7-21: "Now We're Even" 2012.04.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

47 replies to this topic

Astor

Astor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Just as Ted starts to settle into his new apartment alone, Barney tries to entice him into going out every single night. Meanwhile, Lily has a naughty dream about someone other then Marshall, and Robin finally becomes a famous news anchor

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

Zzzzzzz

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

Marshall's an ass.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

I guess I liked a couple of things, but not much. Marshall/Lily's plot was stupid. I would have rather seen more detail on the Barney/Lily mermaid theory fight, to be honest. On the plus side, Quinn is growing on me. I still don't really like her and Barney as a couple and find their relationship moving very quickly to my taste, but I don't cringe anymore when I see her, which I guess is progress.

I still am bugged by Robin's hair. Grow it back out, girl. But this fifteen minutes of fame won't last long, I bet. Good to see Sandy again, I guess.

Loved seeing Ranjit. That guy's always a hoot. Which brings me to the funniest moment of the show; when Marshall and Lily are in the limo and Ranjit keeps eavesdropping.

Other than that, pretty meh episode. But better than some of the episodes this season that I've seen.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

A couple of hours after airing, this episode has 4 posts. Because it was booooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggg!
How can I abhor a show this much, watch it (nearly) every week, and then hate myself when I do. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Please. Meet the bleeping mother already & let me get my self respect back. Ugh.
Boring!

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

I wonder if Stephanie (the girl whose number Barney got while wearing a dress) is going to come up later, or if she's just another red herring.

vienibenmio

vienibenmio

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

My fiance is a pilot and he said that it's super fakey that Robin was able to land that helicopter. He said even he probably wouldn't have been able to do it.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

I liked it, actually. I think you could drop the Marshall/Lily stuff but I enjoyed everything else. I like the episodes that focus on Ted, though, so maybe I was primed to like it.

bluezinnia

bluezinnia

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I feel like we've seen a few guns on the mantel:
  • Barney is getting married
  • Quinn would quit stripping for her husband
  • Barney likes it that Quinn's a stripper, but hates it that she's stripping
  • They're moving very fast
I don't see where Robin has a place in this, but Ted's text had a very make-up feel. I don't think that Robin's the mother, but keep trying to find ways for them to get together. Maybe Ted's a widower, and that's why she learns to love his kids before Marshall and Lily's? We're running out of time: the mother needs to be introduced very soon!

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

How the mighty have fallen. This show has gone to shit. I used to think this could be one of the best shows, but the last season and a half have just been so incredibly weak. They really need to just get on with it or cut the show off. I don't care about the made up nonsense they do anymore. It's a waste. And a tease. It used to be a good show. Now it is just completely tedious. I forget about the show completely until Monday evening at around 7pm, and then the next day it is completely gone. The show is completely throwaway.

TwizzWhizz11

TwizzWhizz11

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

Some of the one-liners and dialogue is still pretty funny, but the overall plot of the episodes (the important stuff, I guess) is pretty weak.

I love when they make future/past references and I was looking forward to this episode from the mermaid episode last season, but, overall, not very strong. I understand Barney's dilemma and everything seems to point to a Quinn/Barney wedding.

The thing I hated the most, probably, was that no one was there to great Robin when she landed the helicopter. I mean, her best friends in the world were content to just watch her on TV? No wonder she disappears for a while.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:58 AM

I didn't think the helicopter story line was funny at all. There's nothing funny about someone almost dying - at least not how they did it.

I agree that this episode was a snooze. It was over before I realized it had started. Zzzzzzz, indeed.

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

The CBS promo monkeys spoiled who Lily was dreaming about.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

I was watching this show while reading a book (yeah, that's where it's at for me), and I got to a commercial and figured that the episode was almost over. But, no! I wasn't even at the first commercial break!

I really don't know why I'm watching this... at this point it's like, "I guess I'll just finish it, but I won't enjoy it."

Show. You suck.

