just clinging to someone because you're codependent? Someone who doesn't find being alone to be the end of world would know when someone special comes along, because you would be willing to give up the very valuable "eat ribs and drink beer naked in front of the TV" time for this person. Heehee.

Ted's whole "living alone" bit was great. Especially the excitement in his voice about every little thing.

I especially love how Marshall started to spout the platitudes about getting lonely and having someone to share things with, but he couldn't finish and just had to admit living alone is awesome.

Cracked me up the way Barney apparently got back to the booth with super-speed (complete with sound effect) all: "Sex dream? Do tell." And he has been trying to "inception" Lily for five years. Marshall: "That movie only came out two years ago." Barney: "What movie?" Bwha!

Yeah, the way Marshall got so mad later was lame, but I liked some of the little bits that this sex-dream plot brought in, especially the inception reference.

I teared up a little when Robin landed the helicopter, I was oddly proud of her even though her father isn't proud of her and she's a fictional character.

I guess there have been times when I was hoping the show would get to The Mother already when I was sick of watching Ted get desperate. But now, I like this "loves alone time" Ted. He's awesome. It's almost too bad we already know this will end and he'll be lame-dad Ted soon enough.

BrandyLeigh

BrandyLeigh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

I wonder if Stephanie (the girl whose number Barney got while wearing a dress) is going to come up later, or if she's just another red herring.

I wondered if it might be the "Steph" from the t-shirt Marshall is wearing in that flashforward we saw of him and Barney in Atlantic City from earlier in the season. That hasn't happened yet, and Marshall's shirt says something like "Marshall and Steph 4EVA".

I didn't think this episode was that great, either, though it wasn't the worst. I actually liked the stuff with Robin, though, and I think they should've spent more time on that if anything. I mean, of course she's not going to die, but if you're going to do an episode about how Robin gets famous, you should spend a little more time on it. Ted and Barney's nights weren't that legendary, and I could see Barney being bothered by Quinn being a stripper a mile away. Clearly, that's a setup for him to propose since she said she'd stop stripping if she got married. Marshall and Lily's storyline wasn't that funny, either. I did enjoy Ted being so excited about living alone, though.

A call from Don would have been a nice way to end the episode, leaving room for some actual life for Robin.

I'm biased because Don is my least favorite love interest from this show, but my personal feelings about him aside, why would he ever call her? She called him repeatedly in that one episode towards the beginning of Season 6 and left hateful messages on his voicemail about how she was going to go to Chicago and kill him and eat his face on a pizza or something.

Edited by BrandyLeigh, Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:56 PM.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

I may be anal about it, but this is something I know a bit.

Why both of Robin hands were on the cyclic when she landed the helicopter? She can not possibly do that without controlling the collective.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

She can not possibly do that without controlling the collective.

Oh, you're talking about the helicopter. Before clicking the link, I was wondering how Robin rose to be leader of The Borg.

Loverly Emma

Loverly Emma

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Being a Broadway slut, watching crappy shows and pretending they're not crappy.

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

I had honestly forgotten that Ted and Robin aren't speaking or are fighting or whatever.

Lily and Marshall's plotline was blah.

I liked Barney and Ted's plotline. I really enjoyed the Genesis part.