Only thing I liked? Ted's "living alone is awesome" montage. Once in a while when my husband is away for a trip or something I do ALL those things! (Well, it's not chicken, but it is a whole lot of takeout containers worth of Thai food).

GilvearSt

GilvearSt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

I've never had a close friend in a life of death situation, but I would like to think that I wouldn't text her, I would go and see her in person. The only person I give a pass to is Ted because of their weird not talking situation and him not wanting to break a new boundary without establishing if that would be okay first. But for Lily, Barney and Marshall to text Robin is weird. She should have died in that situation. Landing a helicopter is not something a normal person can just do. When Ted was in the car crash, Barney ran across the city and now a text is enough.

The one thing I really did like was the guys assuming right away that if Lily had a sex dream about someone they knew, it was Robin.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

She spoke to Lily, Marshall and Barney on the phone.

I also thought it was weird that Ted texted her. I know they are keeping their distance for now, and I know that the point when they finally see each other again is one of those B.S. "But I'll get to that" excuses that Future Ted uses* ... but really, Ted couldn't have picked up the phone and left a voicemail saying that he's glad she's still alive?

* Speaking of that, I got a chuckle out of him saying he'd get back to the security guard's band story, and then saying, "You know what, I probably won't, so here's the story right now. They had one hit and it didn't suck, the end." At first I thought he might turn out to be in the same band as The Mother, and now I'm wondering if that, too, was yet another Fake-Out.

I was really floored that Marshall was being such a baby that he allowed his eight-months-pregnant wife to get out of the car and go off on her own and miss a fancy dinner that they'd both been looking forward to. Really, douche, you couldn't just apologize for your stupid grudge even just to get her back in the car? Marshall can usually do no wrong in my eyes, but I was really disappointed at what a dick move that was.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

Between this episode and last week's it really feels that they're just treading water and biding time until Barney's wedding.

I'm happy to Robin get a little bit of her mojo back, but I really miss badass Robin from earlier seasons. This iteration of her as a woman who needs constant validation is a bit lame.

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

Yeah... this episode sucked. I agree with the poster who said the Ted living alone was the only funny thing. The whole sex dream/jealousy thing was so stupid. I mean, Lily comes on to Robin from time to time and Marshall's not jealous of that? But a random dream about Ranjeet, and he's all mad? Still don't buy Barney and Quinn, feels too forced. Wardrobe and hair still hate Robin apparently.

Edited by TWoP Roxy, Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:09 PM.
boards on boards

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Wardrobe and hair still hate Robin apparently.

I immediately said, "They used that image from Colbie's interview" when they showed "Robin" visiting Letterman as a result of her helicopter fiasco. Because she actually looked good. Not because of the logic behind it (using an image from a CBS actor visiting a CBS talk show and just pretending that it's the character rather than the actor).

Not sure if I explained that clearly. Just a roundabout way of agreeing that, yeah, Season 7 Robin looks like crap, which is a shame because Colbie is gorgeous.

Syma

Syma

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

I wonder if the writers or actors noticed that this episode wan't funny.

SydNC

SydNC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

But a random dream about Ranjeet, and he's all mad?

It's not that she had the dream, but it's that she didn't tell him about it. She told him of all the others, and he was cool. When she doesn't tell him, it makes him think it's something she may really want to happen.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

Was there a camera guy in the helicopter?

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I liked Ted's realization about how awesome it is to live alone. I may have done a few of those activities myself once I started to live alone (except eat soup naked that just sounds like a bad idea). BUT, his apartment seemed way too nice for what I presume to be his income level. I know that many shows are set in NYC and they always have super nice places to live. I really just have to always suspend belief on the apartments any of my show characters live in, but I find it so hard when they're living in a nicer place than I do and I live in Texas where rent is cheap!

I liked Barney's difficulty with what Quinn does. I appreciate that he is struggling with accepting what she does for a living and then coming home to him at night. I like that Quinn is keeping her job, too. I like that she doesn't want to be a 'kept' woman.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Ted should have been reading this book during this episode.

wrxfanatic

wrxfanatic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Barney and Quinn -- never going to happen. There's nothing funny or quirky or endearing or anything about him getting together with a stripper. This is not a worthy end to the Barney character I once loved. They're already pointing out that even he can't look past the fact that SHE IS A STRIPPER.
Lily and Marshall -- just treading water until they become physically exhausted and sink out of sight.
Robin -- the writers must hate you. Didn't your life have a point once?
Ted -- you're obviously clinically depressed and likely to jump off the roof of your new, fabulous but totally lonely apartment. You don't know what to do with yourself, and neither do the writers.

Reese2029

Reese2029

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

Horrible episode. The only funny part was Ted living alone; specfically, his reaction to spilling soup on himself. Why is Ted living at an apartment when he has a house? I would assume that he has to live somewhere else because the house was completely gutted. However, the audience has to make the connection because of lazy writing.

When Ted was in the dress, I remembered that Ted was dressed in a hot dog costume in a flash forward. Did the writers ever return to it?

Marshall and Lily's fight over a sex dream was stupid. Sometimes, they fight over the stupidest reason.

I'm happy to Robin get a little bit of her mojo back, but I really miss badass Robin from earlier seasons. This iteration of her as a woman who needs constant validation is a bit lame.

Apparently, she has a hissy fit because a security guard doesn't recognize her but recognizes Sandy Rivers. I can't believe somebody would care so much about having to show ID every day to enter a building.

Robin came to NYC to be a journalist. Then, at some point, she wanted to be a coin flip bimbo. Now, the writers retconned her to show the reason that she became a journalist is to be famous.

tone

tone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

What are we 4, maybe 5, episodes left until the end of season? Surely the plot has to move along and the stories get better from here on in, because that was crap.

wrxfanatic

wrxfanatic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

Maybe the reason Ted is descending into a solitary rut is that they are setting us up for a dramatic change when he meets (wait for the drumroll) THE MOTHER!
Or, far more likely, the entire show is just drifting aimlessly on the seas of bad writing.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Maybe the reason Ted is descending into a solitary rut is that they are setting us up for a dramatic change when he meets (wait for the drumroll) THE MOTHER!

I think this makes sense.

He said it himself - this is the first time he's lived alone. There was a photo montage in a past episode where he was always glued to Marshall and Lily (the trip to Paris, the Salt-Pepper-Paprika Halloween costume, etc.). He said to either Robin or Marshall in another past episode that by that year of his life he'd planned to be married and expecting a baby. He had been living his entire adult life based on an imaginary timeline. He has also been living his life based on other people ... he figured he'd always have Marshall and Lily (and later Robin and Barney) as a crutch until he met the perfect woman and then he could go off and have a family with her and rely on all of them to complete his life.

He doesn't know how to be happy with himself just yet, because he thinks he absolutely needs other people to make his life worthwhile. M&L are pretty much out of the picture (although I think that keeping them in Long Island would've helped push that a bit more), he's lost Robin, and the buildup to Barney's eventual wedding is probably what's going to make him lose Barney. He's going to be by himself soon and he has to be O.K. with that, in order to get a woman to really love him. Nobody's going to fall in love forever with someone who's totally dependent on his friends.

Which echoes back to what Victoria said about how him, Barney and Robin at the bar every night "doesn't work." And it also echoes back to a few statements Future Ted has made to the kids, about how he needed to become the man he needed to be before he could meet The Mother. The thing with destiny and the right timeline and all that ... if he'd met her at the Saint Patrick's Day party, she wouldn't have liked him and then it would've all been over.

However,

Or, far more likely, the entire show is just drifting aimlessly on the seas of bad writing.

I think this makes even more sense.

Edited by mbd, Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:21 AM.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

Between this episode and last week's it really feels that they're just treading water and biding time until Barney's wedding.

Thats how I feel right now. It seems like all filler until they can get to the wedding and Lilly having the baby

Not an impressive episode in the least.